• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

Bumblebeetuna said:
More shit talk from DICE

Summary:

BF "fun to lose", CoD "not fun to lose". Apparently the guy has never been on the losing end of a game of Rush because your entire damn team is sitting back at the spawn sniping or lost Conquest because no one on your team understands the concept of flag capturing.

Also, BF is a "gourmet meal", CoD is a "hot dog". Does not specify if CoD is a plump angus hot dog or a scrawny cheap brand hot dog made of chicken feet and cow anus.
All the shit talking is annoying. Prove your point when the games come out! It'll speak for itself!

nomis

_Alkaline_ said:
One good thing Black Ops did was put a greater emphasis on sub-machine guns compared to MW2.

Let's be honest - the only ones worth using in MW2 were the UMP and, maybe, the P90. The Vector had some fans, personally I didn't think much of it.

In Black Ops you had the MP5, AK74u, dual Scorpians and even something like the MPL could be pretty deadly in the right hands (and with rapid-fire).

Obviously this is all pretty subjective but it seemed that way to me anyway.

Kiparis extended mag has so little ammo, but is intense.

Yea definitely the only subs worth using were the UMP and P90. Hopefully they increase the amount of guns for each class to promote some more diversity between classes.

Xux

_Alkaline_ said:
One good thing Black Ops did was put a greater emphasis on sub-machine guns compared to MW2.

Let's be honest - the only ones worth using in MW2 were the UMP and, maybe, the P90. The Vector had some fans, personally I didn't think much of it.

In Black Ops you had the MP5, AK74u, dual Scorpians and even something like the MPL could be pretty deadly in the right hands (and with rapid-fire).

Obviously this is all pretty subjective but it seemed that way to me anyway.

Haha, I felt perfectly capable using every SMG in MW2; heck every gun in MW2 felt viable to me. Six of the Black Ops SMGs felt fine even if they did feel weak at close range compared to the FAMAS and AUG. The other three were either insultingly designed to be completely awful (the Uzi) or just bizarrely redundant (the PM63 and Kiparis).

Gun balance in Black Ops seems like such a joke compared to the MW2 balance.

Xux said:
Haha, I felt perfectly capable using every SMG in MW2; heck every gun in MW2 felt viable to me. Six of the Black Ops SMGs felt fine even if they did feel weak at close range compared to the FAMAS and AUG. The other three were either insultingly designed to be completely awful (the Uzi) or just bizarrely redundant (the PM63 and Kiparis).

Gun balance in Black Ops seems like such a joke compared to the MW2 balance.
Wat. WAT!?

Xux

TacticalFox88 said:
Wat. WAT!?

Of all the trolling I do talking about gun balance
I miss you, TMP. :(
this is something I'm serious about.

The Xtortionist said:
The BO Uzi can't be any worse than the F2000. They're both clearly joke guns.

The F2000 was a few thousand times better than the Uzi. I got Mastery with the F2000 and the only thing I could find wrong with it was you couldn't go full-auto cross map with it. Close range it's perfectly viable.

Uzi doesn't have any positive aspect.

Vol5

NightHawk17 said:
Yea definitely the only subs worth using were the UMP and P90. Hopefully they increase the amount of guns for each class to promote some more diversity between classes.

It's all subjective. Vector + Scavenger on any hardcore mode is my choice. It's absolutely deadly at any range due to little to no recoil.

Xux

Shit, they've shown every SMG from the MW games except the Mini-Uzi.

Wish they'd do the same with the LMGs. Kinda weird that they have the US soldiers using M60s and the Russian soldiers using RPDs five years in the future but whatever. I just want the best gun in the series
the L86
back.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Idk if its been posted anywhere or not but Glen Schofield from Sledgehammer Games did an interview on GameTrailers that they posted a couple days ago. It details a new Spec Ops mode (called "Invisible Threat" maybe? that's the title of the interview).

Anyway apparently one guy is the Juggernaut, bitch and he goes around on the ground disarming IED's and the other player is a sniper following him from up high and he protects him and tells him where to go. Seems like a pretty sweet mode.

Link here.
So basically the Hurt Locker the Videogame. Sweet.

scoobs

i for one can't understand how anyone can use an ACOG scope on anything... too obtrusive to my view in front of me. no scope or red dot = only way to go.

Xux said:
Shit, they've shown every SMG from the MW games except the Mini-Uzi.

Wish they'd do the same with the LMGs. Kinda weird that they have the US soldiers using M60s and the Russian soldiers using RPDs five years in the future but whatever. I just want the best gun in the series
the L86
back.
And the supposedly Alternate Universe 2017 Russia still uses MiG-29s and AK-47s....

Real question, I know there is mention of it in the OP but is it confirmed that guns will actually have noticeable recoil and that stats will mean something?

djm

They've said nothing about the guns, let alone the recoil or stats.

