• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's ludicrous PSN DRM use is rearing its ugly head again in BCR2. Whoopee!

Let's be honest though, who now in 2011 doesn't have a 24/7 internet connection?
I don't understand why people are raging besides veiling their gamesharing intent with "legit" reasoning that's not entirely practical.

I understand not being able to use it on multiple consoles in your house for example, but are you really playing the game between two consoles multiple times within 24 hours?

fantastico

Was going to get Final Fight on PSN but then read about this online so bought Capcom Classics Collection from a used store instead. I get Final Fight and Capcom get nothing purely because of this decision.

Volcynika

jetsetfluken said:
Let's be honest though, who now in 2011 doesn't have a 24/7 internet connection?
I don't understand why people are raging besides veiling their gamesharing intent with "legit" reasoning that's not entirely practical.

I understand not being able to use it on multiple consoles in your house for example, but are you really playing the game between two consoles multiple times within 24 hours?

I pointed out an example earlier. And there are multiple examples of people with unstable or no connections. Don't sit there and assume that everyone meets the criteria you do.

EDIT: It was in the OT for it, not this one, my bad.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I don't understand why the 24-hour account lock isn't a viable solution alone? Do people share a game and then take turns playing it - is that a thing?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
levious said:
wait, that's a good point, is this actually nothing new and it's just the 24 hour lock out from Warhawk and I think Socom?
And GT5 Prologue. Probably the same thing, yeah.

IPoopStandingUp said:
I don't understand why the 24-hour account lock isn't a viable solution alone? Do people share a game and then take turns playing it - is that a thing?
As I mentioned before, 24h lockout requires the game to connect online upon launch. How else is it going to work?

Argyle

dark10x said:
Do we actually have confirmation that the game will stop playing if you lose your connection, though?

Well, as it turns out it's a moot point for me, my PS3 can't get an IP address on this network for some reason...:p

Hopefully it's the same way that Final Fight was implemented, as awful as that was. I actually have two PS3s in my house so the 24hr lockout is annoying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wario64 said:
If it's like Final Fight, the DRM only checks your online connection upon launching the game. Losing your connection mid game shouldn't interrupt your game
Then I don't see what the issue is. Most people are bitching about their unreliable connections, but if it only checks once, it's not a big deal.

This is nothing like Ubi's DRM.

notworksafe

jetsetfluken said:
I think the DRM is stupid but it's Capcom's right to do whatever they want....but let's not pretend like game sharing isn't condoned by Sony, and therefore pretty "legit".

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
dark10x said:
Then I don't see what the issue is. Most people are bitching about their unreliable connections, but if it only checks once, it's not a big deal.

This is nothing like Ubi's DRM.

Ubi's DRM was recently patched to do the exact same thing.

notworksafe said:
I think the DRM is stupid but it's Capcom's right to do whatever they want....but let's not pretend like game sharing isn't condoned by Sony, and therefore pretty "legit".

Just because it is still able to be done, doesn't mean it's condoned. We can't know exactly what Sony's current stance in 2011 is on gamesharing, but from taking bits and pieces from the updated Terms of Service, never being flaunted anymore as a "feature", we can assume they are not "condoning" it anymore. Many publishers and developers have been getting quite vocally pessimistic about it and of course sales in question very well does influence SCE. The 2006 (or 2005?) Tretton quote has more or less been proven null at this point. I don't expect gamesharing to be possible by PS4, we may be only seeing it still because it's just how the the PS3 handles accounts/users/activations per-console and that is hard-coded in a way firmware updates cannot "update" or configure.
For one thing, I just hope we are always allowed to play different-region games under different region PSN accounts.

notworksafe

jetsetfluken said:
Just because it is still able to be done, doesn't mean it's condoned. We can't know exactly what Sony's current stance in 2011 is on gamesharing, but from taking bits and pieces from the updated Terms of Service, never being flaunted anymore as a "feature", we can assume they are not "condoning" it anymore. Many publishers and developers have been getting quite vocally pessimistic about it and of course sales in question very well does influence SCE. The 2006 (or 2005?) Tretton quote has more or less been proven null at this point. I don't expect gamesharing to be possible by PS4, we may be only seeing it still because it's just how the the PS3 handles accounts/users/activations per-console and that is hard-coded in a way firmware updates cannot "update" or configure.
For one thing, I just hope we are always allowed to play different-region games under different region PSN accounts.
Except it's still allowed even though Sony gives the option to publishers to not allow it, or use DRM similar to the one Capcom is using, or use a DRM similar to Warhawk (only one account at a time can play), or to use their (publishers) own DRM.

So...yeah. Still condoned. Still a feature. Pubs have many options to not allow it but only a few are taking it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
More like Bionic Commando: Reamed, am I right?

Seriously, though, I'll probably wait for a 360 sale. I was ready to jump in until I heard about the DRM stuff. I don't have a great connection all the time.

notworksafe said:
Except it's still allowed even though Sony gives the option to publishers to not allow it, or use DRM similar to the one Capcom is using, or use a DRM similar to Warhawk (only one account at a time can play), or to use their (publishers) own DRM.

So...yeah. Still condoned. Still a feature. Pubs have many options to not allow it but only a few are taking it.

Sony gives the option for a lot of things...custom soundtrack, in-game screenshot-to-HDD, in-game video recording-to-HDD/Youtube, custom status messages (as seen by your Friends List), etc. But only a small percentage of developers make use of these features, either because they don't want to do extra work or don't have knowledge of them or how to get them working, custom DRM especially. Many devs/pubs are complaining but then not applying it not because they don't care about the lost sales and gamesharing, but because one of the previously mentioned reasons.

notworksafe

jetsetfluken said:
Many devs/pubs are complaining but then not applying it not because they don't care about the lost sales and gamesharing, but because one of the previously mentioned reasons.
(citation needed)

5 users with a purchase was a tad too much, but convene with me that
1) it really boosted psn sales
2) it REALLY gave players the possibility to trade downloadable game once they've finished 'em, and that's a serious plus, considering that most of those games last no more then 15 hours (TOPS, and i'm fairly generous..)

but capcom (and other company) just want more money, so
1) no game sharing
2) no game reselling (will be the next step for downloadable games, since they're already somewhat applying this policy to retail games..)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jetsetfluken said:
I don't have a 24/7 wireless connection for my PS3. Why do I have to hook up my wireless to play a non-online game? It's just stupid.

notworksafe

witchedwiz said:
but capcom (and other company) just want more money
Is this surprising? It's kinda the point of having a company in the first place.

IMO it is their option to put DRM, so I won't fault them for that. I got Final Fight even though it had DRM and had a good time (except in online co-op, which was just awful). I won't be getting this, but not for DRM reasons...just lack of interest reasons. When it goes on sale (on either 360 or PS3) I'll probably check it out if it's a decent price.

My family has a vacation cabin with no internet. I have been known to take a console there when staying for more than a week. Any publisher that wants to keep me from playing their single-player game at my vacation home obviously has contempt for me as a consumer.

This is the latest example of media companies trying to diminish the concept of 'ownership'. Fuck them.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
witchedwiz said:
2) it REALLY gave players the possibility to trade downloadable game once they've finished 'em, and that's a serious plus, considering that most of those games last no more then 15 hours (TOPS, and i'm fairly generous..)

1) no game sharing
2) no game reselling (will be the next step for downloadable games, since they're already somewhat applying this policy to retail games..)
You're opening a can of worms here

Here's the bottom line.

Can Capcom rationalize how it's OK if XBLA buyers are allowed to play the game if their 'net connection is down while the PSN buyers are fucked in that scenario?

I'd really love to hear an answer from them.

goldenpp72

Beer Monkey said:
Here's the bottom line.

Can Capcom rationalize how it's OK if XBLA buyers are allowed to play the game if their 'net connection is down while the PSN buyers are fucked in that scenario?

I'd really love to hear an answer from them.

Because Microsoft doesn't allow game sharing and will ban your account? Am I missing something? They flip their shit if they find out your account impossibly moved from one state to another in order to gain an achievement, let alone sharing games.

snorggy

Beer Monkey said:
My family has a vacation cabin with no internet. I have been known to take a console there when staying for more than a week. Any publisher that wants to keep me from playing their single-player game at my vacation home obviously has contempt for me as a consumer.

This is the latest example of media companies trying to diminish the concept of 'ownership'. Fuck them.

i doubt it was a conscious decision to screw people that play games at their vacation homes that don't have internet... i imagine it's a bit tough to account for every single possible scenario when making decisions like this.

goldenpp72 said:
Because Microsoft doesn't allow game sharing and will ban your account? Am I missing something? They flip their shit if they find out your account impossibly moved from one state to another in order to gain an achievement, let alone sharing games.

Not all PSN games allow game sharing. Straw man.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Beer Monkey said:
Not all PSN games allow game sharing. Straw man.

The list of games that don't allow you isn't that big.

SOCOM
Warhawk
GT5 Prologue
Final Fight
Bionic Commando 2

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
witchedwiz said:

1) no game sharing

Do you have a shred of evidence for the claim in bold? Seems like in the absence of sales numbers it makes more sense to assume that it reduced sales, what with the whole 5-people-being-able-to-play-a-game-that-was-purchased-once thing.

jetsetfluken said:

I sometimes take my consoles to places that don't have a 24/7 internet connection. I'm sure there are plenty of people who play their consoles offline (i know some personally).

Don't just assume that everyone is in the same position as you.

I'm not going to buy DD games that have these sorts of restrictions. I resent them. A shame because I loved BCR, but there are plenty more games out there for me to get instead.

In this case I was already dubious about BCR2 anyway, since it costs USD$15 on the US PSN but USD$24 on the Aussie PSN (AUD$23.95). WTF.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I actually bought the XBLA version over the PSN version because of the DRM. Part of me wanted to not even buy the game because of the shitty DRM. If the internet connection flakes out on me and the game stops working I'd be so pissed. PS3 piracy isn't widespread enough from what I know to justify this type of crap.

jercruz

endlessflood said:
I'm not going to buy DD games that have these sorts of restrictions. I resent them. A shame because I loved BCR, but there are plenty more games out there for me to get instead.

In this case I was already dubious about BCR2 anyway, since it costs USD$15 on the US PSN but USD$24 on the Aussie PSN (AUD$23.95). WTF.
Aussie psn almost always 50% more than US.

TheYanger

How do people remotely think a 24 hour lockout is somehow enough to obliterate sharing? I don't do it so maybe I'm missing something, but for your average user, yes they absolutely would play through the game and then let a buddy 'borrow' it, and so forth. I would imagine plenty of game sharing happens in that way in fact, even if it doesn't have such a lockout (Yo, this game was awesome bro, go download mine).

How Capcom can be blamed for Sony's inadequacies is a bit silly. Microsoft got this issue about as right as it's going to get in terms of being fair to both the consumer and the publisher.

goldenpp72

TheYanger said:
How do people remotely think a 24 hour lockout is somehow enough to obliterate sharing? I don't do it so maybe I'm missing something, but for your average user, yes they absolutely would play through the game and then let a buddy 'borrow' it, and so forth. I would imagine plenty of game sharing happens in that way in fact, even if it doesn't have such a lockout (Yo, this game was awesome bro, go download mine).

How Capcom can be blamed for Sony's inadequacies is a bit silly. Microsoft got this issue about as right as it's going to get in terms of being fair to both the consumer and the publisher.

Pretty much, I don't know anything about game sharing on psn since I buy all my stuff, but the way MS handles it is best for the consumer and publisher balance wise, the way sony does it, is good for the consumer and bad for the publisher, and this kind of thing is going to lead to ultimately hurting the consumer worse.

You won't see this happen on xbla because there is no need, so unless I missed something and there is a 100 percent fool proof method to stop sharing entirely, I see nothing wrong with capcoms move here to protect their assets.

Icarus

Beelzeboss said:
This sounds terrible, mostly because I randomly get booted off PSN from time to time for no reason.

As long as you're on when you start the game, that's the only time it checks. An intermittent connection won't matter.

Hammer24 said:
German Media reports, that Sony is likely going to make this mandatory for the games to come, as their way to fight piracy.

No, the article just speculates that in the future more PS3(PSN) games might use this DRM.

However, the author of this article lumped two different things together (PSN/DRM and CFM/Piracy) so it's worthless anyway as this is not the reason why Capcom used this DRM in BCR2 and this online check also has nothing to do with possible online checks of 3.56

edit: another mistake: The article also says that Capcom removed this DRM from a earlier game after their customers complained.

Lothars

goldenpp72 said:
You won't see this happen on xbla because there is no need, so unless I missed something and there is a 100 percent fool proof method to stop sharing entirely, I see nothing wrong with capcoms move here to protect their assets.

I see everything wrong with this and all this does is hurt the devolper because they lose sales from people that would have otherwise bought the game, I refuse to buy this now with the DRM and I will not buy any game that has this DRM because it's backwards and just beyond useless.

I hope capcom changes from doing this.

-PXG-

tzare said:
if they do the same with SF3 3rd strike i will have to kill them XD
Don't give them any ideas. Sure it will have an online multiplayer component but there are a lot of people who play local and use training mode. Forcing them to be online is bullshit. Hell, tournies would be impossible unless they had net access at the venue. It would be a complete and utter nightmare.

snap0212

SolidusDave said:
No, the article just speculates that in the future more PS3(PSN) games might use this DRM.

However, the author of this article lumped two different things together (PSN/DRM and CFM/Piracy) so it's worthless anyway as this is not the reason why Capcom used this DRM in BCR2 and this online check also has nothing to do with possible online checks of 3.56

edit: another mistake: The article also says that Capcom removed this DRM from a earlier game after their customers complained.
It's heise. What did you expect? ;)

boon

I've been enjoying the game, but this is really disappointing. I like having the option of moving from one floor to the other, only having to copy my save to a USB stick. I wasn't able to enjoy Final Fight: Double Impact for the same reason. I'd play on one console, and move to the other only to find out that I'd have to wait a day to play.

Top Bottom