• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

There was numerious discussion on the weird artifacts in the screenshots on eurogamer, im pretty sure someone has been buysy with photoshop. Im sorry developer dude but the game looks like boiled ass :lol

Effect

Captain N said:
I seriously think this is one of those games that will look better in motion.

That's the case with all Wii games and should be for all games in general. They are meant to be seen in motion. Even when you are standing still in a game things are still moving around you. In the case of Wii games this should have been learned long ago you can't judge them by screen shots. You have to look at those games in motion.

maxmars

Effect said:
That's the case with all Wii games and should be for all games in general. They are meant to be seen in motion. Even when you are standing still in a game things are still moving around you. In the case of Wii games this should have been learned long ago you can't judge them by screen shots. You have to look at those games in motion.

Not only that, but the controls help a lot immersing the player into the game, while on other platforms that's a task completely assigned to graphics / audio.

I think WaW with a zapper, online, was the most fun I ever had with an fps. I could definitely see the graphical flaws, but who cares, when you're actually aiming and shooting at someone.

Effect

However I'm still seriously bothered by there still being no gameplay footage of this game yet. :(

I could simply get the original on the Xbox 360 and the new one (which I might get after a price drop) but I simply have more fun with the Wiimote then a traditional controller when it comes to FPS.

Doc Evils

EmCeeGramr said:
So fyzxwhyz, I gotta ask.

call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20090819003434630.jpg

What is up with that dude in the bottom-right corner? :lol

He looks like a midget compared to the guy on the left.

Vagabundo

BoloTheGreat said:
There was numerious discussion on the weird artifacts in the screenshots on eurogamer, im pretty sure someone has been buysy with photoshop. Im sorry developer dude but the game looks like boiled ass :lol

Wow so you've seen the final game?

Have you, junior? Have you???

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Vagabundo said:

He doesn't need to see the final game to tell it looks like ass

what does him being a junior have to do with anything ?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Because juniors are not as cool as regular members for some people. That's how it is here. It's like those regular members were never juniors before.

Razien

Banned
It is getting on my nerves.

Does Activision want it to fail that bad? fyzxwhyz got my interest. I've been here and on a forbbiden website and many potential consumers aren't simply preordering this game due to lack of videos. The game is less than 2 weeks away and still nothing. Dedicated gamers must hunt the internet for info, that only comes thanks to a single developer that is talking without the publisher's approval.

Can you go to the Activision guys and ask WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON for me, please fyzxwhyz? Seriously, we just want a goddamn video. If they don't want to advertise the game, at least make them let you release info and videos and screens at will. It'll still sell badly enough so they can brag the lack of hardcore gamers on Wii - and keep doing fast ports with small teams - but well enough so you guys can be happy and we gamers can have enough people to play onlne for a long time.

Vagabundo

Kentpaul said:

What is he psychic? Reaching out to visualize an unreleased game, he can tell it looks like boiled ass.

Or he he making assumptions based on alpha screenshots?

Disguises

It's like people havn't got used to the fact that Wii games look worse than 360 or PS3 games. It's going to look good compared to a lot of games on the Wii considering it's a port and not built from the ground-up.

Also, I totally forgot about the DS version of MW2. There's been a lack of media and information on that too. The video that was released looked pretty good. Seems like Activision want all attention and hype on MW2 360 and PS3. Pity because if more media and information would have been released then the games would sell loads more.

dacuk

BoloTheGreat said:

You are doing a lot to leave your junior status...
NOT!

Kentpaul said:

Let's say that trolling is not an desirable step to gain full membership at GAF

Vagabundo

Razien said:

Does Activision want it to fail that bad? fyzxwhyz got my interest. I've been here and on a forbbiden website and many potential consumers aren't simply preordering this game due to lack of videos. The game is less than 2 weeks away and still nothing. Dedicated gamers must hunt the internet for info, that only comes thanks to a single developer that is talking without the publisher's approval.

Seems like a standard now to release games as stealthily as possibly; it's almost like publishers are embarrassed at having to support the Wii.

Can you go to the Activision guys and ask WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON for me, please fyzxwhyz? Seriously, we just want a goddamn video. If they don't want to advertise the game, at least make them let you release info and videos and screens at will. It'll still sell badly enough so they can brag the lack of hardcore gamers on Wii - and keep doing fast ports with small teams - but well enough so you guys can be happy and we gamers can have enough people to play onlne for a long time.

I'm pretty sure fyzxwhyz - such a crazy name, so random - said he did not have any contact with the PR side of things. So he might now be able to get any info on what the planned marketing - or lack off - is going to be...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Vagabundo said:
Seems like a standard now to release games as stealthily as possibly; it's almost like publishers are embarrassed at having to support the Wii.

