• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

Godspeed to those guys, but I always laugh when they say "we get out because Spain is this or that". Do you guys understand that, whether you like it or not, you are as much Spain as Andalucía and whatnot, right?

Well, I can't speak for all Catalonians, but I assume that is exactly the issue: in their awareness they have never been Spaniards. Welcome to Europe.

Remeber Yugoslavia? Ask any Croat or Slovenian, Bosinan who was alive when this state existed about their nationality back then. More Examples: Southern Tyrol, The Basques. Bavaria, Nothern Italy...... Europe is still a flick carpet like 300 years ago on a mental level.

Khaz

Well, I can't speak for all Catalonians, but I assume that is exactly the issue: in their awareness they have never been Spaniards. Welcome to Europe.

Remeber Yugoslavia? Ask any Croat or Slovenian, Bosinan who was alive when this state existed about their nationality back then. More Examples: Southern Tyrol, The Basques. Bavaria, Nothern Italy...... Europe is still a flick carpet like 300 years ago on a mental level.

The problem is you can always subdivide. How long until Catalans from the south try to separate from the north? What about those by the sea who despise those from the countryside? Ask anyone in a village on a hill if they like those from that other village in the valley.

horkrux

The problem is you can always subdivide. How long until Catalans from the south try to separate from the north? What about those by the sea who despise those from the countryside? Ask anyone in a village on a hill if they like those from that other village in the valley.

It's not really a problem, because they also have to feel strong enough about it to actually want to secede.

tzare

well, if that happens, like it could be the case with Vall d'Aran, then, another referendum must be done. People have identities you know, and those are usually tied to certain regions, languages etc. If it has to happen, it will.

It is obvious that Catalans, many of them , including myself, do not feel spanish at all, and we want to have the chance to , democratically, decide if we stay or go. Nothing else. Just like other nations/regions have done before, Scotland, or even Britain with the EU.
We would like to have a referendum but Spain denies it. So what else can we do?
Every day that Spain denies this, the % that wants independence may rise.

Mik2121

They've been Spaniards for the last 500+ years and part of Aragon 200 or so years before that.
I know some of them don't feel Spaniard, but like it or not, they are.

I know this is a complex issue, but still... it's not like they became part of the country 50 years ago.

A lot of people do this for economic reasons, but once other countries bail the hell out of Barcelona (many business could left because of expected unstability) and many other events happen ala Brexit, let's see what happens.

tzare

They've been Spaniards for the last 500+ years and part of Aragon 200 or so years before that.

I know this is a complex issue, but still... it's not like they became part of the country 50 years ago.

A lot of people do this for economic reasons, but once other countries bail the hell out of Barcelona (many business could left because of expected unstability) and many other events happen ala Brexit, let's see what happens.

it does not matter if we have been part of spain for 1 or a hundred years. It is our feeling. Some want independence for the money thing, others for other reasons, or for a lot of them. It does not matter. It is a basic right.
Nobody should force people to be what they do not want to be.

And if we face tougher times it is our problem because we decided to go that way.

They are now, sure, but things change. For instance, the US was part of the UK, then it wasn't. Well, it is obviously a different scenario, but his history and even current set ups aren't an argument against change. The pros and cons need to be weighed up obviously. I am mixed on Catalan independence, it has a spectrum of political support, and I have a lot of friends in various parts of Spain. Still, it is up to the will of the people living there. As to the economic fall out, that is one part of the equation certainly, not the whole picture.

Ahasverus

it does not matter if we have been part of spain for 1 or a hundred years. It is our feeling. Some want independence for the money thing, others for other reasons, or for a lot of them. It does not matter. It is a basic right.

And if we face tougher times it is our problem because we decided to go that way.
This is true.

I always roll my eyes when people downplay other people's claims of independence. Imagine if the founding fathers of the USA had been guilt shamed back in the day for having stupid independence thoughts.

If people want independence, they do. And they must be supported.

I stand with Catalonia (And California) here.

Isn't that the whole problem with the referendum? The people ideologically attached to the secesion are consistently 1/3 of the population, like in the ridiculous 2014 consultation with only a 33% participation.
But those people are no true catalans to the politicians and activists, and in a plebiscite with no warranties that is supposed to give way to an ethno-state without a separation of powers, there is no warranty that they will be protected.
The 2014 consultation proved that secesionism is a loud ideological minority, but here we are. If that's the will of the people...

Mik2121

Oh no, I honestly don't care about Catalonians' feelings that much in that regard. If you want to become independent, go ahead. I think it's great to fight for what you want, as long as it doesn't hurt others. I'm not against it or downplaying it.

All I'm saying is that you, your parents and your grandparents have been as Spaniard as me being born in Madrid and with my family being from Valladolid. Trying to blame all the bad stuff going on in Spain to Spain and making yourself sound like you're different is simply wrong.

LOL, I will be in Torremolinos, Malaga when the seperatist vote happens in Catalaonia.

Everyone has the right to self determination, but I find that Catalonia's has always been more politically driven than actually culture driven. I would respect them more only if they were more pragmatic and moderate about their politics. They seem way too obstinent and unflexible. History even proves throughout the 19th Century and early 20th Century.

tzare

Isn't that the whole problem with the referendum? The people ideologically attached to the secesion are consistently 1/3 of the population, like in the ridiculous 2014 consultation with only a 33% participation.
But those people are no true catalans to the politicians and activists, and in a plebiscite with no warranties that is supposed to give way to an ethno-state without a separation of powers, there is no warranty that they will be protected.
The 2014 consultation proved that secesionism is a loud ideological minority, but here we are. If that's the will of the people...

wouldn't it be easier to know how many of us do want independence by allowing a referendum, Like happened in Scotland, and end with this stagnating situation? It is impossible to know how many want it and how many don't without actually asking the population.

Oh no, I honestly don't care about Catalonians' feelings that much in that regard. If you want to become independent, go ahead. I think it's great to fight for what you want, as long as it doesn't hurt others. I'm not against it or downplaying it.

All I'm saying is that you, your parents and your grandparents have been as Spaniard as me being born in Madrid and with my family being from Valladolid. Trying to blame all the bad stuff going on in Spain to Spain and making yourself sound like you're different is simply wrong.
The thing is many of us do want to leave, we don't want to hurt anyone, just to follow our own path.
Some of us blame Spain,there are a lot of people with different arguments, and many others do not. By the same metrics, watching all Spanish national media, we catalans are presented almost nazi and crazy and intolerant. Do i have to think that all Spain hates us? Because this is what i feel from reading papers and watching national tv.
We are no different, no better, no worse. We just FEEL that belong to something else. Can't others just accept that? Why is so diffcult.? In fact, at least for me, that is the thing that makes me want to leave Spain. never feel we have been respected , our language, we are like something residual and folklori that have to surrender to another culture/language that is not our own.

wouldn't it be easier to know how many of us do want independence by allowing a referendum, Like happened in Scotland, and end with this stagnating situation? It is impossible to know how many want it and how many don't without actually asking the population.
Welp, maybe don't help get PP elected with illegal consultations, work with other parties on the national level for needed changes in the constitution, I don't know. I didn't vote for the rightwing so I did my part. That sort of thing would imply a more widespread and unitary sentiment, which is evidently lacking. The unilateral and plebiscitarian nature of everything that has been done in the last ten years proves otherwise. And the involvement of public officials in the creation and distribution of propaganda is baffling to me. So many rallies and "state" propaganda man.

Johnny M

LOL, I will be in Torremolinos, Malaga when the seperatist vote happens in Catalaonia.

Everyone has the right to self determination, but I find that Catalonia's has always been more politically driven than actually culture driven. I would respect them more only if they were more pragmatic and moderate about their politics. They seem way too obstinent and unflexible. History even proves throughout the 19th Century and early 20th Century.

Indeed, people old enough (just +30 yo) can remember how was the political and social ambient in Catalonia during 80s, 90s and early 00s, nothing like today. And not to mention during the spanish transition it was offered to the Catalonia government the same status as the Basque Country and the "molt honorable" Pujol just declined the internal tax management.

In fact, at least for me, that is the thing that makes me want to leave Spain. never feel we have been respected , our language, we are like something residual and folklori that have to surrender to another culture/language that is not our own.

Please tell me how? You guys manage your own education system, health system, your autonomical law enforcement among other things. Hell, see the basques in this thread, the different languages and cultures in Spain are pretty much respected by the rest of the country and guaranteed by the constitution, and it's fact that during all these last decades not only those languages have been preserved, they are improving the number of speakers.

Ferr986

The thing is many of us do want to leave, we don't want to hurt anyone, just to follow our own path.
Some of us blame Spain,there are a lot of people with different arguments, and many others do not. By the same metrics, watching all Spanish national media, we catalans are presented almost nazi and crazy and intolerant. Do i have to think that all Spain hates us? Because this is what i feel from reading papers and watching national tv.
We are no different, no better, no worse. We just FEEL that belong to something else. Can't others just accept that? Why is so diffcult.? In fact, at least for me, that is the thing that makes me want to leave Spain. never feel we have been respected , our language, we are like something residual and folklori that have to surrender to another culture/language that is not our own.

This is false, unless you just focus on far right wind media like La Razon, 13 TV... This is like saying that everyone in Catalonia hates Spaniards, another thing that is false. (and I say this as a Catalan that got shit with one guy at Madrid just for telling him I was Catalan, but also a lot of others treated me nicely).

About the referendum, i'm the first that I want to vote, but also in a referendum with warranties for everyone. You say you feel excluded, imagine what they think the people that wants to vote No yet they see they're making a referendum without any warranty for them.

I say let's do it, but let's do it right, and for everyone in Catalonia.

Welp, maybe don't help get PP elected with illegal consultations, work with other parties on the national level for needed changes in the constitution, I don't know. I didn't vote for the rightwing so I did my part. That sort of thing would imply a more widespread and unitary sentiment, which is evidently lacking. The unilateral and plebiscitarian nature of everything that has been done in the last ten years proves otherwise. And the involvement of public officials in the creation and distribution of propaganda is baffling to me. So many rallies and "state" propaganda man.

Same thoughts here

Btw, independence means a lot for both sides, it would be way more complex and tougher than many think, especially for Catalonia.

And regarding this "show", shame on those politicians breaking the law while claiming democracy, they're doing no good to their people, it's embarrassing.

Galava

So, by tougher times you guys mean that you will be kicked out of the Euro and EU, all trade deals will be suspended and will have to ask to enter the EU once again after you meet all the requirements for it, which could last years. All that while not being able to travel freely outside of your country and making things harder for tourists to go there.

It's catalonian's decision to stay or to leave, but please be aware of all the direct consequences that you will face if it happens. It's not going to be a Utopia because now you are an independent republic, it's going to be TOUGH AF.

As a basque, I completely understand why you want out, and I respect your right to decide, just...be realistic and wish you guys the best.

tzare

i understad and would support that. But let's be realistic. The only political party that may help change the constitution would be Podemos, the rest, including the leftwing (so call themselves) are absolutelly against anything that 'breaks' the Nation.

In fact this independence thing has been rising since Catalonia voted the estatut, more than 10 years ago and it was destroyed by the Spanish Goverment and its armed arm, the 'Constitucional'.
There's not a single sign from Spain that we can reach any kind of agreement unfortunately, it wasn't with the Estatut, and since then well, things have gone worse,
And may i ask, what do we have to do? We have asked to do it a number of times, with the same answer, NOI, and last Generalitat election JPS was born to be as much legal as it could be done being an official election. ANd they just follow what they said the would do.

One thing is clear to me, there's no way this goes back. And a solution is needed.
Our solution is a referendum to ask the population. But this can't last forever until it 'fades', as the Spanish goverment seemsgo after.
It won't fade.

This is false, unless you just focus on far right wind media like La Razon, 13 TV... This is like saying that everyone in Catalonia hates Spaniards, another thing that is false. (and I say this as a Catalan that got shit with one guy at Madrid just for telling him I was Catalan, but also a lot of others treated me nicely).

About the referendum, i'm the first that I want to vote, but also in a referendum with warranties for everyone. You say you feel excluded, imagine what they think the people that wants to vote No yet they see they're making a referendum without any warranty for them.

I say let's do it, but let's do it right, and for everyone in Catalonia.
It is not only la razon. TVE, La Sexta, Cuatro, T5, A3, El pais, Elperiodico,,,,,,,
But i wasn't saying everyone hates us, just the feeling we get here most of the time from most of the media.

ANd you want to vote, as much as i want. But who is not allowing this. That is the clue, if that gets solved, The situation will start to find a solution.

And regarding this "show", shame on those politicians breaking the law while claiming democracy, they're doing no good to their people, it's embarrassing.

One thing is democracy, and another thing is legality.

Please tell me how? You guys manage your own education system, health system, your autonomical law enforcement among other things. Hell, see the basques in this thread, the different languages and cultures in Spain are pretty much respected by the rest of the country and guaranteed by the constitution, and it's fact that during all these last decades not only those languages have been preserved, they are improving the number of speakers.

Many of us feel we need a change on how things are. Basque country has a much better deal than the other CCAA. And being respected by COnstituion is nice, but that also needs to extrapolate to the real world. We feel that is not the case. We may be wrong of course, but again, is how we feel, and that needs to be respected. We don't feel comfortable, that's it. We do not need to justify why, really, we just want to leave. Let us vote.

Dierce

Indeed, people old enough (just +30 yo) can remember how was the political and social ambient in Catalonia during 80s, 90s and early 00s, nothing like today. And not to mention during the spanish transition it was offered to the Catalonia government the same status as the Basque Country and the "molt honorable" Pujol just declined the internal tax management.

Every time I call a business in Catalonia they respond in Catalan. They seem like a proud bunch of people who want to uphold their cultural heritage which is fine but they shouldn't let it clout reason. I just wish that fascist bastard Franco would never have happened, if not for him Spain would have been much more integrated and progressive.

Walshicus

Well, that's not really how nations works, is it? Nations are articulations of a... commonality that individuals feel and express. Nationality can't be imposed like citizenship (or subject-hood for us English).

So while people may be shackled to the Spanish state, that doesn't mean they are part of the "Spanish" nation.

Nationalism is a vile disease. The breathtaking stupidity of this never ceases to amaze me.
This is a ridiculous assertion.

Catalonians don't need a consultation to declare the independence, they can hold regional elections and say "if the following parties hold most of the votes we will declare he independence". In fact they did that, the problem is that the pro unilateral-independence parties didn't get most votes so now they are organizing something where they don't need the support of most people.

They also could vote without the vote being organized by the regional government and that would be legal. Again, if most Catalonians showed to vote it wouldn't matter what the central government thinks, their fight is not with the central government but with the Catalonians who either are against the independence or just don't care.

Mik2121

Well, that's not really how nations works, is it? Nations are articulations of a... commonality that individuals feel and express. Nationality can't be imposed like citizenship (or subject-hood for us English).

So while people may be shackled to the Spanish state, that doesn't mean they are part of the "Spanish" nation.

This is a ridiculous assertion.
Well, I mean... they are officially Spanish since even their passports say so. Sure, they might not feel like such and therefore want to do something about it. That's great.
All I'm saying is, when it comes to shitting on Spain, Catalonia right now is part of it and therefore part of the problem so trying to exclude themselves is not really the correct thing to do either.

Walshicus

Well, I mean... they are officially Spanish since even their passports say so. Sure, they might not feel like such and therefore want to do something about it. That's great.
All I'm saying is, when it comes to shitting on Spain, Catalonia right now is part of it and therefore part of the problem so trying to exclude themselves is not really the correct thing to do either.

But the point is that a good chunk of them don't want to be a part of it *because* they don't like it, or see what they perceive to be irreparable flaws.

It's like expecting a married couple to be happy and smiley all the way up to the point that they divorce. It's unrealistic.

Let me rephrase my question. What's so vile about Scottish, Catalonian or Kosovar nationalism?

It's still nationalism.
It's wrong for the same reasons nationalism is always wrong.
The problem isn't how you ask. It's that you equate someone calling nationalism bad with a stance against independence in general.

If you think it's not nationalism, then say that. Don't try to defend a practice that just divides, leads to war and suffering.

Metroxed

One thing is what a paper says and quite another how you feel. Sure, they're legally citizens of Spain, but many of them do not recognise Spain as their nation. It's like any of them will say "Oh, I was feeling a Catalan but then I looked my passport and realised I'm a Spaniard, oh well, go Spain!" That's not how it works.

I'm also a Spanish citizen. But my nation is and will always be the Basque Country. I identify as a Basque, first and foremost. I don't feel Spanish, I feel Basque. I know I am a Spanish citizen. That won't make me feel Spanish though.

It's still nationalism.
The problem isn't how you ask. It's that you equate someone calling nationalism bad with a stance against independence in general.

If you think it's not nationalism, then say that. Don't try to defend a practice that just divides, leads to war and suffering.

There are different types of nationalism. On one hand we have the destructive, exclusive nationalism that is based on the idea of national superiority and inferiority, of "better" and "worse" people. Then you have civic nationalism, which is the case for Catalonia or Scotland. It's not solely based on ethnicity, nor is it exclusive. They're not asking for the ethnic cleaning of all non-Catalans. In fact, many Catalans who today support independence are the grandchildren of the thousands of Andalusians, Castilians and Extremadurans who migrated to Catalonia in the mid-20th century. It is the belief that they would be better off by themselves, because they don't feel represented by the idea of Spain, by what Spain represents.

Mik2121

One thing is what a paper says and quite another how you feel. Sure, they're legally citizens of Spain, but many of them do not recognise Spain as their nation. It's like any of them will say "Oh, I was feeling a Catalan but then I looked my passport and realised I'm a Spaniard, oh well, go Spain!" That's not how it works.

I'm also a Spanish citizen. But my nation is and will always be the Basque Country. I identify as a Basque, first and foremost. I don't feel Spanish, I feel Basque. I know I am a Spanish citizen. That won't make me feel Spanish though.

I'm probably not explaining myself properly. I'm ok if you feel Catalan, Basque or Martian. What I'm saying is that for as long as you are part of Spain, you can't just simply say "I want out of here because Spain is shit and this and that" which is what some people like to do. Spain is how it is partially thanks to your community as well, so don't try to act like you're not responsible for anything.
Does that make sense?

Also, nationality is literally only related to your legal relationship to a nation. You might feel otherwise, though, and that's fine.

It's still nationalism.

The Scottish independence movement is clearly nationalist in nature. Hell, the leading political party is literally called the Scottish National Party. I'm interested to know why you think this nationalist movement is so vile and stupid.

tzare

No.

Depends om their branding of nationalism.

Scots are most modern

Catalan Nationalism is very 19th Centuryish and are not very friendly towards Castilian speakers who visit .
That is why we want to vote and accept a democratic result and been manifesting peacefully all these years.
The bolded part is untrue. I wonder if you are a Spanish nationalist. Or maybe another nationalist that dislikes people that think and feel different

barber

n fact, at least for me, that is the thing that makes me want to leave Spain. never feel we have been respected , our language, we are like something residual and folklori that have to surrender to another culture/language that is not our own.

I'm from a spanish region that has its own language not considered oficial nowadays and that was basically called for "stupid, poors and peasants" during the dictatorship, yeah no. It is true that the typical "spanish culture" that most people know is nothing like yours or mine, but that is due to other factors such as tourists.

That is why we want to vote and accept a democratic result and been manifesting peacefully all these years.
The bolded part is untrue. I wonder if you are a Spanish nationalist. Or maybe another nationalist that dislikes people that think and feel different

I'm not a Spanish nationalist at all, the best way to draw support for your cause is to be about doing with positive renforcement instead of negative renforcment.

Lets compare Scotland 2014 versus Quebec 1995.

Scotland 2014
's campaign was more positive driven, progressive, modern and all inclusive.

Quebec 1995
's campaign was 100% negative, emotional, regressive, ethnically exclusive and vile nasty.

Now, Catalonia's campaigning is much closer to Quebec's negative 1995 and 1980 campaign models as opposed to Scotland's positive 2014 campaign model.
They would gain more global support if they adopt the Scottish model instead of harping on Quebec's ethno-centric model.

tzare

I'm from a spanish region that has its own language not considered oficial nowadays and that was basically called for "stupid, poors and peasants" during the dictatorship, yeah no. It is true that the typical "spanish culture" that most people know is nothing like yours or mine, but that is due to other factors such as tourists.
It's my personal feeling and what i have been experiencing all my life, can't talk for other regions, and has nothing to do with tourism.
That said i am sure other regions may have even worse situations, or others may find this a non issue. But it is how i feel. It is probably not rational. I don't need that anyone agrees with me either. I want to leave Spain
And like me there lots of different reasons for the thousands that want to leave, some more logical than others, but all valid as long as respect the others opinion.

Now, Catalonia's campaigning is much closer to Quebec's negative 1995 and 1980 campaign models as opposed to Scotland's positive 2014 campaign model.
I disagree with you. But won't argue since won't lead us anywhere. It would be and endless discussion.
Anyway i think the only way to solve this is to vote, which is the way democracy works until a better way is found

Geist-

So, by tougher times you guys mean that you will be kicked out of the Euro and EU, all trade deals will be suspended and will have to ask to enter the EU once again after you meet all the requirements for it, which could last years. All that while not being able to travel freely outside of your country and making things harder for tourists to go there.

It's catalonian's decision to stay or to leave, but please be aware of all the direct consequences that you will face if it happens. It's not going to be a Utopia because now you are an independent republic, it's going to be TOUGH AF.

As a basque, I completely understand why you want out, and I respect your right to decide, just...be realistic and wish you guys the best.
How are the pro-independence people marketing this? If they're doing the same thing as the Brexit guys (namely, lying out their ass), then I can only see this as taking advantage of ignorant people so a small group can increase their personal power and wealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom