• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare |OT| Space Ghosts

j-wood

What's the best SMG? I'm currently using the first one (ERUBAR or something like that), but I just unlocked a new one, wondering if I should switch (the RPR evo i think?)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What's the best SMG? I'm currently using the first one (ERUBAR or something like that), but I just unlocked a new one, wondering if I should switch (the RPR evo i think?)

The RPR is a really good weapon. As an SMG it's got a nice fast rate of fire, but it's specialness comes from being able to switch into an assault rifle with a really consistent 3hk range.

The weapon you're using now, the ERAD, is good for balanced damage, fire-rate, and real solid accuracy. The RPR will outmatch it at long range in AR mode, but you have to be smart about switching, 'cause it does take time.

My personal favorite is the Karma. I like that biggie ammo capacity and solid hipfire capability. Recoil can be a bit weird though.

Are you playing with headphones? I can prefire anyone coming around a corner not using dead silence.

Yes, always. What modes do you play?

Javes

Mostly domination, but I play a fair amount of TDM, KC, and defender. I use a mixamp with settings tuned for the game a nice pair of headphones so that may be the deciding factor in my soundwhoring.

Kalentan

Got the Reaver Epic in the Rare Supply Drop from the Keys today.

Gotten pretty lucky these past 2 days. Got the Type-2 -Enforcer Legendary yesterday.

Chris R

I'm really glad I played this game (SP)

The E3 video had me interested so when someone bought the PS4 version for MWR mostly I snagged the disc from them to play the campaign over the long weekend.

The ground missions were the things I don't like from modern COD games, but thankfully there weren't many of them. The dogfight missions were a ton of fun and scratched an itch I had for a new Rogue Squadron game after seeing Rogue One. Some of the other side missions were fun too, but I think they only worked because of how short they were.

The story was decent too, even if the baddies motivation wasn't flushed out as well as it should have been. Jon Snow was wasted too.

All in all, give me a single player only dogfight stand alone game next year or the year after with 3x the content from the side missions of this game for $20 and I'm there. Otherwise it's probably another 8 years until I play another COD.

Just beat the campaign in the wee hours of the morning and it was quite a ride. A Call of Duty game through and through and Salter and Reyes were good characters to drive the narrative forward. After seeing Rogue One and KS20, Ethan was also a welcome addition and I actually liked him better than I did BT in Titanfall 2.

The set pieces, the constant change of scenery, the light and dark gameplay mechanic -although very brief- on the asteroid near the Sun, the weapons, etc. It all just gelled in a manner that I'd say that for me this is easily the best CoD campaign on this current gen of consoles. Harrington as Kotch was clearly a weak point and his
demise
was weak as shit.

Loved that Infinity Ward mixed it up with the side missions. With MP and Zombies, Activision and IW deliver a solid package.

kuYuri

Apparently some new variants went up in Quartermaster. Some of these include some of the datamined ones from awhile back.

Sound awareness seems abysmal overall this year. So many games with muted weapons and even more muted footsteps. As much as I'd like to see Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, I'm worried Raven might screw up the sound awareness again. I hate how it's been demonized as "sound whoring". There are many methods to quiet or even silence your footsteps. They often have to do with either slowing down a bit (which is very important to setting the pace of a game) or sacrificing something to equip a stealth perk of some sort.

Screw the haters. You're punishing other players for playing recklessly and running around like a decapitated chicken.

Apparently some new variants went up in Quartermaster. Some of these include some of the datamined ones from awhile back.

Including an NV4 designed for close-quarters and long-range combat. Because it wasn't overused enough.

Hum... this is ridiculous but here I go (campaign):

I can't pass the very first mission, I reach what I think is the final area with the cannon and the robots shooting missiles. I died like 30 times because I didn't know where to go, I looked it up on YouTube and I've found that I have to activate the cannon, that's all I saw. The thing is, the person on the video waited until the cannon positioned itself at the doorway and then he activated it. Well, the thing is, he had like 40 seconds to do that.

In my game I have 15 seconds every time I respawn and the cannon arrives at the door at 0 seconds making it impossible to activate it for me.

Do I have to restart the whole mission?

Edit: Yeah, pretty sure I have to restart the mission since the trigger doesn' show.

I'm loving this game with Team Tactical, this is exactly what everyone one wanted...boots on the ground.

Sledgehammer really fucked up CoD games when they started this flying space soldiers idea.

Creaking

I'm loving this game with Team Tactical, this is exactly what everyone one wanted...boots on the ground.

