• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

Finaika

CoL_Screen01.jpg

The girl's character design looks weird to me.

Pachael

Ubisoft are killing it with their smaller projects, they are on the way to being my favorite big publisher.

I'm flabbergasted and will look out for these both. Between that and the new Tex Murphy trailer I'm super hyped for the year ahead.

Dennis

Banned
What's so weird about it?
It looks like an illustrated fairy tales book for children, which I guess it's exactly what they were aiming to.

Exactly.

I don't get all the complaints about the art style.

It looks exactly like illustrations from a European fairy tale childrens book come to life - which is no doubt what they were going for.

Ryuuga

Banned
Exactly.

I don't get all the complaints about the art style.

It looks exactly like illustrations from a European fairy tale childrens book come to life - which is no doubt what they were going for.

You don't get complaints about an art style? That's like not understanding complaints about anything ever. It may be a style they're going for, but it's not free from criticism because of it. I think it looks fine though, but I also don't really like how she's rendered in-game.

UrbanRats

I wasn't super impressed with the drawings and the water colors. ( i liked the idea, just not much the execution).
However seeing it in motion, it looks very cool, actually.

Sentenza

I wasn't super impressed with the drawings and the water colors. ( i liked the idea, just not much the execution).
However seeing it in motion, it looks very cool, actually.

That's... almost the exact opposite of my impression, actually.
I love the simple and yet charming art style, but animations look a bit underwhelming.

Khaz

What makes it a JRPG? The fact it's not made in Japan or the fact it doesn't look like a JRPG?

The game looks amazing, but is it really just the ATB bar that's anchoring this thing to the JRPG moniker?

For the same reason you can eat chinese food outside of China.

It's all about the recipe. JRPG means turn-based battle-system on a static screen. It has been labeled as Japanese as it's where it originated and most games in the genre came from Japan devs. But you don't need to be Japanese to make japanese-rpg ;) You don't even have to use japanese-art (whatever that mean).

Piers

At a glance I'm not digging the art style. Compared to Rayman, it looks like concept art in the draft, early stages.

Goody

Love it. I will happily give this a chance on release day. Is this digital only or retail? I may have missed it since I only skimmed the thread.

For the same reason you can eat chinese food outside of China.

It's all about the recipe. JRPG means turn-based battle-system on a static screen. It has been labeled as Japanese as it's where it originated and most games in the genre came from Japan devs. But you don't need to be Japanese to make japanese-rpg ;) You don't even have to use japanese-art (whatever that mean).

But there have been plenty of Western RPGs in the past that... ah fuck it, this conversation always goes around in circles.

Sentenza

But there have been plenty of Western RPGs in the past that... ah fuck it, this conversation always goes around in circles.
Well, his attempt to summarize what defines a JRPG was a bit too strict, but generally speaking he's not wrong at all.
There have been tons of "western JRPGs" even in the past (Septerra Core, Anachronox, Summoner) and at the same time there are action RPGs from Japan that barely fits in the definition of "JRPG" (Dark Souls, to name the most obvious one, with a lead designer, Miyazaki, that explicitly claimed in an interview he doesn't like JRPGs too much).

these genres are not defined by their geographical provenience anymore, but from a subset of typical, recurring features that set the "recipe".

Usobuko

Banned
The most important question is price, I wish they went for a sensible target like Blood Dragon at $15. That is until they shown more playable characters, stages, content or anything which indicate higher production values.

Even if one does not like either the character design or background, at the very least there is a cohesiveness in its art direction. Neither one looks out of place when you put it together. Ubisoft dropped a lot of buzzword for this game, so I'm rather cautious about it. What does the creative director of Far Cry 3 exactly stand for this kind of games?

crazyo

Banned
The character design looks straight out of a random children's book. Maybe great for kids if it isn't too complicated. But it's not for me.

ScOULaris

That's a nice looking game they've got there. Has Ubisoft ever talked about licensing Ubi-Art to outside developers as middleware, or are they exclusively using it within their internal studios?

Well, his attempt to summarize what defines a JRPG was a bit too strict, but generally speaking he's not wrong at all.
There have been tons of "western JRPGs" even in the past (Septerra Core, Anachronox, Summoner) and at the same time there are action RPGs from Japan that barely fits in the definition of "JRPG" (Dark Souls, to name the most obvious one, with a lead designer, Miyazaki, that explicitly claimed in an interview he doesn't like JRPGs too much).

these genres are not defined by their geographical provenience anymore, but from a subset of typical, recurring features that set the "recipe".

Then people should just drop the J & W and use the actual gameplay as descriptors, then. Why not just call it "turn-based RPG" and call it a day. All the country of origin does now is just confuse people. Tales and Pokemon are both Japanese RPGs, but they don't play alike at all!

8byte

Banned
Wasn't paying attention and thought the opening line said "Child, touch yourself in bed".

Awful.

Looks fantastic though.

Top Bottom