• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan's 'Inception' to star Dicaprio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dmshaposv said:
So wait, Nolan is going to do Batman 3 after inception, right? Or does he plan to do something in between the two? What is this talk of a Universal film?

If Inception underperforms I'd imagine you'll see a Batman 3 announcement incredibly soon afterwards.

I would laugh my ass off and have tremendous amounts of kudos for Nolan if Inception ends up being an alias for the next Batman. $200 million original sci-fi project? Nolan = Buzz Aldrin.

alterno69 said:
Kinda OT but to all the DiCaprio fans, were you always fans or is it a recent love based on films like Catch me if you can or The Departed, i have to say i love the guy but i used to hate him based on movies like Titanic and Romeo and Juliet, it kinda started growing on me in Catch me if you can and he's been making awesome roles ever since so i oficially love him noe :lol

The Aviator is what did it for me.

his performance and the movie itself is criminally underrated, even though it got a fair amount of acclaim when it came out.

You guys do know that $200 million is pretty much becoming near-standard for summer movies nowadays? Hell, Batman 3 will probably get a $300 million budget just because it can.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mr. Pointy said:
You guys do know that $200 million is pretty much becoming near-standard for summer movies nowadays? Hell, Batman 3 will probably get a $300 million budget just because it can.
The 200 mil figure is only surprising because we still don't know what Inception really is.

With that figure it has to be pretty action heavy, its the only reason I could fathom for such a production budget.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
We know it's sci-fi, so that could account for the production budget. It could be something like Blade Runner which had incredible production costs but wasn't heavy on the action.

Dead said:
The 200 mil figure is only surprising because we still don't know what Inception really is.

With that figure it has to be pretty action heavy, its the only reason I could fathom for such a production budget.
Considering how expensive location shooting tends to be, I imagine a big part of the budget is in that. Considering the spoilers presented, I'm not surprised. I imagine there'll be a lot of action.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mr. Pointy said:
Considering how expensive location shooting tends to be, I imagine a big part of the budget is in that. Considering the spoilers presented, I'm not surprised. I imagine there'll be a lot of action.
Yeah, location shooting could do it. IE Quantum of Solace.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Scullibundo said:
Please, you know most people look back on the time of Titanic with disdain.

They need to say 'From the director of 'True Lies'. So there its appealing to all crowds and not turning the male audience away.
fixed.

Always a risk to give a huge budget to a sci-fi film, they are pretty much a crapshoot at the BO no matter how good they might be and who is attached.

Busty

Banned
With an eagerly awaited film like this having a total information black out some of the rumours and chatter that comes out of the vaccum ranges from fascinating to totally bizarre.

But apparently Inception could be part of a larger franchise or the first in a new series of films. Or it's a one off......

Either way Nolan's work is always worth a watch and I can't wait to read the log line for this.

Lakitu said:
Well he has The Exec I believe in the pipeline for Warner, another sci-fi action but I can't see him doing that anytime soon after Inception. He also wants to do a Horror in the vain of Alien and Jaws and also a Western movie. Maybe these are projects he'll set up at Warner.

His production company that he runs with his producer/wife has a multi year development deal with Warners. So I imagine that all his projects will be set up there for a while yet.

In fact, before he broke out with Memento he was linked with alot of projects at WB.

Lakitu said:
Maybe these are projects he'll set up at Warner. He also has The Prisoner with Universal.

Apparently that project is now dead since AMC and Sky One (IIRC) are making a new Prisoner TV series.

Lakitu said:
Also he's expressed interest to return to do the Howard Hughes biopic that he wrote, he said it was the best script he ever wrote.

An interesting project about Hughes' later life. In fact it actually takes place after The Aviator.

Nolan wants (wanted?) Jim Carrey to play Hughes!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Busty said:
Apparently that project is now dead since AMC and Sky One (IIRC) are making a new Prisoner TV series.
There's no conflict. Both were announced back in 2006 and the respective companies had separate rights for television and film adaptations. Also, Sky One backed out and was replaced by ITV.

