• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

doomed1 said:
please don't. it's already been done. quite a bit.

we already know these screens are terrible. as to whether they're indicative of the final game is what's unknown. this whole game is such an Activision PR blunder that i'm kind of wondering what's going through their heads...

either way, there's some bigger boxart for pal territories:

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zwf2o6.jpg

replace the PEGI logo with an ESRB "M" and it's probably about the same.

also, there's a rumor going around that we'll be getting footage today, tomorrow, or thursday. expect none of it to be true.

:lol yeah, the word afterthought dosen't even go close to covering the lackluster effort behind this game.

You know at this point they could put it on rails and it wouldn't surprise me. Activision what the hell is wrong with you?! Why have you suddenly become the kitten eating, gamer expoliting, PR simpleton you seem to be?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Don't be an idiot. The developers have already promised that just about every single major feature of the earlier versions of CoD4 will be in the Wii version, unlike Wii adaptation of CoD3 and World at War. I think voice chat might be removed (heard things going both ways regarding Wii Speak support), and multiplayer has been paired down to like 10 players or something, but beyond that, every feature and mode is in.

Clearly they're making something more than a token effort here.

CoD3 for the Wii was singleplayer only. All multiplayer modes were taken out, and they didn't even bother including split-screen offline multi. THAT was a bullshit effort. World at War was an improvement. Much better controls... some of the features of the big-brother efforts. This seems to be yet another improvement.

Activision, and espeically Kotick, certainly have become one of my least favorite publishers out there, but at least give Treyarch a chance for a real unveil here. They've only been improving.

Ninja Dom

So I've got Modern Warfare on my MacBook. It runs okay but I do get black textures on certain models. I do quite like the game.

I have a PS3 but I'm not really a PS3 gamer. I ONLY play Team Fortress 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the PS3 (I've only got three PS3 games total).

I'm a BIG Wii gamer. I regularly buy games for the Wii.

Is there any reason to buy Modern Warfare Reflex over the regular PS3 version of Modern Warfare? Silly question? I guess it is.

Ninja Dom said:
Is there any reason to buy Modern Warfare Reflex over the regular PS3 version of Modern Warfare? Silly question? I guess it is.
Wait for it to release and be evaluated by media outlets.

Still, the only reason to get the Wii version instead of it's HD brothers is the control scheme at place, all the rest of game will be identical (hopefully since we have no proper media for it still).

Anony

that's an interesting prospective
i'd asked fyzxwhyz to comment, but it seems like he hasnt replied there, probably cuz it would get him into trouble

Luigiv

other than the pics in the op has there been any other media released for this port? or is all bitching still based of the two pics in the op.

It's amazing how little they've shown of this game. They said this is the best looking Wii game to date. While I doubt that, I'm sure it's not that bad. I'd say the conspiracy theory probably holds some weight.

benjipwns

Banned
Luigiv said:
Interesting speculation but he has no real proof to back it up. Lets wait until the game releases before we start pointing fingers.
It's also interesting that the guy signed up there just to make that thread.

Anony

IsntChrisL said:
It's amazing how little they've shown of this game. They said this is the best looking Wii game to date. While I doubt that, I'm sure it's not that bad. I'd say the conspiracy theory probably holds some weight.

every new game that comes out says it's the best looking game

highly doubt that after having just played dead space extraction

and even more impressive with resident evil darkside chronicles coming

devilhawk

Ninja Dom said:
So I've got Modern Warfare on my MacBook. It runs okay but I do get black textures on certain models. I do quite like the game.

I have a PS3 but I'm not really a PS3 gamer. I ONLY play Team Fortress 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the PS3 (I've only got three PS3 games total).

I'm a BIG Wii gamer. I regularly buy games for the Wii.

Honestly, other than the pointer controls the only reason could be the community. If the Wii game sells you will have a growing community oppose to the falling number of PS3 users players due to them switching to MW2.

If you are talking about the Wii game versus MW2, then the pointer controls would be the only reason really. Who knows how good the game/controls will be though.

fyzxwhyz

Neo Member
Anony said:
that's an interesting prospective
i'd asked fyzxwhyz to comment, but it seems like he hasnt replied there, probably cuz it would get him into trouble
Yeah, I can't comment in detail on this. Suffice to say that IW controls what happens to the call of duty franchise, and that they have a lot of weight to throw around based on their past successes and on the astronomical sales projections for MW2. I'm sure they get a large cut of whatever money MW Wii makes, and thus have a personal stake in the game selling well. But even by the most optimistic projections, MW Wii will bring in pennies compared to whatever MW2 makes. I'm sure that any decision to be made regarding MW Wii began with the question: "Is this potentially going to hurt MW2's sales?"

As for Treyarch's part, we put together the best quality port we could, and we're all proud of the results. It's our hope that the Wii shooter audience will find the game and enjoy it, one way or another.

scitek

Well, fyzxwhyz even said they were contractually obligated to not change things like gun models, so I'm sure Infinity Ward is protective of their IPs to a certain degree. I'm also pretty sure they aren't very keen on the idea of Treyarch making mainline entries in the series. I remember when they were showing off CoD4 to the press, it was noted that the game was labeled as CoD3 on their hard drives, probably meaning they didn't see CoD3 as a true entry in the series.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Effect said:
Came across this post on GS and not sure if it was talked about here. Have to say if there is any truth to this it's just insane. However it makes me want Reflex to do well all the more if it is even partly true. It makes to much sense I think.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/...s.php?topic_id=m-1-51823950&pid=970125&page=0
yeah, i made reference to that a few pages back with absolutely no confidence in it. it was originally posted on GameFAQs, so again, little confidence. there might be a grain of truth to it, and honestly if it was proven true it wouldn't surprise me, i just wouldn't put any stock into it. it's a bunch of correlation without causation.

fyzxwhyz said:
Yeah, I can't comment in detail on this. Suffice to say that IW controls what happens to the call of duty franchise, and that they have a lot of weight to throw around based on their past successes and on the astronomical sales projections for MW2. I'm sure they get a large cut of whatever money MW Wii makes, and thus have a personal stake in the game selling well. But even by the most optimistic projections, MW Wii will bring in pennies compared to whatever MW2 makes. I'm sure that any decision to be made regarding MW Wii began with the question: "Is this potentially going to hurt MW2's sales?"

As for Treyarch's part, we put together the best quality port we could, and we're all proud of the results. It's our hope that the Wii shooter audience will find the game and enjoy it, one way or another.
heh, as if they haven't done enough to hurt the sales with all the recent snippets of info...

in all honesty, we really are grateful to you guys. that you're confident in your product and that you care to see it do well, not to mention that the consumer is happy about it, really means alot to us poor, attention starved Wii children (sic). so really, thanks. i'll probably double the amount of time i put into WaW for it.

Vagabundo

Blah; there is a stink of politics about this whole affair.

I hope the sales work out really well. There is a nice community being built on the Wii for COD and hopefully this carries through here.

I might be adding my gun to the squad for the first time. Huzzah...

Vagabundo said:
Blah; there is a stink of politics about this whole affair.

I hope the sales work out really well. There is a nice community being built on the Wii for COD and hopefully this carries through here.
I might be adding my gun to the squad for the first time. Huzzah...

agreed
WaW and the conduit has many great online players. There are surpisingly few immature kids on there

zooL

Infinity Ward even wanted to lose the "Call of Duty" name for MW2 (and leave it up to Activision what to do with it). I guess they wanted to close that chapter and concentrate on Modern Warfare to be their (and ONLY their) masterpiece which everyone would connect to IW. But lower sales projections without the CoD in the title (and Activision to a huge part I can imagine) forced them to put it back in. That Activision allowed others to touch their new child, the Modern Warfare-Franchise seems to piss them off so much that they try to sabotage the success of those projects in every way they can.

I guess IW will try to get away from Activision as soon as possible... anyone knows if Modern Warfare belongs to Activision or IW?

adelante

Wow that gamespot post clearly illustrates how Activision's playing the role of the rich dad and IW being his spoilt brat of a son

iamaustrian said:
agreed
WaW and the conduit has many great online players. There are surpisingly few immature kids on there

I don't know about immature kids, but anytime I try playing The Conduit, I run into cheaters and hackers. I booted it up the other day and was killed by teammates, people shooting through walls, and an automatic-firing rocket launcher.

I might give this a try though. I like CoD4 for PS3, but I'm pretty terrible with the dual analog set-up no matter how many times I give it a second (really fifth) chance. And "terrible" doesn't even describe it when in comparison to the accuracy that the Conduit controls afford.

Honestly, with the division between HD and Wii, it might've been a really interesting experiment to put Treyarch on Wii and Infinity Ward on HD. I do realize people don't want spin-offs. If Treyarch was given equal resources and time, however, the Wii version might be better served with a ground-up version that doesn't arrive two years later. Also, there could be some healthy competition between the two teams.

