• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered available now standalone

cakely

Oh no, they added new cosmetic items that I can unlock without paying for them? And loot crate weapons that aren't better than the guns I already have, that I can also earn without paying for them? So evil!

People are so hyperbolic about this game, it's ridiculous. If I made the game I wouldn't have done it this way, but it in no way ruins the game, makes you virtuous for not purchasing it, or me mindless for buying it.

You're putting in some real effort, but it's not going to sell a single copy of CoD:MWR to anyone in this thread to anyone that's not already interested. And honestly? Those people already bought the game with CoD:IW.

xRaizen

To the people complaining about the added guns - none of them are as good or better than the M16 or the MP5. The M16 is still the easy mode gun.

My point is a large number of folks were never going to buy the game anyway, no matter what they did.
I definitely would have. I was prepared to wait until it happened. Then they pull that shit and charge more money for the same map pack that they easily could've put in the game from the start. Plus, $40 is too much for a soon to be 10 year old game, regardless of it being a remaster. They fucked it up and destroyed any interest I had in it. They can keep it now.

decisions

Well that's pretty much why I dropped CoD. Lack of innovation is one, the other as this thread is a perfect example of... the meatheaded Neanderthals that would happily eat shit with a smile.

Care to elaborate? I implore you. I haven't bought a single microtransaction in any game ever, let alone this one. I haven't bought the map pack. All I'm saying is that $40 for a good remaster of one of the best MP games of all-time is a good deal when compared with the asking prices for other recent remasters. This is the laughable hyperbole surrounding this game that made me want to make the argument in the first place, absolutely ridiculous insulting me to such a degree because I chose to defend a game that I enjoy.

Catvoca

Banned
40 dollars without dlc.
15 dollar dlc that was 10 when it originally came out.
Microtransaction lootboxes with powerful weapons (The best shotgun in the game is in a lootbox) as well as garish skins that look dumb as fuck in game.

Don't support this crap, it's not worth it. Especially after the devs were bigging up how this would be a completely faithful remaster pre-release.

MrNelson

Banned
My point is a large number of folks were never going to buy the game anyway, no matter what they did.
I was going to.

IW was the first CoD I skipped since I got into the series with WaW. I absolutely hated Ghosts' MP, and the beta felt just like it with the Black Ops III movement system thrown on. So I decided I wasn't going to blow $80 on a game I didn't want to get a game that I did.

If it was only cosmetics, I wouldn't have taken as much issue with it, but once they started throwing new weapons into the game that was it. I was sold on it being the same game I played split-screen with my friends back in high school, not a game with a bunch of new stuff added to it that wasn't there in the first place. I don't care if the new weapons "aren't really that good", the game was marketed as "CoD 4 with updated graphics", and it was only that for a few months.

If I do get it at some point, it will be used so Activision doesn't get a damn cent.

So, with loot boxes and the like, the bulk of the multiplayer is basically screwed with. How was the single player remake in the end? Worth getting it on sale later on?

RedFury

Care to elaborate? I implore you. I haven't bought a single microtransaction in any game ever, let alone this one. I haven't bought the map pack. All I'm saying is that $40 for a good remaster of one of the best MP games of all-time is a good deal when compared with the asking prices for other recent remasters. This is the laughable hyperbole surrounding this game that made me want to make the argument in the first place, absolutely ridiculous insulting me to such a degree because I chose to defend a game that I enjoy.
I'm curious as to why you even felt it was directed at you. Was a generality of my experience with the community. They try to "protect" the franchise (this one in particular) with a fervor you normally only see in cults. It's disgusting watching these people argue for DLC and MT. So no it wasn't directed at anyone person in particular, but if you want to put on that shoe I won't stop you carry on. Their is a difference between enjoying a game and spreading it's merit but don't kick it's shit parts under the couch as you try to sell it to others. That's in bad taste and not very honest at all.

kuYuri

It's fine to not want to pay the price, but the people coming in here out of nowhere calling this a quick, slapped together port is laughable and downright insulting. It's very clear they have never played it and had no intention of doing so if they've actually seen the work that was done on the game. Any other thread and there would have been bannings for these drive by shit posts. And I'm saying this is as someone who doesn't look back on MW with as much nostalgia as others and prefer the newer games, including Infinite Warfare.

Didn't they already make a ton of changes to the game and add guns and loot boxes?

No thanks. I wanted the original not whatever they turned it into.

I wonder what excuses the "I'm not buying this until it's standalone" folks will have now to keep complaining about it. Microtransactions and DLC?

it's $10 more than as part of last year's COD. For that price I'm waiting for Legacy edition to become cheaper... Might as well get 2 games for 40

Jarate

Banned
Brace yourselves for the hyperbole of being told not to play it because they put a gun to your head to buy loot boxes.
Maybe there's a sizeable portion of the hardcore gaming community who are not happy with anti-consumer practices?

Like, if you like the game then that's cool, but you have to realize a lot of people already dislike loot weapons in general, and dislike it even.more in a game that never had it to begin with

Idk why people are so mad that others wanted a plain old vanilla COD4 experience and don't want to buy something that doesn't provide that?

Its because its a decade old game that doesn't come with any DLC.. And the DLC is 5$ more than when it orginally was.

You don't understand why people are bitter towards this?

They basically held this game hostage behind having to buy IW and saying it will never be released by itself. I might be wrong about this but wasn't the lowest tier bundle 80$? So if thats the case they were selling it for $20 when they first came out. So now its out by itself (which they said it wouldn't) they throw on another $20. Even if the bundle was $100.. Thats 100$ for a game I don't care for and probably wouldn't play but have to keep cause I needed it to play MW4.

Then they pumped it full of microtransactions and loot boxes. Which in its self not horrible.. But some of the things are OP and i heard grinding for loot boxes is pretty bad too.

And you really can't compare this with TLoU:R because that came out with all the DLC and it only hit the high price point when it first came out as a Remaster. MW4:R has been out since November... I could probably go out and buy the bundle for a lower price than $40. I would love to play MW4 and have fun. But Activisions shady crap has totally turned me off this game

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
To the people complaining about the added guns - none of them are as good or better than the M16 or the MP5. The M16 is still the easy mode gun.

I mean if they lock the best guns in the game behind them then, yeah?

Found the Modern Warfare Remastered gun stats table on denkirson for anyone interested in taking a nosey.

I've personally never felt that the new guns were overpowered at all but good to have actual stats to look at for comparison reasons. M16 still remains the best gun in the game though by a large margin.

The hate his game receives because of some cosmetic dlc is crazy. You are not forced to buy those loot boxes. The game is still good and it is actually a real good remaster. There are way more questionable remasters like the Assassins Creed Ezio Collection or the Batman Arkham Collection. Sure 40 bucks is steep and the dlc is 5 bucks more than 10 years ago but again you are not forced to buy the dlc. Game is fine without it. The only valid complaint here is if Activision is not patching the game for use without the disc for owners of the Legacy Edition. And that is still unknow at the moment until the digital standalone version hits PSN.

COD4 is top 5 ganes of all time for me.
This remaster teams of urination and greed, it's comical. The corporate avarice that drenched this remaster is repulsive.A Hard no from me at nearly any price.

The hate his game receives because of some cosmetic dlc is crazy. You are not forced to buy those loot boxes. The game is still good and it is actually a real good remaster. There are way more questionable remasters like the Assassins Creed Ezio Collection or the Batman Arkham Collection. Sure 40 bucks is steep and the dlc is 5 bucks more than 10 years ago but again you are not forced to buy the dlc. Game is fine without it. The only valid complaint here is if Activision is not patching the game for use without the disc for owners of the Legacy Edition. And that is still unknow at the moment until the digital standalone version hits PSN.

"You dont have to buy it" is such a weak excuse when we're talking about gameplay DLC and DLC that splits the playerbase and hurts matchmaking

Whether you buy it or not, it affects everyone playing.

Cant believe people are defending this just because the remaster is good. It better be good! Thats the least of what people should expect.

This is besides the point that, to my knowledge, they lied about the psot launch content.

There is no reason for a remaster not to include the 4 map dlc that was otherwise included in the original GOTY Edition.

I'll just make it nice and easy as someone who has over 2 days played on the remaster.

Ignoring the DLC and microtransactions, the game plays nothing like the original CoD4, plain and simple. If that's what you want (which most of you reasonably do) this won't do it for you.

Couldn't agree more. I mean, I wish the DLC was free and there weren't micro transactions, but this game without the DLC and ignoring the cosmetic stuff is fantastic. Raven did a great job on this title. $40 is steep, but it really is a great remaster that maintains what made the 2007 version so great.

Top Bottom