• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Canadian* Amiibo Discussion Thread: Discussion officielle Amiibo canadienne

DVCY201

Seems as if our best chance at restocks are if they're going to be used in future games. ie; Marth for Codename Steam.

That would also mean that restocks are unlikely for revisions. So Smash Mario, Peach, Luigi, etc. probably won't get restocked once the Super Mario line is out

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm actually surprised they're releasing the same Marth instead of a new version/pose to try to get people to double dip on him.

i-Jest

I got my dates hella confused. I should be heading out on the 4th for amiiibos and not Friday?

Rosie amiibo is kinda worthless without Luma

willl still buy tho

Friday is when Lucario is released. I believe someone said to check Future Shop ASAP for Shiek.

Anth0ny

I wonder if these things are going to be super rare forever.

As much as I hate the whole artificial demand gimmick that Nike has mastered with their sneaker releases, Nintendo seems to have adopted it with amiibo and is finding great success with it. Even though fans are pissed, these things are sold out in minutes.

I can see it now. Every phase has 2 common amiibo and 3 super rare amiibo. When the inevitable Pokemon amiibo starts, wave 1 will consist of:

Common:

Charmander
Pikachu

Rare:
Scyther
Gyarados (Best Buy Exclusive)
Arcanine (PetSmart Exclusive)

rinse and repeat. demand stays high all the time.

i-Jest

I'm actually surprised they're releasing the same Marth instead of a new version/pose to try to get people to double dip on him.

I was also a little surprised to see this. I suppose Nintendo believes people want Smash Bros Marth and not some new Marth Amiibo. It's understandable.

I wonder if these things are going to be super rare forever.

As much as I hate the whole artificial demand gimmick that Nike has mastered with their sneaker releases, Nintendo seems to have adopted it with amiibo and is finding great success with it. Even though fans are pissed, these things are sold out in minutes.

I can see it now. Every phase has 2 common amiibo and 3 super rare amiibo. When the inevitable Pokemon amiibo starts, wave 1 will consist of:

Common:

Charmander
Pikachu

Rare:
Scyther
Gyarados (Best Buy Exclusive)
Arcanine (PetSmart Exclusive)

rinse and repeat. demand stays high all the time.

A Pokemon Amiibo series would be unholy. You see how much trouble we have collecting Smash Amiibos? Smash Bros is a less popular series compared to Pokemon. Pokemon Amiibo would put families in a state of utter chaos. Future mainline Pokemon games having Amiibo support is a very likely possibility. They could very well unlock secret areas to catch Pokemon, get items, and battle trainers one couldn't normally do in game,

No doubt Nintendo's going to do this though.

ohlawd

I can see myself not getting any Pokemon amiibos. They'll probably focus on the Pokemon only. Would rather have Dawn or Serena or something >_>

Anth0ny

This could go bad quickly, especially if Nintendo does SDCC exclusive type amiibo. Like some sort of armored version of Mewtwo amiibo.

bh5p4Fb.gif

The fucked up thing? I go to comic con every year. That doesn't make getting your hands on comic con exclusives any easier. You have to be insanely dedicated to get a comic con exclusive, and a special amiibo would probably be the hottest item at the show.

They could very well unlock secret areas to catch Pokemon, get items, and battle trainers one couldn't normally do in game,

No doubt Nintendo's going to do this though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave you the Pokemon straight up. Scan the amiibo, and boom that Pokemon is now in your PC. With the way they just give away Pokemon nowadays via wifi or in Gamestop (usually shiny, legendary Pokemon at that), I can see it being straightforward like that.

8 year old me would have killed for a Pinsir amiibo so I can just get him in my game without having to actually catch him.

GtwoK

I'm beyond pissed at TRU. I was at the one in Kitchener today, I went at 3pm, left as soon as I heard about TRUs in Toronto getting stock of wave 3. Got there, and the tags were out, but no wave 3, so I asked someone. They told me they had gotten wave 3 in at 2pm and they had already sold out. So I left in a bad mood.

Just now I saw on Reddit that someone went in just before closing to the same TRU. They had just gotten a SECOND shipment today with all the rare wave 3s. What the FUCK.

I've been stalking that TRU hard multiple times a day, every day for the past week. Then the day they finally get shipments, and I miss them both? Fuckin unfair, man :(.

Anyway, any other gaffers gonna be at TRU Kitchener for Lucario on Friday? Would be nice to see some local ones of ya.

Sora_N

I'm beyond pissed at TRU. I was at the one in Kitchener today, I went at 3pm, left as soon as I heard about TRUs in Toronto getting stock of wave 3. Got there, and the tags were out, but no wave 3, so I asked someone. They told me they had gotten wave 3 in at 2pm and they had already sold out. So I left in a bad mood.

Just now I saw on Reddit that someone went in just before closing to the same TRU. They had just gotten a SECOND shipment today with all the rare wave 3s. What the FUCK.

I've been stalking that TRU hard multiple times a day, every day for the past week. Then the day they finally get shipments, and I miss them both? Fuckin unfair, man :(.

Anyway, any other gaffers gonna be at TRU Kitchener for Lucario on Friday? Would be nice to see some local ones of ya.

TRU gonna TRU, that's all I can say.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
bh5p4Fb.gif

The fucked up thing? I go to comic con every year. That doesn't make getting your hands on comic con exclusives any easier. You have to be insanely dedicated to get a comic con exclusive, and a special amiibo would probably be the hottest item at the show.

Oh I know, if you want to get a hasbro item you need to be in line a to get a ticket but a ticket does not guarantee said item. Also if you don't have the wrist band from the DC booth from the moment the hall opens you would be soooooo screwed for the rest of the day.

I say that as a joke but that would be the situation with nintendo but I imagine it would be soooooo much more complicated.

Rocky

Banned
I can see myself not getting any Pokemon amiibos. They'll probably focus on the Pokemon only. Would rather have Dawn or Serena or something >_>

Oh man, don't even tease. That would be awesome if they made amiibos of the anime characters. Misty, May, Dawn, Serena, etc. They could do something like scanning them into a N3DS Pokemon game, gives you a choice of starter from their respective gen.

Some Guy

I was in that Toys R Us today at noon, and all they had of the new wave was Bowser. Guess I picked the wrong day to randomly go to the mall!

Kilvin

I think it would be a challenge for Nintendo to do a Pokemon line, there are just too many.

Actually, if they wanted to represent all 755 I think the best way would be in the card or token format.

CRA5H

I can see Nintendo releasing a Pokemon line, maybe with the next 3DS Pokemon Game. I don't think they need a Pokemon Wii U release to support the fact since the 3DS has such a huge install base and Pokemon is such popular and one of their best selling IPs.

When they do release them..

Game-Over-Man-Game-Over.jpg

It'd require a new mold though. And as sought after as he is, it wouldn't be worth the investment. They can release the exact same figure and meet demand without any additional costs.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
Looks like Rosalina will get a restock for Mario Party, then:

cybRptV.jpg

don't worry kids, you can all get your elsa toy soon enough

Hopefully it has the same level of detail, I'll miss the little Luma buddy. I hope Wario has one of these too, I mean I love the whole Wario Ware look but...dose stubs.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
I think it would be a challenge for Nintendo to do a Pokemon line, there are just too many.

Actually, if they wanted to represent all 755 I think the best way would be in the card or token format.

Why don't the cards just have a scanner like they used to with the eReader, then we could finally get a variant of the trading card game on Wii U/3DS

Banned
So last night I trafelled to all Amiibo selling locations. My friend at EB said the only store in my area that got Rosalina was ToysrUS Sherway and they had 4. Four units. Four fucking units of rosalina in south Etobicoke. EB hasn't received shipment yet. Future shops website said the queensway location had Sonic in stock. Nope. Fuck it. I ended buying Luigi, Diddy, Peach, Zelda and Pikachu. All I'm missing are the limited run amiibos and bowser.

Zing

Banned
Thank goodness I wasn't planning to try for the full set. I had calculated the cost at around $800 retail. Having to pay online scalper prices for many figures would just make it even more absurd.

Skylanders was actually fun. There were just enough that people who were in touch on forums and checked retail could get every figure, but they would go out of stock by the end of the day. I think the difference is that there weren't preorders sucking up all the retail supply.

Banned
NoA ranks Canada lower then scum on their list of concerns.

If there is ever Pokemon Amiibo, Scizor better be one of them.

Went to Toys R Us yesterday after work, it was already picked clean, only found 4 Toon Link, bought one for myself in case the WalMart Preorder doesnt go through.

At least they had a sign saying that Wave 3 was only 1 per family.

CRA5H

Went to Toys R Us yesterday after work, it was already picked clean, only found 4 Toon Link, bought one for myself in case the WalMart Preorder doesnt go through.

At least they had a sign saying that Wave 3 was only 1 per family.
Which Toys R Us was this? I was planning on stopping by at opening but I'm at work and don't want to waste my time.

I'm in the KW area cuz I go to school here, but not getting any amiibos lol. You guys are really thirsty for these things huh

Damn I must have missed them all too, all they had was toon link, I was there at around 6 pm, they must have brought them out later. Fuck.

Wow, saw the new thread and decided to catch up on the other one to see the fallout. Wish I hadn't, honestly. But this thread is great.

So, I take it Friday is the official day to start the hunt at FS/BB? Might stop by there at lunch that day before hitting the gym. I'm also gonna wait for the N3DS demo at the local BB there. Did anybody else go to one of those events? Was it pretty packed?

Top Bottom