• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
uPlay not only exists, but is actively growing more and more central to Ubisoft's games.

Don't be surprised if it's integrated into their next-gen titles.

This is what I thought, then I will continue to ignore the games of Ubisoft.

Inspired by. The IGN video says that the combat is like Grandia so yeah sidescrolling JRPG style. With skill trees and party members and the like.

Yeah, been reading some stuff from other sites, the lead designer saying his characters are based on Amano art. That's lovely, but again it doesn't make it a JRPG.
Just feels like Ubi wanted a buzz word attached to this for marketing purposes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I thought the trailer was a bit charmless myself. The art-style is distinctive but a bit unappealing to me, and the music left me cold, which could explain my disinterest.

Are they aiming at a $60 price? Or can we expect maybe $30?

Hopefully we can EXPECT a cheaper price point than $60... Blood Dragon proved to be a huge success for Ubi-Soft (breaking 1,000,000 copies sold on the 8th)... Not at all bad for a $15 game.

So, hopefully Ubi has figured out that, yeah, gamers are willing to jump into a release that cost LESS than $70 million to develop.

AppleMIX

30-40 dollars seems like a good price (depending on the amount of content of course).

PokéKong;81011117 said:
Hmmm I'm interested by not impressed yet. Yeah it looks like a fancy beautiful well made game, but nothing looks very creative, lots of generic fantasy stuff, and that combat seemed real run of the mill. I can't think of a one person party turn-based battle system that's turned out well.

It's not a one person party.

One of the screen shots (combat) clearly shows 2 party members.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sounds like an interesting game but that trailer did nothing for me. Same with Valiant Hearts.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Whoa, pretty. Hope the gameplay's good, 'cause... I really really want this to be good. It could mean more 2D goodness for the future too.

PokéKong;81011117 said:
I can't think of a one person party turn-based battle system that's turned out well.
Panzer Dragoon Saga?

SparkTR

Ubisoft have been pretty great lately, I couldn't care less about their AAA releases but their downloadable stuff has me intrigued. It's also cool that they're investing in both a love letter to JRPGs (this) and a love letter to WRPGs (M&MX).

Tu101uk

Inspired by. The IGN video says that the combat is like Grandia so yeah sidescrolling JRPG style. With skill trees and party members and the like.
OK, that's peaked my interest a bit more. I already liked what was shown in the trailer (really haunting, and I'm getting Valkyrie Profile vibes from the platforming JRPG stuff), but if there are influences from the IP gauge system from my favourite RPG series, then I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled.

I'm guessing it's the "knowing when your opponent will attack" bit mentioned? I loved that aspect about turn-based battle systems like in Grandia and FFX, adds another layer of tactics to the whole thing.

Colour me intrigued, I guess.

Not sure if the game is something for me, it's seems like too much of a fairy tale to be really interesting, but it sure is a good looking game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-You can interrupt enemy attacks by timing
-You can play co-op with a second player controlling the flame fairy dude

I might be alone in this but while some parts look nice others look like a cheap and low budget indie game to me. The monsters are hardly animated at all.

And why JRPG? Side scrolling and only 10HP, there's no J in this RPG.

Sentenza

I'm frankly not sure what you are trying to claim.

First, this isn't strictly a JRPG, they just claimed inspiration from some JRPG battle system.
Second, you are almost implying that "10 HP" would be something typical of WRPGs, which is just not true.
In fact, I'm not sure how the number of HPs should tell anything about the genre and provenience. At most it's related with the kind of ruleset/balance they are going for.

AppleMIX

I might be alone in this but while some parts look nice others look like a cheap and low budget indie game to me. The monsters are hardly animated at all.

JRPG/WRPG is a completely pointless classification.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The B-Roll footage from Ubisoft is from the PS4 version (or PC with PS4 prompts), 1080p30. It's still beautiful and very well animated at 30 fps, but let's hope for 60!

Durante

Now this is something I'll get day 1.

Please let the PC version be not infested with UPlay. Do they still do that with games?
Uplay really is totally inoffensive these days. It just sits there and leaves you alone. I have no issue with it.

Sentenza

Uplay really is totally inoffensive these days. It just sits there and leaves you alone. I have no issue with it.
well, it's much more harmless than in the past, sure, but I'm still not particularly happy of having to rely on Ubisoft's shitty account system.

A service that doesn't even leave you the freedom of changing your email doesn't exactly strike me as well thought and reliable in the long run, for instance, and having every single publisher trying to push their own store/service on you it's not something I'm particularly happy about.
I would gladly do without it.

Top Bottom