• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casual Madden PS4 league openings

Before you guys start getting excited for trades you might wanna wait for the league rules to be posted later today. Nothing major but I want people to know their options before you all go crazy.

Can I change my team? Broncos are my favorite team but I don't want to use them because I will make them look horrible.

If it's possible I'd like to switch to the Bears.

abrack08

Wait, why are we encouraging people who think they suck to be bad teams? That will just make you seem even worse, haha

hlhbk

Wait, why are we encouraging people who think they suck to be bad teams? That will just make you seem even worse, haha

Being a Raiders fan my entire life (I am 33) the last 12 years have taught me if you can win and play well against top rated teams with a terrible team in Madden you can hang with anyone. It's a good way to get better at playing the game.

Being a Raiders fan my entire life (I am 33) the last 12 years have taught me if you can win and play well against top rated teams with a terrible team in Madden you can hang with anyone. It's a good way to get better at playing the game.
I've learnt it isn't so much the team but how you use them. It's pretty easy to succeed with any team this madden if used right.

Ray665

Well the Jags sure hope so.....haha thats the plan.

Jarate

Banned
Are we doing fantasy draft or just sticking with current teams.

I think fantasy draft would be a lot better for balance purposes, but I ain't complaining cause I got the Packers.

Can I still get in on this? Already tired of playing online where everyone goes for it on 4th down inside their own twenty in the first quarter. It's ridiculous. Need a bit more structure.

I'll take the Ravens if they're still available on that list. If not, then the Colts. Thanks!

PSN name: CartridgeBlower.

Can I still get in on this? Already tired of playing online where everyone goes for it on 4th down inside their own twenty in the first quarter. It's ridiculous. Need a bit more structure.

I'll take the Ravens if they're still available on that list. If not, then the Colts. Thanks!

They are yours man... Enjoy.

The League Rules have been posted guys. Please take a look and feel free to provide any feedback if at all possible, especially if you dislike a rule in particular. I've made most of these rules with the purpose of keeping things easy for everyone to do and not have a whole lot of gameplay rules that force you to check this page to see if you're breaking any of them. I want everyone to have fun and please don't exploit anything and make things difficult for the rest of the league. Thanks guys.

Bacon

The rules look good to me for the most part but the trade rule seems a little too restricting IMO.

I think we should have the opportunity to do more than 2 trades per year because there will also be a trade committee in place that in theory should be making sure nothing ridiculous gets through. I think something like 4-5 trades is more reasonable.

Jarate

Banned
- Games will be played on All-Madden difficulty with 6 Minute Qtrs

Could we possibly make this All - Pro. I feel like All-Madden might be too cheap for some people like me who havent played a madden for a while, considering most people in this league admit to being bad. If we figure out All-Madden is better, we can switch it, but, not really a fan of that difficulty in madden games
- Don't run up the score on your opponents. If you're up by 21 or more points after the third PLEASE shy away from passing every down and play ball control/time management and milk the clock on offense. If you're in scoring range kick the field goal instead of scoring the TD. The only exception for scoring in these circumstances is off of a turnover (Interception / Fumble return)
- 4th down rule: If you are up by two touchdowns or more you are NOT ALLOWED to go for it on 4th down unless it's in a 4th and inches situation. Otherwise you must punt the ball. Please try and limit going for it on 4th to a max of 3 times per game unless you're the person losing in the 4th Qtr.
Why should we dictate how people play the game. 2 touchdowns or 21 points is not an insurmountable lead that is terrible for the opponent. If someone keeps going for it on 4th down, then he's putting himself at risk of turning the ball over. Also, running up the score is a part of football video games. This aint the real world where you have to worry about media reaction, players actively trying to play their best against you ETC. It's kind of a silly rule when looking at it, it reminds of me of playing peewee football. and hell, running up the score usually involves passing, which just might lead to a turnover or a stopped clock.

This aint peewee football, I don't think we need to care about hurting peoples feelings

- Playcalling in Madden is totally up to you. I would suggest mixing your playcalling up though because I'm sure if you milk a play too much you'll more then pay for it. If anyone in the league finds a play too OP record it with the "Share" button and forward it to me and I'll provide the league with numerous ways to shut it down. This will encourage people to balance their playcalling. Please try and keep the lobby style play for ranked matches guys.

I don't think ive ever played a madden where one play or strategy wasn't broken beyond belief. We should keep this to be a "sim" if you will, if we see anything egregious like someone abusing a play, then said person should be reprimanded. I think this year forces you to be balanced more then previous years, so it might not make a difference.

- To make sure things don't go overboard and teams get dismantled with ridiculous trades we will have a limit of 2 trades per season and 2 trades per offseason. This will keep teams in good shape should anyone leave the league and make the transition for the new owner easier. In the NFL pretty much every offseason is pretty slow in regards to roster movement and this forces people to draft well and sign the appropriate free agents.

Pretty unnecessary. If people want to trade a shit ton of times, then let them, unless it's someone purposefully shitting the bed and such. Also, this limits a lot of the fun player interactions that teams may try to accomplish.

The rules look good to me for the most part but the trade rule seems a little too restricting IMO.

I think we should have the opportunity to do more than 2 trades per year because there will also be a trade committee in place that in theory should be making sure nothing ridiculous gets through. I think something like 4-5 trades is more reasonable.

The only reason I put the 2 trades during the season and 2 in the offseason was so that teams don't go overboard and overhaul an entire team. If a user quits that team is pretty much toast for whomever takes them on. Plus the trade committee probably won't wanna spend all season going over everyone's trades when their are 4-5 trades per team. They'd literally be ruling on trades the whole year. We want everyone to have fun playing. I am open to changing it but I wanna hear what the rest of the league thinks first.

Could we possibly make this All - Pro. I feel like All-Madden might be too cheap for some people like me who havent played a madden for a while, considering most people in this league admit to being bad. If we figure out All-Madden is better, we can switch it, but, not really a fan of that difficulty in madden games

I meant to put All-Pro from the get go. My Bad guys. All-Pro has actually been made harder this year too so no more gimme wins against the CPU

Why should we dictate how people play the game. 2 touchdowns or 21 points is not an insurmountable lead that is terrible for the opponent. If someone keeps going for it on 4th down, then he's putting himself at risk of turning the ball over. Also, running up the score is a part of football video games. This aint the real world where you have to worry about media reaction, players actively trying to play their best against you ETC. It's kind of a silly rule when looking at it, it reminds of me of playing peewee football. and hell, running up the score usually involves passing, which just might lead to a turnover or a stopped clock.

This aint peewee football, I don't think we need to care about hurting peoples feelings

If everyone is okay with this I'll gladly take this rule out

I don't think ive ever played a madden where one play or strategy wasn't broken beyond belief. We should keep this to be a "sim" if you will, if we see anything egregious like someone abusing a play, then said person should be reprimanded. I think this year forces you to be balanced more then previous years, so it might not make a difference.

Pretty unnecessary. If people want to trade a shit ton of times, then let them, unless it's someone purposefully shitting the bed and such. Also, this limits a lot of the fun player interactions that teams may try to accomplish.

I will consider it. I just want to make sure an owner doesn't trade the hell out of a team and leave forcing whomever to take over to fix their mess. Remember these rules aren't final. This is just a starting point for what we are going to do.

hlhbk

I think fantasy draft would be a lot better for balance purposes, but I ain't complaining cause I got the Packers.

I will roll with whatever the majority decides. I could do either (though I won't complain about getting to actually have a decent QB if we fantasy draft! :p )

As a Packers fan, I am sad that you got them.

But as a fantasy draft fan, I am all for this idea.

We're actually just sticking with whatever teams we select. No fantasy draft here. That's basically what MUT is anyways.

Bacon

I will consider it. I just want to make sure an owner doesn't trade the hell out of a team and leave forcing whomever to take over to fix their mess. Remember these rules aren't final. This is just a starting point for what we are going to do.

I think that the trade committee will be able to see if there is someone deliberately trying to nuke their team, i.e. trading away key players for scraps. I think that if someone wants to screw over their team they can just as easily release key players into free agency.

We just need to maintain a general rule of 'don't be a dick'

I'd also just like to say that i'd rather not do fantasy draft.

I think that the trade committee will be able to see if there is someone deliberately trying to nuke their team, i.e. trading away key players for scraps. I think that if someone wants to screw over their team they can just as easily release key players into free agency.

We just need to maintain a general rule of 'don't be a dick'

I'd also just like to say that i'd rather not do fantasy draft.

VERY Good point.

hlhbk

The real question is are we going to be able to fill each team by the time the roster update drops? I would expect it to drop early next week.

Bacon

we just need to do some advertising in the OT I feel like.

Yup, every new page someone should make a post in there linking this thread.

Edit: Actually I can do that, I've already done it once, might as well keep it consistent.

abrack08

I'm fine with most of the rules. I would prefer going All-Pro, since that's the default online difficulty and what I normally use for my Franchise/CCM, but I can deal with All-Madden too. My only issue would be with All-Madden, you could be winning big and have your opponent disconnect, get to play the CPU, and realistically lose. I mean, you still "should" beat the CPU, but it seems like the one who was winning big gets shafted a bit (I think you have a higher chance of losing to the CPU on All-Madden then you do losing a 28 point 4th Quarter lead against a human). Hopefully I'm not the only one who ever sometimes loses to All-Madden CPU, haha.

I'm fine with the trade restrictions, but I'm also fine with unlimited trades as long as there's a committee. I don't plan on trading all that much myself so I don't feel like it effects me much either way.

The "not running it up" rules seem pretty fair. Most people should play that way anyway. There's some gray area though, I mean, if I'm up 21-7 at the very beginning of the 4th and it's 4th and 3 on my opponents 42 yard line... I'm probably going for that. But, since you're requiring video evidence, I'm sure you/the community could look at a video and go "Ok, going for it on 4th is actually somewhat reasonable here."

I do have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know when to expect the first Roster update? Wondering how much time I have to warm up. Didn't play Madden 25 much last year so I'm a bit out of practice.
2) How does the Share button work when playing online? Does it auto-pause the game? I know if you try to trim a video it Suspends the game, I imagine that would kick you from your game, right?

hlhbk

I'm fine with most of the rules. I would prefer going All-Pro, since that's the default online difficulty and what I normally use for my Franchise/CCM, but I can deal with All-Madden too. My only issue would be with All-Madden, you could be winning big and have your opponent disconnect, get to play the CPU, and realistically lose. I mean, you still "should" beat the CPU, but it seems like the one who was winning big gets shafted a bit (I think you have a higher chance of losing to the CPU on All-Madden then you do losing a 28 point 4th Quarter lead against a human). Hopefully I'm not the only one who ever sometimes loses to All-Madden CPU, haha.

I'm fine with the trade restrictions, but I'm also fine with unlimited trades as long as there's a committee. I don't plan on trading all that much myself so I don't feel like it effects me much either way.

The "not running it up" rules seem pretty fair. Most people should play that way anyway. There's some gray area though, I mean, if I'm up 21-7 at the very beginning of the 4th and it's 4th and 3 on my opponents 42 yard line... I'm probably going for that. But, since you're requiring video evidence, I'm sure you/the community could look at a video and go "Ok, going for it on 4th is actually somewhat reasonable here."

I do have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know when to expect the first Roster update? Wondering how much time I have to warm up. Didn't play Madden 25 much last year so I'm a bit out of practice.
2) How does the Share button work when playing online? Does it auto-pause the game? I know if you try to trim a video it Suspends the game, I imagine that would kick you from your game, right?

I would rather stay all pro as I haven't played all madden yet (I will be trying it out tonight). I expect the roster to drop either this weekend or the beginning of next week since the final roster cuts are on Saturday afternoon.

I'm fine with most of the rules. I would prefer going All-Pro, since that's the default online difficulty and what I normally use for my Franchise/CCM, but I can deal with All-Madden too. My only issue would be with All-Madden, you could be winning big and have your opponent disconnect, get to play the CPU, and realistically lose. I mean, you still "should" beat the CPU, but it seems like the one who was winning big gets shafted a bit. Hopefully I'm not the only one who ever sometimes loses to All-Madden CPU, haha.

I do have 2 questions:

I actually changed it to All-Pro so we will go with that setting going forward. I think you missed the part about 4th down where it says going for it on 4th and inches when up in the 4th. As for using the "Share" button, you actually just press it, nothing but a symbol pops up in the corner, barely noticeable and it will record 15 minutes of gameplay. I suggest editing once the game is over and going from there

abrack08

I actually changed it to All-Pro so we will go with that setting going forward. I think you missed the part about 4th down where it says going for it on 4th and inches when up in the 4th. As for using the "Share" button, you actually just press it, nothing but a symbol pops up in the corner, barely noticeable and it will record 15 minutes of gameplay. I suggest editing once the game is over and going from there

I didn't miss that, I just thought you meant it's only ok if it's literally 4th and inches. I'd probably got for 4th and <=5 in that situation I posted.

I didn't miss that, I just thought you meant it's only ok if it's literally 4th and inches. I'd probably got for 4th and <=5 in that situation I posted.

I did mean if you're up big that you can only go for it on 4th and inches in the 4th Qtr. What's the point of going for it on 4th and 5 when up big in the 4th Qtr unless you're trying to stat pad. Pretty much any team would punt in that situation anyways.

We also could invite people from Operation Sports if you wanted to? I am sure we could find some sim players there.

That could help. I would recruit some of the guys from MaddenTips but most wouldn't last. Madden-School guys are a bit more reliable but I'll hold off recruiting guys from there for now.

hlhbk

That could help. I would recruit some of the guys from MaddenTips but most wouldn't last. Madden-School guys are a bit more reliable but I'll hold off recruiting guys from there for now.

I already have an account over there. Do you want me to put up a thread or do you want me to hold off?

Jarate

Banned
I would prefer if we kept this as a gaf league and didn't invite anyone from other sites until necessary. It would make scheduling and stuff much easier. If we cant fill it up, then by all means, but we have at least a few days before we get desperate and ask for people from other sites to join

Top Bottom