• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered available now standalone

cakely

I wonder what excuses the "I'm not buying this until it's standalone" folks will have now to keep complaining about it. Microtransactions and DLC?

Yep exactly.

Oh, wait, you're trying to imply that that those aren't legitimate complaints? Hilarious.

peppers

It's not about the DLC itself, but rather the fact that they couldn't contain themselves and added it AFTER people had payed for a deluxe edition of another game that just happened to include this one. It's the fact that even though they remastered it, they show no respect to the original piece of work (which was obviously groundbreaking at its time and definitely deserved a remaster) and instead take the first chance they get to milk even further the fans that trusted them with their money.

Edit: I'm talking about Activison obviously, as far as I know, Infinity Ward are great developers.

Falchion

Already have it and the campaign alone makes it worth getting but I get if people don't want to support what they're doing with the multiplayer. Maybe rent it and just play through the campaign though because it's spectacular.

Syf

Banned
1MStysK.png

4IGEOca.gif

Way to go Activision, bravo.

For those who want to experience paid map packs and loot systems, this is a great chance to see a shitty dlc system kill a classic game. Jump in

No thanks, they can keep this microtransaction piece of sh.....*

*Pay only 1,99$ to unlock the last word, Rogue weapon skin included.

Daffy Duck

The hate his game receives because of some cosmetic dlc is crazy. You are not forced to buy those loot boxes. The game is still good and it is actually a real good remaster. There are way more questionable remasters like the Assassins Creed Ezio Collection or the Batman Arkham Collection. Sure 40 bucks is steep and the dlc is 5 bucks more than 10 years ago but again you are not forced to buy the dlc. Game is fine without it. The only valid complaint here is if Activision is not patching the game for use without the disc for owners of the Legacy Edition. And that is still unknow at the moment until the digital standalone version hits PSN.

Cosmetic DLC is fine, hell I spent enough on BO2 personalisation packs that I wanted, but this loot box BS pisses me off royally.

For one i hate RNG, secondly the earn rate of keys in this game may as well be zero, it takes fucking ages to earn keys and that is down to one component, they prey on the weak who will not want to grind for hours and will choose to drop real money on an RNG crate.

RedSwirl

So the DLC problem concerns the maps right? That would be especially bad on PC considering the DLC for the original COD4 was actually free on PC. I think that was the last game I played where I had to get the DLC maps off of Fileplanet.

EGOMON

So they basically lied through their teeths when they said the Remastered will never be released as standalone version.
Fuck you Activision

SkylineRKR

I wonder what Zampella thinks of all this. He said don't fuck it up when this got announced. The initial game was a good remaster. Its been in shambles since their lame DLC practices.

Kibbles

It's not about the DLC itself, but rather the fact that they couldn't contain themselves and added it AFTER people had payed for a deluxe edition of another game that just happened to include this one. It's the fact that even though they remastered it, they show no respect to the original piece of work (which was obviously groundbreaking at its time and definitely deserved a remaster) and instead take the first chance they get to milk even further the fans that trusted them with their money.

Edit: I'm talking about Activison obviously, as far as I know, Infinity Ward are great developers.
Yup, I played it up until they started adding in all that bullshit than dropped it. Disgusting

Chris1

I wonder what Zampella thinks of all this. He said don't fuck it up when this got announced. The initial game was a good remaster. Its been in shambles since their lame DLC practices.

It was fucked up from the announcement, handcuffing it to the shackles of IW

But yeah all the DLC and MTX just made it worse.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I wonder what excuses the "I'm not buying this until it's standalone" folks will have now to keep complaining about it. Microtransactions and DLC?

I'll put my hand up as one of those people and I'll give Yu three reasons why I either won't bother or will continue to wait.

1) Price. It's too high
2) They changed the multiplayer too much
3) They took way too fucking long when combined with 1 and 2

So yeah, now I'll continue to wait until a heavy price drop. Hopefully it has no online achievements.

New guns are not cosmetic items.

But those guns are not better than the standard guns. So they are not affecting the game balance. The standard guns were fine 10 years ago and they are still there.

"You dont have to buy it" is such a weak excuse when we're talking about gameplay DLC and DLC that splits the playerbase and hurts matchmaking

This is besides the point that, to my knowledge, they liec about the psot launch content.

I get the argument that splitting the player base is a shitty thing to do. But we are talking about a single map pack not multiple map packs. I haven't looked how MWR handles the DLC in matchmaking. Is it a seperate playlist? If so what's the big deal? Just play the other playlists or pay the 15 bucks. People around here buy way more stupid stuff on PSN/XBL.

They released free maps in a content update in december last year just like the announced prior to launch. Paid DLC was not in the cards officially last year.

M.W.

The MP doesn't hold up very well, IMO. Aiming feels off (dead zone) compared to other, more current shooters.

joecanada

My point is a large number of folks were never going to buy the game anyway, no matter what they did.

no I will definitely pick it up now...at about 20 bucks........ and by the way most people in those threads were saying "it will never be available alone get over it".

Now I can pay an overpriced remaster of a game with shitty microtransactions and ten year old DLC that costs more than it did. I love how Activision has defied the very concept of a Remaster by not including all the content, thus setting the stage for other publishers to start abusing remasters too.

I will never pay you money for MWR unless/until You stop treating gamers like resources to be harvested and disposed of.

ryseing

Seriously, if you're at all interested just get the IW Legacy Edition. Should be the same price and IW has an excellent SP.

Two great campaigns for $40 or less is decent.

Foxxsoxx

If it's ever for sale for $20 sure. Not falling for that double dipping shit though. Blows my mind they charged extra for a 10 year old DLC not included in a fuckin' remaster.

-hadouken

Is not like it's free. You need the disc inside to confirm you own it.
Maybe for the X1 version (which can be resold as it's on your disc from what I've read) but the PS4 legacy physical included a one use code that inexplicably requires the disc to boot.

The thing is, I'd play MWR more if I didn't have to go and insert the IW disc. Your loss Acti.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm glad it's finally out, I swore Activision would have had no choice but to do this much sooner.

I'm not sure if they fixed this but I don't think it's worth it for the MP, there's something slightly off about the aiming, not sure if it's netcode. It's just not as precise or in sync as CoD4 was to me. It might have something to do with the AW engine being retrofit into a 10 year old game. Campaign is bliss, though, I must have played it at least 5 times or so when it came out and got the platinum.

Despite the super fucking shady shit Activision pulled on this, MWR is easily the best remaster I have played. It's a true bottom up remaster in every sense of the word.

Jubern

I just got the IW Legacy Edition for 30 bucks, stocks are still plenty. Putting out the standalone remaster for 40 is, uh, bold to say the least.

Croash

If I'm only interested in the SP Campaign, is the remastering of it well made?

I remember the Digital Foundry comparison video at least showing great visual updates.

RedSwirl

I think everything happened this way because Activision is trying to slot this remaster into the Live-game model. Remasters and the live-game model don't really mix. It's the reason EA doesn't do any remasters.

Remasters exist to celebrate games as individual products, to celebrate things from the pre-games-as-a-service era. Live-games rely on players staying with the new thing and continuing to buy new stuff in it. Activision is trying to sell COD4 in a way it can keep bringing in revenue. They probably originally included it with IW as a part of the IW service itself -- think of it as a really big piece of DLC. That's pretty much the only way publishers have figured out to slide a remaster into the live-game model.

Cranster

Banned
30€ actually, not $30. Amazon.fr

(Looking at the conversion will make it look pricier to you but for us Europeans it is pretty much the same thing value-wise).
Is the game region locked by any chance? I live in Canada and that version is extremely cheap compared to amazon.ca.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If I'm only interested in the SP Campaign, is the remastering of it well made?

I remember the Digital Foundry comparison video at least showing great visual updates.
Yes, it's excellent, and that was the general consensus (even on GAF) when the game first came out. People saying otherwise now are just being (understandably) stubborn because the MP experience has been altered.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How can I get Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered?

Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered is only available through the Legacy, Legacy Pro, and Digital Deluxe editions of Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare.

Can I play Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered without buying Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare?

No, you must own Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare in order to get Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered.

https://www.callofduty.com/infinitewarfare/legal/faq

Might be time to update some of this shit lol

fersnake

I bought it at lunch back in the day on pc.(retail) then on steam years later. And i was going to buy this but they locked it with Infinite so i say no. And now they a announce the stand-alone and i was happy but at this price? Hell no! 40 bucks is to much for nostalgia.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I bought it at lunch back in the day on pc.(retail) then on steam years later. And i was going to buy this but they locked it with Infinite so i say no. And now they a announce the stand-alone and i was happy but at this price? Hell no! 40 bucks is to much for nostalgia.
Yum, lunch day.

Sorry.

The legacy edition has been available for sub £25 here in the UK for all platform from various places this past fortnight. Anyone who wanted just MW may as well have bought that instead.

Price gouging at its finest.

Top Bottom