Just an idea. It's probably nothing either team is asking for.

Disguises

Gamer @ Heart said:
Fucking A. I want to see footage of this game more than i want to play any other game this year.

Me too - easily.

Just watched the 'ninty news' feature (ugh) on the UK nintendo channel and they mentioned modern warfare, which I guess is better than nothing.

Luigiv said:
Interesting speculation but he has no real proof to back it up. Lets wait until the game releases before we start pointing fingers.

Just as Infinity Children's Ward intended.

...Excellent...[/Mr. Burns]

:)

GrayFoxPL

doomed1 said:
either way, there's some bigger boxart for pal territories:
1zwf2o6.jpg

replace the PEGI logo with an ESRB "M" and it's probably about the same.

also, there's a rumor going around that we'll be getting footage today, tomorrow, or thursday. expect none of it to be true.

Bit unreleated, but I was just thinking it would be funny if they'd mix up the name a bit just for wii version. Like:

DUTY CALLS:
"Warfare of Today"

:]

hellclerk

GrayFoxPL said:
Bit unreleated, but I was just thinking it would be funny if they'd mix up the name a bit just for wii version. Like:

DUTY CALLS:
"Warfare of Today"

:]
my friend's deconstruction was "CALL OF WARFARE: MODERN DOODY: BATHROOM'S THAT WAY"

Scrubking

It's hard to believe that Activision is letting IW intentionally sabotage this game, but at this point there is little in the videogame industry that would surprise me.

fyzxwhyz said:

:(

I don't understand the hate for Treyarch. COD3 was pretty good and WaW was an excellent game and easily fits up there with COD4. I swear, people must be criticising a Treyarch game, because they are supposedly known as the 'lesser' dev to the COD series.

To me, they are making the COD series stronger, not damaging it.

Disguises

weeman_com said:
does anyone here believe this will be a worthwhile buy?

I just dont trust treyarch to give us a quality game...
World at war on Wii wasn't too bad. Hell, it even snagged the golden joystick award for "nintendo game of the year", which means people must have voted for it! (I did). I spent a lot of hours online in WaW and only stopped playing because glitches became more widespread. Apparently they have a 'hotfix' feature for Reflex so when a glitch in the level is found, they can patch it up.

If you've never played MW before then I'd say this is a very good purchase since MW is a very good game both multi and single player.

hellclerk

weeman_com said:
does anyone here believe this will be a worthwhile buy?

I just dont trust treyarch to give us a quality game...
why not? it's an Infinity Ward game. all Treyarch did was port it at the bequest of Activision.

i really do hope this game sells well though. it would be great to have a good pool of people to play with to maximize ping when not hosting...

Ormberg

Disguises said:
World at war on Wii wasn't too bad. Hell, it even snagged the golden joystick award for "nintendo game of the year", which means people must have voted for it! (I did). I spent a lot of hours online in WaW and only stopped playing because glitches became more widespread. Apparently they have a 'hotfix' feature for Reflex so when a glitch in the level is found, they can patch it up.

If you've never played MW before then I'd say this is a very good purchase since MW is a very good game both multi and single player.
Woah woah woah, is this true? That sounds awesome!

I'd like a link or something, I was under the impression that Wii games could not be patched.

rezuth

Ormberg said:

I'd like a link or something, I was under the impression that Wii games could not be patched.
Super Mario Galaxy was patched when it came out IIRC.

hellclerk

rezuth said:
Super Mario Galaxy was patched when it came out IIRC.
no, that was Wii Sports Resort, and that was a whole OS switcheroo from a bug that they embarrassingly missed.

but yes, Wii games CAN be patched, what's required is the preexisting infrastructure to use them, kind of like DLC.

Disguises

Ormberg said:

From J-rocks info gatherings: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18047438#post18047438 (Some REALLY good info here that sums up what we know about the game)
Q: Will you guys test this game hard enough so that there will be no glitches at all?

A: It isn't really possible to get rid of 100% of all possible map glitches. We had a large test team "humping walls" for like 6 months and we fixed everything they found. But we did the same thing on the last game and we still didn't catch all the glitches.

Something new for this game is that we can issue tiny hotfixes for small parts of the maps to patch up map holes, so once map glitches are discovered we should be able to fix them.

Effect

Good to know they will be able to do this. I don't mind not having DLC content. If it's just a number of maps it doesn't seem like a big deal.

