• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakabok

Was the blood being drained into the chamber below the actual blood of the victims or more of a symbolic thing? I'm thinking the latter because of the survival of Shaggy. But then that doesn't really make sense 'cause the ancients wanted the victims to suffer and die in a particular order by personality type?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love how much they foreshadow
marty's role in upending the whole system. from the very beginning he presents himself as being able to slip under the system's radar ("cops don't pull over a man smoking a giant bong. they fear this man") and cause massive change. he's constantly aware of "the man" and "the system" and being manipulated. and in the end, like the prospective audience for the new "film" being created via the release of the old gods, he reacts with enthusiasm--like we might--at the idea of something so different and world-ending. like, yes, finally something new and awesome, that would be something to see.

Mondriaan

I thought the movie's subtext was
that if the world has to sacrifice its young in order to survive, maybe that is a world not worth saving. This is a world that has to manipulate their sacrifices with chemicals and subliminal messages because the illusion of choice and free will is important.

This complex system is protecting the status quo and, of course, starts to completely break down when a determined, counter-culture pot smoker gets into the wiring.

Maybe the movie was only supposed to be a statement about the horror genre in general, though.

Ugh, post above mine wasn't there when I started writing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there's a lot in your post that isn't in mine, mondriaan. still very good work.

in particular, i'm fascinated by the idea that the means by which we must perform the ritual--sacrifice young people--is just accepted as a necessity, when, as you say, that is actually a wholly unacceptable compromise. the movie backs up that there's something very screwy about it through the ending, and also through the hypercasual way the execs treat the deaths of the teens.

Was the blood being drained into the chamber below the actual blood of the victims or more of a symbolic thing? I'm thinking the latter because of the survival of Shaggy. But then that doesn't really make sense 'cause the ancients wanted the victims to suffer and die in a particular order by personality type?
Symbolic, but they are aware of everything going on as well I believe.

Went today and loved it, wanted to go in knowing nothing and just loved the ride.

about halfway through after seeing the whiteboard full of monsters I was thinking 'god I hope they all die so we can get sequels with different scenarios' I had no idea we'd see them all.

I was hoping for the merman so marked out when he finally flopped into the scene

Even at the end I was hoping somehow they were killed somehow before the God is released so a sequel is possible.

I know it's a horrible curse that we get sequels of everything but I want more of it, hell release prequels of former rituals and I'll watch dammit

Went today and loved it, wanted to go in knowing nothing and just loved the ride.

about halfway through after seeing the whiteboard full of monsters I was thinking 'god I hope they all die so we can get sequels with different scenarios' I had no idea we'd see them all.

I was hoping for the merman so marked out when he finally flopped into the scene

Even at the end I was hoping somehow they were killed somehow before the God is released so a sequel is possible.

I know it's a horrible curse that we get sequels of everything but I want more of it, hell release prequels of former rituals and I'll watch dammit

That's what prequels are for :p

Considering the twist (yeah I don't care about spoilers since I won't get to see it for a while), is the end thing as cool looking as this (watch to the end - NSFW) or this?

And I now have a crush on Kristen Connolly.

You aren't the only one. I really hope she gets more work, she's talented and cute. Can't wait to see her in more stuff.

Saw it and loved it-pretty much a perfect movie in my opinion. We are very fortunate that a movie like this was made.

One minor nitpick:
They shouldn't have shown the bird hitting the wall. It would have made the scene of Hemsworth's death more...ahem...impactful

I think they showed it early enough that it was tension building for the people that remembered, but also enough people would be engrossed by the movie that they'd forget and be surprised. On the other hand, a non-visual cue might have worked better for the surprise factor, like as they were going through the tunnel, have one of the engineer guys say "Alright, they're in. Put the force field up."

To bad this film is not going up on cinemas here in sweden..

Seems that the filmstudio pulled it from cinemas due to bad numbers in US...

big ander

Fantastic movie.