To be honest, the recoil in Black Ops was fine. There is no equivalent of the ACR, everything has at least some muzzle climb if you just let it rip at fully automatic. The only gun I can think of that doesn't is the Skorpion, but that's an SMG and hits like a pellet gun past 30 feet.

e: But if I had to take a guess, count on shooting models similar to MW2.

kuYuri

-Pyromaniac- said:
Real question, I know there is mention of it in the OP but is it confirmed that guns will actually have noticeable recoil and that stats will mean something?
It's not confirmed per say, it's really CoD players playing the game at events and describing how they thought the guns felt. Besides, the game is still in development and gun feel is subject to change.

I do indeed think the recoil in Black Ops was fine enough, but MW2 was bad in this regard to me, and this is an IW title so I'm not sure whether it will be the same as Black Ops or not. In MW2 it seemed to me like it didn't matter if you chose an assault rifle or SMG at any given time a lot of guns had a similar feeling. People were even using shotguns in situations that should have no business with them. Just wasn't a huge fan with the mechanics. Black Ops improved it to acceptable levels. I don't expect Battlefield levels but I want something there.

But if it is like black ops then I won't be disappointed in that regard. Guess we have to wait to hear/see more.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I do indeed think the recoil in Black Ops was fine enough, but MW2 was bad in this regard to me, and this is an IW title so I'm not sure whether it will be the same as Black Ops or not. In MW2 it seemed to me like it didn't matter if you chose an assault rifle or SMG at any given time a lot of guns had a similar feeling. People were even using shotguns in situations that should have no business with them. Just wasn't a huge fan with the mechanics. Black Ops improved it to acceptable levels. I don't expect Battlefield levels but I want something there.

But if it is like black ops then I won't be disappointed in that regard. Guess we have to wait to hear/see more.
if you look at the single player videos released, the guns appear to have some recoil. not on the level of black ops, but more than mw2.

Forsaken82 said:
How many were in MW2 at release?
I think it launched with 16.

Also when the big MW3 leak happened on Kotaku a while ago there were 20 shown, so to hold back 7 whole maps would be a bitchhhhh.

It could be that they're only showing 13 maps because a few spoil the main game or something.

But I think it's bogus. I really can't see them doing 32 players.

Xux

-Pyromaniac- said:
Errr...only 13 maps? I'm gonna assume it's either BS or they haven't completed all the maps yet.

If some/most are big enough for 32 players and filled with unique assets like CoD maps usually are I could accept it.

Forsaken82 said:
How many were in MW2 at release?

Hosting 32 players on P2P seems like it'd be a nightmare after seeing what hosting 18 in Black Ops was like...even though it wasn't so bad in MW2.

The action/chaos is one of the main things I love about the game, but 32 players seems like it would be too much chaos. Ground War is just about the limit of what's still fun in MW2.

More than that? Eh.

I could be wrong though, depending on map size/design. But I'd prefer them not to take the gamble personally.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The action/chaos is one of the main things I love about the game, but 32 players seems like it would be too much chaos. Ground War is just about the limit of what's still fun in MW2.

More than that? Eh.

I could be wrong though, depending on map size/design. But I'd prefer them not to take the gamble personally.
They NEED to take risks. One of GAFs biggest criticisms of the Franchise is that each game is the same shit repackaged. I say go for it.

Like I said, it could work, but more players doesn't seem to be the changes they should be making.

At the risk of starting something I shouldn't, a move up to 32 players would seem more like a way of combating BF3 more than anything else.

kuYuri

The most I can accept for large maps is 24 and even then, that's stretching it.

Also, that list of maps is right out of the Kotaku leak, similar to Invisible Threat.

So is XP another trailer with some gameplay vids from the event or are they going full blown reveal with all the multiplayer information (mechanics, maps, modes, etc...).

Foliorum Viridum said:
16 I think it was.

I hardly consider a 3 map difference to be an issue. Especially with the effort that seems to be put into Spec Ops... if it was 10 or less than There may be an issue with me... but otherwise this doesn't bother me...

I expect 90% of the servers on PC will end up have a 3-5 map rotation at best, with probably 50% of those focusing on a single map rotation... and the matchmaking on consoles usually plays in a similar fashion when 50% of the maps are usually vetoed in favor of others... but at least it is more random

Yeah... not really an issue to me.

-Pyromaniac- said:
It bothers me because you know they're holding shit back for map packs.

You can say that about 90% of games that release now though. This is not something new that MW3 began.

Compare UT3 to UT2004 for instance. (although in this case... the game sold so poorly that they didn't even bother)

That being said... I seem to have more self control then most of you it seems seeing as I am yet to buy a single CoD map pack since the original Modern warfare released. I am perfectly content on playing the same maps over and over as long as there are constantly people to play with. How hard is it really to not buy the map packs? Or if it bothers you that much, just don't buy the game at all?

legacyzero

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
If that 32 players thing turns out to be true....holy shit, Ground War will be fucking EPIC. hahaha

Shame that Groung War was always laggy shit. They should back Ground War up with Dedi servers.

-Pyromaniac- said:
It bothers me because you know they're holding shit back for map packs.
Sadly, But I'm hoping that they learned their lesson about MW2's shitty maps and made them more like COD4. 90 percent of that game's maps were fantastic (fuck you Wetwork and Countdown.)

Top Bottom