True the link I posted is all speculation but far to much of it seems thoughtout. It does seem crazy that Activision would allow something like that to go on I agree, especially since they own Call of Duty now since acquiring Infinity Ward. However there is always the risk that those at IW could leave to start up a new company and then they could lose those developers if they didn't allow them a certain amount of freedom. Perhaps that could be the sword hanging over Activision's head in a way and that could allow something like this to take place. IW while a great developer isn't the only one of it's kind and others could step up. Though that makes the idea of IW not wanting others to prove themselves, meaning they lose less importance in the overall situation not to far out there.

That would mean there is an insane amount of politics taking place. However so much time has passed and there is still no media for Reflex. So it does seem like something isn't right here.

DMeisterJ

Banned
That post on the GS forums is interesting.

It's very weird that Activision/IW hasn't gone back to numbering the titles after CoD4. And it's even more telling that they tried to push it as Modern Warfare 2 when it was first announced, but changed it back to CoD: Modern Warfare 2 after the market analysis said that less people were recognizing it (read that on GAF somewhere).

I think that they do want CoD to be solely theirs, and aren't happy with Activision wanting a yearly game, so they have to make the games different from Treyarch's so that they can sleep at night knowing that their precious franchise name is not tarnished. Of course there is no proff, but it isn't like it doesn't makes sense at all.

Razien

Banned
I've been playing Borderlands and yeah, I kinda like the Wii community more than the 360 and the PC communities in general. Don't know the PS3 community, but I imagine as a smaller, more quiet 360 community. Except for the incredible amount of cheaters (Conduit, MKWii and MoHH2 be damned), people seem polite and to be sport (like, log into a ctf map and actually try to catch the flag, and not pretend to be on dm).

xyla said:
Yeah sure, but they could start the spots with the launch of the game. Consumer watches it, thinks something along "Had quite fun with last years CoD Wii" and buys this years version. No need to wait a month this time and still no reason to air spots before launch. Or is it already set in stone, that the game will not be advertised on tv?

OK, you got a point. But, afaik, promotions take some time to make people start buying stuff, it is not instantaneous. One month and a half before Christmas, heavy MW2 promotion and absolutely no hype one week before launch are not the right way to aim for good sales. Until the game pick up some steam, it'll be after Christmas already, and people will be on budget control.

luoapp

DMeisterJ said:
That post on the GS forums is interesting.

I think that they do want CoD to be solely theirs, and aren't happy with Activision wanting a yearly game, so they have to make the games different from Treyarch's so that they can sleep at night knowing that their precious franchise name is not tarnished. Of course there is no proff, but it isn't like it doesn't makes sense at all.

There are definitely some politics dynamic playing out among the three. But there is no way Activision will give up the yearly schedule no matter how hard IW tries, just look at the money WaW generated. It is very likely WaW has generated more profit than COD4 did. After all, Activision is the owner of CoD ip.

weeman_com

Neo Member
MarkMclovin said:
I don't understand the hate for Treyarch. COD3 was pretty good and WaW was an excellent game and easily fits up there with COD4. I swear, people must be criticising a Treyarch game, because they are supposedly known as the 'lesser' dev to the COD series.

To me, they are making the COD series stronger, not damaging it.
its not so much "hate" but lack of trust.

COD3 was a mess and W@W was slightly better. I tried playing W@W after the conduit and seriously to me it was unplayable. granted i loved playing W@W on 360 i think its a fantastic game just their skills in bringing said titles to Wii is little more than palpable.

To me, they are making the COD series worse for nintendo systems. why cant we have a ground roots up Wii COD from either IW or Treyarch rather than porting the HD versions down that simply doesnt work.

Disguises said:

i played MW on the 360 till about halfway through when the disc would stop being read, i can say that there was no real enthusiasm to find a new disc to finish the story to me. I think id rather pick up MW2 on 360 than some poorly done rehash of a 2 year old game.

Think about this, WHAT is treyarc doing to this game to make it a must buy? nothing i can see, maybe the online will be fun but i am seriously pissed off at their attitude to no. of players online and voice chat. IF HVS can do 12 player with v/c why cant treyarch do v/c with 10 players online??? without having to cut players to 8? comments ive seen coming from activision, IW, and treyarch about the wii over the past couple of years just makes me not want to give them any of my money. so why should i?

doomed1 said:
why not? it's an Infinity Ward game. all Treyarch did was port it at the bequest of Activision.

i really do hope this game sells well though. it would be great to have a good pool of people to play with to maximize ping when not hosting...
i think its too little too late, this should have been done years ago.

and i dont think itll sell at all, i think people will be too smart with their money waiting on better games elsewhere

Bizzyb

Banned
Effect said:
Came across this post on GS and not sure if it was talked about here. Have to say if there is any truth to this it's just insane. However it makes me want Reflex to do well all the more if it is even partly true. It makes to much sense I think.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/...s.php?topic_id=m-1-51823950&pid=970125&page=0

Good read and would make plenty of sense in some regards. It is very unusual that we have seen NOTHING on the game (other than terrible screenshots) since it was announced and it's supposed to be coming out this year. That is highly suspect and makes me wonder if IW really has something to do with that. Otherwise, why release REALLY bad sceenshots and then nothing else. If that's not sabotage I dunno what is.

jacksrb

weeman_com said:
i played MW on the 360 till about halfway through when the disc would stop being read, i can say that there was no real enthusiasm to find a new disc to finish the story to me. I think id rather pick up MW2 on 360 than some poorly done rehash of a 2 year old game.

Well, I think that you owning a 360/PS3 pretty much removes you from the target audience (beyond the small group that would rather play with IR control). Whether the game turns out well or not, it is still more for Wii owners who didn't experience MW the first time around than something that is supposed to compete with your dollars for MW2.

Also, I am disappointed as anyone that we don't have relevant media for this game, but I don't blame IW at all for being anal/protective of their work. I think most devs would like the leverage to be that way, as they poor a ton of hours and work into their games. Not saying that the nitpicking isn't annoying from the consumer standpoint, I just understand how they could be that way.

[raises a glass hopefully to the day when we know what this game looks/plays like]

hellclerk

weeman_com said:
Think about this, WHAT is treyarc doing to this game to make it a must buy? nothing i can see, maybe the online will be fun but i am seriously pissed off at their attitude to no. of players online and voice chat. IF HVS can do 12 player with v/c why cant treyarch do v/c with 10 players online??? without having to cut players to 8? comments ive seen coming from activision, IW, and treyarch about the wii over the past couple of years just makes me not want to give them any of my money. so why should i?

i think its too little too late, this should have been done years ago.

and i dont think itll sell at all, i think people will be too smart with their money waiting on better games elsewhere
oh, i'm not disagreeing. this game should have come out two years ago with the original version, except that IW abstained. this is what we have now, better late than never, because at this point, it's shoulda woulda coulda.

also, you have to understand the circumstances that this game is being made in. 30 people to port a game that is in no way optimized for the hardware in the span of 10 months while STILL trying to improve upon it. if they had the time that the Conduit had, sure, they would probably be able to pull off the full 18 with voice chat, not to mention a much better put together game, but the fact of the matter is that Treyarch pulled this together under terrible conditions with strict orders to not add ANYTHING except the gimmick. Thing is, Treyarch's hands are tied and Activision is showing very little confidence in the title.

my opinion of The Conduit is very low. the guns feel samey, the multiplayer is laggy as all hell, and overall just a very humdrum experience. WaW provides less level variety, but signal is rarely a serious problem and overall game balance is far superior in my eyes. that's basically what i'm expecting and want from MWRE, those excellent feeling balanced modern weaponry. IW has turned me off to the prospect of buying MW2 myself, but if you would rather buy it, then that's your prerogative. no use in being butthurt by that which can no longer be helped. i'm just happy it's coming.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The game has shipped (along with MW2 for the other systems). We received our shipment today. The pictures on the back cover are noticeably better than the pictures that have been released. The lighting and textures do look improved, but I don't think it'll be enough to ward off criticisms (this is NeoGAF after all).

The main picture shows the soldiers walking down a road in the city, it still has some questionable textures on the uniforms and skin.

JJConrad said:
The game has shipped (along with MW2 for the other systems). We received our shipment today. The pictures on the back cover are noticeably better than the pictures that have been released. The lighting and textures do look improved, but I don't think it'll be enough to ward off criticisms (this is NeoGAF after all).

The main picture shows the soldiers walking down a road in the city, it still has some questionable textures on the uniforms and skin.

Yeah, I got to see the back of the box today as well, however, who knows if those are just bullshots or not.

hellclerk

luoapp said:
One picture, just one. Srsly, guys :lol
indeed. i'm pretty sure fyzxwhyz threw some disclaimers about the pics on the backs of the boxes. for example, one of the ones on the WaW Wii box was a BS render of Makin in daylight, except that such a level doesn't exist in any such form, not even the DLC map, makin day. i'll believe it when i have it on my TV screen.

speaking of which, i'll be putting together the thread. any final ideas to keep it zany?

Top Bottom