I'd be surprised to see the film version re-emerge though, both because the mini-series actually went forward and Nolan is now quite settled at Warner Bros and the film was with Universal.

SpeedingUptoStop

It's a shame, because The Prisoner is right up Nolan's alley. He'd just need more a frenetic pacing style and an actor as angry as Patrick McGoohan and he'd be perfect.

Busty

Banned
Dan said:
There's no conflict. Both were announced back in 2006 and the respective companies had separate rights for television and film adaptations. Also, Sky One backed out and was replaced by ITV.

I'd be surprised to see the film version re-emerge though, both because the mini-series actually went forward and Nolan is now quite settled at Warner Bros and the film was with Universal.

No studio is ever going to spend a fortune making a big screen version of a classic TV show only to see a new version of said show air on basic cable. If they are going to make such a large investment they have to make sure they have all the rights to the property, including a TV remake.

It's like Universal making a Knight Rider film with DiCaprio while the shitty low budget version was on NBC which people could watch for free.

That's a sizeable conflict.

Also... yeah I had a feeling that Sky dropped out of the new Prisoner at some point.

Scullibundo said:
Of course not. But Batman Begins didn't set the world on fire and DiCaprio has more pull than any of them.

Not to mention Inception would be a big budget sci fi action movie (or so it sounds) while The Prestige was a thriller about magicians. Not necessarily one that turns out the crowds.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Busty said:
No studio is ever going to spend a fortune making a big screen version of a classic TV show only to see a new version of said show air on basic cable. If they are going to make such a large investment they have to make sure they have all the rights to the property, including a TV remake.

It's like Universal making a Knight Rider film with DiCaprio while the shitty low budget version was on NBC which people could watch for free.

That's a sizeable conflict.
If the movie is dead, it was Universal's choice. There's no contractual issues preventing them from doing it.

As for the bolded, clearly Universal didn't see it that way since they either bought the film rights knowing the TV rights were already taken or they straight up didn't care about securing them in the first place.

It wouldn't be the smartest move ever, but it's hardly unprecedented. NBC had their Poseidon Adventure TV remake while Warner Bros had the film remake within 7 months of each other.

Busty

Banned
The fact Tom Hardy will be in this movie simply enhances the project's raw awesomeness.

Nolan is a director who always surrounds himself with great talent.

Though I'm not sure about the rumoured 'dreams' story line I'm really excited to something, anything from this film.

Seriously. You look at all the directors Leo has worked with and man, what a lucky (and deserved) sonuvabitch.

Cameron, Spielberg, Scorsese, Scott, Nolan and obviously other notables. Those first three are the holy trinity to me though.

Scullibundo said:
Seriously. You look at all the directors Leo has worked with and man, what a lucky (and deserved) sonuvabitch.

Cameron, Spielberg, Scorsese, Scott, Nolan and obviously other notables. Those first three are the holy trinity to me though.

Don't forget Sam Mendes. :) He's among the best directors out there.

With that said, I can't wait. Nolan hasn't made a bad film to date, and I am always interested in DiCaprio's work.

DMczaf

Lakitu said:
New picture of DiCaprio, Nolan and Watanabe in Japan.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ibz1pv.jpg

Shooting has officially begun too.

lyu0l.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Marion Cotillard On The Complex Secrets Of Christopher Nolan’s ‘Inception’
Everything sounds better with a French accent. That’s just a fact, and it’s something Movies Editor Josh Horowitz learned anew while chatting with Marion Cotillard about her upcoming Christopher Nolan film, “Inception.”

No matter that the Parisian actress wouldn’t give up the juicy inside facts—partly because she didn’t know, partly because declined to say—about the secretive film that we crave here at MTV News. No matter that all she’d tell us about the plot is that it’s “about the mind.” No matter that she teased Josh at one point, “You so want to have information—I can see you!”

Cotillard simply sounds so sweetly agreeable when she’s speaking, it’s hard to complain. We did manage to learn that the majority of her scenes will be alongside Leonardo DiCaprio, who is set to play her husband. We did learn the movie itself is chockfull of action sequences. And she did go into detail about her first reaction upon reading the script for the film, which also co-stars Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Caine.