Well, I wouldn't say exactly. It's nice if you like assault rifles, but the damage changes leave short range weapons even more in the dust than they were before.

Javes

Sledgehammer really fucked up CoD games when they started this flying space soldiers idea.

Nope. Jetpacking CoD is so much more fun than BOTG CoD. Blops 3 was the most successful CoD ever in terms of revenue (supply drops certainly aided in this) if I'm not mistaken so most of the fanbase is not clamoring for BOTG. Gives the devs a lot more creative freedom too with the future setting. I really hope SHG is making AW2.

gdt

Goddamn that ending and epilogue. The plot doesn't make sense, but damn if this game doesn't connect you intimately with the characters.

And every level has some gameplay mechanics that make them unique. This was a great SP campaign. Probably the best COD campaign period.

Well, I wouldn't say exactly. It's nice if you like assault rifles, but the damage changes leave short range weapons even more in the dust than they were before.

I don't see why they had to change health values and gun damage profiles. If anything, a health increase to make the NV4 a 5-shot kill would've probably helped make SMGs a lot more relevant in that mode.

I'm just waiting until the NV4 is nerfed at this point. I'm super tired of NV4finite Warfare. I went back to Black Ops 3, where there's lots of variety in every match instead of yet another Merc with yet another suppressed NV4. Had fun with my M1 Garand I got from prestiging, though. Since it's classified as a sniper, it's helping a lot for some of the tougher challenges (like getting longshots and point blanks in the same life). It also benefits fully from marksman, making it a friggin' laserbeam.

Playing the campaign and this is fantastic, the missions are varied and awe inspiring for the sight, and characters are really great, surprised that there's such a big script on this one.

I'm sure I prefer it over Titanfall 2 so far, it might not have the same originality in its design but combat is much more engaging, it looks phenomenal, more bombastic, and I care about the characters. Story is obviously lame but the dialogues are quite good.

Will see how things unfolds later on.

(can't believe that a Call of Duty game has waaay better sidequests than Final Fantasy XV -_-)

Gothos

Game is 11 Euro on cdkeys.com so I finally bought it :) Hopefuly the campaign delivers! Shame that this year zombie mode is some silly disco style :< Last year noir was so much better, ehh...

Kalentan

Game is 11 Euro on cdkeys.com so I finally bought it :) Hopefuly the campaign delivers! Shame that this year zombie mode is some silly disco style :< Last year noir was so much better, ehh...

I mean... Zombies is always different depending on the map. Only the first BO3 map was Noir.

The Noir theme was for one map. Map 2 was a German castle, map 3 was a Japanese bunker on an abandoned, overgrown pacific island. Map 4 was in Stalingrad (with a dragon for some reason). Map 5 was everywhere.

This year, it's the same deal: map 1 is an 80's pop-rock theme park, but each following map is going to be influenced by different genres of horror. Map 2 is inspired by 90's slasher flicks in the middle of the woods (like Friday the 13th).

Gothos

Oh, okay :)

Anyway, campaign is really nice so far but I got weird, massive fps drops for 4-5 seconds. Like the game is 95% time 60fps solid and sometimes the game goes into slow down mode. FPS drops to 20-30 and everything just goes into slow mode. It happens in random moments, sometimes I just open the door, encounter the enemy and there it goes. Really, really weird.

Herbshire

Just finished the campaign and I really enjoyed it. Mixing it between ground combat and space flight really kept it fresh for me.

Played 1 game of MP and got absolutely smashed &#128515;

Hoodbury

Hot damn, ended someone's 56 game win streak last night. Was one of the most tense matches I've had. It was a Dom game and we won 200 to 196 (I've had closer games than that before but this one was just tense the whole time knowing the guy obviously finds ways to win games).

We had a close lead most of the match then it was around 192 to 186 and they triple capped. Then we capped 1 again pretty quickly then they capped it back, then we capped 1 again and then I capped another one right at the end to guarantee the victory.

The kicker is we were also down a person and beat him 5 on 6. I was so intense and at the edge of my seat the whole game I'm kinda glad the whole lobby almost vacated afterwards so I could regain my composure, heh.

Feel bad for the guy, as that was quite the win streak. His win/loss ratio was 14.0 and I'm pretty sure he was in the lobby solo. I've had streaks like that in past CoDs but only when I'm partied up with 4 or 5 friends that also specialize in playing Dom. I haven't seen anyone else in this game with that kind of win ratio or win streak.

MrBlonde

RPR is probably my new favorite gun, it melts up close and not to bad at mid range with grip either. I suck at this game but did really well last night with this gun.... I just unlocked all the variants other then the ripper which will take me forever to get 4000 salvage especially since I don't play every day and when I do it's for an hour or two tops! Salvage is to hard to get unless u spend money which sucks. Any of u that have the ripper varient is it worth saving for?

Vindicator

Being a passionate CoD hater i muss admit the game is really good, had fun with the campaign.
Might be due to no fatigue, first entry i played seriously without rushing to the next checkpoint like in BO2 (only other CoD ever played).

Creaking

RPR is probably my new favorite gun, it melts up close and not to bad at mid range with grip either. I suck at this game but did really well last night with this gun.... I just unlocked all the variants other then the ripper which will take me forever to get 4000 salvage especially since I don't play every day and when I do it's for an hour or two tops! Salvage is to hard to get unless u spend money which sucks. Any of u that have the ripper varient is it worth saving for?

The Ripper variant isn't that interesting aside from the model change. It shoots a little faster (like just a bit more than BO3 rapid fire) and has a little more recoil. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice.

j-wood

I keep seeing perk rewards for the side missions in single player, but I don't see anything about perks when I go to select a load out. Are these just equipped automatically when I beat those side missions or am I missing something?

hawk2025

I'm finding that none of the Epic weapons are actually worth crafting. You are much better off buying literally 10 to 15 Common/Rare/maybe a couple of legendaries and getting more gameplay variety that way.

I'm finding that none of the Epic weapons are actually worth crafting. You are much better off buying literally 10 to 15 Common/Rare/maybe a couple of legendaries and getting more gameplay variety that way.

Actually, a lot of Epics are excellent weapons.

• Invective has an inbuilt 1.3x headshot multiplier, giving it 1 less shot to kill at any range with a headshot. It's one of the best assault rifles in the game, and one of the few Epics in the game that is a straight upgrade from its base variant (if you don't hit the legs).
  • Flatline's infinite damage range makes it a great weapon for destroying literally any scorestreak in the game. If you thought your high-tier streak you worked your ass off to earn was going to last, it won't if the enemy has some jackass with a Flatline! (Hooraaay...)
  • Cerberus has less viewkick and a good spray-and-pray shotgun mode.
  • Bosozuko's nut shots and reduced viewkick are both extremely useful perks.
  • Bomber is a top-tier gun in its own right, and it's still got the alternate assault rifle mode.
  • EMC Avalanche, Oni Kaiken, and Hailstorm Thunder are all great sidearms, especially when run with weapon classes that complement their sidearm utilities.

Creaking

Hey guys, if you missed any of the 12 days of Christmas bonuses, you can (on PS4 at least) manually change your system's date to access the bonuses of previous days. It will occasionally disconnect you from the CoD servers though.

kuYuri

Actually, a lot of Epics are excellent weapons.

• Invective has an inbuilt 1.3x headshot multiplier, giving it 1 less shot to kill at any range with a headshot. It's one of the best assault rifles in the game, and one of the few Epics in the game that is a straight upgrade from its base variant (if you don't hit the legs).
  • Flatline's infinite damage range makes it a great weapon for destroying literally any scorestreak in the game. If you thought your high-tier streak you worked your ass off to earn was going to last, it won't if the enemy has some jackass with a Flatline! (Hooraaay...)
  • Cerberus has less viewkick and a good spray-and-pray shotgun mode.
  • Bosozuko's nut shots and reduced viewkick are both extremely useful perks.
  • Bomber is a top-tier gun in its own right, and it's still got the alternate assault rifle mode.
  • EMC Avalanche, Oni Kaiken, and Hailstorm Thunder are all great sidearms, especially when run with weapon classes that complement their sidearm utilities.

Or just take one of the rare versions like String Theory that comes with pure bonuses, slap the Hollow Point attachment on it, and have the same thing as the Invective without any of the weaknesses and without spending 4000+ salvage on it.

Kalentan

Shotguns need a buff. Holy shit. When the fucking ERAD can beat shotguns at point blank range. EVEN IN TEAM TACTICAL (where health is reduced), that is stupid!

Jaeger

Shotguns need a buff. Holy shit. When the fucking ERAD can beat shotguns at point blank range. EVEN IN TEAM TACTICAL (where health is reduced), that is stupid!

Agreed. And I love the shotguns. But they are barely viable. I have to craft my entire setup around using one. Stealth, plus speed plus always staying in blind spots out in cover. And even then i get beat out by most weapons, even when close.

kuYuri

I do fairly well with shotguns, but I also only use them on certain maps and I have a primary assault rifle as a secondary in situations where shotty may not be best.

Or just take one of the rare versions like String Theory that comes with pure bonuses, slap the Hollow Point attachment on it, and have the same thing as the Invective without any of the weaknesses and without spending 4000+ salvage on it.

At least you can craft the Invective, you just have to be lucky and get the String Theory from a supply drop.

The Invective also has an integrated ELO sight and grip so you can spend your points on other stuff in the loadout instead.

Creaking

how does the Type 2 akimbo shotgun variant do in the game?

Not great. You can kill with it, but it takes a lot of shots, eats a lot of ammo, and generally doesn't do the job any better than the Reaver or even ERAD Cerberus shotgun.

The Invective also has an integrated ELO sight and grip so you can spend your points on other stuff in the loadout instead.

The KBAR-32 itself has an ELO-style "iron sight", and I prefer the base version's dot reticle to the invective's chevron reticle. And stability is not the same as grip. It's considerably less powerful, as with all common weapon perks that are analogous with attachment bonuses.

Tactical TDM (if that's what you mean by Team Tactical) doesn't have reduced health, just buffs to certain weapons and much stronger head shots. For some numbskull reason, assault rifles (easily the best class in the base game) were buffed the most. Shotguns got pretty much nothing.

kuYuri

At least you can craft the Invective, you just have to be lucky and get the String Theory from a supply drop.

There was the other rare, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's only 500 salvage.

The KBAR by default has integrated "ELO" sights rather than true iron sights, so you'll get that regardless. Stability perk is also a weaker version of the Grip, you'd have to combine them both to get the real benefits.

We may be getting a new Mission Team down the line called Blood Anvil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Infinitewarfare/comments/5ldwt3/mission_team_bloodanvil/

When you see the map there are a TON of extra dots on the map along with the default 4 factions. Not surprised we're getting more. Hope they have their own intro cutscene.

Edit: Oh, it's literally a link to their intro cutscene, awesome! Also, I wonder if the ramp is going to keep building for the teams, Wraith needs so much experience lol

Kalentan

When you see the map there are a TON of extra dots on the map along with the default 4 factions. Not surprised we're getting more. Hope they have their own intro cutscene.

Edit: Oh, it's literally a link to their intro cutscene, awesome! Also, I wonder if the ramp is going to keep building for the teams, Wraith needs so much experience lol

I'm half way to Perstiege 2 and I'm just getting Sabre to 30. Don't even have the others at 20..

Invective also has the stability perk and doesn't take up a valuable Pick-10 point. Infinite Warfare is a lot less generous with those than Black Ops 3's were, seeing as a second tactical now costs two points instead of 1, and Ghost is absolutely mandatory.

Besides, it's not like aiming for the upper torso is difficult. The stability perk isn't anything special, but it does help. Pairing it with Grip results in a 10% reduction in viewkick in all directions, which you may not notice, but you will feel.

how does the Type 2 akimbo shotgun variant do in the game?

You could say that variant butchers the entire reason to use the Type 2s.

Tactical TDM (if that's what you mean by Team Tactical) doesn't have reduced health, just buffs to certain weapons and much stronger head shots. For some numbskull reason, assault rifles (easily the best class in the base game) were buffed the most. Shotguns got pretty much nothing.

You got it mostly right. In TTDM, base health is reduced to 70 from 100, making assault rifles even more powerful, as the NV4 will always 3-shot up to long range. As if people needed more reason to keep using it.

And as you said with headshots, all weapons with headshot multipliers have their values increased by .2, except shotguns. This makes assault rifles all essentially have an inbuilt hollow point, which means with HP, your assault rifles deal an absurd 1.5x damage with a headshot. It's stupid. They didn't need to be any more dominant than they already were.

kuYuri

Invective also has the stability perk and doesn't take up a valuable Pick-10 point. Infinite Warfare is a lot less generous with those than Black Ops 3's were, seeing as a second tactical now costs two points instead of 1, and Ghost is absolutely mandatory.

Besides, it's not like aiming for the upper torso is difficult. The stability perk isn't anything special, but it does help. Pairing it with Grip results in a 10% reduction in viewkick in all directions, which you may not notice, but you will feel.

But if you're pairing Grip with Stability on the Invective, you're using a Pick 10 point regardless. 'Aiming for the upper torso is not difficult', I can also say "controlling the KBAR recoil is not that difficult" as well when used in its effective range. It really depends on the user.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Invective sucks. I'm just saying it's not necessarily worth the 4000+ Salvage unless the person just really wants it.

Top Bottom