• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Truly phenomenal film!

I could've sworn Marty was going to declare himself a virgin at the end and blow the girl away to save the world. Instead we got God of War Chronos fist eruption.
That ending would have been incredible.

I hated this movie, but I can understand why others enjoy it.

Every time the pothead opened his mouth, just....ugh. This was more "RANDUMB" than Scott Pilgrim, another one I didn't care for.
Pothead was the best character in the movie, what are you talking about?!

I also liked the
black guy... Shame he didn't make it.

Magnus

Highlights for me:

(obviously massive spoilers)

• That fucking unicorn
• Miraculous bear trap escapes
• The first money shot when the elevator doors open
• The first cut back to that shot with the monsters feasting
• Pot being the ultimate defense
• A fucking Death-Eater showing up alongside the rest of the creatures.

Missed opportunities:

• Having Chris' character manage to electrocute or hammer a zombie for a brutal Thor in-joke

And shit, I wish I realized at the time that that was a merman feasting on Brad's character. God damn.

That ending would have been incredible.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, haha.

If you're not, thanks!
Yeah, I mean, I wasn't exactly satisfied with that ending despite massively enjoying the film anyway. The one I suggested almost seemed to write itself...but I guess that's why they didn't go with it. Even though it would have been so very Joss. The girl would have easily been the 'Fool' for not killing Marty when she had the chance.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie. It's quite fun, while also scratching that horror itch we all know and love.

Loved:
-The humor. It was self referential, but it did not go down the Scream route of "Oh, we've seen this in a movie, so it has to happen". Really good.
-Then there's the story which was interesting especially the whole "Choose your own death thing". The recalls at the end were good to see (Doll faced people = the dolls in the basement was awesome)
-The whole Chris Hemsworth death was hilarious because the whole time I remembered about the wall, but nobody else seemed to so the audience reaction was hilarious.

Hated:
-Mostly plot holes that annoyed me. (I.E. Howd Chris Hemsworth get away from the zombies if it didn't matter what order they died in after the blonde chick was killed off? Or... How Marty got away without the people seeing it. We already saw they had cameras in the forest...)
-My film class really messed with me and I was thinking about cinematography for half the movie. Really nothing remarkable.

Movie was awesome! Wish I had gone in knowing nothing about it, would have made it better. I convinced my girlfriend to go in blind and she loved it as well.

Mayyhem

One thing I want to know, that hasn't really been discussed to much in this thread (obviously don't know about spoilers cause I'm avoiding them) but is it actually scary? I like horror movies that manage to be genuinely scary, along with entertaining and all of the other great stuff this movie apparently does well.

I don't consider generic "slasher" movies scary though, like random person popping out of nowhere and killing someone. I doubt this movie is like that though.

But anyway, any comments on the actual scariness of the movie would be great. I keep hearing about how amazing it is, but for seemingly other reasons that don't really relate to being very scary.

edit; without spoilers of course.

Tedesco!

One thing I want to know, that hasn't really been discussed to much in this thread (obviously don't know about spoilers cause I'm avoiding them) but is it actually scary? I like horror movies that manage to be genuinely scary, along with entertaining and all of the other great stuff this movie apparently does well.

I don't consider generic "slasher" movies scary though, like random person popping out of nowhere and killing someone. I doubt this movie is like that though.

But anyway, any comments on the actual scariness of the movie would be great. I keep hearing about how amazing it is, but for seemingly other reasons that don't really relate to being very scary.

There are some moments of gore, as well as "cue-musical-sting-gotcha" moments.

Magnus

I managed to curl up in my seat a couple times, but yeah...no. The overwhelming responses to your question will be 'no's.

The 'twist'/premise (in my opinion) precludes true 'horror' or fear from ever setting in, unless you can manage to empathize super-strongly with the characters that don't know what's going on.

Great shock/surprise moments though.

The spoilery answer to your question, without any specifics though:
I let my mind wander and run away with the film in its third act...when I imagined briefly what it would have been like to be at the mercy of what gets unleashed near the end...well, I'd call that horror.

I guess I personally do find it easy to empathize with characters strongly like that, even when there are plenty of layers of humor and unbelievability to really slip into that way of thinking easily.

