• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

Stiler

People who say it looks generic; what do you expect it to look like? Do you want them to change the way the settings and outfits look?

Also: is it generic because so many games are copying the style Call of Duty made so popular to begin with?

Generic in terms of scripted "set pieces" lots of explosions and things that might look over the top.

The fear for some people is that the actual game will be virtually the same CoD style story that attempts to put you in the boots of a "regular/green" soldier and then in actuality makes the gameplay put you as the huge savior of the entire war, where enemies focus fire at you and your squad mates can't hit the broadside of a barn.

I hope they try new/different things and give us a story that's more grounded and believable.

Vibranium

Banned
I wish the developers the best, and good on people who've missed WW2 games, but I've already played this exact game, many many times. The patriotism is pandering and tasteless. I find it juvenile.

Secondly, there are so many untold stories and perspectives they could choose, from the Russian and Axis perspectives.
But this is a game that once again frames it like the only stories worth telling is from the American and Allied perspective, and often in the same areas and operations.

It highlights the immaturity at place. It becomes even more offensive and an eye sore, when the best campaign Call of Duty has EVER had, was the Russian campaign in the very first game. That is still to my mind, the most hearthitting and sickening piece of WW2 gameplay that I have played, and I think COD has never really been on the forefront of making aything in its single player since then, that really pushed the envelope.

Don't forget that COD was highly derritive from Allied Assault to begin with, and while it was a superior technical game, it was clear to me, even back that, that Allied Assault had superior art and sound design. COD had this clay look to it, but it had a really fun arcadey multiplayer. The second one, had some memorable North African segments, but the introduction of Halo-life recharge struck me as tone deaf.
I don't really subscribe to edgy "Cod Suxx00r0rz" But I cannot deny, that I have always have a strained relationship with the series. The Russian campaign of the first game, was the seminal new thing it offered, and frankly, I am still exhausted from WW2 fatigue.

When COD1 came out, many people requested that it would be interesting to have a campaign from other perspectives. From Finish rebels fighting against Russia, spanish resistence against Franco, to British and french held colonies fighting all over the world, from the perspective of a german soldier in the nightmare that is the russian theather - the most deadly and horrific battles of all the war. The complete insanity of millions of soldiers being sent in shorts and with light coats into die in the siberian winter, or having to be a russian civilian turned sniper, trying to survive a siege as desperation and cannibalism takes over.
There are so many many many amazing and dramatic real world tales. I have no disrespect to D-Day or the sacrifices made, but come on.
Maybe there are younger games who didn't go through the last terrible obnoxious and drawn out WW2 period we had in gaming. And there is nothing wrong with introducing the big stories and battles to a new generation, but I cannot be excited over this like I was excited over the BF1 reveal, even if BF1 remained uncommitted to the pacing of WW1, they showed aspects of that war which had never been seen like this.

Still though, I am excited for the people who are excited about this. I know a lot of people cannot get enough of this, and psychologically there often is this thing with when a country goes throug bad times that embarrasses its populace, it looks to its past glories in story and entertainment to try and remind itself what made it great in the first place. During the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, there was this massive influx of westerns being popular, and there studies that have highlighted this phenomenon going back to previous controversial periods in American history.

I do agree with you and hope to someday see AAA games tackling WWII from more varied perspectives like BF1 did. We may be waiting a long time though unfortunately.

Have you played CoD 3 by the way? The Americans still have top billing and get the majority of missions in the campaign, but Britain, Canada (!) and Poland (!) are featured in the game. Firing a Lee Enfield as a Canadian in that game was something that hasn't been done since.

I do agree with you and hope to someday see AAA games tackling WWII from more varied perspectives like BF1 did. We may be waiting a long time though unfortunately.

Have you played CoD 3 by the way? The Americans still have top billing and get the majority of missions in the campaign, but Britain, Canada (!) and Poland (!) are featured in the game. Firing a Lee Enfield as a Canadian in that game was something that hasn't been done since.

I actually have not. Nor have I played World at War!

Because Soviets played the most important part in defeating Nazis. What kind of question is that?

If anybody wants an idea of just how many people died in the Soviet campaign, watch this; http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

It's... something else.

I wish the developers the best, and good on people who've missed WW2 games, but I've already played this exact game, many many times. The patriotism is pandering and tasteless. I find it juvenile.

Secondly, there are so many untold stories and perspectives they could choose, from the Russian and Axis perspectives.
But this is a game that once again frames it like the only stories worth telling is from the American and Allied perspective, and often in the same areas and operations.

It highlights the immaturity at place. It becomes even more offensive and an eye sore, when the best campaign Call of Duty has EVER had, was the Russian campaign in the very first game. That is still to my mind, the most hearthitting and sickening piece of WW2 gameplay that I have played, and I think COD has never really been on the forefront of making aything in its single player since then, that really pushed the envelope.

Don't forget that COD was highly derritive from Allied Assault to begin with, and while it was a superior technical game, it was clear to me, even back that, that Allied Assault had superior art and sound design. COD had this clay look to it, but it had a really fun arcadey multiplayer. The second one, had some memorable North African segments, but the introduction of Halo-life recharge struck me as tone deaf.
I don't really subscribe to edgy "Cod Suxx00r0rz" But I cannot deny, that I have always have a strained relationship with the series. The Russian campaign of the first game, was the seminal new thing it offered, and frankly, I am still exhausted from WW2 fatigue.

When COD1 came out, many people requested that it would be interesting to have a campaign from other perspectives. From Finish rebels fighting against Russia, spanish resistence against Franco, to British and french held colonies fighting all over the world, from the perspective of a german soldier in the nightmare that is the russian theather - the most deadly and horrific battles of all the war. The complete insanity of millions of soldiers being sent in shorts and with light coats into die in the siberian winter, or having to be a russian civilian turned sniper, trying to survive a siege as desperation and cannibalism takes over.
There are so many many many amazing and dramatic real world tales. I have no disrespect to D-Day or the sacrifices made, but come on.
Maybe there are younger games who didn't go through the last terrible obnoxious and drawn out WW2 period we had in gaming. And there is nothing wrong with introducing the big stories and battles to a new generation, but I cannot be excited over this like I was excited over the BF1 reveal, even if BF1 remained uncommitted to the pacing of WW1, they showed aspects of that war which had never been seen like this.

Still though, I am excited for the people who are excited about this. I know a lot of people cannot get enough of this, and psychologically there often is this thing with when a country goes throug bad times that embarrasses its populace, it looks to its past glories in story and entertainment to try and remind itself what made it great in the first place. During the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, there was this massive influx of westerns being popular, and there studies that have highlighted this phenomenon going back to previous controversial periods in American history.

It isn't that they're singling out certain campaigns and regional conflicts during World War II to just "throw away" - it's because the ones that sell are the ones that are the most popular.

Look at Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers - they focus exclusively on the European Campaign and that's the most popular from the mindset of most World War II fanatics - myself included.

To me, this game is perfect, but I understand where you're coming from. It's just that a WWII game that was singularly comprised of just the Russian, Polish, Spanish, Italian and Canadian aspects would not sell near as well; and that's a shame.

Graphics are on point. Looks up to Battlefield levels.

I'm impressed with the change to core gameplay. Squad mechanics and a removal of the health regeneration? That changes the gameplay big time.

Also multiplayer sounds like Battlefield now. The Xbox one game page shows online as 2-48 players. Wonder if it will get destruction too?

Iacobellis

Graphics are on point. Looks up to Battlefield levels.

I'm impressed with the change to core gameplay. Squad mechanics and a removal of the health regeneration? That changes the gameplay big time.

Also multiplayer sounds like Battlefield now. The Xbox one game page shows online as 2-48 players. Wonder if it will get destruction too?

It shows up as 2-18 players for me.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Please add Finland vs. Russia campaign missions. If not at launch, then DLC.

And change that weird cover design. There is something wrong/off with they eyes of the dude staring. It looks fake. A budget title cover for a massive budget game.

Nokterian

Watched the video from eurogamer, good thing i didn't watch the stream since they went ham on the buzzword 'boots on the ground' trailer looks nice, also nice they are going back to WW2 but i kinda hopped to see it from a different perspectief there are still so many stories to tell from such rich history. WaW did this with great length showing it from the Russia side.

Also i remain skeptical how MP is going to be when the DLC hits most of the time it goes from bad to worse let's not hope this happens examples see IW and Blops 3 locking guns behind loot boxes...

After watching a bit of the official reveal video where the developers talk about the game and stuff..It really looks like they're trying with this game. Actually recording real weapon sounds and whatnot is a page right out of DICE's handbook for authentic sound. I'm impressed SledgeHammer is going all out with the production levels.

Advanced Warfare was the best Cod on current gen hardware, so I have faith in these guys. It will be a bombastic WWII COD style campaign.

After watching a bit of the official reveal video where the developers talk about the game and stuff..It really looks like they're trying with this game. Actually recording real weapon sounds and whatnot is a page right out of DICE's handbook for authentic sound. I'm impressed SledgeHammer is going all out with the production levels.

Other CoD devs have done real weapons sounds. Here is a video of Treyarch recording for WaW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Saej74mwOY

The problem is in the editing/mixing.

bombshell

• There's also a separate cooperative campaign that they're not talking about yet. It sounds like this is separate from the below note, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Seemingly in addition to the co-op campaign, the game will have Zombies mode. Specifically, "Nazi Zombies, an all-new cooperative mode featuring a unique standalone storyline set during World War II that’s full of unexpected, adrenaline-pumping action."
I don't think we should expect there to be two separate co-op campaigns.

The marketing buzzwords in your nazi zombies mode description are the exact same as the marketing buzzwords in the leaked material description of the co-op mode.

"full of unexpected, adrenaline-pumping moments"

41woxbN_d.jpg

Baseballjones

Neo Member
It's frustrating we won't be able to have a few quick death matches on say a lunch break on the company's WiFi for the Switch. Nintendo isn't going to get their party first person shooters so they better start thinking about making one themselves. Imagine what Nintendo could to if the built a first person shooter from the ground up on Switch. They've bragged about mastering unreal 4....well freaking prove it and go toe to toe and make a COD clone.

Gorillaz

IGN said after the stream that from what they've seen it does seem that the no health regen is purely SP only.
Health packs in MP in a post cod4 world does not work whatsoever. At that point the entire system would need a rehaul and would play alot slower. It would pretty much lose whatever fast paced edge it had on the competition.

Seventy70

I'm not really a big COD fan, but I'm so excited for this. I've gotten so tired of the futuristic sci-fi settings. It really is a breath of fresh air to come back to something familiar. By biggest hope for this game is that they really simplify the whole perks/weapons. Anytime I've booted up the recent COD games, I've just been overwhelmed with the amount of options in the menus. There really only needs to be a handful of perks and weapons. Just make those handful really good. Get rid of the billions of unnecessary skins and attachments. Their whole loot packs scheme makes me kind of doubtful though.

Jblanks

IGN said after the stream that from what they've seen it does seem that the no health regen is purely SP only.

That's really not surprising.

No way they were getting rid of health regen in MP.

Anyhow trailer looked ok, but I really only care about MP so I'll wait for E3 and the beta to justify purchasing it. Also people should probably stop asking for a Switch version..

Daffy Duck

I really am looking forward to playing the singleplayer aspect of this, it looks like it will be a really good singleplayer campaign.

Obviously can't comment at all on the multiplayer as nothing is known.

SomTervo

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Can't discern any meaningful plot but the characters seem pretty solid. That "Texas farmboy" line was painful though.

I guess watching this made me aware i'm too afraid it's too goddamn CoD again.
I'm up for a great WWII game but i'll wait till after the reviews.

Top Bottom