• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| Cheap, Calm, and Carry On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we need a UK gaf thread since the majority of these posts are about UK retailers...

EDIT - idm since I'm from the UK as well, but I can see why people are annoyed.

That Sierra 117 ‏@HisLonelyMan is an absolute twat. If I was Shopto I'd hold his order until as late as possible.
Tbh I'm surprised ShopTo don't have some kind of abuse policy. Like if you're aggressive with train staff for example, you're off the train. If he gave ShopTo his order number I would've just cancelled it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Tbh I'm surprised ShopTo don't have some kind of abuse policy. Like if you're aggressive with train staff for example, you're off the train. If he gave ShopTo his order number I would've just cancelled it.

Same.

"There you go. Now you can order elsewhere and see how early it comes. Have a nice day.

-Shopto"

B_Signal

they did that once, and Gaf, Twitter etc erupted in defence of the customer, they ended up giving him a PS4 iirc. Granted he wasn't abusive as such, but he was a bit of a dick

bitoriginal

I think Shopto are quickly losing their USP tbh, they garnered a large following of customers due to delivering a day or so early but they're not so hot on it anymore. For example I preordered Until Dawn, which they despatched yesterday but it didn't arrive today. I don't expect it, but let's be honest, we all like a game a day early. Looks like Simply are the new go to for early delivery.

oldmario

I think Shopto are quickly losing their USP tbh, they garnered a large following of customers due to delivering a day or so early but they're not so hot on it anymore. For example I preordered Until Dawn, which they despatched yesterday but it didn't arrive today. I don't expect it, but let's be honest, we all like a game a day early. Looks like Simply are the new go to for early delivery.

everything i've ordered from them has come a day early, usually if i don't get it before but on release date or a day later then it's down to the local post office

How on Earth is that shopto's fault? What more could they have done, short of walking to your house personally?

Also, when did shopto stop being censored?

King_Moc

Banned

Their delivery is still the same, but they're not as price competitive as they were and their website is fucking awful. Plus simply deliver 2 days early quite often.

pelican

I used to buy from shopto, but now I'm either Simply Games or The Game Collection.

I find both to be great and recommend them.

LAM09

Their delivery is still the same, but they're not as price competitive as they were and their website is fucking awful. Plus simply deliver 2 days early quite often.

Feel the same way. Shopto used to be my go to site, but their pricing isn't what it once was.

Yasawas

Also their layout has always been abysmal and essentially impossible to use on mobile. I'm glad simply and TGC have come along and got bigger to give them a kick up the arse.

I used to order with shopto because would get games 2 days early very often, but the last couple of years their prices have stank so not ordered anything from them except a couple of misprices, which they honoured.

Dunno what happened to them, The Jersey tax loophole getting blocked maybe?

Shopto have gone to shit recently (ignoring the fact that my bank card details leaked from their site) ordered an Amiibo from them and it never arrived then they wanted me to fill out forms and wait a month to get my refund. Thankfully I used PayPal.

King_Moc

Banned
Shopto have gone to shit recently (ignoring the fact that my bank card details leaked from their site) ordered an Amiibo from them and it never arrived then they wanted me to fill out forms and wait a month to get my refund. Thankfully I used PayPal.

Exact same thing happened with me with the Shulk amiibo from there.

Herp2daDerp

Neo Member
Having to wait for 3-4 weeks is pretty standard procedure.

thechemist

Tesco have told me on Twitter that MGSV will be dispatched by Friday, so that's fine. Would be nice to play this weekend, but I can't complain if they send it Friday. Saturday would be too late, but Friday means it's luck of the draw as to whether it arrives early or on time - which is fine for £35.

My copy just dispatched!!

They lost their USP ages ago. They're haven't been the only site that gets games to you early for a while now and they're more expensive than SimplyGames etc to boot. The only reason I still use them is because they tend to have a better selection of titles on Vita and 3DS.

GRW810

They also used to be the cheapest place to buy games by a comfortable distance. I can't recall whether it was an actual or policy but you could guarantee they'd be not just a few pence but several quid cheaper than elsewhere. Actually I remember you could go on their forums and tell them if you found a cheaper price and they'd drop theirs. I remember getting Super Mario Galaxy for something like £22 on release.

Since then their prices have become standard and their customer service is nothing to shout about. After years of using other sites I ordered Mario Kart 8 from ShopTo and they messed up the order.

Freeman76

Shopto are shit now, I refuse to use them for anything. Simplygames are where it's at for now, until they get too big for their boots like shopto have in which case I will move on to the next new kid on the block :)

Hasney

Simplygames have been around longer than shopto, so I doubt they'll change much unless they're ever taken over. It's where I got my Dreamcast from!

Craft

I honestly don't believe they shipped it though, something was off about the whole thing. They 'shipped' it on a Sunday night or something peculiar. They're awful anyway.

Don't they send pictures of the parcels they are sending out? Could you ask for proof of shipping? It does seem really dodgy considering there was such a shortage.

Didn't Shopto hire a few guys from GAME? That was when the prices slowly increased.

Also got my copy from simply games for MGS5, put 5 hours into it so far. Gonna use them more from now on, especially during the christmas crazy release hour.

I tend to use either SimplyGames or TheGamesCollection now. ShopTo used to be my site of choice but their prices got a lot higher while at the same time their delivery times started taking longer. No reason to stick with them.

demonkaze

I really regret ordering from Shopto, even if that steelbook is nice. Can't see them delivering on saturday now and even getting a bit worried about delivery for Tuesday. Tempted to order from Simply today in the hopes of getting it tomorrow and sending my Shopto copy back when it arrives. Whats the odds of getting it on Saturday if I order now from Simply?

I really regret ordering from Shopto, even if that steelbook is nice. Can't see them delivering on saturday now and even getting a bit worried about delivery for Tuesday. Tempted to order from Simply today in the hopes of getting it tomorrow and sending my Shopto copy back when it arrives. Whats the odds of getting it on Saturday if I order now from Simply?
k5GBKed.png

2NwbWoq.png

Gigarator

TGC claimed on twitter that all MGS orders were sent yesterday. Well mine wasn't, hit them up through their contact page and got an apology and dispatch immediately.

Not liking my chances of getting it before Tuesday now.

I know it's frustrating and getting a game early is great and all, but if you get it by the official release date, they've done their job.

I say this knowing full well I'll be furious if I don't get Fallout 4 by November 7th...

glaurung

Do Simplygames still send grey imports on occasion? I used to use them but got weary. People in this thread are getting UK copies of MGSV?
Most cheap stores send those.

TGC often sells games with Arabian box texts, but at least they're decent enough to say it out loud on the product page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom