• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's ludicrous PSN DRM use is rearing its ugly head again in BCR2. Whoopee!

MoxManiac

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought this on PSN tonight. Will buy on 360 instead.

To be honest, i'm almost tempted to not buy it at all out of principle. I'm still pissed about Final Fight, they didn't have that warning about having to be online back then and I wouldn't have bought it had I known.

I still like Capcom for the most part, I think they do a lot of good things like listening to the community and quality control in their titles but every once in a while they do stupid anti-community bullshit like this DRM and removing videos from youtube (Oni/Evil Ryu and the MvC3 stuff)

notworksafe

DonMigs85 said:
I know some games say "This game can be used by users other than the original content owner" blah blah.
There are other ways to limit game sharing too. Games can be made so they can only be played by one PS3 at a time or by locking play to one PS3 every 24 hours.

Kafel

Banned
The Crimson Kid said:
This better not catch on in the PlayStation Store. Being able to play all of my downloaded games whether or not I am online has led me to buy more games on PSN lately than XBLA. Too many times I have found myself locked out of most of my games on XBLA just because the internet was down.

PSN's setup with this issue is vastly superior to XBLA and I want it to stay that way.

That's bullshit. You don't need to be connected to play XBLA games.

Volcynika

Yeah, I'll pass on this one. I'll wait for the extremely small chances that a PC version will actually be made. Then laugh at the DRM they'll use for it and pass there as well.

soldat7

wsippel said:
Is it? I could share audio CDs, or DVDs - basically anything. But that doesn't mean I'm allowed to do so. The default PSN license states that you buy stuff for my own, personal use. That's as clear as it gets.

Then why does Sony allow game sharing in the first place? Like I said, that's messed up. Sony is a closed platform; they have complete control and should disable game sharing if they and the publishers don't want people using it. Don't keep the feature enabled and cram the rules (saying you can actually never use said feature) in a bunch of legalese.

mescalineeyes said:
if you're going to have DRM this strict, you better back that up with 60fps at 1080p with 8xMSAA :>

Get a Bravia with 120-240hz and turn it on for 120-240 fps console gaming.

careksims

Wasn't going to buy this, but holy shit! I haven't bought a Capcom PSN game since Final Fight and I think it's going to stay that way.

MoFuzz

No_Style said:
Will there be a PC release? Will probably wait for that..
Dark Void Zero was inundated with a 5 install limit SecuROM scheme.

Just sayin'

ExtraKr1spy said:
Get a Bravia with 120-240hz and turn it on for 120-240 fps console gaming.
Not sure if serious

notworksafe

soldat7 said:
Then why does Sony allow game sharing in the first place? Like I said, that's messed up. Sony is a closed platform; they have complete control and should disable game sharing if they and the publishers don't want people using it. Don't keep the feature enabled and cram the rules (saying you can actually never use said feature) in a bunch of legalese.
There are multiple ways to disable a game from being shared on PSN, including allowing game companies to use their own DRM if they want.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
notworksafe said:
You do when you change HDDs or 360s and don't get the licenses transferred.

Which is the user's fault at that point for not transferring the licenses. Unless you switched X360s twice within a year for whatever reason.

notworksafe

Wario64 said:
Which is the user's fault at that point for not transferring the licenses. Unless you switched X360s twice within a year for whatever reason.
Oh I agree, just pointing out that there are cases where one couldn't play XBLA games without being connected.

Also I have had to switch 360s twice within a year because of faulty hardware, but that was before MS provided users a tool for license migration.

lawblob said:

:p messing with gaf.

120hz+ motionflow/smooth motion/etc is hated on by just about everyone on gaf but I love how movies look on it. My LCD is only 60hz but next one I get will be 120/240/whatever is next.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really don't like this BUT I'm online all the time. And this game isn't for me all the time. I'm loving it a lot but I never have to worry about this type of DRM affecting me. It sucks to a certain extent but at least there's some kind of DRM in place for this. Is it stupid, yes. I assume if you're even buying stuff on PSN then you must have internet consistently enough to be on while playing the game. I know things happen and we may lose internet from time to time but again, you may play this for a run and then put it down for a while anyways.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Did having this kind of DRM seriously affect Final Fights sales on PSN? I would have thought it did, so I don't really understand why Capcom are using it again.

notworksafe said:
You do when you change HDDs or 360s and don't get the licenses transferred.

Changing the HDD shouldn't require any kind of license transfer or at least it didn't on the original Xbox 360 when I did it a couple of times.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm happy companies like capcom are doing their best to get me to save my money. It's very selfless of them.

Why For?

Banned
Not sure why they'd do this.

Like I know why they'll CLAIM they're doing this, but why are they really doing it?

I mean, who does it benefit? Capcom loses sales, and people who do buy it are being potentially screwed.

I mean, what happens if I move into my new house next month (which I actually am) and I don't have internet for a month or so?

It's just a case of 'oh well'. Fuck that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sony shouldn't allow this garbage. They already give the publisher the option of not allowing gamesharing, well sort of. The game gets locked for 24 hours if one console boots it.

Dambrosi

Banned
Is the game coming out on Steam at all? If so, just buy that one.

But Capcom can fuck right off with this DRM bullshit. I fell for Final Fight, and I won't fall for it again. Fool me once...

Foffy

Banned
Why For? said:
I mean, what happens if I move into my new house next month (which I actually am) and I don't have internet for a month or so?

Games that do that make me worry, outside of the eventual abandonment of a platform that prevents the game from being played on it any longer.

I hope people think with their wallets and nip this shit before we get more of it.

vocab

Nabs said:
Don't you guys just love DRM =\

Half Life 2: Episode 3 comes with Steamworks, GWFL, TAGES, Securom, Starforce, Ubisoft drm, EA periodic check DRM. With a 1 time activation!

anyway, the $15 price point was too high for me, and now this really makes it a no buy. Something about that mustache really makes this whole thing seem right.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
vocab said:
Half Life 2: Episode 3 comes with Steamworks, GWFL, TAGES, Securom, Starforce, Ubisoft drm, EA periodic check DRM. With a 1 time activation!
So it is going to have Master Chef, Sam Fisher, Altair, and John Madden! Amazing!

This post has made me realize I for some reason can't name an "EA" Character. I can name a BioWare character like Shepard, and the Sims, but no actual character I would define as an EA character.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mrbob said:
When will these companies learn screwing customers with lame DRM never works?

Bomb away now, BCR2. You don't deserve any sales.
I disagree. I really don't think this decision was made by the actual team which designed this game. Those guys have seen enough failures and this is one of their last chances, I'd imagine. BCR was fantastic and this type of game deserves support even in the face of shitty DRM.

I really wanted to buy it, but not now. Just based on principle alone. I've bought many Capcom titles over the years, but I will not support this. I'm online most of the time, but still.

notworksafe

dark10x said:
I disagree. I really don't think this decision was made by the actual team which designed this game. Those guys have seen enough failures and this is one of their last chances, I'd imagine. BCR was fantastic and this type of game deserves support even in the face of shitty DRM.
Fatshark? Have they made anything other than this and Lead & Gold (which did quite well from my understanding)?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
notworksafe said:
Fatshark? Have they made anything other than this and Lead & Gold (which did quite well from my understanding)?
It's all ex-Grin employees, though, and they all came off of quite a few failures.

notworksafe

dark10x said:
It's all ex-Grin employees, though, and they all came off of quite a few failures.
It was my understanding that the studio only took a few of the lead dudes from GRIN.

EDIT: ^ What Volc said.

i tried to like capcom this gen like every other, but it isn't feasible anymore. they succeeded in being as shitty as namco this gen now with forced online and downloadable characters in fighting games.

now they arrived at the bottom of the barrel, congratulations!

snorggy

i hate DRM that requires me to jump through hoops as much as the next guy, but asking you to keep yourself logged into psn while you play the game isn't asking a whole lot...

Volcynika

snorggy said:
i hate DRM that requires me to jump through hoops as much as the next guy, but asking you to keep yourself logged into psn while you play the game isn't asking a whole lot...

It's also not asking a whole lot to play the game when I feel like it, even when PSN maintenance is going on. Or the ability to play online, rather than restricted to local co-op.

Foffy

Banned
snorggy said:

What happens when Sony ends PSN support for PS3 and you don't have a PS4? You can no longer play the game anymore.

Think long term, mah boi. This doesn't seem like something major for someone casually playing the game, but for those with questionable connections and those who want to continue playing the game on that platform without worry, supporting this version is a bad move.

All you guys buying Final Fight are responsible, that was a test back then!

So I guess you can also only play this one with the account which bought it?

Nabs

SolidusDave said:
All you guys buying Final Fight are responsible, that was a test back then!

So I guess you can also only play this one with the account which bought it?

Didn't final fight use GGPO? I'm sorry guys, but I'd take Ubisoft-like DRM for that kind of netcode.

Top Bottom