• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

Durante

If it's a Metroidvania, I'll have to buy a 3DS.

If it's not, I don't get a Metroidvania.

I don't know what to hope for.

LeleSocho

Banned
MercurySteam is a powerhouse, f anything I'm sure the graphics will blow us away.

There's the rumor around that it's a sequel to lords but a prequel to the Console sequel, and that it's a reimagining of CASTLEVANIA 3 and that means ALUCARD and TREVOR BELMONT (Possible protagonists)

You know they are different universe yes?

Ahasverus

I don't know about blow us away, it's still the 3DS after all. Even if Pokemon were to use 3DS graphics, I still wouldn't be blown away by it but I'd like it however.

For 3Ds :p
You know they are different universe yes?
That's according to an insider in Castlevaniadungeon forums (Who told us about this leak about.. 2 hours before the info appeared in this NL page)

It's not THE Alucard, nor THE Trevor Belmont, But Mercury's version of them.

That's, if it's true.

Been waiting for confirmation on a 3DS Castlevania forever.

I hope it's good, and yes I do hope it's an Igavania. That shit would look so good in 3D.

Well, this news is... huh.

I mean, I liked LoS for what it was, but I'm not sure I like having MercurySteam working on a 2D CV title :/

I just hope it will use Igavania/Metroidvania art and game design...
In fact, I just hope Mercury Steam only help on the game...

SYNTAX182

Cautiously optimistic. Order of Ecclesia was going in the right direction too. Great sprite work and set pieces. So sad for Iga.

Ahasverus

I doubt that, I'd be surprised if it got to 150k here and it'll tank in Japan.
I'm prettu sure people don't miss androgenous pretty boys and anime plots

And for your information, people, Dave Cox haven't only worked on LoS, he was in the CV team since Castlevania X68000 (or whatever) that is, BEFORE IGA, he was part of the SOTN team and the COTM team. He then was part of the localization team of all subsequent Cv titles until becoming main producer in Lords of Shadows.

Foffy

Banned
How did DS Castlevania sell in the US?

Progressively worse. It literally went Dawn of Sorrow -> Portrait of Ruin -> Order of Ecclesia in sales.

I think Order of Ecclesia never even sold 500,000...all of the DS games sold worse than Circle of the Moon, which I believe was the best selling Castlevania game of recent releases, until Lords of Shadow launched.

I'm prettu sure people don't miss androgenous pretty boys and anime plots

And for your information, people, Dave Cox haven't only worked on LoS, he was in the CV team since Castlevania X68000 (or whatever) that is, BEFORE IGA, he was part of the SOTN team and the COTM team. He then was part of the localization team of all subsequent Cv titles until becoming main producer in Lords of Shadows.

Cox was localization producer on Chronicles. Had had no hand in the X68000 release back in the early 1990's.

LeleSocho

Banned
I doubt that, I'd be surprised if it got to 150k here and it'll tank in Japan.

Yeah if we were talking about home consoles and with the name of Kojima (Hideo) still around to hype the crowd it surely would've sold well but portable stuff i totally see this bomb... or at least i hope it will.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah if we were talking about home consoles and with the name of Kojima (Hideo) still around to hype the crowd it surely would've sold well but portable stuff i totally see this bomb... or at least i hope it will.

Castlevania tanks in Japan period. Castlevania was one of the few franchises Konami was still making titles for because of the sales in the West. Castlevania games rarely, if ever, sold 100,000 in Japan in the last 10 years. Order of Ecclesia sold about 20,000 when it launched in Japan, and Lords of Shadow sold at about 17,000, IIRC.

Dascu

The game will be a Metroidvania, 2.5D. 3D graphics but side scrolling, so think Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Lords of Shadow canon/art direction, the combat will be similar to LoS.

There will be no leveling up, and the design of the game meshes stages with Metroidvania maps, so I guess something similar to Order of Ecclesia?

First he told me he believes the protag is Alucard, but now he thinks it could be Trevor Belmont when he had no textures put on him at the time. Whoever it is, the protag uses a whip. There will be a Belmont clan, he assures me Alucard is present, and Trevor is the father of Simon Belmont.

Were supposed to get a CG trailer of Dracula, and two announcements for two new games. 3DSVania which will be a prequel to LoS2 but a sequel to LoS1, and the console sequel.
This rumour was floating around very recently (like yesterday?). So, possibly accurate.

LeleSocho

Banned
Castlevania tanks in Japan period. Castlevania was one of the few franchises Konami was still making titles for because of the sales in the West. Castlevania games rarely, if ever, sold 100,000 in Japan in the last 10 years. Order of Ecclesia sold about 20,000 when it launched in Japan, and Lords of Shadow sold at about 17,000, IIRC.

In fact i was talking about worldwide sales... also yes fans will not be pleased if Kojima (Ayami) isn't involved in this.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The DS games still did well in the west. I doubt this will do any better than them, and I'd be shocked if it reached DoS.

You wouldn't be the only one. If I can't get back Hiroyuki Fukui and Toru Hagihara, the ones who were REALLY responsible for SOTN being the classic it was? Then I at least will rest assured knowing IGA's not doing anything more to drag their classic down.

SotN wasn't that great.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Based on the ending of Lords of Shadow, doesnt that make
'Alucard'.... Gabrielle Belmont? Like... the hero from LoS?

Well, crud. Now I have to buy this.

The first CV Iga worked on was Dracula X: Rondo of Blood in 1993. He also worked on SOTN and took over as producer on COTM after KCET absorbed KCEK.

The only credits I can find for Cox on any pre-LOS Castlevanias are for European product management (not production) and the earliest is Harmony if Dissonance (2002).

Kuramu

I bought GBA for CotM
I bought DS for DoS
Already have a 3DS, but eagerly await this. Hoping for something as good as AoS
Acronyms

Foffy

Banned
Based on the ending of Lords of Shadow, doesnt that make
'Alucard'.... Gabrielle Belmont? Like... the hero from LoS?

Well, crud. Now I have to buy this.

No, Gabriel is Dracula. The artwork in the game is labeled literally as 'Dracula', despite him saying he was Dracul. Granted, there's already enough wrong with the Belmont = Dracula concept, but we're not analyzing fanfiction this time!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The exsistence of the game is something I don't doubt, considering the source ( Nintex's site ). Hoping the other details are true ( Dascu, where are they from? )

MercurySteam is a powerhouse, f anything I'm sure the graphics will blow us away.

There's the rumor around that it's a sequel to lords but a prequel to the Console sequel, and that it's a reimagining of CASTLEVANIA 3 and that means ALUCARD and TREVOR BELMONT (Possible protagonists)

Wasn't this Iga's dream project? I remember him mentioning wanting to do a Castlevania 3 remake for years now.

Top Bottom