• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom does a Sega: less support for the Wii 'cause RE:DSC sold 16k

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

For an industry so reliant on public relations, these people sure do suck at it. The day after Nintendo comes out and says they will be providing a whole bunch of release support for Monster Hunter 3, this guy comes out and says this.

I expect he's got a call from Nintendo by now.

I mean, even if you're going to do this, don't come out and say it.

I CAN'T HANDLE HOW DUMB THIS INDUSTRY IS

Hero

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop is one of the worst ports of a video game ever. People at Capcom really must be fucking stupid if they honestly expected this to sell well before they shipped it. It's no where near the 360 version of Dead Rising.

Dead Space Extraction? Really? Wii owners never got the original game for this new IP and they expect Wii owners to buy a spin off game thats an on-rails shooter. Even if it did sell well Dead Space 2 is going to PS3 and 360.

Madworld was alright but it's black/white is very polarizing and wouldn't even fly on the HD systems.

You reap what you sow, third parties. Cry me a river.

Vgamer

legend166 said:
For an industry so reliant on public relations, these people sure do suck at it. The day after Nintendo comes out and says they will be providing a whole bunch of release support for Monster Hunter 3, this guy comes out and says this.

I expect he's got a call from Nintendo by now.

I mean, even if you're going to do this, don't come out and say it.

I CAN'T HANDLE HOW DUMB THIS INDUSTRY IS

Not to mention it cant look good to investors that the day Nintendo announces record breaking sales for the Wii Capcom announces to the world they are cutting support.

markatisu

leroy hacker said:
The $20 price tag and bundled peripheral surely helped.

SEGA already stated that Overkill had great sales once it hit the $29 price point, but yet developers/publishers continue to push $49 light gun games and this ends up being a side effect imho

HoTD 2/3 Returns, Ghost Squad, Links Awakening , NERF ---> All sold excellent at $19-30

HoTD Overkill sells great once it hits $19-29

REDSC and DSE tank at $49

Wow its amazing that could have happened, there was like no sign at all...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jufonuk said:
edit: (tongue in cheek) capcom france go the typical french route and surrender at the slightest bit of trouble

Too easy. :lol

I didn't buy Darkside because a) UC was short. b) I don't really give a shit about Code Veronica (in fact, I despise it among the "classic series") so 2 being only half the game made me wait until it's $20 and c) Graphics make me want a "REmake" of 2-3 (hell, toss in 1 as well) in these graphics. Shit, even if it's SD/Wii graphics the graphics from UC was pretty damn good and makes me dream of a Biohazard 3 remake in those graphics. >_>

Tatsu vs Capco is the only Wii game (besides Trauma Team and Metroid) that I'm half-interested in this year for Wii. So Capcom gets some cash off that.

yurinka

clashfan said:
How about boycotting Capcom games on the wii as protest?
Why, because they published some of the best Wii hardcore games, try to publish more and French users doesn't want to buy them?
It's pretty stupid. What do you want? No hardcore games in Wii?

markatisu said:
SEGA already stated that Overkill had great sales once it hit the $29 price point, but yet developers/publishers continue to push $49 light gun games and this ends up being a side effect imho

HoTD 2/3 Returns, Ghost Squad, Links Awakening , NERF ---> All sold excellent at $19-30

I think RE: DSC and DSE will probably pick up once they hit those prices.

capcom's doing the right thing. the wii is a different market entirely, these days. hardcore games still sell in rough proportion as to what they have in the past, split across the 360/ps3 fanbases. the blue ocean doesn't buy these games, so better to ignore them and focus on their core strengths as a company -- after all, it's not an opportunity if your corporate culture and engineering processes aren't built to service a different market.

if you wanna make a successful wii game, focus on novelty, mini-games, and family gaming themes -- especially popular ones -- and put a high level of marketing and polish on it. the blue ocean set need YOU to grab their attention. ma and pa won't seek yer shit out if you don't sell it in the venues they favor, like family circle and daytime teevee. ignore the core gaming market altogether, get out of gamestop, and blitz blitz blitz the wal-mart set.

Sadist

Darkside Chronicles is certainly not shitty. It's cool, graphical leap over UC.

Thing is (again) I like railshooters but I belong to a small group. To bad that GAF thinks there are actually tons of people waiting for the next railshooter. Yeah... no.

GDGF

Soothsayer
schuelma said:
This whole discussion is stupid and pointless because THIRD PARTIES WERE NEVER GOING TO GIVE THE WII THEIR BEST EFFORTS. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Sad but true. The console space is fucked up by fanboy politics and inferiority complexes on an executive level. Bummer, but what can you do?

(totally going DS2 only whenever it arrives)

jts

...hate me...
Capcom is really dropping the ball this gen, only saved by the grace of a good looking HD engine and 8 bit remakes.

Soooo shitty otherwise.

markatisu said:

Pretty much this. $50 is to much for a on-rails lightgun game. I'll pick this up at $20 just like I did with Ghost Squad and UC.

The only interesting thing about these comments (for me, anyway) is the drop-off from Umbrella Chronicles to Darkside Chronicles.

It's obvious that in late 2007 there was an audience for this exact type of game, so what happened in the two years since? I'd argue that lack of consistent releases for that audience from third parties - and from Nintendo - through 2008, together with accelerating support for the HD Trio, drove them away, and it would take a monumental effort (a series of big, desirable exclusives backed by decent advertising) to get them back.

I do think that DSC would have seen a marked decline anyway, as I think many buyers were burnt by the quality of the original game and would have steered clear of the sequel, but I think it may have been a less dramatic drop-off if there had been a more satisfied core audience.

gabe90

I'm sure everyone has said the same here but I find it ridiculous that both Sega and Capcom have made such comments. People are in fact tried of on rails shooters and tired of old ports. (Chop till you drop? Really?) but I have been waiting for 3 years for the opportunity to buy a real AAA Wii game outside of nintendo made games.

They know this, of course, but they don't have any data to support the notion that it's true and therefore can't act on it because being wrong means their job. The Wii is a mystery to these decisionmakers and they are just trying to manage risk. It's kinda sad to watch.

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:
The only interesting thing about these comments (for me, anyway) is the drop-off from Umbrella Chronicles to Darkside Chronicles.

It's obvious that in late 2007 there was an audience for this exact type of game, so what happened in the two years since? I'd argue that lack of consistent releases for that audience from third parties - and from Nintendo - through 2008, together with accelerating support for the HD Trio, drove them away, and it would take a monumental effort (a series of big, desirable exclusives backed by decent advertising) to get them back.

I do think that DSC would have seen a marked decline anyway, as I think many buyers were burnt by the quality of the original game and would have steered clear of the sequel, but I think it may have been a less dramatic drop-off if there had been a more satisfied core audience.

Probably does not help that REUC was riding off A)the success of RE4 Wii and the hope that more RE would follow not just light gun adventures and B)the resurgence of light guns as a viable genre

Fast Foward 2 years and you have a lot more light gun games (2 straight years of NERF, like 4 years of Cabella, and even shitty ones on WiiWare like MadDog) and painfully clear response from Capcom action that no new RE is coming in any redeemable way

GDGF

Soothsayer
Cosmonaut X said:

It's obvious that in late 2007 there was an audience for this exact type of game, so what happened in the two years since?

Who really needs two Resident Evil light gun games? They should have diversified.

gabe90 said:
I'm sure everyone has said the same here but I find it ridiculous that both Sega and Capcom have made such comments. People are in fact tried of on rails shooters and tired of old ports. (Chop till you drop? Really?) but I have been waiting for 3 years for the opportunity to buy a real AAA Wii game outside of nintendo made games.

They know this, of course, but they don't have any data to support the notion that it's true and therefore can't act on it because being wrong means their job. The Wii is a mystery to these decisionmakers and they are just trying to manage risk. It's kinda sad to watch.

There ya go.

devilhawk

EternalGamer said:
It's funny to hear people continue to try to come up with excuses as to why these games don't sell well on the Wii:

1) It' a spin off

2) It's a niche title

3) It didn't get the proper marketing

And many more. The fact is, all three of those types of games do FINE on the 360 and PS3.
If you are going to spew this with such certainty, I think you are compelled to give us examples.

I can't really say that i'm shocked by the lack of sales of DSC. Let's say an average wii gamer picks up RE4 for Wii. They game is quite impressive, and many of the previous buyers might keep an eye out for a sequel. The next RE game Capcom releases for Wii is RE:UC, which is a very different kind of game. I loved it, but i can see why some people might get disappointed if they expected something like RE4. The next thing Capcom does is to release ports of Zero and REmake for Wii. New fans that begun their RE experience on Wii might walk away with a sour taste in their mouths if they purchased one of those, and as a result they will be pretty reluctant to pick up any new RE games for wii. Capcom kinda scared the Wii fanbase away by releasing games with completely different gameplay.

Vdragoon

grampasimpsonchristmas.jpg

Cherry picking quotes without quoting all the bitching does not make you look smart. And people who like the game are not the same people who dislike it.

goldenpp72 said:
It's clear capcom has given more support for the HD platforms, and consider their insane success that would be wise to continue, I doubt anyone here thinks a resident evil 5 on wii would outsell resident evil 5 on 360/ps3, and in capcoms case, they probably have to look at their in house teams and determine what's best for them, and so far, capcom has output many successful games.
You also have to look at the cost side though. How many resources did RE5 tie down in the 4 or so years it was in development? It may be the best selling RE game to date, but given the length of time it took to develop they could have had several main-ish RE or other games on the Wii. EDIT: Not saying they would sell better or even make more of a profit, just that it's not a straight 1 to 1 comparison between putting a game on the Wii vs the PS360.

To be fair to Capcom they do seem to be one of the few larger non-Nintendo developers who've managed to find success this generation. Though given their recent slide that may have been luck, we'll see.

ShockingAlberto said:
And these are the same people who insist lightgun games are dumb and awful now?

Those hypocrites!
Well keeping it to the same commenter, I hated DSE from the moment they said it was on-rails (I stayed away from the RE: DSC thread).

Bending_Unit_22 said:
I'm sure it's been said hundreds of times already, but on rails? There goes my interest. I knew EA would screw this up, but at least they didn't do so like Capcom with DR:CTYD. It does look they're putting effort into it but I seriously can't' see this selling given the glut of on rails shooters on the Wii. I was looking forward to another RE4:WE-esque game, oh well.

Drinky Crow said:
capcom's doing the right thing. the wii is a different market entirely, these days. hardcore games still sell in rough proportion as to what they have in the past, split across the 360/ps3 fanbases. the blue ocean doesn't buy these games, so better to ignore them and focus on their core strengths as a company -- after all, it's not an opportunity if your corporate culture and engineering processes aren't built to service a different market.

if you wanna make a successful wii game, focus on novelty, mini-games, and family gaming themes -- especially popular ones -- and put a high level of marketing and polish on it. the blue ocean set need YOU to grab their attention. ma and pa won't seek yer shit out if you don't sell it in the venues they favor, like family circle and daytime teevee. ignore the core gaming market altogether, get out of gamestop, and blitz blitz blitz the wal-mart set.
Dunno if i should take your post seriously, but i agree with it either way.
The Wii sells family friendly, Nintendo software - that's what people are talking about, that's what is being marketed, and that's what pretty much all of those 3 million+ sales this December were down to.

[Nintex]

DMeisterJ said:
So... How about Capcom getting around to announcing MHP3 since they'll be supporting the Wii less, eh?

:p
To be published by Nintendo no less

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Though to be fair to Capcom they seem to be one of the few larger non-Nintendo developers who've managed to find success this generation. Though given their recent slide that may have been luck, we'll see.
I think it was pretty stupid of Jun and Inafune to take the reigns from Kamiya and Mikami.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ziran said:
Yes.

Obviously when you orchestrate the entire exam so those attending fail, you are loading the dice, but hey, bullshit is bullshit ;-)

When Capcom ported RE4 and it sold like 1.5m+ and they were all fingers and thumbs, putting the only real effort on Wii in MH3 for Japan (where PS3 was dead and there would be an easy port to PSP) I realised if I wanted Capcom stuff to go HD. Not that this has been happy sauce, it hasn't, woefully overrated = most of their releases imo, but hey, the SF re-skinning is awesome!!
largely agree with the way you put it. except maybe that capcom did have one geniune effort on the wii, not a big deal, mind you - zack & wiki, but a genuine one nevertheless. maybe exactly because it was not viewed as a big thing, it got zero advertising in the west (where one could argue the establushed userbased of the genre was) and did nothing there. i don't know whether they managed to break even on it, maybe world-wide they did, but even if they did not, had they any business sense (yes, a rhetorical clause) they'd try to establish it into a series. instead, they buried that and jumped full force on the light-gun bandwagon, arguably drawing dubious conclusions from a re4 port. i mean, i'm a fan of the LG genre, and i've had more than enought of it on the wii this gen. naturally, i have zero interest in DSC.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bel Marduk said:
Just 200k? I see it doing way more than that.

In America when it comes to RPGs I always prefer to shoot low and be surprised. I'd love it to do 400,000-500,000. ^_^

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
schuelma said:
This whole discussion is stupid and pointless because THIRD PARTIES WERE NEVER GOING TO GIVE THE WII THEIR BEST EFFORTS. PERIOD. END OF STORY.
Somewhere, Goichi Suda is crying.

FHIZ

Thus why I think Nintendo went too hard for the "casual" market, and kept at it for too long. Lets be honest, the casual market was locked down by Nintendo the very first month the Wii came out, but they kept going and going paying more attention to the casual ventures rather than games.

They could completely abandon putting out all the crappy casual stuff and the Wii would STILL sell, because you don't need to try that hard to keep the casual market happy, because thats why they're CA-SU-AL!

Nintendo's priorities were very skewed, while they tapped into what they originally wanted they stayed focused on it too long and left third parties to fend for themselves.

You know what bothers me, that the DS took about three years for the third parties to figure out, what niche can be filled with the DS. But the DS was the only hand held on the market at that time. The PSP didn't really change how people develop games on the DS.

We have the Wii, three years later third parties are still trying to figuring out what sells on the system. To me the games that sell on wii are nintendo games, exercise games and mass market multiplatform games (CoD,Rock Band).

Maybe third party should just give up on using the motion controls for games and just build games for the old game cube controllers like Monster Hunter. But when u do that you throw away the only Plus nintendo has besides the huge market base.

Drinky Crow said:
capcom's doing the right thing. the wii is a different market entirely, these days.

I may regret this, but I think this is fair comment.

It didn't need to be this way - earlier and more substantial support for the "core" market from third parties, and to an extent from Nintendo, helped drive the DS early on and when it exploded everyone was ready to jump on and capitalise, and the audience for a whole range of software was there and willing to buy.

I think lack of third party support early on, or generally weak support (shoddy ports, rushed, cheap titles and horrible "party" cash-ins) poisoned the well for subsequent releases, so by the time third parties got around to pushing more impressive titles (though still relatively cheap, niche and unrefined, compared to the games on the HD Trio) the audience just wasn't there anymore.

If Nintendo are desperate for third-party support in "core" genres now, I think they need to look at cutting and running on the Wii - an early launch for a Wii successor, with a major outreach to third parties in terms of hardware support and publishing. Otherwise, they're going to have to muddle on through to 2011 or so basically on their own - a repeat of the GameCube, except with the remarkable distinction of being essentially the generation "winner" in all other respects.

yurinka

kayzai said:
Why are they not releasing light-gun games for the PS3 motion controller??? Sony is targeting causals with waggle too!!!
Give them some time. It's Capcom. They port everything. They already announced MC patch for RE5, give them some time and they will port both lightgun RE, Zack & Wiki and Tatsunoko.

kayzai said:
3rd parties have always hated Nintendo. Fuck em!!!
Being most likely the best 3rd party in both NGC and Wii means to hate Nintendo?

They don't hate Nintendo. They hate to release good games and don't sell a shit. So they switch to other markets where people buy their games. They continued supporting Nintendo even they had poor sales (happened in NGC and Wii).

Sadist

mysticstylez said:
Do people here really think that if Capcom did another traditional RE game, it would sell as good as RE4:Wii did?
Who knows.

Those 1.6 million sold copies and their buyers didn't dissapear. Or did they...?

*Pinches himself*

Nope still here.

Vgamer

Cosmonaut X said:
If Nintendo are desperate for third-party support in "core" genres now, I think they need to look at cutting and running on the Wii - an early launch for a Wii successor, with a major outreach to third parties in terms of hardware support and publishing. Otherwise, they're going to have to muddle on through to 2011 or so basically on their own - a repeat of the GameCube, except with the remarkable distinction of being essentially the generation "winner" in all other respects.

Why would Nintendo cut and run when the Wii is selling like crazy??

GDGF

Soothsayer
mysticstylez said:
Do people here really think that if Capcom did another traditional RE game, it would sell as good as RE4:Wii did?

It's probably too late for that now. If it would have come out a year and a half ago, then yeah.

mysticstylez said:

At this point, probably not. If they had done it in place of Umbrella Chronicles instead of deciding that Wii users wanted "easiness", or even if they had released it later during holiday 2008, I think it could have been huge and sold even better than RE:4 Wii.

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:
Otherwise, they're going to have to muddle on through to 2011 or so basically on their own - a repeat of the GameCube, except with the remarkable distinction of being essentially the generation "winner" in all other respects.

You act as if they have been doing otherwise since 2007 (or since the last days of the N64 to be specific)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mysticstylez said:
Nope. And obviously making a new one would cost a whole lot more too. Hence why Capcom hasn't made one yet.

Sadist said:
Who knows.

Those 1.6 million sold copies and their buyers didn't dissapear. Or did they...?

*Pinches himself*

Nope still here.
Of course they disappeared. There isn't millions of potential buyers just magically waiting there for a so-called "real" Resident Evil for the last 3 years. They've moved on or were always just one time buyers.

ivysaur12 said:
Like what? I love RE games, and I would happily double dip for RE5 if it came out for the Wii. Even better, I'd love an original RE5 sidestory in the same gameplay style. I'm not buying another shitty cavia lightgun shooter.

Overlord, Bayonetta, Valk. Chronicles, Trials HD, Braid, Civ. 4: Revolution, Ninja Gaiden 2, NG Sigma, I'd say are all pretty niche titles that sold decently. If decent = 5-10x as much as RE DSC on one console. Though NG2 was advertised pretty heavily on 360 at least.

grandjedi6 said:
Of course they disappeared. There isn't millions of potential buyers just magically waiting there for a so-called "real" Resident Evil for the last 3 years. They've moved on or were always just one time buyers.

True story, I actually purchased RE4 Wii as a Christmas present for a friend, along with a perfect shot. And she never opened either. :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A somewhat more powerful system and Nintendo could have a good chunk of 'core' and 'blue ocean'. It's kind of a shame.

The lack of the former has apparently been a deal breaker for the core market. I know it's been for me and virtually all of my gamer friends. It seems the total market is fractured into core (360+PS3+PC) and 'blue ocean'/family/casual (Wii).

Drinky Crow's right though - you can't expect Capcom to deviate from their core competencies (no pun intended) to pursue as much development on a console like Wii if their market isn't there, and their market is elsewhere.

Maybe new companies can emerge to thrive alongside Nintendo on Wii, on a platform that's to a large extent 'blue ocean'/casual/family consumers. Previously we usually had one system that had all audiences in the market covered, and thus attracted all kinds of developers, but Wii's not achieved the same coverage, and that's that really. It's achieved great coverage of the casual market at a much earlier stage than is normal for a console and coverage of an amount of genuinely 'new' audience, so companies that can serve that audience well should do well on that platform. But it's a misguided expectation, if one expects a lot of the existing companies to bend over backwards to 'change' for this market if it's not their market, and their own market on other platforms continues to provide them success.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Frencherman said:
I am really starting to wonder why Call of Duty sells on Wii then...
Because its an absurdly popular brand right now. And even then it pales in comparison to the HD versions.

Dammit Capcom. You guys have no right to complain. All you've given us are ports and on-rail shooters. At least Sega made an honest effort.

If 3rd parties want to complain, great, but they should at least have something worth mentioning or they just look like kids complaining they got a bad grade on a spelling test. Of course you're gonna get a bad grade if you spell "Apple" with a Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom