• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's ludicrous PSN DRM use is rearing its ugly head again in BCR2. Whoopee!

snorggy

Foffy said:
What happens when Sony ends PSN support for PS3 and you don't have a PS4? You can no longer play the game anymore.

There's a lot of speculation in your reasoning! Do we know Capcom won't issue a patch for all their DRM games if that ever happened? :)

I just think it's a bit silly to deprive yourself of a game based on a protection scheme that isn't very hard to accommodate.

Yes internet goes down psn goes down.. but both should be rare occurrences... otherwise you have bigger issues than a game having DRM.

Anyhoo just my opinion.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
I disagree. I really don't think this decision was made by the actual team which designed this game. Those guys have seen enough failures and this is one of their last chances, I'd imagine. BCR was fantastic and this type of game deserves support even in the face of shitty DRM.

The only way these companies will learn is if you don't buy their product. You buy this game you reaffirm Capcom's decision to do what they had done.

I've held this same stance with Ubi pc games. I refuse to get them with their always on required DRM. UBI is now finally changing their stance.

This sucks for the development team and you never want anyone to lose their jobs, but sometimes you have to take a stance against anti consumer behavior.

Truespeed

"Yes, there is DRM," the admin confirmed. "This was employed to combat the rampant 'PSN Sharing' that has been going on over the last year. We're sorry that your family cannot play the game on their individual accounts (same console). This is a limitation of the Sony network." The message goes on to say that Double Impact's DRM is a trial to "evaluate impact" of the PSN sign-in requirement, which seeks to limit access to the game to the PSN account that purchased the title.

Looks like the trial passed with flying colors. They must not like money because 5 people sharing your game is still greater than 5 people not buying your game.

Foffy

Banned
snorggy said:
There's a lot of speculation in your reasoning! Do we know Capcom won't issue a patch for all their DRM games if that ever happened? :)

I just think it's a bit silly to deprive yourself of a game based on a protection scheme that isn't very hard to accommodate.

Yes internet goes down psn goes down.. but both should be rare occurrences... otherwise you have bigger issues than a game having DRM.

Anyhoo just my opinion.

I'm depriving myself of this version, as I'm getting the XBLA version because of this. This is a dumb move because it doesn't really do nothing other than assume the consumer is going to hand the game over to his friends. I shouldn't need to be online to play anything unless it is an online mode to a game.

snorggy

Foffy said:
I'm depriving myself of this version, as I'm getting the XBLA version because of this. This is a dumb move because it doesn't really do nothing other than assume the consumer is going to hand the game over to his friends. I shouldn't need to be online to play anything unless it is an online mode to a game.

that's fair... i guess i kind of assumed that the average user is connected all the time and that may not necessarily be true.

Cels

I guess they didn't experience a drop in Final Fight sales so this is the policy going forward for their PSN releases.

GODDAMMIT

Replicant

Yeah, I know my -1 purchase is not going to make much of a difference but FUCK U CRAPCOM for doing this.

After the fiasco that was Final Fight: Double Impact, I'm not going to go through that again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dark10x said:
I disagree. I really don't think this decision was made by the actual team which designed this game. Those guys have seen enough failures and this is one of their last chances, I'd imagine. BCR was fantastic and this type of game deserves support even in the face of shitty DRM.

Choices:
1) Don't blame anyone, BOHICA

2) Blame publishers and developers together in such a way that hurts developers even if they don't deserve it.

*shrugs*

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
snorggy said:
that's fair... i guess i kind of assumed that the average user is connected all the time and that may not necessarily be true.

The average user is the complete opposite.

Kimosabae

Banned
This is new territory for me. When I saw the thread title, I immediately rethought my position on the game and chose to ignore it. But after thinking about it, reality dictates I have little idea how much this will truly inconvenience me in the future so... yeah, if this somehow ends up biting me in the ass, I'll likely stay away from DRM games.

Can't you not play some Steam games without an Internet connection? I vaguely remember getting that error once. I say vaguely because I don't live in a moving vehicle so my Internet connection being unavailable isn't typically a concern.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
butter_stick said:
Can't you not play some Steam games without an Internet connection? I vaguely remember getting that error once. I say vaguely because I don't live in a moving vehicle so my Internet connection being unavailable isn't typically a concern.

All games on Steam require a one time online authentication. Afterwards you can play in offline mode, barring games with Ubi's shittacular DRM.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nooooo!
I really wanted to play this one on my HT where the PS3's hooked up.
This really sucks, no buy then.

Lothars

Beer Monkey said:
Sony are assholes for allowing this. I'm sure if Microsoft allowed it Capcom would do the same for the XBLA version.

This lost a purchase from me, I will not be buying BCR2 even though I was planning to.

lupinko

kassatsu said:
it has the 24 hr lock if you gameshare too

Yeah, that by itself was enough, no buy Capcom.

Does anyone know if the JP version has the same drm?

Sometimes regional versions don't share the same drm, such as GT5P for example, the JP version didn't have the same DRM as the US version did.

I will NEVER buy a game that requires me to be online to play. Wasn't really interested in this game to begin with, but I might've picked it up on sale or something. Not anymore.

Yeah, I woulda bought this on PSN but now it ain't happening. I will hold out for a PC version, and if that's not coming I'll just wait for a sale on the XBLA version. I'd gladly pay $15 for this -- hell, I woulda paid full price for the original -- but I'd rather not deal with the screen tearing and inferior controls.

MightyKAC

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Capcom is a shitty SHITTY company and people only put up with them because they make good games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stumpokapow said:
Choices:
1) Don't blame anyone, BOHICA

2) Blame publishers and developers together in such a way that hurts developers even if they don't deserve it.

*shrugs*
Fair enough, I guess. I don't find this offensive or bothersome in the least.

That is, unless it works like the Ubi DRM where the game ceases to play when the net drops. Has anyone confirmed this to be the case?

It's a conflicting situation. I hate to support this kind of stuff, but at the same time, I DO want to support Fatshark and this game.

Really? OK, that's bullshit.

Wow, thanks for the heads up guys. I was planning on picking this up this afternoon to enjoy on my snow day, but Capcom has made it clear that they don't want my money.

Psy-Phi

MiniBossBattle said:
BCR2:
No online co-op...

Requires you to be online.
For leaderboards, clearly.

Just like AC2 on PC, I don't care. I'm online 24/7 anyway. Except for that 1 hour a month somewhere when I'm asleep that the service might be down.

Argyle

snorggy said:
i hate DRM that requires me to jump through hoops as much as the next guy, but asking you to keep yourself logged into psn while you play the game isn't asking a whole lot...

Yeah, I would have considered buying it today but right now I am on what can only be described as "shitty hotel internet" for the next few weeks (seriously, this is slow like I don't think I can even stream YouTube slow)...it would probably take me an hour or two to download the game, and after that I wouldn't count on my connection being solid enough to be able to play the game without frustration from being signed out at random and being kicked out of the game.

Koren

akachan ningen said:
wtf, most of them do. almost every game that comes out on psn can be shared.
Read the terms of use for PSN...

In fact, the only person (read PSN account) that can play it is the one who purchased it. In the latest ToU, even someone with simply a different account than the one that bought the game, on the PS3 where you bought the game, is IIRC not allowed to play the game now.

So your wife/husband/children and so on are technically forbidden to play the games you buy if they have a different account (now THAT's stupid... I can understand that game sharing is an "exploit" of the system, but that...)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Argyle said:
Yeah, I would have considered buying it today but right now I am on what can only be described as "shitty hotel internet" for the next few weeks (seriously, this is slow like I don't think I can even stream YouTube slow)...it would probably take me an hour or two to download the game, and after that I wouldn't count on my connection being solid enough to be able to play the game without frustration from being signed out at random and being kicked out of the game.
Do we actually have confirmation that the game will stop playing if you lose your connection, though?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dark10x said:
Do we actually have confirmation that the game will stop playing if you lose your connection, though?

If it's like Final Fight, the DRM only checks your online connection upon launching the game. Losing your connection mid game shouldn't interrupt your game

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
kassatsu said:
So then it really isn't sharable. Thanks for coming out and confirming that. I don't find a game sharable if it has the lock. I just make sure anyone who uses my account knows that.

And to have a 24hr lock on a 15 dollar game is a sham. Some bigger priced games don't do that.

I'm not against the finite details of the limitations, but I am against gamesharing. In a way, I see this as a (poor) way for the developer to combat gamesharing, which does cause considerable sales loss. The system is exploited and I hope it doesn't remain by next gen.

Dragon

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Suddenly microsofts system of tying the game to both the console and your account seems a lot smarter.

I don't really think either system is that great but I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

LiquidMetal14

goldenpp72 said:
Suddenly microsofts system of tying the game to both the console and your account seems a lot smarter.
I wouldn't go that far. We have 2 examples, both from Capcom, on how not to do it. The sharing is intact for everything except bigger and pricier games and retail releases. I'm not sure how many PSP games are not sharable either though.

LiquidMetal14

_dementia said:
I wonder if they do the same thing with SFIII3S:OE. If so, I'll definitely be getting the 360 version.
Don't jump the gun. 2 games from them have had this. SF2, MvC2, and the rest of their games aren't like this. I wouldn't expect it. Although the trend more recently throws that into question. I really don't care as I mostly want to buy everything that I know I want to play. And I know plenty of people who go in on games together and contribute to accounts so the locking of said feature is not a good decision on Capcoms part.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
corrosivefrost said:
Will wait on sale on 360 version then. Thanks for the heads up.

It amazes me that instead of using a method simliar to the "you can't use it on another device within 24 hours of using it on another" rule they implemented on things like the Uncharted 2 beta.
For the 24h lockout thing to work, the game still has to connect online when you launch it. How else is some other persons console going to know when someone else played it on your account?

This online check is the only way to prevent gamesharing. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

TreIII

MightyKAC said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Capcom is a shitty SHITTY company and people only put up with them because they made good games.

Fix'd.

If Capcom didn't have the near-Nintendo level of nostalgia factor at their command, Capcom likely wouldn't get away with HALF of the stuff they tried to do in the last few years alone.

A modern day company that came out a few years ago likely wouldn't have been able to do the kind of thing Capcom did with MM9 and MM10. That much should go without saying.

Volcynika

If anything, gamesharing this is still incredibly feasible if people know who they share with.

Amusingly enough, it probably would've hurt it more if they made the game online co-op, since people would want to play with friends, but obviously could not due to the lockout, so they'd buy their own copy.

Koren said:
In fact, the only person (read PSN account) that can play it is the one who purchased it. In the latest ToU, even someone with simply a different account than the one that bought the game, on the PS3 where you bought the game, is IIRC not allowed to play the game now.

I've had no problem playing the games I've purchased from my UK (Outrun) and Japanese (Gundam Musou 3 DLC, Gundam 0081 DLC, Malicious) accounts on my US account.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Volcynika said:
Amusingly enough, it probably would've hurt it more if they made the game online co-op, since people would want to play with friends, but obviously could not due to the lockout, so they'd buy their own copy.

what

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Lord Error said:
For the 24h lockout thing to work, the game still has to connect online when you launch it. How else is some other persons console going to know when someone else played it on your account?

This online check is the only way to prevent gamesharing. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

wait, that's a good point, is this actually nothing new and it's just the 24 hour lock out from Warhawk and I think Socom?

Volcynika

Wario64 said:

I meant in the sense of it 'hurting' game sharing. People would want to play with their friends, but due to the lockout, might be more inclined to buy their own copy. Granted, people still wouldn't buy it due to the DRM anyways.

MoxManiac

TreIII said:
Fix'd.

If Capcom didn't have the near-Nintendo level of nostalgia factor at their command, Capcom likely wouldn't get away with HALF of the stuff they tried to do in the last few years alone.

A modern day company that came out a few years ago likely wouldn't have been able to do the kind of thing Capcom did with MM9 and MM10. That much should go without saying.

What? MM9 and 10 are fantastic games. And the level of quality in their recent gen games is as good or better as everyone else. Capcom deserves to be demonized for this DRM bullshit, but it doesn't change the fact that they are one of the best, most consistent developers this gen.

Top Bottom