I'm pretty sure fyzxwhyz - such a crazy name, so random - said he did not have any contact with the PR side of things. So he might now be able to get any info on what the planned marketing - or lack off - is going to be...
I read it as Physcs Wizz(ard)

gamingeek

Razien said:

Yeah, seriously fyzxwhyz. Do us a favour, go ask the PR guys when media is releasing and if they say "Coming soon" simply ask one additional question "Give me a date F*****!." And shout it in their faces :lol

Seriously is this game going to be released on the back of a few shitty screens? Are we going to have to rely on user generated off screen pics and youtube videos to see the game in motion and only after its released? This is atrocious.

If it weren't for you we'd have no information at all.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
gamingeek said:
Yeah, seriously fyzxwhyz. Do us a favour, go ask the PR guys when media is releasing and if they say "Coming soon" simply ask one additional question "Give me a date F*****!." And shout it in their faces :lol

Seriously is this game going to be released on the back of a few shitty screens? Are we going to have to rely on user generated off screen pics and youtube videos to see the game in motion and only after its released? This is atrocious.

If it weren't for you we'd have no information at all.
that would ALMOST be as epic a way to get fired for him to leak game screens and footage himself. the difference being that at the end of such a conversation with PR, we STILL wouldn't get any footage or screens.

EDIT:
in case if anyone wants to see the "new" boxart.
30abb5u.jpg

much less obtrusive...

gamingeek

doomed1 said:
that would ALMOST be as epic a way to get fired for him to leak game screens and footage himself. the difference being that at the end of such a conversation with PR, we STILL wouldn't get any footage or screens.

EDIT:
30abb5u.jpg

much less obtrusive...

He should poop into an empty game box and give it to the PR guys as a final version. Then when they open it a tiny explosive charge goes off. Then a small flag erects that says "Where are the screens?!"

That would be more epic.

Kibbles

doomed1 said:

EDIT:
30abb5u.jpg

much less obtrusive...
So It's not called REFLEX anymore? Make up your damn mind Activision. This is like the whole "Modern Warfare 2" "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" deal. :lol I guess it's okay since nobody knows of this game outside this thread.

they should just fire the morron who came up with that piece of idiocy in the first place. And remove it altogether.

Not try to cover it up while keeping it on the damn boxart. Make up your darn mind Acticrapvision

I have a strange ass backwards theory.

Maybe the bad screens and deliberate lack of information serves as a way to hype the game. People are so eager to see how hilariously bad it is that threads like this just grows bigger than actual good games. One of the reasons I'm keeping tabs on this is because I want to see how fugly and pathetic this game's going to be.

This is also why I keep my eye on Sengoku Basara. The PS3 screens are nothing special, and I want a good laugh to see just how bad the Wii version's going to be. Normally, I wouldn't give a crap about this game -- or COD4 for that matter.

Cow Mengde said:
I have a strange ass backwards theory.

Maybe the bad screens and deliberate lack of information serves as a way to hype the game. People are so eager to see how hilariously bad it is that threads like this just grows bigger than actual good games. One of the reasons I'm keeping tabs on this is because I want to see how fugly and pathetic this game's going to be.

This is also why I keep my eye on Sengoku Basara. The PS3 screens are nothing special, and I want a good laugh to see just how bad the Wii version's going to be. Normally, I wouldn't give a crap about this game -- or COD4 for that matter.
No... Just no.

Not in a million years.

Showing crap pre-alpha screenshots while the dudes working on it don't even know why they were shown is not, I repeat, not a way for hyping the game. Even if it was as you say, as you point out, by having no videos or proper media other than some ancient screenshots... we assume it looks like absolute turd (like the only screenshots they've released look), but seeing that, how could these morons be expecting to sell more due to the way they're handling it? they're not, then again I don't really know what the fuck they do expect, but I do look forward to see them crying around the corner a few months from now, on how their game didn't sell and so we won't have Modern Warfare 2 two years after it came out everywhere else and coming out simultaneously with yet another sequel, Modern Warfare 3, exclusively not for the Wii (that's right, I'm saying that even if this sold we, wii gamers, would be used as a stepping stone, yet again, for a game we don't have).

I'm just tired of it at this point. They don't want to hype their darn game? Well then, they can even have the game for themselves, have fun, yes, you two.

Bit-Bit

Kibbles said:
So It's not called REFLEX anymore? Make up your damn mind Activision. This is like the whole "Modern Warfare 2" "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" deal. :lol I guess it's okay since nobody knows of this game outside this thread.

Reflex is still there. Just in very tiny letters.

lostinblue said:
No... Just no.

Showing crap pre-alpha screenshots while the dudes working on it don't even know why they were show is not, I repeat, not a way for hyping the game. Even if it was as you say, as you point out, by having no videos or proper media other than some ancient screenshots... we assume it looks like absolute turd (like the screenshots they've released look), but seeing that, how could these morrons be expecting to sell more due to the way they're handling it?

Not in a million years.

That's why I said it was a strange ass backwards theory. I'm probably the only guy who keeps on eye on this turd for a laugh.

Cow Mengde said:
That's why I said it was a strange ass backwards theory. I'm probably the only guy who keeps on eye on this turd for a laugh.
The HD dudes also do. But then again, they never considered buying it.

It would just be a elaborate and expensive joke. Then again, I don't know whether I should call this port/joke expensive or not; they're obviously not fuzzed on getting their money back, or perhaps it's so low they're gonna get it back even if they call it REFLEX PARTY and put a giant piece of dog shit in the cover. (like Ubisoft in 2008, actually)

Vagabundo

lostinblue said:
The HD dudes also do. But then again, they never considered buying it.

It would just be a elaborate and expensive joke. Then again, I don't know whether I should call this port/joke expensive or not; they're obviously not fuzzed on getting their money back, or perhaps it's so low they're gonna get it back even if they call it REFLEX PARTY and put a giant piece of dog shit in the cover. (like Ubisoft in 2008, actually)

What are you talking about? They made a shit load of money on WAW for the Wii.

OnPoint

Vagabundo said:
What is he psychic? Reaching out to visualize an unreleased game, he can tell it looks like boiled ass.

Or he he making assumptions based on alpha screenshots?

Everyone is so caught up in his trolling that they are missing the real question: How does he know what 'boiled ass' looks like?

I am curious to see the final version of this game. I don't know why, but I will definitely check this out.

OnPoint said:
Everyone is so caught up in his trolling that they are missing the real question: How does he know what 'boiled ass' looks like?

I am curious to see the final version of this game. I don't know why, but I will definitely check this out.

No clue, but the phrase brings up some interesting images.

crawfish_boil_2.jpg

Razien

Banned
Vagabundo said:

WaW wasn't two years old, they did show the game at Nintendo's E3 presentation (off screen, with only four shitty - but at least semi-updated - screens to follow, and then the first direct feed video a month after launch,. but still), and there was key Wii specific advertisement a month after launch, which did pique A LOT MORE interest towards the game (sales were bigger than first week - surprise, advertising games make them sell better! First publisher to do it on Wii, and still didn't learn, it seems).

Reflex is old port, the only info the general public got are extremely ugly shitty touched up screens and lies about this being a complete port (why would anyone believe when they lied about WaW?), there is no cross advertisement, the timing kills any effect that post advertising could generate.

If Reflex sells, it is only due to the CoD brand - which isn't as nearly as strong as it is on other platforms for obvious reasons; the DS's got more effort towards their ports/versions - and fjdskfhs's (whatever) effort to show a bit more about the game here. I can't see it doing nearly as well as WaW. Remember, the software situation now is A LOT better on Wii than a year ago.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bisnic said:
Because juniors are not as cool as regular members for some people. That's how it is here. It's like those regular members were never juniors before.

I don't think I was ever a junior member, actually. Don't think there was a distinction back then.

Vagabundo said:
I'm talking about how they aren't willing to release media for it, or build up hype.

You don't do that for a game you're publishing, unless you don't give a flying fuck about how it does, or in case you don't want it to do well at all, but that was my point in the first place, whatever the reason... it's STUPID.
Razien said:
I can't see it doing nearly as well as WaW. Remember, the software situation now is A LOT better on Wii than a year ago.
More than that, they must think because WaW was a long tail seller, that we hardcore don't matter (we also buy games after their launch, yeah?) so they aren't even trying.

The point is... if WaW hadn't appeared on Nintendo Conferences and be playable on showfloors and stuff... it wouldn't have sold like it did, for starters there would be no hype and no proper media.

Even if the Wii software situation is better this year, we actually have a developer doing less to deserve their clients money, than they did the year prior. So I really gotta say, they don't deserve to sell it.

I can only wish them a safe trip down the downright idiotic path they've chosen to promote their product, hoping they'll crash and burn in hell, really.

deleted

lostinblue said:
You don't do that for a game you're publishing, unless you don't give a flying fuck about how it does, or in case you don't want it to do well at all, but that was my point in the first place, whatever the reason... it's STUPID.More than that, they must think because WaW was a long tail seller, that we hardcore don't matter (we also buy games after their launch, yeah?) so they aren't even trying.

The point is... if WaW hadn't appeared on Nintendo Conferences and be playable on showfloors and stuff... it wouldn't have sold like it did, for starters there would be no hype and no proper media.

I can only wish them a safe trip down the downright idiotic path they've chosen to promote their product, hoping they'll crash and burn in hell, really.

I think it will sell quite well for exactly the reasons you mentioned above.
WaW wasn´t front loaded, that implies the typical gamer croud doesn´t care too much about this game on the Wii. The Nintendo conference was some nice free advertising, but you don´t sell 750k based on a conference that was held month earlier.
A late TV spot after the launch provided some nice sales, why would Activison build up hype this time when they proved the last time they don´t have to?

Haunted

Bisnic said:
It's the same superiority people with a tag exude over the regular Members. Better get used to it you lowly peon!

Razien

Banned
xyla said:
I think it will sell quite well for exactly the reasons you mentioned above.
WaW wasn´t front loaded, that implies the typical gamer croud doesn´t care too much about this game on the Wii. The Nintendo conference was some nice free advertising, but you don´t sell 750k based on a conference that was held month earlier.
A late TV spot after the launch provided some nice sales, why would Activison build up hype this time when they proved the last time they don´t have to?

Because the "later TV spot" came in November, a month after launch and before holidays, and was THE main reason why sales spurred after launch and made it reach 1 million. Now, promotion after launch is a month too late, as the game comes out in November. By the time they decide to start promoting, it'll be already a new year and most potential consumers will have already spent their Christmas money and will have moved on to the awesome 2010 Wii launches (until March: NMH2, MH3, TvC, FFCC CB, RS2, maybe S&P2, and that is just top of my head).

Read my previous post, please.

Vagabundo said:

Those screens are photoshopped, they have things aded to them like the dude in the corner. They are obviosuly promotional screens. These are the best they could cerry pick. They look like boiled ass, they are ugly. Is that so hard to grasp? Also insulting me for being a junior? Seriously?

Are you really defending this piss poor cash in port or are just trying to start an argument?

Wait a minute i will get you some PS2/Xbox/GC/2004 PC screens to compare them to.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BoloTheGreat said:
Wait a minute i will get you some PS2/Xbox/GC/2004 PC screens to compare them to.
Please don't. We already know how crappy those screens look, and this thread has had already enough idiocy when people posted screenshots to prove that PS3 games look better (sigh).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Taking two for the team, folks. Along with MW2 (PC), I decided to preorder this and the DS iteration. Uh oh.

Gilby

Mejilan said:
Taking two for the team, folks. Along with MW2 (PC), I decided to preorder this and the DS iteration. Uh oh.
Be sure to tell us how it is, I'm actually interested in buying this if I hear good things.

Sadist

BoloTheGreat said:
Those screens are photoshopped, they have things aded to them like the dude in the corner. They are obviosuly promotional screens. These are the best they could cerry pick. They look like boiled ass, they are ugly. Is that so hard to grasp? Also insulting me for being a junior? Seriously?

Are you really defending this piss poor cash in port or are just trying to start an argument?

Well you could have read the thread for starters. We've done everything you want to cover, so no.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gilby said:
Be sure to tell us how it is, I'm actually interested in buying this if I hear good things.

The DS iterations are all handled by N-Space, and have been getting better and better.
Treyarch's CoD3 for the Wii wasn't too terrible. It suffered from that roughness around the edges that comes with rushed launch titles, and while the IR aiming controls destroyed those of Red Steel, they were not nearly as well implemented as later titles (MoH Heroes 2, MP3, Conduit, etc.) I've barely touched W@W on the Wii, but the controls are rock solid so far.

Assuming Treyarch does the core game justice, it'll probably turn out just fine on the Wii. That it has almost every major feature of its bigger siblings is a nice touch, because CoD3 and W@W most definitely did not.

The funny thing is, I've got the PC version of Modern Warfare 1 (and W@W) here at home, and have had them since launch, but I've yet to get around to installing them. :lol

I've been double-dipping with the Wii versions more out of morbid curiosity than anything else.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Bisnic said:
I never was. Got straight into awesome town (H)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
BoloTheGreat said:

please don't. it's already been done. quite a bit.

we already know these screens are terrible. as to whether they're indicative of the final game is what's unknown. this whole game is such an Activision PR blunder that i'm kind of wondering what's going through their heads...

either way, there's some bigger boxart for pal territories:
1zwf2o6.jpg

replace the PEGI logo with an ESRB "M" and it's probably about the same.

also, there's a rumor going around that we'll be getting footage today, tomorrow, or thursday. expect none of it to be true.

deleted

Razien said:
Because the "later TV spot" came in November, a month after launch and before holidays, and was THE main reason why sales spurred after launch and made it reach 1 million. Now, promotion after launch is a month too late, as the game comes out in November. By the time they decide to start promoting, it'll be already a new year and most potential consumers will have already spent their Christmas money and will have moved on to the awesome 2010 Wii launches (until March: NMH2, MH3, TvC, FFCC CB, RS2, maybe S&P2, and that is just top of my head).

Read my previous post, please.

Yeah sure, but they could start the spots with the launch of the game. Consumer watches it, thinks something along "Had quite fun with last years CoD Wii" and buys this years version. No need to wait a month this time and still no reason to air spots before launch. Or is it already set in stone, that the game will not be advertised on tv?

Top Bottom