• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

HelloMeow

I've read this twice, and I honestly still don't know which game you're referring to. Those words could just as easily apply to either of them.

It's easy. MW2 on a p2p connection with 200 ping is about the same as AW on a dedicated server with 20 ping. It's both equally crappy. However, MW2 on a decent connection is much better than AW.

MW2 isn't even great in that regard. AW is just that much worse.

Gragen

It's easy. MW2 on a p2p connection with 200 ping is about the same as AW on a dedicated server with 20 ping. It's both equally crappy. However, MW2 on a decent connection is much better than AW.

Are you serious? I'm really starting to think nostalgia is a disease.

Actually I should clarify, in MW2 everyone had crap connection. It simply isn't the case for AW.

Gragen

Maybe your experience with MW2 was different, but I concur with HelloMeow. Also, it's not nostalgia, I can go pop in MW2 right now and pretty much compare the two (and I have) and tell you the same.

Everyone can go pop in MW2 and have the same experience. Not in AW though. I can't claim to no why, but the bad net code isn't exclusive to everyone.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The guns sounds significantly better, approaching battlefield standards. It reminds me lot of MOHAA 2010. There must be something wrong with your set up or by your standards 90% of shooters have shitty sounding guns.

Battlefield BC2, BF3 BF4 and the previous MOH remake, not the shitty 2nd one where Greg Goodrich got taken off the project midway all of those titles blow the shit out of the water with their sound work compared to CODs. Sure it may be a bit "Hollywood" but still better than the garbage that the COD series has put out sound wise with their firearms.

Its the same shit with COD every single time.

E92 M3

I traded it in today for 44 at Best Buy; bought it for 30. Played campaign and MP, but the lack of bumper jump kinda killed it for me. Also, there are other games consuming time.

Played a couple of games of classic mode and I honestly think I might prefer it this way, with no EXO powers. Map design is obviously an issue but I hope these playlists stay fairly active.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm kinda bummed it feels like every gun besides some of the assault rifles feel worthless. I like the variety of playing different classes but don't want to feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage.
The KF5 is pretty evil with rapid fire, possibly due to a bug, and the large magazine is nice.

SMZC

Oh, right. I agree completely. I thought maybe you were referencing how random the matches in MW2 can get.

I know people are bitching about this game but I am having a out of fun with hardpoint

I think you get shot in the back a lot less in that mode because people are always focused on one direction.

BiIk4Rn.jpg

Normal sentinel recon helmet, exo, top, loadout, and pants. But KVA boots, shin guards, and sentinel operator gloves. I like the yellow contrasted with the black.

Montresor

I got this game on XB1 and I am really, really impressed with the campaign. I will not touch multiplayer (I usually hate COD multiplayer).

The visuals are fantastic. And the story and cinematic sequences have been great so far. When the main character had his
prosthetic arm plugged into a computer and a scientist was telling me to move his fingers, I couldn't help but smile. That was DAMN cool
. The game play is the usual COD stuff - not great, but good and gets the job done.

Also, surprise, surprise, the Press F To Pay Respects sequence was the complete opposite of laughable. Funny what context can do, huh?

Out of curiosity does anyone on here use a pro-style controller. (MLG approved) A Scuf or Cinch...or something of that nature, it seems like it would be a major advantage with the exo movements. I believe I've encountered people using them based on how they move. (I don't mean lag)

Anyway, any first hand reports? Would you get one? Are they worth the $?

Jblanks

They need to buff everything except the Assault rifles and make score streaks at least 30% easier to get by lowering the totals required.

And add more weapons. 3 fully auto ARs .. really? Only 1 semi-auto ? Only one bolt action sniper? There were 7 fully auto ARs in Ghosts..

Hip Hop

And add more weapons. 3 fully auto ARs .. really? Only 1 semi-auto ? Only one bolt action sniper? There were 7 fully auto ARs in Ghosts..

I think they are adding more weapons to the game. they might even be free of charge.

The Season Pass states "Early access to bonus DLC weapons".

Jblanks

I think they are adding more weapons to the game. they might even be free of charge.

The Season Pass states "Early access to bonus DLC weapons".
That would be nice. But kind of bs how they leave out content like even weapons to put as DLC..
But each weapon already has at least 10 variants, right?

Yes, but variants aren't different guns they're basically the same as the stock weapon, with a slight change to a stat or two and 90% of the time its unnoticeable. Also its complete luck what and when you get them..

Played a couple of games of classic mode and I honestly think I might prefer it this way, with no EXO powers. Map design is obviously an issue but I hope these playlists stay fairly active.

Yea, same. Domination is so much more doable for me since you aren't circle scanning for anyone to fly around to strafe kill you.

That would be nice. But kind of bs how they leave out content like even weapons to put as DLC..

Yes, but variants aren't different guns they're basically the same as the stock weapon, with a slight change to a stat or two and 90% of the time its unnoticeable. Also its complete luck what and when you get them..

You probably haven't been lucky enough to get the better variants but that's completely false. I have atleast 5 variants that are significantly different. Especially the ARX-160 Hole Puncher which makes the gun kill in one burst when it normally doesn't.

Splinter

Have a quick question about purchasing this game and/or a ps4 or Xbox one.

I haven't bought a next gen console yet, I'm coming from a 360. I'm leaning toward the ps4 but last night I played destiny on the ps4 for the first time, and I'm not sure if I was sitting to close to the TV or he had his controller settings set up poorly, but playing the fps with the ps4 controllers joysticks felt way off and awkward. The sensitivity and accuracy was way below what I'm used to with the 360(and I'm assuming would be similar on the one).

Anyone with both consoles care to comment and compare the joysticks on the controllers for fps games?

I haven't bought a next gen console yet, I'm coming from a 360. I'm leaning toward the ps4 but last night I played destiny on the ps4 for the first time, and I'm not sure if I was sitting to close to the TV or he had his controller settings set up poorly, but playing the fps with the ps4 controllers joysticks felt way off and awkward. The sensitivity and accuracy was way below what I'm used to with the 360(and I'm assuming would be similar on the one).

Anyone with both consoles care to comment and compare the joysticks on the controllers for fps games?

why didn't you just adjust the controls lol. the ps4 controller isn't inherently insensitive or inaccurate, if that's what you mean.

I came from being mainly a 360 user and now i have both the One and Ps4. Xbox One controller isn't as good as the 360 imo but still very good. The dualshock 4 has grew on me and is now my favorite controller. The problem you were having with Destiny was probably how low the sensitivity in that game is naturally. I had to turn mines all the way up to play effectively in pvp. I find the ps4 controller to be more accurate and easier to use for fps because of the bumpers.

d9b

Banned
Textures are slow to load sometimes (all blurry) at MP menu (intermission) since the last patch.
Hope they address this, not game breaking but annoying, especially since it was working no probs before the patch.

keezy

I caved and bought this game this weekend. I didn't have any issues with matching in MCC so I've been playing that and I have to say I am already tired of Halo. The new CoD is actually very fun. Reminds me of BLOPS quite a bit. Still getting used to the movement.

IISANDERII

Putting this up for sale tomorrow. I tried the update, I can at least reload properly now instead of wasting two thirds of my magazine's ammo, but the game is just boring and plain stupid.

Also, the more I play, the more I dislike the exo-movement mechanics. I was really looking forward to seeing a game changer in the series, so when this was first talked about I was very open about the idea. I wanted it to be good and to effectively change how COD is played. This so-called "innovation", though, is definitely for the worse. In my opinion, it doesn't work as it should. It's not properly integrated and balanced. I complained in a previous post of mine about how short-sighted it was to limit this supposed core game mechanic by making every exo movement appear on the radar; I also complained about how the series' extremely low time to kill hindered the capabilities of exo movement. But those are not even the main problems.

The problem is how stupid and awkward these new movements make confrontations now. Chances are, if you stumble upon an enemy from the front, he will jump. The end result is a moment of awkward confusion where your target suddenly leaves your sights and is way up in the air, and you can never quite tell where exactly. It's not like things are any different for your opponent either. Even though he decided to make the move, you also left his line of sight, and though he will try to reacquire you as a target, he will have just as difficult a time doing so. This is only aggravated by several other factors. First, this is a series that is mostly played on consoles. Console FPSs are just not as good at precise and fast aiming, that's a fact of life. Secondly, the control scheme is garbage. This is a game where a lot of the time you are supposed to be jumping, aiming and shooting at the same time, yet the only available control schemes force you to take the finger off the aiming stick each and every time that you want to make a jump. For a game that makes of jumping such a core game mechanic, this is downright idiotic.

I know this comparison has been made a million times before, but Titanfall really is the perfect example of how COD with more freedom of movement should be. Jumping is more fluid, controllable and offers more possibilities, gameplay-wise. The maps in Titanfall are quite big, as opposed to AW's tiny, close quarters-focused maps, confrontations tend to happen from further away, and the jumping mechanics are not so sudden, or so quick; this all contributes to creating less situations of the annoying kind I described above in AW. All in all, Titanfall is an FPS whose core gameplay was made with complete awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of what it means to be a console FPS, just as Goldeneye, Halo and COD4 before. Ironically, even though AW comes from a series that has, for a long time, made of consoles its main staying place, as a console shooter it really just doesn't work as well.
QFT. Add to that the sound design is poor so an enemy will be hopping, boosting, going crazy all around you and you'd have no idea until he begins shooting you.

Skele7on

Banned
I just can't handle lag anymore guys. Every damn game at the moment is a nightmare online.

How comes Destiny doesn't have this amount of connection fuckery?

NHale

While waiting for the multiplayer to be fixed by SH, I've finished the campaign and played a lot of Exo Survival.

I found the campaign to be pretty average and designed like a normal COD campaign despite having new tools at your disposal like the exo suit to play with but they never give you a big playground to play with it. I can understand they have to follow the blueprint (sniper level, stealth level, tank level, jetplane level, boat level, etc) and some of their choices for those requirements were quite good but I reached the end and I'm left with Kevin Spacey wasted talents, very predictable story, average setpieces and an unused exo suit.

Exo Survival is a nice experience until you realize that Sledgehammer made a baffling balancing decision. Unlike other games that counteract the increase in human users on horde mode with an increase of the number of enemies per wave or increased enemy health, Sledgehammer decided to decrease the players health if you play with more co-op buddies. This ends up in a situation that 4-player is almost a suicide mission after round 10. 2 bullets and you are down. Play it alone and you can easily reach round 17. No fun playing alone because it's boring... no fun playing it with a full lobby because you die very quickly...

RS4-

Exo Survival is a nice experience until you realize that Sledgehammer made a baffling balancing decision. Unlike other games that counteract the increase in human users on horde mode with an increase of the number of enemies per wave or increased enemy health, Sledgehammer decided to decrease the players health if you play with more co-op buddies. This ends up in a situation that 4-player is almost a suicide mission after round 10. 2 bullets and you are down. Play it alone and you can easily reach round 17. No fun playing alone because it's boring... no fun playing it with a full lobby because you die very quickly...

Exo mode is just pure garbage. Anyway, when doing online, the difficulity is set to Veteran, that's why you're dying quickly at x wave. While solo/private match, the default difficulty is uhh, normal or whatever.

You probably haven't been lucky enough to get the better variants but that's completely false. I have atleast 5 variants that are significantly different. Especially the ARX-160 Hole Puncher which makes the gun kill in one burst when it normally doesn't.
This whole variant system is completely unfair and not in the spirit of the series. It makes it completely random what you'll get and you could go through 15 prestiges and never get an Elite variant or something like the Hole Puncher. I really hate the variant system and I feel cheated out of there being more weapons in the game.

The DS4 sticks have much more resistance and a much smaller deadzone than the 360 sticks. If anything the 360 sticks should feel loose and imprecise.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
So I thought I was really going to love this game, but all the bunny hopping and leaping around and what not, just has me kinda going meh. I have CoD Ghosts, which I have yet to touch, thinking I might like that better. Dunno. I haven't played a CoD game since Modern Warfare 2, which I absolutely loved. I'm looking for that level of fun and just not getting it.

greenfish

Banned
The only weapons you need:

Bal27 or KF5

Not touching this game until they've nerfed above or made every other weapon useful.

Also dedicated servers added to PC, can't stand the p2p

Top Bottom