• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magilla

Banned
Finally got a chance to see it last night.

sogood.gif

Combination of satire while at the same time executing the tropes extremely well was awesome. Really happy I saw it in a semi-full theater. The audience I saw it with was really into it as well.

noah111

Still Alive
Ok, I haven't seen ANY trailers or footage for this whatsoever. Can't wait to watch it, no clue what i'm going into tbh.

Got the Visual Companion last night. It's really awesome, well worth it. The only thing I didn't like was that the book's format kind of warped the text of the screenplay (even though all the concept art and production notes are amazing), unlike the Godfather Screenplay, which had notes along the side. The script itself was also not formatted in usual Final Draft standard, which bugged the shit out of me, because I'm a by-the-book writer when it comes to to format. It was also interesting reading all of the deleted scenes that we'll be seeing on the DVD. There's a cut scene at the
gas station which was most likely cut because, while it is funny as fuck and directly in spirit with the comedy of the horror, it would have made the scene more absurd than tense. Also, Kevin and the Angry Molesting Tree are featured more. As well as Nosferatu

Ri'Orius

I saw this movie a week ago, thoroughly enjoyed it (despite not having much of a background in horror, I'd heard of enough cliches to recognize most of them. Also, having played Betrayal at the House on the Hill helped). But I do have one question:

I've forgotten the specifics, but as I recall they said that the tunnel didn't blow because of a call from "upstairs." What was that about? It came up in a way that seemed to imply that it was an important detail, but I have no idea what it was hinting towards.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I saw this movie a week ago, thoroughly enjoyed it (despite not having much of a background in horror, I'd heard of enough cliches to recognize most of them. Also, having played Betrayal at the House on the Hill helped). But I do have one question:

I've forgotten the specifics, but as I recall they said that the tunnel didn't blow because of a call from "upstairs." What was that about? It came up in a way that seemed to imply that it was an important detail, but I have no idea what it was hinting towards.

At that time in the movie the people in that control room did not know the stoner or fool was still alive. When the stoner appears to be dead they pull the lever, the blood goes down and the beast below roars, the workers say it is getting excited but really it is rejecting the blood because the stoner is not dead. Might have been a way to abort the mission. I have no clue really.

I saw it about a week ago too but
I thought the tunnel didn't blow because something in the system malfunctioned. A loose wire or something that they brushed off and neglected.

-_-

Banned
Loved the movie and will buy it. Only gripe is that
I wish they put off the twist that the kids were being controlled until a little later like after they go in the basement and look at the artifacts.
Having it right in the beginning kind throws off the flow of things because you have an inkling something is off. So I would have much preferred it if they cut the first three minutes and
introduced the org. when one of their ops was on the roof phoning the report
, that way you're kind of like "what" but slips away from your mind a little.

Also the trailer for Lincoln was a Vampire Hunter with a "hot ass" Mary Todd Lincoln in the beginning...What. The. Fuck. This makes Piranhas 3DD look like Hamlet

totowhoa

Banned
Loved the movie. I could tell it was poking fun at the genre at points in the movie (they really laid it on thick with the blonde girl, and not in a bad way), but it was great reading up on some of the other points mentioned in here that I totally missed. I won't bother mentioning them again since they're already all over the last two pages, but yeah, it gave me an even greater appreciation for the movie. The movie was just a lot of fun, and it avoided being too gruesome (I'm not a big fan of torture-gore type scenes; they're not scary, just gross). I wouldn't have minded a lengthier horror section, but I really loved the pacing over all. Best horror/comedy/action/adventure/sci-fi movie I've seen :p

I'd also agree that this is the best horror film I've seen in years. I've been hyped for a couple of films over the last few years by GAF, and each one has let me down.

JMizzlin

Saw it tonight with a packed audience. Was great fun. A group of women in the row in front of me were absolutely losing it at everything, which made it even more enjoyable. Didn't know anything about it going it which I think was a good thing. At first I thought it was being set up
as though the organization was making snuff films, or simply manufacturing horror films that exist in the real world
so it was quite strange when it
turned out to be ancient gods and blood rituals. That said, any sense of rationality went out the window when the zombies emerged.

Is it just me or did that final scene had some genuinely disturbing stuff ?

Yep, I felt that too.
It was pure carnage. I found it super tense watching so many horrific events unfold, though I felt due to the scale of it they kind of cancelled each other out, at least. That scene and the one where the lead is getting beaten up by the zombie while everyone is celebrating were the ones that got to me quite a bit

Good film though, some enjoyable jump scares.

big ander

It'd be a cool release date sort of but I like it better how horror blus have mid- to late-september release dates. allows me to stockpile some and watch all through october. If it came out on Halloween I wouldn't see it in time

Also, Cabin is only the second best horror movie coming out on 9/18. The clear number one is here.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It'd be a cool release date sort of but I like it better how horror blus have mid- to late-september release dates. allows me to stockpile some and watch all through october. If it came out on Halloween I wouldn't see it in time

Also, Cabin is only the second best horror movie coming out on 9/18. The clear number one is here.

Commentary track by Tom "Fucking" Atkins! Day one!

"Three more days 'til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween. Three more days' til Halloween, Silver Shamrock!!"

Magilla

Banned
Inject the Blu-ray of H1,2, and 3 directly into my veins and I will OD happy.

On topic: Cabin in the Woods is really good too

I'm kinda confused
about the different sites around the world doing their rituals like the Japanese.

So the Japanese suceeded as shown in that quick clip but the americans failed and the god rose up.

But does that mean there will be a pissed off god destroying stuff in America while Japan is ok?

Or is it like every site around the world is just trying to appease their own god thats underneath?

iammeiam

I'm kinda confused
about the different sites around the world doing their rituals like the Japanese.

So the Japanese suceeded as shown in that quick clip but the americans failed and the god rose up.

But does that mean there will be a pissed off god destroying stuff in America while Japan is ok?

Or is it like every site around the world is just trying to appease their own god thats underneath?

You misunderstood what happened--
Japan totally failed. Nobody died; the girls putting the ghost in the frog was the Japan ritual ending in complete failure, which nobody was expecting. USA was the last hope for appeasement at that point since every other site had failed to complete their sacrifices.

Radec

I'm kinda confused

They all failed the Gods, hence the apocalypse.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G33O0G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

September 18th.

I'm a bit disappointed it's not Halloween.

Am I alone in totally hating that there is no combo-pack release? Not all of my friends have BluRay players and I don't want to have to buy two separate versions just to be able to watch it with friends. l can understand doing a stand-alone DVD release, but I feel like for the price, all BluRay releases should be combo-packs.

I'm disappointed it's $34. Especially for a single Blu-ray disk. I pre-ordered it, but I'm hoping it gets a price drop into the $20's, otherwise I'll cancel and pick it up later.

LakeEarth

Am I alone in totally hating that there is no combo-pack release? Not all of my friends have BluRay players and I don't want to have to buy two separate versions just to be able to watch it with friends. l can understand doing a stand-alone DVD release, but I feel like for the price, all BluRay releases should be combo-packs.

Seriously. I want to share this movie with everyone I know! I bought the Breaking Bad seasons on DVD specifically for this reason.

drspeedy

rip it to digital and stream it via dropbox/skydrive/orb/roku/whatever. I can't imagine not having all my media available from anywhere these days.

I think a sequel would probably be going against the very message of the movie, too.

I still wanna see another one tho

Indeed, but I had hoped that they
would come to realize the sacrifice they have to make, and do it...
... therefore, leaving room for a sequel.

The movie is such a fantastic flip of the formula, I'd hate to see it wasted on a single film.

Indeed, but I had hoped that they
would come to realize the sacrifice they have to make, and do it...
... therefore, leaving room for a sequel.

The movie is such a fantastic flip of the formula, I'd hate to see it wasted on a single film.

They can always make a prequel (or several!)

totowhoa

Banned
Is the movie gory?

Nothing too bad, mostly stuff typical of a horror movie. A lot of the worse stuff is off scene or mostly in the dark. No shock gore. Probably actually has less gore than a lot of horror movies, but it's been a few months since I've seen it.

They talk about the plot for a sequel in the Art Of book.

rip it to digital and stream it via dropbox/skydrive/orb/roku/whatever. I can't imagine not having all my media available from anywhere these days.
That does me no good - the people I know that don't have BluRay players don't have any of that shit. They have a DVD player. I might as well tell them to gather around my iPad if I was just going to rip it.

remz

Nothing too bad, mostly stuff typical of a horror movie. A lot of the worse stuff is off scene or mostly in the dark. No shock gore. Probably actually has less gore than a lot of horror movies, but it's been a few months since I've seen it.

No shock gore? really?

the elevator would like to have words with you

I'd say CitW is bloody, not gory. Gory, to me, implies that people are getting their guts pulled out, sawed open, torn apart, etc on-screen and graphically. There is a shitload of blood though, more often than not used for comedic effect. That's not to say there aren't brief moments of gore, such as (very generalized descriptions)
someone getting stabbed
or
zombies eating guts in the background
but I would not classify it as a gory movie at all.

Ratrat

I thought it sucked. Other movies have done the commentary thing and probably better too. Scream, Funny Games.It's a movie mocking tropes by having nothing but tropes. I would have enjoyed it had I not been expecting an actually scary horror film.

I did like the visuals towards the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom