• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville Mayor: Donald Trump responsible for white supremacist resurgence

jelly

I want to have hope but it seems like all of the Republicans have nailed themselves to sinking shitboat that is the Trump administration.

Democrats need to do it too. I get that people don't want to become the focus and let Tump etc. eat themselves but there is some things you need to call out so people are aware and get on the right train. Anything that helps educate people and bring a spotlight to pure hate and evil.

besada

Banned
I think it's clear that Trump has emboldened white supremacists, and I think it's clear he's supported political violence repeatedly.

I don't think the Mayor's really stepping out on a limb here, although Trump supporters will go batshit because someone questioned the God Emperor.

Ernest

Banned
Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!
10:19 AM - Aug 12, 2017

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

Am in Bedminster for meetings & press conference on V.A. & all that we have done, and are doing, to make it better-but Charlottesville sad!
11:00 AM - Aug 12, 2017
To anyone who believes that first tweet was written by Trump, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's mealy-mouthed, calculated, and deliberately crafted to skirt up to the edge of condemning the white supremacists while still giving enough cover to allow the white supremacists to interpret it as a condemnation of the counter protests. In fact, Richard Spencer is doing just that. But look at the syntax, the word choice, the verbiage. That's not how Trump speaks/writes. Those are not his words. They are Bannon's or Kelly's or God only knows whose, but not Trump's.

The second tweet -- the one where's he says "I'm really super busy Making America Great Again, but oh yeah, I'll give an 8-year-old's response to the violence as an afterthought tacked on to the end of a tweet justifying why I ignored the white riots for nearly 24 hours" -- that one is all Trump.

What a fucking goddamn embarrassment.

To anyone who believes that first tweet was written by Trump, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's mealy-mouthed, calculated, and deliberately crafted to skirt up to the edge of condemning the white supremacists while still giving enough cover to allow the white supremacists to interpret it as a condemnation of the counter protests. In fact, Richard Spencer is doing just that. But look at the syntax, the word choice, the verbiage. That's not how Trump speaks/writes. Those are not his words. They are Bannon's or Kelly's or God only knows whose, but not Trump's.

The second tweet -- the one where's he says "I'm really super busy Making America Great Again, but oh yeah, I'll give an 8-year-old's response to the violence as an afterthought tacked on to the end of a tweet justifying why I ignored the white riots for nearly 24 hours" -- that one is all Trump.

What a fucking goddamn embarrassment.

Fucking truth.

He'll say nothing close to that first tweet verbally when he speaks on today's events.

He'll ramble, stumble and pat himself on the back whilst making promises he can't keep.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/896445864398520321

Get a load of this absolute cunt, makes my blood boil these people act like they aren't directly responsible for encouraging this shit
That's why hey say this bollocks, to deflect attention away from themselves and the shit they've said. But it's so fucking transparent. Unfortunately there are far too many gullible and ignorant fools around who eat up this nonsense.

zelas

Thank you. He's 100% a responsible party and is actively fostering white terrorists with the dog whistle speech he just gave about the attack.

Foffy

Banned
Trump has normalized this type of radicalized violence, even if you want to limit it to the domain of thought.

Nice to see someone call out the sociopathic, narcissistic con artist for the orange fucking cancer he is to American society.

Xe4

Banned
You mean to tell me that because the eventual president of the United States calling Mexicans rapists, black people criminals, and Muslims terrorists would embolden white supremacists?!?

Nooooooo...

Congrats on the mayor, though it was pretty obvious.

Carl2291

Nah, that's bullshit.

Trump aint responsible for it, Trump is simply the end game of the movement. It's been a thing long before Trump was elected President.

So how many hours before Trump tweets angrily at the Charlottesville mayor for saying this, thus insulting a mayor of an American city in a literal state of emergency?

Gutek

He was too soft in that statement. Every goddamned government official needs to repeat the following:

TRUMP NEEDS TO BE FUCKING REMOVED FROM OFFICE

This should be their statement every fucking day till the day that fucker is out.

Foffy

Banned
Nah, that's bullshit.

Trump aint responsible for it, Trump is simply the end game of the movement. It's been a thing long before Trump was elected President.

Yes, but just like how Trump is a system of society, this movement is also a symptom of the same society, which Trump's hyperbole has enabled.

If Trump is the product of "Global Trumpsim" to quote Mark Blyth's phrase, neonationalism comes from the same bloodstream, which he and these white supremacists absolutely are in line with.

Anion

Nah, that's bullshit.

Its both from what I see. Trump is both a product of it and a reinforcer. You can't deny that he has empowered these supremacists

Stranya

Nah, that's bullshit.

He's responsible, in a big way, for doing a lot to "legitimise" (obviously it's not legitimate, hence the speech marks) or empower it though, isn't he? From here in the UK, it looks like the shit that was no doubt always there is more "visible" now. But I could be wrong.

Twio

Nah, that's bullshit.

Pretty dense to not understand how bigots may have been emboldened by Trump's white nationalist rhetoric, and therefore made the movement even bigger than it was.

The alt-right wasn't a blip on anyone's radar before Trump

Pretty dense to not understand how bigots may have been emboldened by Trump's white nationalist rhetoric, and therefore made the movement even bigger than it was.

The alt-right wasn't a blip on anyone's radar before Trump
Only because you weren't paying attention.

People of color been telling all of you for years this shit was happening.

Top Bottom