Loved every minute of it. One thing I didn't get was,
the old dude @ the gas station referred to "the war" and him being there since the beginning of "the war". When quizzed about it, he retorted, "You know exactly what fucking war." What gives? Was he supposed to be a hic referring to the Civil War or was he talking about a war from the past?
He was an actor playing a party creepily and ambiguously on purpose.
In my theater there were these two wholesome looking parents bringing their two pre teen kids to see the movie.

O_O
In mine a parent had her two kids who looked about 5 and 7.
everybody keeps forgetting that
the virgin fucked her professor.
lol
I believe one of the workers even says, "We work with what we've got." Heh.
RLM - Half in the Bag: Cabin in the Woods

Looks like Whedon didn't put much thought into the clever ideas behind Cabin in the Woods? If so, why are people praising the movie so much, is it because of the novelty being a pleasant surprise? Early reactions? Or these dudes are completely off on analysing the ideas?
This is thirty minutes long; mind posting what in it exactly proves that there's nothing clever in the film?

My first time entering this thread and holy SHIT @ the nitpicking. This movie was amazing to me and to my friends who saw it with me. Well worth going out to see it.

everybody keeps forgetting that
the virgin fucked her professor.
lol
And apparently YOU forget that
shes all like WTF when they refer to her as a virgin and they say "we work with what we got". It's people like you that bug the shit out of me when it comes to movies because you're manufacturing plot holes that don't exist just to look smart.

Looks like Whedon didn't put much thought into the clever ideas behind Cabin in the Woods? If so, why are people praising the movie so much, is it because of the novelty being a pleasant surprise? Early reactions? Or these dudes are completely off on analysing the ideas?

it's really enjoyable, that is why people are praising the movie. it's the highest compliment i can give a movie or any form of media

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Think some dick spoiled this for me, is the twist
that horror movies are real and they put people in those situations to make them?

Just a yes or no, please.

If she isn't a virgin then she's not the virgin that can satisfy the ritual, so it doesn't make much sense.

Think some dick spoiled this for me, is the twist
that horror movies are real and they put people in those situations to make them?

Just a yes or no, please.
To make horror movies? No.

Had anyone figured out what the necklace unlocked? The conch was mermen and the ball was the Hellraiser dude and the music box was the ballerina... but the necklace I hadn't figured out...

adg1034

Had anyone figured out what the necklace unlocked? The conch was mermen and the ball was the Hellraiser dude and the music box was the ballerina... but the necklace I hadn't figured out...

Well, considering it was within a
wedding dress
, I'd say that correlates with
The Bride, off the betting whiteboard

Platy

About the ending (do we still need spoiler tags since the movie is out?)

It is not polite to spoil a 5 year old movie ... let alone a movie so new and with so many twists like this !
It only starts in theaters in my country in AUGUST !
Let alone people who don't see the movie in the first week =P

Cartman86

Banned

I couldn't tell because they were speaking around it, but I think they thought there were maybe plot holes or concepts in the mythology that didn't make sense. My friend who went with me said the same thing. Shit like why don't
they just kill the kids instead of putting them through this
(they pretty much answer that in the movie).
These arbitrary rules to me were never supposed to be rational. We're talking about magic rituals to keep god's happy...
Yeah it doesn't quite make sense outside the movie, but considering what the film is about it's not going to. Almost every movie in existence doesn't really make sense. They have their own rules that you have to accept as your watching. For me Cabin established them well enough.

AMUSIX

Feel like the HitB guys didn't 'get' the movie. Their criticism during the spoilers section just screams that they didn't understand that
the gods were the entertainment-seeking public, and that the public was no longer ok with just a killing, as they may have been in ancient cultures. Now, we must have the characters suffer before they die, otherwise we aren't entertained. This is also why Japan's approach (Ju-On) or the Nordic approach (Let the Right One In) could appease the same god. This was hammered home during the sex scene...when the tits HAD to be shown, because the techs "weren't the only ones watching."

This is also why it would have been OK for the Fool to be killed by anyone at the end, since he's already suffered, we've already been entertained, and his death would be 'satisfying'.

Scarecrow

I hope on the extras section of the Blue Ray they have
all the shots of the monitors when the monsters are rampaging, perhaps a mini movie for each one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom