• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Just tried bayo 2 with 1.7.1, the fps are way better, but the sound glitches are still there (way less this time), but it's a good progress.

The only games that interest me on the system are Bayo 2, W101 and Xenoblade.

Are any of them playable from start to finish with little to no graphical/sound issues?

bayo has a lot of sound problems apparently

BadWolf

The only games that interest me on the system are Bayo 2, W101 and Xenoblade.

Are any of them playable from start to finish with little to no graphical/sound issues?

roytheone

Alright thanks. So what level CPU then do you need? I have an i7 870. Should that be sufficient for most things?

I have the exact same cpu (non overclocked) and it actually runs quite a few games very good! Games like super mario 3d world, mario kart 8 and new super mario bros U run pretty much full speed!

elyetis

Man, 1.7.1 has really smoothed out XCX performance a lot. It's basically running at locked 30 fps now, excepting occasional hitches while assets load in. The bloom issue isn't fixed but the graphics pack workaround someone made for it is fine. The audio is much better now and much less glitchy too. XCX is really completely playable now, the Skell entry/exit bug is fixed too.
It's probably coming from me but I have a hard time getting more than ~20-22fps in most places at 1080p ( let alone 1440 ) on a 2500K overclocked at 4.4 and a 1080.

It's probably coming from me but I have a hard time getting more than ~20-22fps in most places at 1080p ( let alone 1440 ) on a 2500K overclocked at 4.4 and a 1080.

One important tip, and it's for everyone, Delete your shader cache and build a new one in 1.7.1. Do not download anyone else's. In addition, delete your settings.bin and rebind your controller. Essentially, besides your save game, you want to start as clean as possible. That boosted me from 15-20 fps in 1.7 to a locked 30 in 1.7.1 for XCX. You'll hang in a few places as you build a new cache but it's worth it.

With a 1080 you could easily install the 4K pack and notice no difference. The graphics packs are, primarily, GPU based and your GPU is completely underutilized.

elyetis

One important tip, and it's for everyone, Delete your shader cache and build a new one in 1.7.1. Do not download anyone else's. In addition, delete your settings.bin and rebind your controller. Essentially, besides your save game, you want to start as clean as possible. That boosted me from 15-20 fps in 1.7 to a locked 30 in 1.7.1 for XCX. You'll hang in a few places as you build a new cache but it's worth it.

With a 1080 you could easily install the 4K pack and notice no difference. The graphics packs are, primarily, GPU based and your GPU is completely underutilized.
Thanks I'll check that, I think I did start clean, but I might have transfered my cache from 1.7.0.

The only game I'm aware of where using someone else's shader cache causes problems is WWHD. The full shader cache someone made awhile back works fine for me in XCX with 1.7.1.

Mifec

A quick run-around on Outset Island shows that framerate seems to be much better in Wind Waker HD too, though I'm not really interested in playing through that one again right now.

The hill to the left of Link's house would drop to 15fps for me, now it's a locked 30. Sick improvement. Also using a shader cache I downloaded and no issues at 4k so far. 3570k oc-ed to 4.6 and a 1080 non OC-ed.

elyetis

Gave it another try. I still can't seem to get something close to a locked 30fps, even with a brand news Cemu download.
HxzImd3.jpg

( left it on windowed to see the fps counter, it's with a 1440p gamepack )
Can't seem to get better than this ~22-25 fps on that fight. What is pretty strange is that if I do that fight again with my shaderpack already present, I won't have those ~25fps, this exact same scene will be a 15-20fps. I did the test like 6 times and the result is always the same, never close to locked 30fps ( even without graphicPacks ), no shader when loading : about 25fps, with shader when loading : about 15fps.
It's driving me so crazy I'm thinking about doing a fresh w10 instalation tomorow just for the sake of it.

Mivey

What happened to the promised forward compatibility of that thing?
It's compatible. It's just if they make the shader creation process better, in the sense that it can make more efficient shaders, you will of course need to recreate them.

Gave it another try. I still can't seem to get something close to a locked 30fps, even with a brand news Cemu download.
HxzImd3.jpg

( left it on windowed to see the fps counter, it's with a 1440p gamepack )
Can't seem to get better than this ~22-25 fps on that fight. What is pretty strange is that if I do that fight again with my shaderpack already present, I won't have those ~25fps, this exact same scene will be a 15-20fps. I did the test like 6 times and the result is always the same, never close to locked 30fps ( even without graphicPacks ), no shader when loading : about 25fps, with shader when loading : about 15fps.
It's driving me so crazy I'm thinking about doing a fresh w10 instalation tomorow just for the sake of it.

Did you purposely design a character who looks just like Alexa or are you just into redheads with short hair?

Datschge

It's compatible. It's just if they make the shader creation process better, in the sense that it can make more efficient shaders, you will of course need to recreate them.
Then it's useless though. What's the purpose of telling "you can create and share the shader cache now" only to then have people suggest it's better to delete it as it causes performance issues.

Mivey

Then it's useless though. What's the purpose of telling "you can create and share the shader cache now" only to then have people suggest it's better to delete it as it causes performance issues.
Especially with larger games, you will have thousands and thousands of shaders. Imagine you are playing XCX and a new update fixes bugs, and you have to play with choppy performance for half an hour until most of the shaders are there again. Not so useless.
They could built a method that updates shaders asynchronously, so it looks when the shader was made and updates it, but uses the old one for the current run. That way you would see performance gains on subsequent runs, but not have to worry about keeping your shader cache up to date.

jediyoshi

It's because people are conflating "shader caches". The transferable shader cache is what's being shared. The precompiled shader cache is what your system generates for actual use based on your hardware.

Datschge

It's because people are conflating "shader caches". The transferable shader cache is what's being shared. The precompiled shader cache is what your system generates for actual use based on your hardware.
Wait... the latter isn't automatically cleared when it's outdated?

The only game I'm aware of where using someone else's shader cache causes problems is WWHD. The full shader cache someone made awhile back works fine for me in XCX with 1.7.1.

Well we have two examples on this very page, and multiple on the cemu subreddit. So we'll just say that your experience doesn't mean someone else will have the same one. Also that Shader Cache is not complete, even when I was using it on 1.7 I was constantly adding stuff to it.

Look it's an emulator. The guy(s) making it try their best. Perhaps transferable shader caches will be more stable in the future. Heck deleting your settings.bin should have nothing to do with your performance and yet in every build before this one it did, and if you had another controller bound your fps was halved. It has bugs, this is not surprising. Not even remotely. However, for what it is, it works fairly well. So take everything everyone says exactly as I presented it: Tips. Nothing more, what works for you may not work for anyone else who tries it and what works for 99% of the rest of the people using cemu may not work for you. It's experimental and openly so. That means that it expects, though sometimes doesn't require, a little experimenting on your side to make it functional.

More tips for the screenshot above, the less your CPU has to render the better, so your skell Fuel, the time of day and weather, The button prompts on the right and the text descriptions for your arts I went into settings and hid all that junk.

hohoXD123

Damn, Xenoblade X looks amazing at 5k. I was switching between the Wii U and the Cemu version, and wow I can't believe I finished the game in that state. Having said that, the game stutters too much to be completely playable for me, I'll see if running it from the SSD helps.

elyetis

More tips for the screenshot above, the less your CPU has to render the better, so your skell Fuel, the time of day and weather, The button prompts on the right and the text descriptions for your arts I went into settings and hid all that junk.
I did that but since I also pushed my OC to 4.5ghz ( no cpu burn yet to see if it's stable thought ), I don't know which of the two made me got about +2-3fps for that fight ( so still not locked 30, but ~27 is still better than ~25 ).
I still need to do a fresh windows instalation next week, but in the mean time I might also try to push the OC a little more.

Anyone else feel like we should wrap up a compilation of the hidden "features" for cemu? Like the key combos (screenshot, tablet view, gyro...) and command line arguments.

I don't even know how people found out about them in the first place seeing how there is no read me that comes with cemu? Maybe I'm just missing something.

Stuff I know:

Arguments:
-f: Launch in full screen
-g %path%: Launch specified wux/wud/rpx

Key combos:
Tab (Hold): Show tablet view
Ctrl + Tab: Toggle tablet view
RMB (Drag): Simulate gyro input
Shift + PrtScr: Copy full resolution screenshot to clipboard

We should add this to the OP, thanks, really useful =D

Peterthumpa

So, they kind of stealth released 1.7.2.

Changelog:

Optimizations
Improved compatibility
Graphic improvements
Bugfixes & minor adjustments
Detailed changelog (1.7.2)

Noteworthy changes

Since there hasn't been a news post for this release here is a short summary of what has changed:

- Various smaller optimizations (Situation specific, so you might not see an overall FPS boost but some previously unusual FPS drops are reduced)
- Graphic improvements (Mostly visible in DKC TF and Sniper Elite V2)
- As usual bugfixes & minor adjustments
- Fast Racing Neo now boots

jediyoshi

Oooh boy this was out of nowhere, time to burn the midnight oil

Nice feature for people on non-16:9 displays, Keep aspect ratio / stretch

Mikeside

it's been a while since I checked in on this

is it still quite painful having to play with slowdowns while the shader cache builds?

Are those videos based on areas that had significant problems before? I've only watched Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario but there are a lot of frame drops on both of them (especially Mario Kart, it's a bit of a mess unless it's a video problem), from a lot of impressions I thought it would be smoother.

Top Bottom