“[Nolan] is so interesting,” she said, while promoting “Public Enemies,” her Johnny Depp-starring gangster flick. “He writes his own scripts. He seems to be, from what I saw and what I read, so rich inside. He’s got so many things to say and share and he’s a very, very smart guy. You really can feel it in his writing.”

What else did we learn? That Cotillard could read me the phone book for the entire July 4th weekend and I wouldn’t protest. Check out the rest of the video to find out more about “Inception” and why Cotillard finds Nolan’s film très complexe.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/06/2...plex-secrets-of-christopher-nolans-inception/

Can't view the video because I'm not in America. :(

rezuth

alterno69 said:
Kinda OT but to all the DiCaprio fans, were you always fans or is it a recent love based on films like Catch me if you can or The Departed, i have to say i love the guy but i used to hate him based on movies like Titanic and Romeo and Juliet, it kinda started growing on me in Catch me if you can and he's been making awesome roles ever since so i oficially love him noe :lol
I loved him ever since I saw Gilbert Grape, that dude knows how to act.

jett

D-Member
So it's an action movie? I thought it was gonna be more subdued, like The Prestige. I guess that explains the 200 millon dollar budget. :p

DMczaf

He blew up an actual building and flipped over an 18 wheeler with $185 mil

I'm scared to think what he'll blow up with $200 mil.

DMczaf

http://www.nolanfans.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1247488262&archive=

We've received some inside tips informing us that director Christopher Nolan will be returning to the Cardington Airship Shed (in which he filmed parts of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) to film his latest movie, Inception. The large Airship hanger was leased to Warner Bros back in 2003 for use on various television and film projects. It was used to build large sets of Gotham City for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and is now reportedly the home of a nearly completed set for next year's Inception.

Reports are that the crew often hang at the local pub, and that signs pointing towards the production can be seen around town. We've also been told that two large living accommodation caravans arrived this past weekend, and that set designers have been working with shed door partly open. Production on the big-budget "contemporary sci-fi actioner" began last month in Tokyo, Japan and will reportedly run until late November this year. Inception is set to hit theaters July 16, 2010.

More fuel for the Batman 3 fire!!

kidding!.......or am i?!

Cheebs

It won't be lol. Also am I the only one who is far more interested in Nolan doing a big budget sci-fi film with Leo than Batman 3? Inception has far more interest from me than the potential of a third batman movie at this point.

Cheebs said:
It won't be lol. Also am I the only one who is far more interest in Nolan doing a big budget sci-fi film with Leo than Batman 3? Inception has far more interest from me than the potential of a third batman movie at this point.
Nope, I certainly agree.

SpeedingUptoStop

http://www.nolanfans.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1247694090#
Inception News posted by: AlexHaas
tour-1.jpg

University College LondonWe are receiving reports hinting that Christopher Nolan's next film, Inception has begun filming at University College London (UCL).
The film crew for "Oliver's Arrow" today invaded UCL's Wilkins building to film some scenes in various locations within the Main Library. Michael Caine, Leonardo di Caprio and Ellen Page were on location filming scenes in what had been dressed up (with fake signage) to be the "Bibliotheque" of the "Ecole de Architecture" in France.
From what we're been able to hear so far, there was a scene being shot in the Flaxman Gallery (a section of the Main Library on campus) with Leonardo DiCaprio's character being introduced to a graduate student named Ariadne (possibly Ellen Page) by Michael Caine's character. Apparently, DiCaprio's character had a job offer for her. We've also heard that some other scenes were being shot in a lecture theater, a reading room, and some other locations inside the Main Library.
Michael Caine looked like he was playing a similar character to the one he always plays lately, Ellen Page looked like a plucky young student, and Leo di Caprio just looked moody and "focused" (toying with the toothpick-in-between-the-teeth look).

The last part with the toothpick made me laugh. It's a lot of information here and we're fortunate for DivisionofJoy posting it on the IMDb forums. So, what can you guys make of all this? Let's hear some of your comments!

Lid's still tight on this project's details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom