• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

Dabanton said:
hardcore and barebones are far more enjoyable than core for me. Going back to that mode on occasion is bewildering. People throwing hand grenades everywhere and shooting at anything that moves with no concern or intelligence.

Hardcore for me results in more interesting matches like CS:S i love that you have to be sure before you pull the trigger or throw a nade as you could kill someone on your own team.

And three sloppy team kills and you're kicked. It's actually made me a better player.

What's the point of a playing a shitty imitation of CS, when you can play the real thing.

S+D isn't a shitty imitation, it's an evolution of the concept. In a lot of ways it's better when you're in a certain mood.

When I play CS I don't get the same satisfaction that I get when I play CoD. They do two completely different things.

kuYuri

LeMaximilian said:
Hey Gaf. My latest MW3 breakdown followup video just hit Machinima. Also discussing the absence of the nuke in MW3 MP.

Modern Warfare 3: Maximilian's Trailer Breakdown Revisited (MW3 Analysis/Commentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLw4AdGaRSQ
In a very impromptu interview from Gamescom, Robert Bowling reveals that the AC130 killfeed icon is in fact just placeholder, as the IMS icon wasn't created. I can provide a link to the interview later.

The whole AC130 marker was a nice theory though. :p

EDIT: Here's the interview, quality is not great since it was presumably taken by a fan: http://youtu.be/ddTVB3G1iZI

Rizzo

Karram said:
So now that the PC version does have dedicated servers, can we easily assume that there will be a map editor ?

We can hope, but I doubt it. I'm sure they make a lot of money off those map packs.

Karram said:
So now that the PC version does have dedicated servers, can we easily assume that there will be a map editor ?

lol.gif

Why on earth would having dedi's equate to a map editor?

legacyzero

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
lol.gif

Why on earth would having dedi's equate to a map editor?

They go hand and hand usually.

But knowing Activision, they probably wont put out the SDK for fear of not raping you with DLC.

Sorry, I probably sounded like an asshole, didn't mean to come off that way.

But yeah, with Activision/EA, dedicated servers aren't a guarantee of anything else that we used to get, unfortunately.

zam

legacyzero said:
I mainly like your videos for 1 reason. You're not a douche. You bring valid stuff to the table, and discuss it like a boss. You dont get that much these days on Youtube.
I agree, keep up the good vids Maximilian!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
legacyzero said:
But knowing Activision, they probably wont put out the SDK for fear of not raping you with DLC.
I do believe that MW2 is the only COD to never release an SDK. Even BLOPs released it's recently. Seeing as that MW3 seems to be returning to more of the PC standard with dedicated servers, it's not much of a leap to assume that they will also put the SDK up at some point.

legacyzero

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I do believe that MW2 is the only COD to never release an SDK. Even BLOPs released it's recently. Seeing as that MW3 seems to be returning to more of the PC standard with dedicated servers, it's not much of a leap to assume that they will also put the SDK up at some point.

You make a good point, and you know damn well that they are gonna take advantage of the EA vs STEAM fiasco and go for the jugular. "BF3 doesn't have mod tools. We do."

Stantron

Strider2K99 said:
In a very impromptu interview from Gamescom, Robert Bowling reveals that the AC130 killfeed icon is in fact just placeholder, as the IMS icon wasn't created. I can provide a link to the interview later.

The whole AC130 marker was a nice theory though. :p

EDIT: Here's the interview, quality is not great since it was presumably taken by a fan: http://youtu.be/ddTVB3G1iZI
This is what I always assumed. Besides no AC130 map icon, the IMS explosive detonates way too quickly for it to have been a trigger for an AC130 shooting from high in the sky. After finding out it was indeed an IMS, and how those work, that was even more conclusive. Good to have official clarification. Most of the other things in the video are meticulously placed, like all the hints of how point streaks work. The confusion created some good buzz though.

Earlier in the survival part of the video, you see the guy get killed and money flying off of him. If you look closely, the player fills the money meter in the bottom left of the screen. So it's not like MW2's payback, but instead, a way of indicating that that kill got you a bunch of bonus cash. I also remember an old interview where they mentioned that those meters get reset if you take damage.

Dabanton

TacticalFox88 said:
So...I wonder if we'll have a repeat of the naysayers still buying this game after they claimed they were coycotting it after MW2?

It happens ever year.

I must say i like how IW have handled themselves so far this year. For one they've got my respect by not getting into a sad tit for tat with a developer who i thought was better than that

We still have a MP reveal to come and get to see what they've added and i think it going to surprise a lot of people.

Karram

Rizzo said:
We can hope, but I doubt it. I'm sure they make a lot of money off those map packs.
I recall that BO map editor was supposed to be released last May/June, but for some reason it didn't.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Mush said:
Holy shit dude, I did not know you were posting vids for Machinima. Congrats man!

Thanks very much guys, glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully will release later vids going over MP details after XP, with a full MP Preview as soon as I get my hands on the game itself. With any luck, I'll get the game a week or so before release like previous COD's. We'll see.

Ark

TacticalFox88 said:
So...I wonder if we'll have a repeat of the naysayers still buying this game after they claimed they were coycotting it after MW2?

Been on the BF3 hype train all year and I'm just waiting to pre-order MW3 on Steam.

No dedicated servers for consoles is confirmed by Robert Bowling on his twitter. Didn't really think there would be.

Good video Maximillian. I would also point out that the spec ops trailer shows 3 multiplayer maps: 'dome', the desert radar installation, a london map and what looks like a small seaside village map.

zychi

Banned
So is there just one version of the game this time around? No Elite, Collector's or SuperRemoteRaceCar Edition?

kuYuri

The Xtortionist said:
Not sure why the guy isn't holding his MP5 by the grip that's clearly attached.

I think it's placeholder. This demo was created for E3, but in Spec Ops video, you can see the character hold it by the grip.

xz9Ra.jpg

venom2124

zychi said:
So is there just one version of the game this time around? No Elite, Collector's or SuperRemoteRaceCar Edition?
The hardened edition artwork was shown, I believe on 402's site. The contents haven't been revealed yet though.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Idk if its been posted anywhere or not but Glen Schofield from Sledgehammer Games did an interview on GameTrailers that they posted a couple days ago. It details a new Spec Ops mode (called "Invisible Threat" maybe? that's the title of the interview).

Anyway apparently one guy is the Juggernaut, bitch and he goes around on the ground disarming IED's and the other player is a sniper following him from up high and he protects him and tells him where to go. Seems like a pretty sweet mode.

Link here.

Danny 117

Bumblebeetuna said:
Idk if its been posted anywhere or not but Glen Schofield from Sledgehammer Games did an interview on GameTrailers that they posted a couple days ago. It details a new Spec Ops mode (called "Invisible Threat" maybe? that's the title of the interview).

Anyway apparently one guy is the Juggernaut, bitch and he goes around on the ground disarming IED's and the other player is a sniper following him from up high and he protects him and tells him where to go. Seems like a pretty sweet mode.

Link here.
I'm not gonna lie, that sounds awesome and very creative.

Bumblebeetuna said:

Link here.

Thanks for that, looks great!

I know GAF hates MW2's story, but I could care less about how insane it is. Thats one of the reasons I enjoyed it. Of course the spec ops and MP is the meat of this game, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing what happens in the story.

kuYuri

I believe there has been an interview about Invisible Threat posted earlier, but what's one more? At this point, I'm just waiting for a video or screenshots of it in action, tired of only descriptions.

Anyway, I'm totally expecting Invisible Threat to give the Hurt Locker vibe.

Lionheart1827 said:

I know GAF hates MW2's story, but I could care less about how insane it is. Thats one of the reasons I enjoyed it. Of course the spec ops and MP is the meat of this game, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing what happens in the story.
I only hate the last 30 mins or so. Other than that, it's an awesome dumb action story with some really interesting concepts that I hadn't experienced in an FPS before.

COD4 and MW2 had really enjoyable stories, I think. COD4's was especially good.

I always finish the SP before I touch MP in COD games. Great rollercoaster ride.

Lionheart1827 said:

I'll admit, as much as I rag on it, I'm not going to sit here and lie that coming out and seeing the Washington Monument with Hans Zimmer's epic score in the background didn't wow me. Hell the most ludicrous parts of the story (the invasion) are some of my most replayed missions of all time. Every other COD I play the Campaign ONE time. Black ops is AWFUL compared to MW2's campaign.

a defcon mode would be cool and hearing the announcer say each defcon as things get more intense or dangerous. Or a mode like trying to prevent a nuke going off, 2 opposing teams and then like a 3rd ai controlled team. the first to stop the nuke wins. I doubt it would be possible sounds to complicated:(

FJ0372

Hey guys, I know this is completely unrelated to MW3, but I didn't really know where to post it, so here it is. How bad is MW2 online on PC? I've got it on Xbox 360 and don't think its that bad at all, I know there is no dedicated servers on PC which is disappointing. Also are there a lot of cheaters (aim bots) or glitch abusers? Also I hate black ops so please do not recommend that to me.

Thanks guys!

DTKT

FJ0372 said:
Hey guys, I know this is completely unrelated to MW3, but I didn't really know where to post it, so here it is. How bad is MW2 online on PC? I've got it on Xbox 360 and don't think its that bad at all, I know there is no dedicated servers on PC which is disappointing. Also are there a lot of cheaters (aim bots) or glitch abusers? Also I hate black ops so please do not recommend that to me.

Thanks guys!

Right now, it's pretty hard to find a lobby by yourself. The matchmaking is not very good and you will jump through several empty lobbies before finding one. It helps if you buy the map packs. It might be a little bit better with the new influx of players but it's probably not as fast as launch day.

kuYuri

Looking at the list of weapons that have been reported out there, I think there are already more Assault Rifles in MW3 than in MW2 or even Black Ops.

I predict a huuuuge weapon list, I wonder if some of them don't make the cut for MP (like how W1200 and Dragunov were not in MP for MW2, but were in the SP/Spec Ops).

Strider2K99 said:
Looking at the list of weapons that have been reported out there, I think there are already more Assault Rifles in MW3 than in MW2 or even Black Ops.

I predict a huuuuge weapon list, I wonder if some of them don't make the cut for MP (like how W1200 and Dragunov were not in MP for MW2, but were in the SP/Spec Ops).
as long as I get my G36C I don't care:D

One good thing Black Ops did was put a greater emphasis on sub-machine guns compared to MW2.

Let's be honest - the only ones worth using in MW2 were the UMP and, maybe, the P90. The Vector had some fans, personally I didn't think much of it.

In Black Ops you had the MP5, AK74u, dual Scorpians and even something like the MPL could be pretty deadly in the right hands (and with rapid-fire).

Obviously this is all pretty subjective but it seemed that way to me anyway.

Top Bottom