• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChileGAF |OT| CTM weon que pulento el thread!

n0b

Hello ChileGAF! I'm gonna be in the country for the next week and a half visiting my girlfriend who is in the country teaching, la serena over the weekend and Santiago during the week!

She'll be working in the daytime while I'm in santiago so I'm wondering if there are any non-standard things for a lone gringo to do or anybody that would be interested in a meetup.

Hello ChileGAF! I'm gonna be in the country for the next week and a half visiting my girlfriend who is in the country teaching, la serena over the weekend and Santiago during the week!

She'll be working in the daytime while I'm in santiago so I'm wondering if there are any non-standard things for a lone gringo to do or anybody that would be interested in a meetup.
I'm in la serena a the moment. Where you staying when there?

Ostinatto

Buenos dias Bicampeones.

6CEAE4FE0.jpg

Lautaro

So our retirement money just got reduced today, and the Superintentdent says that we should "work more"

http://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/...ndencia-ante-la-rebaja-en-las-pensiones.shtml

How about it guys, the fault was our all along

I find it pretty curious that a communist (Julia Urqueta) defends this bullshit. Zurdos, fachos, all the same crap.

One of these days people will be fed up of this shit and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a destructive "anti-establishment" candidate (like a chilean Trump) to take advantage of that.

I find it pretty curious that a communist (Julia Urqueta) defends this bullshit. Zurdos, fachos, all the same crap.

One of these days people will be fed up of this shit and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a destructive "anti-establishment" candidate (like a chilean Trump) to take advantage of that.

I agree. The ball is there, someone just have to score.

jnWake

I hate that they don't allow us to use our retirement money however we want. I understand why the AFP system works the way it does but they should really just let you invest your money freely.

THIS IS PROBABLY VERY OFF TOPIC
but I have to try.

Venezuelan here.

i have been evaluating the possibility of moving from Venezuela to Santiago de Chile by year-end.

can any of you please share information about this topic? cost of living in Santiago, wages, websites to find jobs, best/worst burroughs to live, experience in migration process and anything you might find important.

I would really appreciate this.

Seriously in all honesty, I would really appreciate this.

Machado, have you tried to get in contact with other venezuelans that have uploaded youtube videos about how they walked the path you want to? I know there are some out there.

I'm pretty sure some gaffers from Santiago can give you some valuable information, but I think you'll get even better info from venezuelans already living in Santiago. Maybe venezuelans have some sort of "assistance net" to help in some way people like you.

I've read your posts in the other thread and everytime I see it bumped I think "oh, maybe this time Machado will be posting he finally escaped from that hell", so far no luck, I know, but dude... don't stop trying!!!!

My best wishes for you, mate, and take care!

GAFFERS FROM SANTIAGO, PLEASE HELP MACHADO WITH AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE, HE REALLY NEEDS IT (sorry to yell, but it's truly important).

I have read a lot of information about how to legally stablish yourself in Chile. speciallythis one. but specific information about better places to live, who is willing to rent a room to a foreigner and such is not a very easy informaton to get a hold of.

Thanks for the help oveja negra. I trust Chile GAF will help

That site looks very good, but I was talking about videos like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KziDFYjq68 (here the guy talks about renting, and there is some good info in the comments too).

What I suggest is to try to get in contact with the uploader and ask him/her the same questions you posted here. The worst case scenario is not getting any response at all, which is not worse than your current situation.

As I said, there are a good amount of similar videos. Contact them all, I can't imagine having such a bad luck to not get any response at all.

I can't help you that much cause I don't live in Santiago, but in general terms I can tell you that sadly currently Chile is in a some sort of economic crisis, yeah... it's in no way comparable to anything happening in Venezuela, but it means it is much harder to get a job than let's say 5 years ago. Still... it's doable, but if you come here you have to be prepared to lower your standards at first and be willing to work as a waiter, for example.

Until you're in a more stable situation you can keep trying to get a job in your field, or try again to move to Canada.

Again, good luck! :)

EDIT: Another video from a guy that arrived recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrE4-P81hgQ

EDIT2:

Same guy talking about how expensive is to live here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiwjMzaCEo

DON'T FORGET TO READ THE COMMENTS!!!

Boney

Banned
So guys, my laptop got stolen at college, where I left it in the masters classroom that's in actually inside the professors offices. Left it there since I didn't end up using it to hook up the projector while having my presentation of my practica/taller. Was super pissed since it was I noticed when I got home a like 4-5 hours later and asked my teacher to see if it was there and it was gone, and asking around everybody that presented after me saw it, and after the lunch break it was gone. Not a lot of people should be going in that room, due to where it is and you can't even look inside without opening the door. But whatever the point is that I need to get a new laptop and I'm not sure where to start looking since that one I won it in a raffle around 6 years ago.

Was thinking of a medium end laptop. Solid build and medium sized. The other PC wasn't that good so I didn't do any PC gaming at all so with this one I might as well pony up a bit and be able to play modern indie games that are releasing this generation.

I basically have no idea as to where to start looking, PC Factory maybe? But I'm not sure if it's actually relatively cheap or not. I'm pretty ignorant about cpu's gou's video cards and all that mumbo jumbo so if someone could point me a laptop that would fill my needs it'd be great.

Was thinking of spending around $300-400 mil pesos, maybe get to 500 if it's really worth it.

Help me please 😭

checking ATM
thanks
I'm honestly not well informed in the subject but I would assume that trying to rent a room in santiago centro and towards the east should be one of the cheapest alternatives. Since there are tons of buildings that are made as one bedroom apartments.

But there certainly are strong immigration networks with immigrants and I'd urge you to contact the folks on YouTube for info. Facebook too maybe.

Good luck anything else just ask here I'll try to help how I can.

Hello Chile Gaf. Was watching this video that talks a lot about your country, geography and culture wise and I find it hilariously badass how you guys supposeldy don't give a shit about earthquakes.

"Meh 7,5 earthquake."

Hello Chile Gaf. Was watching this video that talks a lot about your country, geography and culture wise and I find it hilariously badass how you guys supposeldy don't give a shit about earthquakes.

"Meh 7,5 earthquake."

We have no choice but to embrace earthquakes :D

However, the most violent earthquakes make a lot of people (specially women and older folks) to get scared.

But yeah, overall, when a seismic begins, the dialog is kinda:

guy 1: the floor is moving, it's a earthquake.
guy 2: yeah... it's kinda strong.
guy 1: yep... let's wait, it's going to end soon.
guy 2: yep.

...seismic movement ends...

Guys 1 & 2 continue doing whatever they were doing previously.

"Meh 7,5 earthquake."

Well, with the amount of earthquakes everything is built with at least some degree of earthquake resistance, if something falls it was either not aproved by authorithies or there was some shenanigans during the building process, I imagine earthquakes feel a lot stronger on other countries not built like that and the aftermath creates more panic.

Adnor

Banned
I... I don't think I ever felt a seismic movement until the 2010's earthquake.

Or maybe I was just so used to them that I never thought about them.

"Meh 7,5 earthquake."

I've dealt with strong seismic movements while taking an university exam, in 2 occasions.

Fun times.

So nothing on what to look and where to look for PC's?

I stopped being interested an updated about PC tech long time ago, so I couldn't recomend you anything specific, but this site Solotodo is great in order to point you out where and what to buy, given x amount of $$

http://www.solotodo.com/notebooks/

Good luck, dude :)

PS: There is a thread here in Neogaf about assembling PCs, I'm sure if you pick 3 notebooks and post the specs in that thread, people will help you to decide which one to buy.

Boney

Banned
I stopped being interested an updated about PC tech long time ago, so I couldn't recomend you anything specific, but this site Solotodo is great in order to point you out where and what to buy, given x amount of $$

http://www.solotodo.com/notebooks/

Good luck, dude :)

PS: There is a thread here in Neogaf about assembling PCs, I'm sure if you pick 3 notebooks and post the specs in that thread, people will help you to decide which one to buy.
Awesome, thanks a bunch dude.

I bought mine second hand from CHW. Really great place to find pieces or full packs.
Yeah, those kind of sites usually have more savant people form the community so it should be a good place to check

sphinx

the piano man
una pregunta, amigos de Chile....

¿Porqué escriben en inglés?

los alemanes, los daneses, (y creo que) los holandeses, todos tienen "threads" y escriben en sus idiomas, nadie les dice nada.

no sé, es pregunta solamente.

Adnor

Banned
una pregunta, amigos de Chile....

¿Porqué escriben en inglés?

los alemanes, los daneses, (y creo que) los holandeses, todos tienen "threads" y escriben en sus idiomas, nadie les dice nada.

no sé, es pregunta solamente.

Porque si escribimos mal en ingles no hay problemas, se entiende.

Si escribimos mal en español no tenemos justificación por nuestra mala ortografía :V

Yo pensé que era obligación escribir en inglés para que los mods entendieran de qué se estaba hablando, y saber así que no se estuviera transgrediendo alguna regla del foro.

Está en las reglas:

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum in order to keep the level of discourse high, and profanity should not be used when addressing others. Though NeoGAF is an international forum, discussion is to be held in English unless otherwise designated.

A lo mejor en los threads por paises se puede entender que se hable en español, pero cabe recordar que estos threads son también para aquellos extranjeros que quieran conocer el país, y el inglés es una buena forma de integrarlos a nuestras conversaciones.

Besides, we're the succesor of BKN. So I don't know what wea of problem is wear in chileninglish.

Goli

So I'm pretty late on this but I was just talking to my Venezuelan co-worker today about how things went down when she moved here and how it's been so far:

According to her people here are really nice and the economy's obviously in much better shape than Venezuela, however, she told me she's had a lot of issues getting a RUT, which is something like your 'social security number' and it's pretty much required to do anything here. She only got hers since she got married with a Chilean guy she met over there, which is also why she moved here in the first place, but she says that's been her main obstacle in the 5 or so months she's been living here.

In my workplace the crowd's pretty international, and the project I'm working on specifically has me talking with people from all over the world who wanna come here for one reason or another, so if you have any more specific questions you'd like answers to I can ask them for you, Machado.

So I'm pretty late on this but I was just talking to my Venezuelan co-worker today about how things went down when she moved here and how it's been so far:

According to her people here are really nice and the economy's obviously in much better shape than Venezuela, however, she told me she's had a lot of issues getting a RUT, which is something like your 'social security number' and it's pretty much required to do anything here. She only got hers since she got married with a Chilean guy she met over there, which is also why she moved here in the first place, but she says that's been her main obstacle in the 5 or so months she's been living here.

In my workplace the crowd's pretty international, and the project I'm working on specifically has me talking with people from all over the world who wanna come here for one reason or another, so if you have any more specific questions you'd like answers to I can ask them for you, Machado.

Man, finally somebody willing to help Machado in this thread :)

Please, contact him via MP, just in case.

It's weird the story your friend told you about having a lot of problems to get her RUT. I'm pretty sure getting married with a chilean is not required at all, maybe she had another issue that got solved when being married, I don't know.

Getting a RUT is super easy. You can get a temporary RUT on a tourist visa the second you arrive in Chile at SII in 10 minutes just filling out a form. The value of this RUT is debatable but in terms of purchasing property and some small other things I think it serves you. It is just a piece of paper and not a "true" RUT (carnet) you get with a real temporary residency visa.

The temporary RUT and the RUT you get with your carnet are not the same one just so you know. The benefit maybe to getting a temporary RUT is putting it on your CV when looking for a job to get a work visa. If an employer doesn't see your RUT they are much more likely to not give a shit and throw the CV out. It is true that the RUT in Chile is everything. Nothing works without one. So it may improve your chances to get that temp RUT while looking for a job and list it on your CV.

I've been talking to Machado for probably over a year through email and giving some advice from my experiences living in Chile, but I've been terribly slow at responding to him. I apologize for that amigo. That email account is also not my primary one and almost never checked so better off talking through WhatsApp if you want to PM me for my number.

Getting a visa is as simple as finding an employer to give you a contract. Bringing the contract to the extranjeria and getting a one year temp visa in which you can change employers at your will and keep your visa without having to do anything else or check in with the extranjeria. Chile made it even easier last March changing the visa laws. After one year on this visa you can apply for permanent residency.

Note: This visa is NOT a sujeto a contrato. It is a different one that came into law march 2015.

You could even get this visa and the next day quit and never work again all year (or freelance) and be legally in the country. Of course proving you can keep a stable job and stay in one place will be important when your one year is up and you want to apply for permanent residency where the documents required are a bit more but still pretty simple.

I'm Canadian and I understand unfairly so it may be different (easier) for me than a Venezuelan or Colombian etc where there is more prejudice in Chile when dealing with extranjeros from those countries. So this is just my experience.

Tobe

hey guys, im traveling to chile (santiago) for four days in october whats the cool thing to do? besides sightseeing and eating completos?

hey guys, im traveling to chile (santiago) for four days in october whats the cool thing to do? besides sightseeing and eating completos?
October? Mannnn. Everyone will still be hungover from fiesta patrias in September. No completos will remain until December when we will have killed enough pigs to re-plenish the supply.

FuuRe

So I went to Insert Coin (Nuñoa) last week with a friend, spent like <bkn>40 lucas</bkn> drinking and eating, played a shit ton of fighters, ate a lot too.

Cool waitresses and fun to talk to, the place was a little crowded and some girls slapped my head twice by playing Just Dance next to my table, but honestly after a while (of drinking) I didn't mind.

Totally recommendable, will go again for Halloween since the waitresses cosplay that day and I erm... dig
watching
cosplays!, surely will bring a camera with me that day.

PS: Papas Insert Coin the GOAT

FuuRe

40k split between two people, 4 drinks each and binge eating papas insert coin is not in my definition of expensive, not even in the "kinda expensive" territory

But well, to each his own

That really sounds cheap, the time i went with my group of friends it cost us a lot more tbh, and we didn't even consume a lot of stuff. Weird.

Top Bottom