Magnus

This is the first film EVER for me where I'm actually hoping to see alternate endings on a DVD/Bluray someday. I almost wish other cuts of the film were secretly produced where

other monsters were actually unleashed on the five kids during the second act.

Does anyone have a complete list of the potential monsters that could have been unleashed?

Shit, let's assemble one. I can offer what I remember:

• Massive spiders
• Massive snake
• Hellraiser-type puzzle sphere dude
• Zombies
• Ghosts
• Ballerina with crazy face-eating face
• Porcelain doll fuckers
• My friend swears she saw a fucking Death Eater. Yeah.
• DAT UNICORN

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This is the first film EVER for me where I'm actually hoping to see alternate endings on a DVD/Bluray someday. I almost wish other cuts of the film were secretly produced where

other monsters were actually unleashed on the five kids during the second act.

Shit, let's assemble one. I can offer what I remember:

• Massive spiders
• Massive snake
• Hellraiser-type puzzle sphere dude
• Zombies
• Ghosts
• Ballerina with crazy face-eating face
• Porcelain doll fuckers
• My friend swears she saw a fucking Death Eater. Yeah.
• DAT UNICORN

-werewolf
-killer clowns
-giant vampire bat
-merman
-killer robots

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it was very original. I didn't care much for some of the characters, though. Especially Marty.

I also really appreciated the humor those guys brought. I just came back, so I'm still buzzing and trying to process most of it. But I have a feeling I won't be as positive about it a few days from now as I am right now. It's just one of those movies, you know.

The Lamp

Creative...very creative...but the execution was really poor, the ending was especially poorly handled, and I really didn't know whether it was intentionally trying to be a comedy or not. One character was amazing/hilarious (Marty), the rest of the movie was pretty mediocre movie-wise. The pacing felt sloppy and it all lacked that urgent "oomph" of a horror movie that I can't quite put my finger on.

But yeah, the concept was brilliant.

Magnus

I just remembered probably the funniest bit in the entire film and cracked up again for 2 minutes.

That riff on Japanese child ghost movies...holy shit. The man, NATHANIEL FISHER, telling the TV to fuck off. So great. That scene just escalated in hilarity every 5 seconds, from the schoolroom-esque setting, to the girls chanting, to the transformation into a frog, to them singing and dancing and celebrating, to the dude just swearing at the screen.

We were in tears.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh man, this was fucking great.

Like, seriously, holy shit. Amazingly fun time at the theaters.

The Lamp

I just remembered probably the funniest bit in the entire film and cracked up again for 2 minutes.

That riff on Japanese child ghost movies...holy shit. The man, NATHANIEL FISHER, telling the TV to fuck off. So great. That scene just escalated in hilarity every 5 seconds, from the schoolroom-esque setting, to the girls chanting, to the transformation into a frog, to them singing and dancing and celebrating, to the dude just swearing at the screen.

We were in tears.

Yeah that was quite hilarious.
"What a friend we have in Shinto"
lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
that +
Unicorn
and
Hemsworth jump into wall

amazing
The first two were the highlights for me. There were definitely some legit comedic moments in this, no thanks to the main cast. But that was probably the intention;
half the movie is comprised of derivative horror cast and happenings for the most part, while the other half is where all the originality is contained.

I am shocked everyone doesn't think the scene with the frog and the cussing it causes isn't everyone's favorite scene. Fucking loved that. Awesome movie.

I am shocked everyone doesn't think the scene with the frog and the cussing it causes isn't everyone's favorite scene. Fucking loved that. Awesome movie.

Honestly, didn't find it that funny. It was a good laugh, sure, but not particularly memorable.

big ander

Fantastic film. Just fantastic. Funny, smart, and grim with a perfect ending.
It doesn't just throw random shit in. It's an intelligent pastiche of the horror genre, that doesn't make it "random." Or rather, it could be called "random" but not with negative connotations.

Anyway, that's only the beginning. The film's subtext on horror voyeurism and why we need (or don't need) formula horror is brilliant.

I'd also like to disagree with everyone saying the office workers were the good guys. Nobody was the good guy. The kids were innocent but that doesn't make them good. The office workers were guilty of sacrificing people, but they had a goal that they believed justified it. It was clear to me the point was that the entire system of appeasing the gods was broken. It all ties into the films' anti-humanism and the insistence that maybe we need to really reboot a lot or all of the horror genre.

There's so much more to unpack here, which is why I'm retroactively loving the film with each minute. Its comments on society/movies forcing people into archetypes or on the heartlessness of office culture or on desensitization to violence. It's there. Hell, you could make an argument that the Merman stuff is a commentary on horror fans own calls for more uniqueness, only to have that bite them in the ass when it sometimes sucks.
It's a film that works on so many levels, and I want to watch it over and over (just as I do THE RAID).

The trailers ruin NOTHING. You think you "know the twist". This is not a movie like that. It's so much more.
Saw the ads and read the spoiler ending (whatever)

Sounds fucking stupid
I'm not going to see the movie. What's the twist?
Fucking hate people like you. You don't like movies, stop pretending, please don't watch more.

Speaking of which...
where are my sexy zombies at?
Patience Buckner didn't get you hot? That one arm.

Magnus

Fantastic film. Just fantastic. Funny, smart, and grim with a perfect ending.
It doesn't just throw random shit in. It's an intelligent pastiche of the horror genre, that doesn't make it "random." Or rather, it could be called "random" but not with negative connotations.

Anyway, that's only the beginning. The film's subtext on horror voyeurism and why we need (or don't need) formula horror is brilliant.

I'd also like to disagree with everyone saying the office workers were the good guys. Nobody was the good guy. The kids were innocent but that doesn't make them good. The office workers were guilty of sacrificing people, but they had a goal that they believed justified it. It was clear to me the point was that the entire system of appeasing the gods was broken. It all ties into the films' anti-humanism and the insistence that maybe we need to really reboot a lot or all of the horror genre.

There's so much more to unpack here, which is why I'm retroactively loving the film with each minute. Its comments on society/movies forcing people into archetypes or on the heartlessness of office culture or on desensitization to violence. It's there. Hell, you could make an argument that the Merman stuff is a commentary on horror fans own calls for more uniqueness, only to have that bite them in the ass when it sometimes sucks.
It's a film that works on so many levels, and I want to watch it over and over (just as I do THE RAID).

The trailers ruin NOTHING. You think you "know the twist". This is not a movie like that. It's so much more.

Fucking hate people like you. You don't like movies, stop pretending, please don't watch more.

I'm with you 100% on everything, except the ending. I need some selling on that, and actually want to be sold; I want to love 100% of this film instead of 99%, haha.

Specifically
Straight up end of the world vs one of the humans deciding to appease the gods and kill the others in one fashion or another.

Anyone else confused by this?

If they had to sacrifice a whore, scholar, athlete, fool and virgin, why did the Japanese try to kill all those young school girls?

sharbhund

Does anyone have a complete list of the potential monsters that could have been unleashed?

From IMDB:

Bat Demon - Specifically created demonic creature reference (ex. Graveyard Shift).

Bloody Woman - ??? (missed it possibly Carrie or Bloody Mary).

Clown - Generic reference to killer clowns (ex. It).

Deadites - Specific reference to The Evil Dead franchise.

Demon - Generic demonic reference (ex. Night of the Demons).

Demonic Rape Tree - Specific reference to The Evil Dead (source: Kristen Connolly).

Dismemberment Goblins - ???

Doll Faces - Specific reference to The Strangers.

Evil Child - Seemingly specific reference to The Ring.

Evil Twin Girls - Specific reference to The Shining.

Fat Zombie - Seemingly specific reference to Boomers from Left 4 Dead.

Floating Witch - Generic witch genre reference (ex. Darkness Falls).

Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain (Summoned by Puzzle Orb) - Specific reference to Hellraiser.

Ghost - Generic ghost genre reference (ex. 13 Ghosts).

Giant - Generic fantasy reference (ex. Trolljegeren).

Giant Cobra - Generic reference to Giant Monster/Eco-Terror films (ex. Komodo vs. Cobra).

Giant Spider - Generic reference to Giant Monster/Eco-Terror films (ex. Eight Legged Freaks).

Kiko - Generic reference to Japanese Yurei films (ex. The Grudge).

Killbot - Generic reference to Killer Machine/Robots films (ex. Hardware).

Kraken - Generic fantasy reference (ex. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea).

Merman (Summoned by Conch) - Generic fantasy reference (ex. Creature from the Black Lagoon).

Redneck Zombie Torture Family (Summoned by Diary) - aka the Buckners - Mash-Up of Zombie & Killer Family films.

Scarecrow - Generic reference to Killer Scarecrow subgenre (ex. Dark Night of the Scarecrow).

Sugar Plum Fairy/Ballerina Dentata (Summoned by Music Box) - Unique creation (source: Drew Goddard).

Unicorn - Generic fantasy reference.

Werewolf - Generic werewolf genre reference (ex. The Wolf Man).

Zombies - Generic Zombie genre reference (ex. Night of the Living Dead).

big ander

I'm with you 100% on everything, except the ending. I need some selling on that, and actually want to be sold; I want to love 100% of this film instead of 99%, haha.

Specifically
Straight up end of the world vs one of the humans deciding to appease the gods and kill the others in one fashion or another.
I dunno, I think one of the kids killing the other wouldn't have been as good. The ending as is reinforces what Marty says at the beginning about society needing to crumble. I think that's an extremely effective, if pessimistic, viewpoint. That society or humanity or the horror genre needs to completely self-destruct in order rid itself of backwards and hurtful elements, eventually preserving what made it great. For me, if one of the kids had killed the other, the film's final thrust would have been saying that this system is okay, contradicting a lot of what came before.
Anyone else confused by this?

If they had to sacrifice a whore, scholar, athlete, fool and virgin, why did the Japanese try to kill all those young school girls?
I thought about this and, going by the vastly different situations shown in different cities/countries, assumed that what each group tries to sacrifice is different and influenced by their culture. Or rather, their culture is influenced by what they have to sacrifice, remembering the "nightmares" conversation. So the Japanese try to sacrifice schoolgirls, Americans try to do the classic 3 teen archetypes, etc.

Girl knows how to handle an axe if ya know what I mean... but then it'll get serious and before you know it, I'll be having that awkward meet the parent dinner and I'm not about to start eating people.

Is this one of those movies that's overhyped to high heavens and then a month later everyone will hate it? Cloverfield, Super 8, Paranormal Activity, MI: Ghost Protocol?

Since this movie doesn't seem to be coming out here (Czech Republic), all I can do is wait for the DVD or rent it. Oh well.

Xenon

It was a very entertaining movie, but it doesn't do much more than one would expect from an R rated Joss Whedon script. It also falls into one of the biggest pitfalls of the Horror genre. It showed too much.

It was still a great flick, just not a great horror film. But if your a fan of Remi style camp, this is a must see.

Thread needs the Mondo poster here:

cabinarchive_thumb.JPG

Jakabok

What I don't get is
why the god woke up if the sacrifice failed? If every other attempt had failed so far why didn't the apocalypse happen before? Also because there must be loads of survivors from previous rituals does that mean that in this world everyone knows that monsters are real? If the latter is true then the American kids showed a bit too much surprise at the unfolding events.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fantastic film, enjoyable from the off and never a dull moment. Lots of highlights already posted, but one little one early on that I enjoyed

when they first get to the cabin, shaggy goes in to have a look around. Close up profile on him, music goes away - silence. Then he backs up and turns - the classic jumo moment 'hes going to come face to face with someone/something' but there is nothing there. Then a beat, and you're relaxing, then someone comes round the corner and makes you jump. Beautifully timied, like the bus splat in Final Destination

MMaRsu

Banned
Is this one of those movies that's overhyped to high heavens and then a month later everyone will hate it? Cloverfield, Super 8, Paranormal Activity, MI: Ghost Protocol?

Since this movie doesn't seem to be coming out here (Czech Republic), all I can do is wait for the DVD or rent it. Oh well.

Wtf, people hate Cloverfield? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom