• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

iavi

I'm having trouble even thinking that games could look bad using this engine it's incredible!

Watching that Valiant Hearts vid has me seriously wondering if Ubi-Art might be my favorite gaming related bit of tech to come out in a long time.

I don't know how it's doing it, but it has Ubisoft exploring projects I NEVER would have expected from not only them, but any AAA publisher in this day & age.

Child of Light is right at the top of my most anticipated list--right above persona 5, and Valiant Hearts isn't much farther down.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Okay, just watched the trailer. This is near the top of my "most anticipated" list.

Thoughts/speculation on differences between current gen and next-gen versions?

Enk

makes good threads.
That's one slick looking game. 2d and turn based! Kind of gives me a Valkyrie Profile vibe.

TriGen

I know I've heard them say they were aiming for holiday 2013 in the past, but that trailer says 2014 so I'm guessing early next year we'll see this. It would be something if Ubisoft releases two RPGs in Q1 2014. (That's if South Park gets moved out of this holiday too, which I suspect it will.)

Not a fan of turn based combat, but the art is fantastic. Hopefully it still has a good bit of platforming segments because it looks smooth in that department.

Gambit

Awesome. So glad Ubi is using the Rayman Engine for more games now. It's just so beautiful!

My Wii U is ready. (Actually the light floating around seemed similar to Murphy. Asymmetric Multiplayer again?)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Awesome. So glad Ubi is using the Rayman Engine for more games now. It's just so beautiful!

My Wii U is ready. (Actually the light floating around seemed similar to Murphy. Asymmetric Multiplayer again?)

could be, but seems not only platform but also jrpg, in some aspects...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Now this looks a bit more lively than Valiant Hearts (which sounds like a Vandal Hearts spinoff to me, ha.)

More animated (maybe that hair is cheating a bit?), with an interesting mix of styles, and use of 2D for 3D trickery. Our little lady has some nice, charming motion, and the battle system looks much unlike what you expect in this type of 2D game.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one. The innocent female protag and fantasy land on the edge of nightmares give a feeling like that of classic gaming.

Ken

I wish her character's model's face closer resembled the character potrait than...whatever it's currently resembling.

Things like this, Valiant Hearts, the Rayman games and publishing stuff like Trials and Gunslinger, are why Ubi is arguably the most interesting publisher out there, it's not just AC at all.

PaulloDEC

Looks pretty sweet to me, a nice mix of 2D and 3D by the looks of it. Not sure about the gameplay yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Seik

Banned
What?! Another Ubi game using the Rayman Engine?

I mean, that's actually great.

Fuck, it seems good as well. O_O My wallet will cry...

I feel like I can't look at anything about this in an unbiased fashion because this is Ubisoft making a JRPG! Seriously, this better be good and do well, because I want more high profile western developers doing these.

What makes it a JRPG? The fact it's not made in Japan or the fact it doesn't look like a JRPG?

The game looks amazing, but is it really just the ATB bar that's anchoring this thing to the JRPG moniker?

PokéKong

Hmmm I'm interested by not impressed yet. Yeah it looks like a fancy beautiful well made game, but nothing looks very creative, lots of generic fantasy stuff, and that combat seemed real run of the mill. I can't think of a one person party turn-based battle system that's turned out well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Please let the PC version be infested with UPlay. Do they still do that with games?

uPlay not only exists, but is actively growing more and more central to Ubisoft's games.

Don't be surprised if it's integrated into their next-gen titles.

ShdwDrake

Banned
What makes it a JRPG? The fact it's not made in Japan or the fact it doesn't look like a JRPG?

The game looks amazing, but is it really just the ATB bar that's anchoring this thing to the JRPG moniker?

Inspired by. The IGN video says that the combat is like Grandia so yeah sidescrolling JRPG style. With skill trees and party members and the like.

Glad to see Ubisoft not getting caught up in the proven trends. This looks visually striking, and quite interesting conceptually. It definitely has earned a spot on my radar.

Top Bottom