• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

LazyImpossibleAuklet.gif

From the reveal

yep yep yep I want that

Toa TAK

Banned
Funny how the M1 Garand has made an appearance in the past three CoD's. I'm actually kind of tired of seeing it at this point, but there are plenty of other WWII weapons that I'm stoked for.
Time for the glorious return of the Greasegun and Thompson (in the main campaign and multiplayer).

Loxley

Maaaaan, I've been on Omaha Beach more than I've been to Margate at this point!

It's funny, people keep saying how the Normandy Beach-landing has been done a zillion times in games, but how many games (not including MP-only titles like Day of Defeat or BF1942) have actually featured it?

- MOH: Allied Assault
- MOH: Frontline (which was a pseudo-console port of Allied Assault)
- Call of Duty 2 (which focused on the Pointe du Hoc sector)
- Company of Heroes' 1st tutorial level

What else is there? Conker's Bad Fur Day? We've really only done the Omaha/Utah Beach landing like, twice as far as mainstream WW2 shooters go. Yet you'd think it's like the WW2 equivalent of the Hoth level or something the way people talk about how many times its been done.

Danneee

Environmental destruction or 4 player split screen with bots would make this a day 1 purchase for me,
But I guess both are out as they aren't mentioned:(

Toa TAK

Banned
It's funny, people keep saying how the Normandy Beach-landing has been done a zillion times in games, but how many games (not including MP-only titles like Day of Defeat or BF1942) have actually featured it?

What else is there? Conker's Bad Fur Day? We've really only done the Omaha/Utah Beach landing like, twice as far as mainstream WW2 shooters go. Yet you'd think it's like the WW2 equivalent of the Hoth level or something the way people talk about how many times its been done.
lol I like that

I like that a lot

Omaha Beach is the Hoth of WWII lol

DocSeuss

D-Day itself has been dealt with a LOT, though. Brothers in Arms did it, Call of Duty 1 did it, etc etc. It's not all about the beach landing. That particular battle is cool and all, but I think only two WWII games have taken place in the Pacific Theatre at ALL?

hivycox

Tbh it just looks like more of the same!
The campaign won't last long for sure and the multiplayer will be stale after a couple of matches.

Though I'm getting sick of these types of shooters since they don't seem to innovate much with their genre. It's a shame really!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
D-Day itself has been dealt with a LOT, though. Brothers in Arms did it, Call of Duty 1 did it, etc etc. It's not all about the beach landing. That particular battle is cool and all, but I think only two WWII games have taken place in the Pacific Theatre at ALL?

I would like to see more Pacific stuff but D-Day is arguably the single most important day of the 20th century and features the largest invasion force in human history. It kind of makes sense that it would be a regularly portrayed event, especially given the scope of it.

Alienous

Tbh it just looks like more of the same!
The campaign won't last long for sure and the multiplayer will be stale after a couple of matches.

Though I'm getting sick of these types of shooters since they don't seem to innovate much with their genre. It's a shame really!

But there's a playable lobby.

Loxley

Oh if we're talking about D-Day in general, then absolutely - I was just specifically referring to the Normandy beach landing.

As far as games that take place in the Pacific theater, the only ones I can think of are:

- MOH: Rising Sun
- MOH: Pacific Assault
- COD: World at War

Bad Company 2's intro level took place in the Pacific theater, although it was a fictional operation. But yeah, that aspect of the war is pretty under-represented.

Ryse: Son of Rome was where it jumped the shark for me.

GravyButt

Im thinking this is day 1 for me. Now I must decide on ps4 or xb1. Have they announced a marketing deal as far as which console gets dlc content first?

I must say, I missed big budget WW2 shooters. Its the only era where games can be nicely balanced and everyone knows the deal. My only wish: please shy away from future tech or experimental tech.

I wonder what's going to happen to Modern Warfare Remastered being standalone. Perhaps saving that shit for E3?

Seemingly what I wanted but I just need to make sure the maps are designed with actual structure and thought and they don't do all the perk and killstreak BS of recent games. Could be almost exactly what I want.

So far so good...

jelly

What am I supposed to gather from this? I'm directly comparing it to Call of Duty 2

We've literally come full circle. What's old is new again and if that's your thing then cool.

Since this is a Sledgehammer game I would've liked to see them continue with Advanced Warfare and further refine the gameplay. It was their own identity in the call of duty series.

Same goes for Zombies. That's Treyarch's baby. Let other developers incorporate their own co op mode into the series.

Same era but they might have something new to offer. COD1&2 aren't exactly deep. There is other COD devs who might have something Future too.

Hell, I would take some MOH Airborne or Brothers in Arms mission set ups which nobody really took anywhere. Sure, it's COD but I'm looking forward to mission scenarios and game play possibilities, even if stuck in a church and fending off Nazi's and Panzer tanks from the bell tower. That was neat in those two games and both set up differently, Airborne had you dropping in while the tanks circled the town area and you could tackle it in a few ways.

Alienfan

Looks like a huge step back for the franchise, not sure if I'll be able to stand the really boring grey colour palet for 10 hours plus, the whole thing seems to lack the creativity and variety the series was has been known for since MW. After having what was one of the best COD campaigns ever with Infinite Warfare, to regress back to a limited WW2 setting is a real, real shame. I'm still curious to see how it all pulls together, hopefully the trailer isn't a good representation and the campaign goes in a surprising direction

return to castle wolfenstein used sometbing similar

El_Chino

Same era but they might have something new to offer. COD1&2 aren't exactly deep. There is other COD devs who might have something Future too.

Hell, I would take some MOH Airborne or Brothers in Arms mission set ups which nobody really took anywhere. Sure, it's COD but I'm looking forward to mission scenarios and game play possibilities, even if stuck in a church and fending off Nazi's and Panzer tanks from the bell tower. That was neat in those two games and both set up differently, Airborne had you dropping in while the tanks circled the town area and you could tackle it in a few ways.
It doesn't have to be future though. They could've expanded on what the first black ops did with cold war missions, they could've done the Korean war, hell they could've done their own take on the drug war in Colombia.

This will be the CoD that I will buy day one! After IW i was about to give up on the franchise (the MP is horrible, not to mention the reward system and loot crates).
This seems like CoD in the right direction, day one!

Looks like a huge step back for the franchise, not sure if I'll be able to stand the really boring grey colour palet for 10 hours plus, the whole thing seems to lack the creativity and variety the series was has been known for since MW. After having what was one of the best COD campaigns ever with Infinite Warfare, to regress back to a limited WW2 setting is a real, real shame. I'm still curious to see how it all pulls together, hopefully the trailer isn't a good representation and the campaign goes in a surprising direction

There's always sequels to Infinite Warfare.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The most exciting prospect for me regarding this game is that it will be minimally an HD version of what MoH:AA did masterfully many years ago. I wish the many creative people that are no longer with Activision and the CoD team that started on MoH:AA and CoD 1 and 2 were on this project. Nonetheless, I am very excited to see this in November for both MP and SP. Hopefully, Sledgehammer takes a page from Battlefield 1 and incorporates historical narratives into the game and gives players an opportunity to learn more about a hugely important part of our world's history.

In one gameplay demo, I see a brief moment where the player caught a clip thrown by another character. Condrey explains that this is, in part, about moving away from the idea of a single super soldier, solving war problems on his own. “Part of being this squad and working together was about helping each other out in a very different way than in previous games. This is [you] relying on your squad, and so that was a mechanic where you can rely on your squad members to help you, and in that case – when you’re low on ammo – your squad can share ammo.” That’s apparently “one of several mechanics” where your team can help. “Certain members of your squad have certain attributes that can help you, and if you are in proximity to one of your squad members, and you need their help you can... it’s an active ability

Not all of your squad are going to see home again according to Condrey who, with a laugh, tells me: “Yeah – there’s possibilities of important members of your squad dying…” The question is, will that affect the support you get from them? “You can be separated from guys with key abilities that would change how you play – if you’re not with the ammo guy then you have less ability to replenish your ammo.” It’s unclear what line is drawn between scripted deaths and more emergent ends, however; COD, as always, wants you to feel it when key people die. “The human loss of your squad is an important emotional impact,” says Condrey, “and there’ll be times that you’re separated and you may lose people that are emotionally important to you, so all of those things can happen, yeah.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/call-of-d...-like-social-space-explained-by-the-creators/

LazyImpossibleAuklet.gif

From the reveal

MP??????

Still, I NEED maps to be old school and not 3 lane esports garbage. F that esports catering and focus on uber competitive funnel maps

And we still gotta know the perks. Dont want any sixth sense or lightweight dead silence marathon combos

There needs to not be infinite sprint as it affects map design

MP??????

Still, I NEED maps to be old school and not 3 lane esports garbage. F that esports catering and focus on uber competitive funnel maps

And we still gotta know the perks. Dont want any sixth sense or lightweight dead silence marathon combos

There needs to not be infinite sprint as it affects map design

Looks like single player on a console, only part of the game that has snap to target.

Aalvi

Not sure if I could go back after playing rainbow six with a squad at high level play.

Maybe if zombies is more like the older ones I'll probably check it out.

Color me interested. Sledgehammer did a good job with Advanced Warfare (save everything Supply Drop), so I'm hoping they do the same here.

This will be the CoD that I will buy day one! After IW i was about to give up on the franchise (the MP is horrible, not to mention the reward system and loot crates).
This seems like CoD in the right direction, day one!

If you think this game won't have loot crates you're crazy. That's the point of the social space : show off your loot on Omaha beach.

Between no regen health, increased diversity, and possible portrayal of concentration camps, there's some bold moves here. I've always preferred BF, but I might actually buy my first CoD game. Of course, this may pan out to be another formulaic, arcady game that doesn't actually portray the horrific nature of this war. But I missed the whole generation of WW2 games, aside from BF 1943, so I wouldn't mind playing one again.

Top Bottom