• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChileGAF |OT| CTM weon que pulento el thread!

Those "Slums" are mostly of foreigners.

That's the result of our social segregation of the latin foreigners and xenophobia. We suck in that department
Yeah I know. My best friend is from Anto so I know the situation, especially in the north. I got to know the Bolivian cleaner here in my hostal and she was telling me her story of when she arrived in Chile and sleeping on the streets her first month here with no help - go figure the first person to give her a helping hand was a Peruvian who had been living here for a few years.

I've had nothing but the greatest of hospitality in my time here from Chileans, but I know the difference being Canadian versus Bolivian or Peruvian here in Chile. This Bolivian lady already invited me to her house for lunch and to get to know her son.

This is not scientific by any means, but in the opinion of many gringos ive come across here say Chileans are definitely the most cold and Bolivians/Peruvians have more warmth to them.

Altazor

I stopped in Antofagasta and actually liked what I saw. Everyone always tells me how shit it is. I will say that it has shown the side of Chile I have yet to see on a grand scale - the poverty. There are some big "slum" areas in Antofagasta.

Don't listen to that people :p

As a northerner I'll say though that the higher parts of Antofagasta are clearly the poorest parts of the city... and it has been that way for quite a while. Hell, even when I was a kid and traveled to Antofagasta with my family (I'm talking more than 20 years ago), those parts pretty much looked the same than today.

On the other hand, the coastal border is much improved these days. And it looks quite nice.

Fake Edit: there's a lot of xenophobic bullshit too, sadly. It's a shame that a lot of dipshits still believe Peruvians and Bolivians (and now Colombians) deserve to be belittled and mocked by who they are. Disgraceful.

I'm from Antofagasta and I have to say that I don't think the city is shit, but it's not beautiful either, just ok, which is fine I guess, considering the city is about the mining cluster (just like Calama).

Regarding the xenophobia, well... every place has a fair amount of scumbags, and Antofagasta is not the exception, but in my opinion it's not really a big problem, I mean... you don't see news about peruvians/bolivians/colombians being attacked here.

It's more like those idiots think peruvians/bolivians/colombians should go back to their countries cause they are prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, etc.

Regarding the "warm" factor :p, I'm convinced (by experience) that chileans from the South & North are way more warmer than the ones from Santiago and the surroundings.

It's not like they are bad people, but they tend to be much more cold and indifferent to others. Ask anyone from regiones and they will tell you when you go to Santiago (especially when it's for the the first time), santiaguinos seem cold and not very friendly people (though, when you socialize more, you realize most of them are cool and nice guys/gals).

PS: I'm writing in that BKN style, so you can feel at home :D

Kandinsky

You guys are missing the important bit, how the hell can you get stuck in a 4 bed room with 3 chicks, tell us your secret, omgz

I'm from Antofagasta and I have to say that I don't think the city is shit, but it's not beautiful either, just ok, which is fine I guess, considering the city is about the mining cluster (just like Calama).

Regarding the xenophobia, well... every place has a fair amount of scumbags, and Antofagasta is not the exception, but in my opinion it's not really a big problem, I mean... you don't see news about peruvians/bolivians/colombians being attacked here.

It's more like those idiots think peruvians/bolivians/colombians should go back to their countries cause they are prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, etc.

Regarding the "warm" factor :p, I'm convinced (by experience) that chileans from the South & North are way more warmer than the ones from Santiago and the surroundings.

It's not like they are bad people, but they tend to be much more cold and indifferent to others. Ask anyone from regiones and they will tell you when you go to Santiago (especially when it's for the the first time), santiaguinos seem cold and not very friendly people (though, when you socialize more, you realize most of them are cool and nice guys/gals).

I died with that phrase.

Damn, nights are getting colder in Santiago. First amigdalitis of 2016 :/

Altazor

plus, they're always stressed about anything - to the point they are quite rude at times.

And don't even get me started bout VIEJAS VELOCIRRAPTOR on the metro ;)

Damn, nights are getting colder in Santiago. First amigdalitis of 2016 :/

This is not rare when we are that stage when summer is saying goodbye. Some days are hot yet during the night it gets cold.

Me and my brother suffered a lot from amigdalitis when kids. Literally, we had penicilin injections like every 2 months, during autumn/winter. Our asses looked like a colador O_O

plus, they're always stressed about anything - to the point they are quite rude at times.

And don't even get me started bout VIEJAS VELOCIRRAPTOR on the metro ;)

Bwahahahaha, tell me more, please. I want to know :D

FuuRe

So it's pizza night tonight

Anyone from southern Santiago (The Flowered, High Bridge, Saint Bernard, Maipo's drawer, The Painted... er, The Farm) that know of a pizza joint worth paying a visit to?

Funny times translating commune names

Also kindly check the first post, I did a super awesome image for the thread

Javier

In Concepción, it's Muttos Pizza for pizza, Hamburguesas Rich for burgers, and Fuente Alemana for all other sandwiches. Everything else is inferior.

You lie. Papa Johns is good nowhere. Chileans think Applebees and TGIF are good though so not surprised Papa Johns is also praised.

#FightMe #ElitistGringoQl

Applebees was good once upon a time. What happened to it it's what happens to pretty much all American franchises. Slowly the quality and standards start to deteriorate, until it's a shell of its former self. They invariably start cost cutting measures that kill any semblance of quality.

The worst offender by far is Denni's. When it first opened it was pretty decent, it had 24 hour service (something pretty rare over here). After the first shipment of sourdough bread ran out they simply replaced it with regular sliced bread in the sandwiches that used it, without even adding a bit of extra seasoning, just a plain white bread. The seasoned fries were changed by regular fried with a disgusting powder for which they have the nerve to charge you like $1.500 more. I don't think it opens 24 hours anymore, but I haven't checked since you'd have to pay me to eat there nowadays.

Same thing has happened to TGI Fridays, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday (Always ask if the ribs are imported or local, they'll never be imported), all fast food restaurants with the recent exception of McDonald's.

McDonald's is interesting. It faced the same issues as the other fast food joints. Food was horrid because they made it several hours before they served it to you. The only way you could get something halfway decent was to make it special (like no pickles, no onions), so they were forced to make it on the spot. Fries would still be horrible obviously. Sometimes when you went to their drivethrough, at something like 5 in the morning they would tell you no special orders and you would know they were serving you shit they made 10 am the day before and couldn't sell. Just a total shit show. But recently that has changed. I'm thinking people from corporate came down on each franchise about maximum time on the window for food and other quality standards because now it's much, much better. I mean it's still McDonald's so it's not like it's good, but now it's at least edible and way better than other fast food restaurants.

A good quick test to know if the restaurant is shit is if they serve Pepsi or if they've made the switch to Pepsi. Pepsi in Chile is just about the worst of the worst. It's not even close to the American version. It's also much cheaper, so restaurants looking to cut cost will make the switch, even though the quality is much lower. Applebees recently made the switch and it has gone to shit in recent years. So did Burger King.

Popeye's is still pretty good, since it's relatively new in the country (about 2 years I think). It's infinitely better than KFC, which I wouldn't feed to my dog, let alone a human being. It's worse than McDonald's was at its worst about quality standards, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Still though, Popeye's standards have started to slip. It's good if you go at a busy time, lie 2 pm were their rotation is high. If you go later they'll leave their chicken out there to die for hours. Be sure to ask they make you new ones and be willing to wait the 15 minutes otherwise it's shit.

Johnny Rockets standards have also started to slip, but it's much less pronounced. I would say has about 3 years in the country and the quality is almost as good (but not quite) as when it first arrived. Still the service is pretty good and they always have a manager that will fix any issue you have promptly, but still I have received stale fries, something that wouldn't have happened on 2013.

Well that was longer than I initially expected, but it will hopefully provide some perspective on the state of fast food and chain restaurants in Chile.

Edit: As for pizza chains.

Pizza Hut used to be really good, now it's impossible to get them to put motherfucking sauce on their pies. I've asked repeatedly and even offer to pay more, yet the pizzas arrive and there's no sauce to be found (like it's evaporated) or they throw a bucket of sauce on top of it, which is just ridiculous. After that last experience I haven't ordered Pizza Hut in a couple of years, so I don't know if it's seen a McDonald's like improvement.

Papa Johns seems to be about the same, but for some reason I'm really tired of it. It's probably the cheapest option with the discount from El Mercurio. Domino's is not very good, but the one I order. Given the decrease in quality, I'm ordering a lot less pizzas than before. I live a few blocks from the Tip y Tap in San Crescente (among the best in the franchise), so I do a lot of my takeout from there.

Their Churrasco Italiano with Tenderloin is among the best and it's pretty big (It's 8 lucas though). If you order fries make sure to ask them extra crispy, otherwise they'll be raw.

Applebees was good once upon a time. What happened to it it's what happens to pretty much all American franchises. Slowly the quality and standards start to deteriorate, until it's a shell of its former self. They invariably start cost cutting measures that kill any semblance of quality.

The worst offender by far is Denni's. When it first opened it was pretty decent, it had 24 hour service (something pretty rare over here). After the first shipment of sourdough bread ran out they simply replaced it with regular sliced bread in the sandwiches that used it, without even adding a bit of extra seasoning, just a plain white bread. The seasoned fries were changed by regular fried with a disgusting powder for which they have the nerve to charge you like $1.500 more. I don't think it opens 24 hours anymore, but I haven't checked since you'd have to pay me to eat there nowadays.

Same thing has happened to TGI Fridays, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday (Always ask if the ribs are imported or local, they'll never be imported), all fast food restaurants with the recent exception of McDonald's.

McDonald's is interesting. It faced the same issues as the other fast food joints. Food was horrid because they made it several hours before they served it to you. The only way you could get something halfway decent was to make it special (like no pickles, no onions), so they were forced to make it on the spot. Fries would still be horrible obviously. Sometimes when you went to their drivethrough, at something like 5 in the morning they would tell you no special orders and you would know they were serving you shit they made 10 am the day before and couldn't sell. Just a total shit show. But recently that has changed. I'm thinking people from corporate came down on each franchise about maximum time on the window for food and other quality standards because now it's much, much better. I mean it's still McDonald's so it's not like it's good, but now it's at least edible and way better than other fast food restaurants.

A good quick test to know if the restaurant is shit is if they serve Pepsi or if they've made the switch to Pepsi. Pepsi in Chile is just about the worst of the worst. It's not even close to the American version. It's also much cheaper, so restaurants looking to cut cost will make the switch, even though the quality is much lower. Applebees recently made the switch and it has gone to shit in recent years. So did Burger King.

Popeye's is still pretty good, since it's relatively new in the country (about 2 years I think). It's infinitely better than KFC, which I wouldn't feed to my dog, let alone a human being. It's worse than McDonald's was at its worst about quality standards, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Still though, Popeye's standards have started to slip. It's good if you go at a busy time, lie 2 pm were their rotation is high. If you go later they'll leave their chicken out there to die for hours. Be sure to ask they make you new ones and be willing to wait the 15 minutes otherwise it's shit.

Johnny Rockets standards have also started to slip, but it's much less pronounced. I would say has about 3 years in the country and the quality is almost as good (but not quite) as when it first arrived. Still the service is pretty good and they always have a manager that will fix any issue you have promptly, but still I have received stale fries, something that wouldn't have happened on 2013.

Well that was longer than I initially expected, but it will hopefully provide some perspective on the state of fast food and chain restaurants in Chile.

Edit: As for pizza chains.

Pizza Hut used to be really good, now it's impossible to get them to put motherfucking sauce on their pies. I've asked repeatedly and even offer to pay more, yet the pizzas arrive and there's no sauce to be found (like it's evaporated) or they throw a bucket of sauce on top of it, which is just ridiculous. After that last experience I haven't ordered Pizza Hut in a couple of years, so I don't know if it's seen a McDonald's like improvement.

Papa Johns seems to be about the same, but for some reason I'm really tired of it. It's probably the cheapest option with the discount from El Mercurio. Domino's is not very good, but the one I order. Given the decrease in quality, I'm ordering a lot less pizzas than before. I live a few blocks from the Tip y Tap in San Crescente (among the best in the franchise), so I do a lot of my takeout from there.

Their Churrasco Italiano with Tenderloin is among the best and it's pretty big (It's 8 lucas though). If you order fries make sure to ask them extra crispy, otherwise they'll be raw.
This is true. Someone told me Corona (low tier beer to begin with) has somehow changed now in Chile? Like it is made here now and not imported and it tastes completely different (worse maybe?) than the Mexican made Corona.

Also 8 lucas for a churrasco? Who do you think I am? Farkas?

I had the best churrasco ever in San Fernando. 3 lucas.

I had no idea Denny's and Popeye's was in Chile. Never seen them. I get a laugh seeing Chucke Cheese here though even in the smallest of towns. It used to be huge in north america in the 90's but apparently it is thriving in Chile.

Pizza from chains usually sucks anywhere in the world. Golfo di Napoli has some good pizza in Santiago. I stick to private businesses like that for pizza usually.

In saying all this - I'm not stuck up to the point where I won't eat at Doggis like some of my friends. Fuck that noise. Doggis chicken wraps (they basically throw 4-5 pollo nuggets inside lol) are decent and cheap.

FuuRe

You know what the hell was a huge deception for me? Wendy's

Felt like a Burger King spinoff

(BK is great but i expected more, some people hyped it up a lot to me)

Altazor

Eh, I like Papa Johns. I think they're probably the best "chain pizzas" around... maybe with PizzaPizza a couple of years ago (though I haven't eaten them in a while).

As for other junk food - I've been to Popeye's twice (hey criesofthepast, it's on Metro Pedro de Valdivia in Providencia, just to the side of the Mamut Restaurant there) and I liked it. I'm not a junk food snob though, by any means. Hell, I even enjoy Burger King sometimes: their Stacker a couple of years ago was fucking AWESOME.
KFC on the other hand... dunno if it got better, but there was a time (maybe after 2010 or thereabouts) when it went from "eh, decent" to "holy shit this is sad". I stopped going there after a while 'cause I really felt bad/guilty about it, it was like I wasn't getting any satisfaction out of it.

Oh, and you haven't lived your life to the fullest extent if you haven't filled your stomach with shit bought at one of those carts in Pio Nono, just in front of my Alma Mater (U de Chile's law school). Back when I was a simple undergrad student, there were only two of them - now there's like 5. We used to call one of them "Tía Castrol's" considering the quality of the oil in which they fried their shit
KuGsj.gif

Disclaimer: I ate there lots of times for years and never got sick. Not once. One of my friends wasn't so lucky though
KuGsj.gif

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Has anyone gone to Cecinas Soler in Santiago? Because their Lomitos in Curicó are the GOAT.

For fast food, I'll go to Juan Maestro if it's available; I can get great juice instead of coke, and the mayo is great there.

If not, I'll just go to McDonalds and buy whatever is cheap.

For Pizzas, if I have time, I do that myself; I've found out I'm not a bad cook and the dough turns out great. If I don't have as much time, I'll get a prebaked pizza and put ingredients on it, or if I'm lazy, a simple cheese and ham pizza from the supermarket, the less things they have, the better.

If all above fails, Papa Johns or Pizza Hut since those are close to home. Telepizza is a capital sin to me.

ElFly

Gotta agree on Pepsi being a marker of lower quality.

The exception is Burger King that somehow I've always experienced as slightly better than McDonalds, yet they've served Pepsi as far as I can remember.

ElFly

What I enjoy more about the Pepsi / Coke rivalry in Chile, is when I ask for coke and the waiters will just answer "no, here we work the CCU".

Motherfucker like I have to keep track of which company bottles what.

For whatever reason Pepsi Soda Fountains will have Pepsi, Pepsi Light, Bilz, Pap, maaaybe Canada Dry and motherfucking Mirinda Orange, which is disgusting.

Has anyone gone to Cecinas Soler in Santiago? Because their Lomitos in Curicó are the GOAT.

For fast food, I'll go to Juan Maestro if it's available; I can get great juice instead of coke, and the mayo is great there.

If not, I'll just go to McDonalds and buy whatever is cheap.

For Pizzas, if I have time, I do that myself; I've found out I'm not a bad cook and the dough turns out great. If I don't have as much time, I'll get a prebaked pizza and put ingredients on it, or if I'm lazy, a simple cheese and ham pizza from the supermarket, the less things they have, the better.

If all above fails, Papa Johns or Pizza Hut since those are close to home. Telepizza is a capital sin to me.

I've been to Soler. The lomitos are great, different that everywhere else. It's more like ham than an actual lomito, but it's awesome. There's one in Los Militares. Definitely worth a visit.

Juan Maestro is terrible. They don't live up to the name at all. Telepizza is indeed awful. Once I got a piece of glass from a bottle inside the pizza. Truly top notch stuff.

Gotta agree on Pepsi being a marker of lower quality.

The exception is Burger King that somehow I've always experienced as slightly better than McDonalds, yet they've served Pepsi as far as I can remember.

Burger King used to serve Coke and right around the time they made the switch it started going to shit. I'd say McDonald's is way better nowadays.

What I enjoy more about the Pepsi / Coke rivalry in Chile, is when I ask for coke and the waiters will just answer "no, here we work the CCU".

Motherfucker like I have to keep track of which company bottles what.

For whatever reason Pepsi Soda Fountains will have Pepsi, Pepsi Light, Bilz, Pap, maaaybe Canada Dry and motherfucking Mirinda Orange, which is disgusting.

The also have 7up, which still sucks.

ElFly

I'll vouch for Juan Maestro.

I cannot resist a Mechada sandwich.

If only they made a cheese tomato sandwich :(

Burger King used to serve Coke and right around the time they made the switch it started going to shit.

I honestly don't remember this.

The also have 7up, which still sucks.

Oh god I know.

Also, Pepsi Soda machines will almost always have one or two flavors that don't work. I guess the cheapening aspect of Pepsi restaurants is true.

I knew a girl that liked Pepsi better than Coke. It was one of our few disagreements, to be honest
3AQmK.gif
In my opinion this is worth breaking up over.

The girl I'm seeing now is the best because she shares my love for coca cola and none of that light shit. That is a real woman.

Yah Juan Maestro is what I'd consider good fast food although they aren't really fast whenever I go there.
You know what the hell was a huge deception for me? Wendy's

Felt like a Burger King spinoff

(BK is great but i expected more, some people hyped it up a lot to me)
Wait do we have Wendy's here? Wendy's in Canada is considered like a step above Burger King and McDonalds.

Of the big 3 I'd say Wendys>>>BK>>>McDonalds.

Subway I'm not sure if I've had it in Chile but it is god awful in Canada. It used to be amazing maybe 10 years ago but more franchising turned it to shit. Same with McDonalds. There is like one actual non-franchised McDonald's owned location in Toronto and the difference would probably shock you. There can actually be a difference in McDonalds quality believe it or not.

oh man, thing is we don't talk to each other anymore (sadly). Not because of Pepsi though, but still... I would've tolerated her being on Team Pepsi if things had been different. Shit happens :p
My ex never drank soda. When pondering whether I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, this was a big con in giant bolded text on my pros/cons list. And she always ordered water in restaurants. Sorry but I will never get along with people who order water in restaurants. Water is free. I ain't paying 1.500+ for a bottle of water. 👀

Speaking of water being free. Can you ask for a glass of tap water here in Chile? In North America it is pretty common everywhere.

Javier

Not sure if minority opinion but I like the sandwiches in Domino's Pizza. Basically pizza filling inside bread.

I like Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa Johns almost equally, but Telepizza is just awful. Pretty sure the only reason it exists is because it's so cheap, as most customers are college guys who buy pizza by the bulk.

EDIT: I don't think restaurants are even allowed to charge for tap water. Same thing with ice.

Not sure if minority opinion but I like the sandwiches in Domino's Pizza. Basically pizza filling inside bread.

I like Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa Johns almost equally, but Telepizza is just awful. Pretty sure the only reason it exists is because it's so cheap, as most customers are college guys who buy pizza by the bulk.

EDIT: I don't think restaurants are even allowed to charge for tap water. Same thing with ice.

My wife loves those sandwiches. I've tried them and they're pretty good, probably better than their pizza.

As for asking for tap water, I usually prefer restaurants that offer soda refills, since I drink a lot (like at least 3 cans per meal, which can get expensive quickly). They looooove me, since I ask for at least 8 refills, but usually much more. In true Chilean fashion most restaurants will use small glasses and then take a long time to serve those refills, but I digress. In those restaurants my wife usually ask for "soda", which is what we call the carbonated water you get from those machines, without the flavor. Most restaurants won't charge for that, but some will, which is utter bullshit, since it's essentially tap water. Also most waiters will be utterly confused by that order and will try with all their might to push mineral water (that has no refill). You just have to calmly tell them to shove it.

Goli

Wendy's disappointed me too, it was honestly such crap. Might have to give it another chance someday but I definitely don't have a good image of them. Doesn't help that when I went some guy had a huge meltdown and started punching someone because supposedly he had skipped a line.

I'm fucking dead. Rode from San Pedro through the dirt winding up and down hill path - crossing rivers and getting soaked - 25km in total (a very difficult 25km) from 12am until now 430am.

So damn beautiful with the full moon lighting up the valley. We are lucky to live in a country with such beauty.

Altazor

I'm fucking dead. Rode from San Pedro through the dirt winding up and down hill path - crossing rivers and getting soaked - 25km in total (a very difficult 25km) from 12am until now 430am.

So damn beautiful with the full moon lighting up the valley. We are lucky to live in a country with such beauty.

fuck what everybody else says
mostly guys from Santiago and the south
, desert sunsets are incredibly beautiful. Especially 'cause the colors of the desert change to a beautiful, soft shade of purple mixed with brown and cream. It's incredible.

So, guys... any plans for the weekend? You guys religious or not?

fuck what everybody else says
mostly guys from Santiago and the south
, desert sunsets are incredibly beautiful. Especially 'cause the colors of the desert change to a beautiful, soft shade of purple mixed with brown and cream. It's incredible.

So, guys... any plans for the weekend? You guys religious or not?

I'm not religious, so I don't follow any tradition. I plan to go to a restaurant tonight with some friends and just have fun on the beach, on the weekend.

This week was hard, 3 days working until 4:00am. I need to breath fresh air and be away from my home :p

FuuRe

Tough luck with the injuries just starting the game, well anyway, I had lower expectations already set to avoid letdowns.

Top Bottom