• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

Inside

YAnGMZJ.gif

wmEDSNM.gif

jelly

Welp, sounds like the first CoD I pass on in some time.

It's literally 2005 all over again with some tweaks for the modern day.

And zombies? Again? Seriously?

Come on.

Medal of Honor 'Playstation' -1999
MOH Allied Assault - 2002
COD World at War - 2008

COD Modern Warfare - 2007
COD Future Warfare - 2016

WillyFive

What exactly was wrong with the way BF1 delivered it's campaign? Honestly it was done really well and was their best Campaign since BC2.

BF1 had a great premise for a campaign, but the writing was atrociously simplistic, lacking any depth or characterization, with really shallow plot lines, and the gameplay played nothing like the actual multiplayer game.

dolabla

Yuck, GameStop's pre-order bonus is flat brim hat:

CODWWII_Hat_bonusLG.jpg

I'd wear it if it wasn't flat brim. Just not a fan of those type hats.

Gonna go pre-order today. My hype is astronomical. Super excited they've returned back to WW2. And the news about no health regeneration is fantastic.

Cool, that's a multiplayer map from the very first COD. Incidentally it still has an online scene, my 76 year old dad plays it regularly.

First, wat?

Second, yeah, you're right. I didn't recognize the first part of the gif behind the car, but the second part with the church, that's definitely from the original CoD. I remember that map relatively well.

mjc

Welp, sounds like the first CoD I pass on in some time.

It's literally 2005 all over again with some tweaks for the modern day.

And zombies? Again? Seriously?

Would you rather they do Infinite Spacewar instead? I mean, it has been just about 12 years since we've had a big time CoD set in WW2.

Yuck, GameStop's pre-order bonus is flat brim hat:

CODWWII_Hat_bonusLG.jpg

Gonna go pre-order today. My hype is astronomical. Super excited they've returned back to WW2. And the news about no health regeneration is fantastic.

Whats wrong with flat brim hats? Regardless I wouldn't wear it cause the logo.

El_Chino

Come on.

Medal of Honor 'Playstation' -1999
MOH Allied Assault - 2002
COD World at War - 2008

COD Modern Warfare - 2007
COD Future Warfare - 2016
What am I supposed to gather from this? I'm directly comparing it to Call of Duty 2

We've literally come full circle. What's old is new again and if that's your thing then cool.

Would you rather they do Infinite Spacewar instead? I mean, it has been just about 12 years since we've had a big time CoD set in WW2.
Since this is a Sledgehammer game I would've liked to see them continue with Advanced Warfare and further refine the gameplay. It was their own identity in the call of duty series.

Same goes for Zombies. That's Treyarch's baby. Let other developers incorporate their own co op mode into the series.

dmix90

Not a single peep about Soviet Union campaign/mission? Not even present in multiplayer? :(
However, the campaign also features missions taking place between 1940 and 1944 to "help set the stage for the narrative and establish the characters".
Is there hope?

cryingeagle.jpg

molnizzle

Just bend it yourself. That's how every hat used to come.

Whats wrong with flat brim hats? Regardless I wouldn't wear it cause the logo.

Can't speak for him, but I think they look dumb. Probably because I grew up in an era when flat brims were the dorkiest shit ever. We used to fold the brims around a baseball with rubber bands to get that shit real rounded.

Woah! No regenerating health? That has not been seen since Big Red One back in '05. This has me very interested now, my guess the replacement will be like Wolfenstein where it would only regenerate the last 20 blocks.

Stiler

I hope they show both sides perspectives and don't do like BF1 in that regard.

Plenty of German soldiers weren't Nazi's, some of them weren't even German.

In Saving Private Ryan for instance, a scene many people remember, right after they take the beachhead and a couple soldiers try to surrender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbW7Gkgu2U

Those two guys were part of an Ost Battalion, which were usually made up of POW's from other countries.

Those guys are saying, "Please don't shoot me, I am not German, I am Czech, I didn't kill anyone, I am Czech!"

I'd like to see some of the Germans portrayed as actual real human people, and not just stereotypical Nazi's that drunk the kool aid.

What exactly was wrong with the way BF1 delivered it's campaign? Honestly it was done really well and was their best Campaign since BC2.
Its heavy focus on stealth, one man armies and over the top bombast that just made the setting look silly.

I wish the word 'authenticity' would mean more than just audio/visual fidelity when it comes to games based upon reality. BF1 looked the part but it never felt the part. Mutliplayer was better for that, but it still had too many people running around with full autos.

Boke1879

Said this in the other thread, but I'm seeing a lot of positive responses from people with the announcement of this title.

I mean the game lives and dies by the MP but I'm sure people are excited for the SP, of course people are hype for Nazi Zombies. Now we just need them to reveal and give more info on the MP.

But yea..I suspect reception to this will be very positive.

Starfield

I really like what I've seen so far.

Last CoD game I bought was MW3 and I completely regretted it. The campaign was ok but not really that satisfying for a trilogy to end. There was no "EMP!!!!!" moment and it felt kinda lacking.
Then I tried multiplayer and it completely sucked. Too much going on, the game didn't focus on simple gunplay anymore.

After that it would only get worse so I decided to never buy a CoD again. All that futuristic bullshit aside the games really became something CoD never used to be.

But this time I think I will buy another Call of Duty again. Depends on how the multiplayer looks like but so far its all good man

edit: also please give us Carentan from CoD2

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh this looks good. I've been missing the WWII setting for a long time.

Yes, Condrey and Schofield (the founders of Sledgehammer) created the first Dead Space.

Still find it hilarious that they said they quit EA because they didn't want to keep making Dead Space forever, and now they've been stuck for quite a while doing only Call of Duty.

Oh man, seeing that gif in the first handful of posts has me excited. (Also makes me want a new Resistance...)

It'll be my first CoD (technically, I had modern warfare for a brief period before I returned it back when everyone was going on about it back then).

[*]In case that "Headquarters" note sounded bizarre, Sledgehammer's explanation is "Headquarters is a "social space" for players to hang out between matches, to "be rewarded and have fun."

They really don't want streamers to alt-tab between matches.

Expect this kind of thing in more and more games.

The game doesn't have regenerating health, though they're not saying what is replacing it yet. You will be much more vulnerable in the game in general, and this is also reflected in the story.

Does this apply to multiplayer as well or just single player?

The Normandy beach landing looks appropriately intense:

OhRIYyn.png

I wonder how many soldiers will be on-screen at once?

The big disappointing factor of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault's Omaha Beach mission was that there was only like 20 guys running up the beach with you and of course Medal Of Honor: Frontline was worse with like 8. I want to see at least 40 soldiers if not more to make it feel completely realistic and immersive.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Funny how the M1 Garand has made an appearance in the past three CoD's. I'm actually kind of tired of seeing it at this point, but there are plenty of other WWII weapons that I'm stoked for.

MouldyK

[*]Mission 2:
Normandy: From inside a Higgins landing boat, your squad will storm Omaha Beach in a visceral audiovisual experience unlike any D-Day landing experienced in a game to date. You and your fellow soldiers must overcome the enemy defenses to serve as the tip of the spear for the Allied invasion.

Maaaaan, I've been on Omaha Beach more than I've been to Margate at this point!

Top Bottom