• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan's 'Inception' to star Dicaprio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
Kinda OT but to all the DiCaprio fans, were you always fans or is it a recent love based on films like Catch me if you can or The Departed, i have to say i love the guy but i used to hate him based on movies like Titanic and Romeo and Juliet, it kinda started growing on me in Catch me if you can and he's been making awesome roles ever since so i oficially love him noe :lol

Maybe $200 million is his limit? He can choose not to spend that much...

But knowing how things work in the real world, if he's given 200 million bucks, he's gonna spend it, fo sho.

ezekial45

Banned
Interview with JGL:

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” star Joseph Gordon-Levitt took some time out of his busy schedule last week to speak with MTV’s Josh Horowitz. The focus of the chat was the actor’s next project, Spencer Susser’s family drama “Hesher.” Gordon-Levitt also spoke up a little bit on what he’s doing after “Hesher,” with “Batman Begins”/”The Dark Knight” director Christopher Nolan. It was really more of a non-comment, but we’ll take what we can get!

“Here’s the thing,” Gordon-Levitt told MTV. “I cant wait to talk to you about ["Inception"] but I’ve been very specifically asked not to talk about it. I want to respect [director Chris Nolan's wishes] because I love his movies and I’m so honored and grateful to be working with him.” Very mysterious, eh? But wait! There’s more!

There’s apparently a very specific reason for Nolan’s insistence on maintaining the silence for now. “He’s got a really specific idea and way he wants people to be presented with this thing,” Gordon-Levitt said of the director’s plans. You readers may or may not remember, but Nolan first established himself on the Hollywood radar with his smart memory loss thriller “Memento,” a film which is all the more effective when the mystery is upheld going into it.

Variety has previously reported that “Inception” is “a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind,” so it sounds as though we may be in store for a similar sort of head-scratcher.

Regardless, we know that Gordon-Levitt will play a role of some significance within the film. He wouldn’t go into any specifics of course, but he offered a sly response to the question of his role’s size. “I’m going to be working on it for awhile,” he said, laughing.

DMczaf

Christopher Nolan's Reverse Avatar.

Photo-Realistic CGI? Pfft. Nolan is going to make everything 100% real just like that truck stunt and the hospital explosion! See that Viperwolf? He made it. In his garage!

wRATH2x

Banned
Holy shit 200 fucking million!! Looks like Nolan is taking advantage of WB's trust :lol . Can't wait for this movie yet I'm pretty sure it wont make back its budget. It needs Bale I tellz you!!!!

DMczaf

“He’s got a really specific idea and way he wants people to be presented with this thing,” Gordon-Levitt said of the director’s plans.

This really is his Avatar. WTF. Is this my karma for clowning on Sculli?!

Akia

Wrath2X said:
Holy shit 200 fucking million!! Looks like Nolan is taking advantage of WB's trust :lol . Can't wait for this movie yet I'm pretty sure it wont make back its budget. It needs Bale I tellz you!!!!

"From the director of The Dark Knight..."

Bam! 100 million opening weekend.

duckroll

It might not be a "twist" so much as a unique sort of narrative/worldview which would be more effective if we're introduced to it the way he wants us to be. It worked very well for the original Matrix imo. There was very little actually spoiled about the movie in the trailers, and it made the entire experience the first time pretty awesome.

Striker

Doubledex said:
Uh........ then this movie will be a piece of shit! Next please
nlzihd.gif

Solo

With those budgets, either Inception or Avatar could end up being this generation's Heaven's Gate if either flops.

Guzim

Holy fuck, a $200 million dollar budget? I expect Nolan to be wearing suits made of gold while filming this movie.

wRATH2x

Banned
Solo said:
With those budgets, either Inception or Avatar could end up being this generation's Heaven's Gate if either flops.
Whats Heaven's Gate?

And Duckroll I didn't recognize without PH Link.

Zeliard

Guzim said:
Holy fuck, a $200 million dollar budget? I expect Nolan to be wearing suits made of gold while filming this movie.

He doesn't have to pay a lot of money for that. He can just buy a nice suit and then touch it.

DMczaf

Skiptastic said:
Except all Nolan has to do is make Batman 3 and all is forgiven.

If WB is giving him this much for a new movie that's not based on any franchise or IP, I'm guessing they probably locked him up for more than just one more Batman movie.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well he has The Exec I believe in the pipeline for Warner, another sci-fi action but I can't see him doing that anytime soon after Inception. He also wants to do a Horror in the vain of Alien and Jaws and also a Western movie. Maybe these are projects he'll set up at Warner. He also has The Prisoner with Universal. Also he's expressed interest to return to do the Howard Hughes biopic that he wrote, he said it was the best script he ever wrote.

I can't see him doing yet another big budget movie after Inception and The Dark Knight Returns, he'll probably do something smaller like Insomnia and Prestige. Which is nice, because he is fucking awesome. Best director, confirmed.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Lakitu said:
Well he has The Exec I believe in the pipeline for Warner, another sci-fi action but I can't see him doing that anytime soon after Inception. He also wants to do a Horror in the vain of Alien and Jaws and also a Western movie. Maybe these are projects he'll set up at Warner. He also has The Prisoner with Universal. Also he's expressed interest to return to do the Howard Hughes biopic that he wrote, he said it was the best script he ever wrote.

I can't see him doing yet another big budget movie after Inception and The Dark Knight Returns, he'll probably do something smaller like Insomnia and Prestige. Which is nice, because he is fucking awesome. Best director, confirmed.
I like this post.

Solo said:

I'd say its still not as risky as AVATAR. Inception at least has DiCaprio headlining it and will surely be marketed a lot earlier than AVATAR has been through its production. :lol Also its not 3D.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
A bunch of great directors making expensive sci-fi films? I'm in heaven.

Also, JGL is the man. And also the best person to play the Joker in the future Batman films.

harSon

Banned
Does Nolan even have that kind of box office pull without the Batman licence? The Prestige barely cracked $100 million worldwide and the science fiction genre as a whole (There's exceptions obviously) hasn't been doing all that well.

dmshaposv

Plus all they need to publicize Inception in trailers and posters is with "From The director of Dark Knight..." It will get a lot of attention.

Avatar also needs to be publicized with the "From the director of the multiple academy-award winning and highest grossing motion picture of all time", and Cameron is set.

harSon said:
Does Nolan even have that kind of box office pull without the Batman licence? The Prestige barely cracked $100 million worldwide and the science fiction genre as a whole (There's exceptions obviously) hasn't been doing all that well.

Here is the trailer bits that will give enough pull:

'From the Director of THE DARK KNIGHT'

'Leonardo Dicaprio'

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
harSon said:

The Prestige came out before Nolan was the director of the second highest-grossing movie of all time.

Solo

harSon said:
Does Nolan even have that kind of box office pull without the Batman licence?

No. Hell, GAF wouldnt be all over his nuts had has filmography jumped from Insomnia to The Prestige to Inception. Your average joe doesnt know Chris Nolan - he isnt a Spielbergesque household name yet.

dmshaposv said:
Plus all they need to publicize Inception in trailers and posters is with "From The director of Dark Knight..." It will get a lot of attention.

Avatar also needs to be publicized with the "From the director of the multiple academy-award winning and highest motion grossing picture of all time", and Cameron is set.

Please, you know most people look back on the time of Titanic with disdain.

They need to say 'From the director of Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic'. So there its appealing to all crowds and not turning the male audience away.

harSon

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Here is the trailer bits that will give enough pull:

'From the Director of THE DARK KNIGHT'

'Leonardo Dicaprio'

"From the director of Batman Begins"

and

"Starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Scarlett Johansson" isn't something to sneeze at.

harSon said:
"From the director of Batman Begins"

and

"Starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Scarlett Johansson" isn't something to sneeze at.

Of course not. But Batman Begins didn't set the world on fire and DiCaprio has more pull than any of them.

dmshaposv

Scullibundo said:
Please, you know most people look back on the time of Titanic with disdain.

They need to say 'From the director of Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic'. So there its appealing to all crowds and not turning the male audience away.

I personally think Fox is going to cash in on Titanic alone - as much as GAF hates it -Titanic is a landmark film that is known throughout the world.

Even the smallest kids in the obscure slums of india will identify with Titanic and Celine Dion's song.

Solo said:
No. Hell, GAF wouldnt be all over his nuts had has filmography jumped from Insomnia to The Prestige to Inception. Your average joe doesnt know Chris Nolan - he isnt a Spielbergesque household name yet.

I don't know, my dad never saw either Batman movie until after he saw The Prestige, and he LOVED that movie. Always would ask me "What's Nolan working on?"

Purely anecdotal though.

DMczaf

Hell, David Goyer has been living off "FROM THE CO-WRITER OF THE DARK KNIGHT/BATMAN BEGINS"

When will we get FROM THE DIRECTOR OF BLADE TRINITY!

dmshaposv

So wait, Nolan is going to do Batman 3 after inception, right? Or does he plan to do something in between the two? What is this talk of a Universal film?

DMczaf

dmshaposv said:
So wait, Nolan is going to do Batman 3 after inception, right? Or does he plan to do something in between the two?

No one knows what he's doing after Inception "officially", most people figure WB bought the script and gave him the budget because he agreed to do Batman 3 next.

They might announce Batman 3 officially soon though to lock in a date.

charsace

DMczaf said:
Hell, David Goyer has been living off "FROM THE CO-WRITER OF THE DARK KNIGHT/BATMAN BEGINS"

When will we get FROM THE DIRECTOR OF BLADE TRINITY!
Goyer's publicist denies any knowledge of other works that are not Batman Begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom