• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

chugen

Ubisoft is really having a great balance of AAA and smaller games right now. can't be mad at that. 2014 gonna be good

Yeeeeeeees more aesthetics like this, please. More developers need to stop attempting boring realism and instead bring art to the industry. This is glorious.

However, JRPG combat? No thanks. I'm too old for leveling up and turn battles crap. Couple of decades ago I could afford the time and patience. I want to see the art so I'll go with the PC version plus a cheat trainer thing to skip battles.

OnFire331

It looks unbelievably good in motion, the music is beautiful and it's a turn-based sidescrolling JRPG-styled game. Give it to me, Ubisoft!

steam_money0hibg.gif

Effect

Wow. This looks amazing. I don't know what it is but for some reason I want to buy Rayman Legends more. Not sure if it's wanting to support that game sooner so stuff like this continues to come out or the art style reminds me why I was looking forward to Rayman Legends in the first place. Wii U eShop purchase for sure. I assume this is a digital release since it was announced at their digital event right?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well, for example a linear narrative structure or a lack of conversation trees. The fixed character/enemy positions in combat.

There are plenty of linear WRPGs out there and plenty of JRPGs that involve positioning and moving in battle. I didn't even know the latter was considered a characteristic of JRPGs. I'm not sure why either when many JRPGs involve moving characters and enemies or at least taking their positions into consideration, are the more simplistic characteristics always considered a staple of Japanese game design?

Also, I believe there have been more sidescrolling JRPGs than sidescrolling WRPGs, so even the perspective points more to that sub-genre.

I find it odd that people have to reach to find examples of these terms every time they're used.

But does CoL really have this "recipe"? Art and tone-wise the game is clearly inspired by european-style fairy tales, and a side-scrolling, turn-based RPG is not something that occurs often on either side of the planet (like, the only examples I can think up are the first two Valkyrie Profile games and The Stick of Truth, the latter of which isn't even released yet). At face face value this game doesn't really seem to have anything significantly "J"-like in its presentation at all.

The real recipe will be written by this game.

The girl's animation looks phenomenal. The art style reminds me of a pen & watercolor look. And the turn-based looking combat definitely got my attention. Looking forward to seeing more.

Are they aiming at a $60 price? Or can we expect maybe $30?

I guess it really depends on how deep the game is. That being said, any reason Ubi can give to excuse a $60 price tag, they'll jump on.

Alric

I'm loving this return to art style / graphics. It looks gorgeous and I dig the narration. A definite buy, especially if it maybe gets a Vita release.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noticing the Grandia-like action bar at the bottom lifted my interest a bit.
That's what got me, really.

Even with them saying it was supposed to be reminiscent of Vagrant Story, FF8, Limbo, and Final Fantasy VI, I think they might take hints of other stuff from that specific era as well.

lilltias

Why are people praising the engine? That has almost nothing to do with the art style, especially not in a 2d game like this. I guess it's a nice engine that makes games like this possible, but it's not some kind of miracle.

Begaria

What makes it a JRPG? The fact it's not made in Japan or the fact it doesn't look like a JRPG?

The game looks amazing, but is it really just the ATB bar that's anchoring this thing to the JRPG moniker?

I'm going to open a can of worms with this, but the industry (and us gamers) tend to apply "JRPG" incorrectly. JRPG is an industry coined term that was used to describe RPGs coming from Japan that has a strong emphasis on narrative with a lighter focus on mechanics. It's a misnomer that arose since we needed something to separate our hardcore PCRPGs based on D&D (what we call WRPGs) from the console style light RPGs coming from Japan (JRPGs). In fact, the "correct term" for JRPG IS "Light" or "Console Style" RPGs - RPGs that are far more focused on narrative with streamlined mechanics. That line has been blurred a lot in the last few years as both mechanics and narrative have been getting an equal focus. I don't mind people using the JRPG term, but I don't like it when people use it incorrectly.

If you're interested in knowing more about this history, I suggest two different video series on the subject:

The Real History of JRPGs/console style/Light RPG (Parts 1 and 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTjJTfJgwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN5-tKv6a3w

Rise of the RPG - A History
http://clanofthegraywolf.com/30/

I prefer Roo's (16 Bit Gems) videos more, but RPG Fanatic's videos are a little shorter and more to the point.

So what makes Child of Light a "JRPG"? Simple. It has simple, streamlined mechanics similar to past JRPGs, and it seems like it has a heavier focus on its storyline and narrative. That's basically all you need to be a Light RPG. On the flip side, take Skyrim. Yes, it has a story and narrative, but it's not the focus. The focus is on the mechanics and exploration (which are on the lighter side in Light RPGs). It's a series that was founded on PCRPG mechanics (i.e. D&D and similar mechanics), and even though The Elder Scrolls is now popular on consoles, it's very much still heavily into the PCRPG (or WRPG if you prefer).

original.0

Edit:
Oh and Child of Light looks AMAZING!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Noticing the Grandia-like action bar at the bottom lifted my interest a bit.

Grandia X Kick Heart, lol.

The idea that any of this could look "Off-model" between cinematic and game-character, is so weird. Why? It's such a simple little style that everything should look exact from any distance.

I need to watch the trailer again, it's not nearly leaving as much impression on me, as it is for many in here... I'm glad Ubi is making it, but it doesn't feel so far and away more involved than a mountain of indie efforts that are also being made with 2D styles.

Nerokis

Need this. I've always had a soft spot for children's books, watercolor, and turn based combat, so the trailer highly resonated with me. The art style is so lovely, and looks beautiful in motion. It's encouraging to hear it's been inspired by some of my favorite franchises, ranging from Final Fantasy to Grandia, and it's also interesting to see some of the creative force behind Far Cry 3 try their hand at a JRPG. This really seems like a labor of love, and so far it shows.

LiK

YouTube's messed up on my PC and all I see is a bunch of blurry pixels. Needed to take a look at the screens to realize what a beauty this game really is.

Oh man, looks even better in motion and the music is great.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Love the character design! The protagonist's big poofy hair <3 <3

...The drawings in the dialogue exchange are a bit wonky though, I gotta say.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Told you this was one to watch out for. Looks like they didn't announce all their Ubi Art games yet either

Edit: never mind, Valiant hearts used to have a different name. Didn't realize that's the same game

BuzzJive

Fantastic.

Thank you Ubisoft for funding these types of games. I hope it will be a success and inspire other publishers to follow your example here.

Looks wonderful. I want to see more of the gameplay though--I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Odin Sphere.

I am glad to see comparisons to Grandia's battle system, however.

S-E should license this tech and give us another Mana game (Legend of Mana 2?) using this engine.

Infinite

I'm going to open a can of worms with this, but the industry (and us gamers) tend to apply "JRPG" incorrectly. JRPG is an industry coined term that was used to describe RPGs coming from Japan that has a strong emphasis on narrative with a lighter focus on mechanics. It's a misnomer that arose since we needed something to separate our hardcore PCRPGs based on D&D (what we call WRPGs) from the console style light RPGs coming from Japan (JRPGs). In fact, the "correct term" for JRPG IS "Light" or "Console Style" RPGs - RPGs that are far more focused on narrative with streamlined mechanics. That line has been blurred a lot in the last few years as both mechanics and narrative have been getting an equal focus. I don't mind people using the JRPG term, but I don't like it when people use it incorrectly.

If you're interested in knowing more about this history, I suggest two different video series on the subject:

The Real History of JRPGs/console style/Light RPG (Parts 1 and 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTjJTfJgwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN5-tKv6a3w

Rise of the RPG - A History
http://clanofthegraywolf.com/30/

I prefer Roo's (16 Bit Gems) videos more, but RPG Fanatic's videos are a little shorter and more to the point.

So what makes Child of Light a "JRPG"? Simple. It has simple, streamlined mechanics similar to past JRPGs, and it seems like it has a heavier focus on its storyline and narrative. That's basically all you need to be a Light RPG. On the flip side, take Skyrim. Yes, it has a story and narrative, but it's not the focus. The focus is on the mechanics and exploration (which are on the lighter side in Light RPGs). It's a series that was founded on PCRPG mechanics (i.e. D&D and similar mechanics), and even though The Elder Scrolls is now popular on consoles, it's very much still heavily into the PCRPG (or WRPG if you prefer).

original.0

Edit:
Oh and Child of Light looks AMAZING!

I disagree with that. Yes JRPGs are heavy in narrative but they also have a huge emphasis on their battle systems and thus are crammed with subsystems. Play any Tales game and even the recent final fantasy titles

Jarlaxle

Where can I give my money? I need to give them all of my monies right now.

JRPG mechanics with that beautiful art style. So good.

Proven

Not really feeling it, personally. Need to see more battle gameplay and such.

Same here. I'm probably in the minority but FF-style active time battle systems tend to bore me unless there's some other major game mechanic involved.

Top Bottom