• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light trailer/screens (Ubisoft JRPG, Rayman Engine, PC/360/PS3/WiiU/XB1/PS4)

ced

Visually looks nice but ugh jrpg, I just don't have the patience for that anymore. Maybe if it were a hybrid arpg / jrpg but it looks old school.

The game is beautiful!

iEm0cGAmiiFXn.gif

isy7xeZAwBAiB.gif

UrbanRats

That's... almost the exact opposite of my impression, actually.
I love the simple and yet charming art style, but animations look a bit underwhelming.

Seeing the two characters close up and the backgrounds, i'm not impressed by the water colors and drawings, however seeing it in motion made me realize how it must be difficult to pull something like this off and having it animated.
That i find impressive.

If i saw an illustrated book with those drawings, though, i'd put it back on the shelf.
And yes i know it's going for the child fairytale art-style, before someone mentions the obvious.

Retro

I really dig the illustrated art style, but the instant I saw it has RPG combat, I'm afraid I was out. I don't begrudge JRPG fans getting some love (I know how rough the pickings are lately), but I do wish this were a platformer or something. I don't have the patience for the genre anymore, though I might check it out if they manage to do away with some of the archaic 'staples' of the genre.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice to see some true creativity from Ubi again. I wonder if we have Rayman Origins to thank for that? Both this and Valiant Hearts look amazing.

sense

they probably will announce vita version closer to release like rayman legends. no reason not to when it is using same engine or they might announce when psvita tv is formally announced for US and EU.

Rattus

Neo Member
Looks great, glad it's available for Wii U as well. By the way, I also heard narrator say, "touch yourself child"

Now what I wouldn't give for a Zelda 2: Adventure of Link sequel. Nintendo is sitting on so much gold.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game looks like the bee's knees. God it looks so good. I love UbiArt, so it's good to see more people using it.

Being able to interrupt enemy attacks is a plus. Though I wish the enemy animations had more oomph to them like the main character's animations have.

Micerider

Looking great. No thread for the other Ubi Art game "Soldat Inconnu" annouced today as well (puzzle/adventure game). I'm at work and on mobile so I did not create it.

I want it I want it! Will get for my Wii U. I sure hope there's a real box and manual, I hate these digital only games. Especially RPGs, they belong on a shelf with other rare games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
THOSE GIFS oh god...
Can't wait to play it on tv screen of course, but also on the gamepad (for many reasons)
Hopefully they'll have also some touch controls
Disappointed by the lack of Wii U version for the other WWI Ubi-art game, but happy about this that, to me, seems the best of today's announcments

EDIT:
There are no random encounters in Child of Light; rather, you see every enemy within the environment and, upon touching them, are thrust into battle

YAY!
Don't know yet if it will be DD only as the WWI game or digital

Lijik

looks fantastic! seems like some of the character assets (most notably the main character) are heavily stylized 3d models while others (the monsters) are purely 2d. of course thats just what it looks like to me, i could be wrong!

loving these Ubiart games!

stalker

Looking great. No thread for the other Ubi Art game "Soldat Inconnu" annouced today as well (puzzle/adventure game). I'm at work and on mobile so I did not create it.

we have a thread for that, it has a different name in english (valiant hearts I think)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks pretty but I don't know if I'm interested in playing as a little girl.

Durante

Then people should just drop the J & W and use the actual gameplay as descriptors, then. Why not just call it "turn-based RPG" and call it a day.
"Turn-based RPG" doesn't have the same descriptive value. That could describe e.g. The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is certainly not a JRPG.

I think Tuco said it best, it's a descriptor of a certain recipe of making a game, and it's useful as such -- like any other genre name. The actual origin of the name (the "J" and "W" part) is just vestigial.

dezzy8

Ubisoft has been pushing a lot of me buttons recently. All they have to do is show some next gen Rainbow Six and they're set.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
"Turn-based RPG" doesn't have the same descriptive value. That could describe e.g. The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is certainly not a JRPG.

I think Tuco said it best, it's a descriptor of a certain recipe of making a game, and it's useful as such -- like any other genre name. The actual origin of the name (the "J" and "W" part) is just vestigial.

Other than being turn-based, what would make this side-scrolling RPG like a "JRPG"?

Prax

Beautiful~!
It's like.. if Zelda herself got to be the main character of a LoZ game (get getting the sword, fairy travelling around with her, and she gets magic--it being turn-based is also better for me lol) and that's what I really wanted for a long time, so this is awesome~!

Will be anticipating this game.

I think the connotation that it's a JRPG means that there will be a lot of stat-based level progression things involved, NPCs to talk to, equipment management, focus on the character/story, and just in general a different vibe from most wrpgs.

Einbroch

Banned
Not liking the art style, the faces just look strange to me. Combat could be great or boring, just depends on the implementation.

I'll keep my eye on this one, though.

ultron87

Obviously beautiful graphics.

Hopefully the gameplay/combat isn't super simple or anything like that. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this.

PG2G

Graphically it looks great, not sure what I think about the game mechanics. It looks like a very basic 2D platformer with turn based combat. Doesn't seem very RPGish at all to me.

wouwie

Looks great. Unfortunately, i'm not a fan of turn based combat/(j)rpg at all which is a shame. But i'm willing to give it a try nonetheless. Got to support games like this. It's fantastic that Ubisoft is investing in games like this.

Durante

Other than being turn-based, what would make this side-scrolling RPG like a "JRPG"?
Well, for example a linear narrative structure or a lack of conversation trees. The fixed character/enemy positions in combat.

Also, I believe there have been more sidescrolling JRPGs than sidescrolling WRPGs, so even the perspective points more to that sub-genre.

But does CoL really have this "recipe"? Art and tone-wise the game is clearly inspired by european-style fairy tales, and a side-scrolling, turn-based RPG is not something that occurs often on either side of the planet (like, the only examples I can think up are the first two Valkyrie Profile games and The Stick of Truth, the latter of which isn't even released yet). At face face value this game doesn't really seem to have anything significantly "J"-like in its presentation at all.

Top Bottom