• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville Mayor: Donald Trump responsible for white supremacist resurgence

Bronx-Man

Banned
Donald Trump has been blamed for the violent clashes between white supremacists and opposing groups and police in Virginia by the Mayor of Charlottesville.

Mayor Michael Signer said he was disappointed the white nationalists had descended on his town and said responsibility lay with Mr Trump for inflaming racial prejudices during his presidential campaign last year.

He said: "I'm not going to make any bones about it. I place the blame for a lot of what you're seeing in America today right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the President."
More attendees are expected to flock to Charlottesville - normally a quiet, liberal-leaning university city - by tomorrow.

Both local hospitals said they have taken precautions to prepare for an influx of patients and had extra staff on standby.

The Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Centre, which track extremist groups, both believe the event has the potential to be the largest of its kind in at least a decade.
Link

Not a single goddamn lie.

Nexas

At least some one in government is willing to fucking say it. Now if only our news media would do the same thing.

moeman

I mean, proclaiming Trumpy is responsible for enabling white nationalism is like saying water is wet, but I applaud his courage for speaking out. It should be a given and widely accepted that he's responsible for the downturn our country has taken.

Jeremy

Respectable. I like the way someone put it in another thread: they've become so emboldened they no longer need the robes.

Zubz

Banned
I mean, proclaiming Trumpy is responsible for enabling white nationalism is like saying water is wet, but I applaud his courage for speaking out. It should be a given and widely accepted that he's responsible for the downturn our country has taken.

Too few people in positions of authority have been this blunt. It's a positive in my book!

I typed out two sarcastic drafts to this comment where I'd make fun of how the alt-right would say this mayor is trying to infringe on their free speech, and question his authority to call out the President. But I can't. Fuck this whole terrorist attack, and every piece of venomous evil that helped culminate it.

A politician actually calling out the truth right now should be respected.

Slayven

I am so glad he is white, finally some folks will listen

Dude has balls and i applaud him, maybe folks will start bucking up

Half true. The Republican party and the conservative propaganda machine is responsible for this extremism. Trump is a symptom of the disease.

JABEE

Exactly. I don't remember seeing Eisenhower/Reagan conservatives doing Nazi salutes on the street. It's disgusting.

Most of those people's fathers or grandfathers fought the Germans or had family members die at the hands of Nazi Germany, so it isn't white fairytale play land for them. You shouldn't even have to have had a family member fight the Nazis to find this KKK racist bull shit abhorrent.

The President and his cronies either want this and agree with the Nazis or they are too afraid to lose their racist base to speak out against what normally was a bi-partisan, almost American rejection of fascism.

Futureman

I'm sure if you straight up asked these Nazis they would agree that Trump has convinced them to be more brazen about their hateful views.

More government officials need to call out the Trump-white supremacy connection.
It's not like it popped out of nowhere, it was very clear during the election and this is the result of it all.

He's not wrong, these people may have always been around but Trump and his ilk have given these bastards the courage to show their true colours.

Trey

He isn't responsible, he's the face. White nationalism has always been a fabric of America, now it's being justified and protected by the same structures which allowed Donald Trump to be elected. The GOP, conservative thinks tanks, and "gotta hear both sides" rhetoric allowed this all to grow and fester.

Normally it would only be a big deal coming from a Republican but the fact is even most democrats are afraid to state the obvious as bluntly as this

Grow a pair you fucking dolts

Meowster

So happy that someone in a respectable position is calling this out instead of the "white nationalism is a political stance and we must be respectful of other people's politics" that has been running rampant.

PixelatedBookake

images

Top Bottom