• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

Jachaos

This looks slick and I'm pretty much in. Now, Wii U or PS4 version...decisions.

I'm getting this on Wii U, I don't see the PS4 version being much prettier and Off-TV this with headphones in bed before going to sleep is going to be perfectly soothing I feel.

Noogy

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...d&utm_campaign=Feed: PSBlog (PlayStation.Blog)

q2BQBWt.jpg

I wasn't really into this until I saw that it was motherfucking Grandia. So In. So very fucking in. I wonder why they hid the action bar in the trailer?

Yeah, I was already sold on this game, but this screenshot made this a day one purchase. The very idea that a publisher the size of Ubisoft would make something like this gives me renewed faith in the industry.

Hiding the UI is common for game trailers. Of course it sort of works against RPGs, since the combat IS the UI.

totowhoa

Banned
Jesus christ I had to listen to that first line four times before I realized she was saying "tuck yourself in bed." Each time I was re-listened, I thought "surely they're not saying that... one more time.."

I like the art style and music but definitely want to see more first.

Vire

Write-up from Kotaku:

The game—which is coming next year to PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and PC— is very much a turn-based JRPG. And no, there's not a red-clad pirate, drug sequence or exploding barrel in sight. It's a side-scrolling game, which makes for an interesting mix—it's one part platforming and puzzle solving, and one part turn-based combat. Oh, and there's minimal voice acting, and all of the dialogue is written in rhyming stanzas. (Nice!) It'll be chunky, for a downloadable game—Plourde said the story will clock in at 10-15 hours, with plenty of extras for new-game plus and other challenges.P

There's a small team making Child of Light—Yohalem put it at around 36. The other name I picked up to go with Plourde and Yohalem is their lead programmer, a woman named Brianna Code, which is about the best name for a programmer I've ever heard. Production has apparently been greatly aided by UbiArt Framework, an in-house art system (also used on the newer Rayman games and another lovely-looking new game called Valiant Hearts that I'll have more on here in a few minutes) that allows artists to toss concept art directly into the game. Child of Light looks as gorgeous in action as it does in this trailer.

Brokun

Initially I didn't like the look of the game from the screenshots. It makes a fantastic impression in motion though.

Day 1.

Zoe

Yeah, been reading some stuff from other sites, the lead designer saying his characters are based on Amano art. That's lovely, but again it doesn't make it a JRPG.
Just feels like Ubi wanted a buzz word attached to this for marketing purposes.

Seriously? I don't see that... at all.

Instro

Looks good, hopefully its not overly linear. Hard to tell atm given that the trailer mostly shows the character moving in a straight line.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When is the current gen version releasing ?

Kotaku article states "next gen" as next year, same for all versions ?

Wereroku

I'm getting this on Wii U, I don't see the PS4 version being much prettier and Off-TV this with headphones in bed before going to sleep is going to be perfectly soothing I feel.
PS4 for me and since i have a vita i get off TV play as well as best graphics.

szaromir

Banned
It's hilarious how Ubisoft consider 36 people working on a single project "a small team".
It actually sounds quite bloated for a project like this. Let's hope that means it's not going to be a charming-but-3-hours-long game and their prediction about 10-15 hours is correct.
Going from leading a team of 200+ working to one of sub 40 is a huge change and would classify as small. Besides, GAF has been bemoaning tha lack of mid-sized games for years now, maybe publishers will revive that model of development now that toolsets are that much more mature than they were 5 years ago.

Sentenza

Going from leading a team of 200+ working to one of sub 40
Yeah, but that doesn't change a thing.
200+ teams are ridiculously over-bloated, and 36 people on the same project in other companies would be enough for an "AAA game", not for a small, cute, side project.

I'm very glad about this direction Ubisoft is taking, but that doesn't change their tendency to inflate development costs to insane levels.

szaromir

Banned
I don't think their teamsizes are bloated, they do seem to prefer making games with large teams but in a short timeframe. Overall the company was profitable every single year in this passing generation, something you can tell about very few publishers.

As for this project specifically, you don't know if its size is at all comparable to your usual indie game - it can have a lot more unique assets and much greater scope, despite resembling at first glance a typical indie game.

wizzbang

Banned
Fuck.
I hate JRPG's but some of these games look so good.
I purchased Ni No Kuni and never played it after I heard about how JRPG the gameplay ends up ffffffffffff
Now I want to buy this :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck.
I hate JRPG's but some of these games look so good.
I purchased Ni No Kuni and never played it after I heard about how JRPG the gameplay ends up ffffffffffff
Now I want to buy this :(
Ni No Kuni has terrible gameplay, as do most modern JRPGs. Don't judge all JRPGs by that game. I think Child of Light will have more of the "classic" turn-based jRPG combat, which I desperately miss.

peakish

It looks stunning, and I'm glad to see more small projects like this from Ubisoft rather than more AAA wank, which makes me feel a bit grinchy when I say that I'm worried about the content. I'll have to see and read more about the battle system before being convinced by it, it being an active one isn't really enough at this point. The blurb about skill trees sounds good, but how much development is there room for in a 10-15 hour runtime?

At the price point it shouldn't be an issue to buy, but for some reason I feel more inclined to criticise a shallow JRPG from Ubi than some dumb FPS.

Top Bottom