• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

Have you seen previous 70mm screenings in that theater? Do you think they know their shit?
If not I would have gone IMAX digital probably.
The 70mm is at an inpendent, historic theater that I assume is run by film buffs. I guess I'll find out.

I'll try asking this in this thread -

So wait - I have my tickets for 70MM non-IMAX, but there is also a listing for my theater for IMAX, non 70MM? Which should I go for?

Vinc

Is it a real 70mm, if it is lul what are you saving it for

It's a dual projection system where they can switch between digital and 15/70. Used to just be 15/70 until a few years ago, but then they succumbed to the digital temptation. They still kept the old projector though. It's so odd to me how they're not projecting this in the right format, it's ridiculous! It's a huge screen too, one of the biggest real imax screens.

I watched a few minutes of the livestream of the premiere in London, and dang. So many young girls lined up waiting for a look at Harry Styles. I have a feeling Styles fans will boost this movie's box office numbers in a noticeable way.

I watched a few minutes of the livestream of the premiere in London, and dang. So many young girls lined up waiting for a look at Harry Styles. I have a feeling Styles fans will boost this movie's box office numbers in a noticeable way.

Having been at a family gathering (my fifty-something parents, and the "kids" in the 20-30 range), the only person that knew about Dunkirk other than myself was my baby bro's girlfriend, who's a big 1D fan.

Vectorman

Banned
The Styles thirst is real. Did our Lord Nolan foresee this when he casted him? Also when does the review embargo drop?

FTF

I'll try asking this in this thread -

So wait - I have my tickets for 70MM non-IMAX, but there is also a listing for my theater for IMAX, non 70MM? Which should I go for?

I would do imax, even if it's not 70mm. I think the larger screen and louder/better sound will outweigh a more wider reg screen showing 70mm.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
It delivers big time. It's fantastic. Believe everything you read that says it's intense. My heart was pumping the whole time. No there's no weird Nolan twists in this one.

As a big Nolan fan I really don't feel like I can compare it to the others now. It's so completely different tonally although direction wise his fingerprints are all over it. With the others I came out with my mind feeling blown, with this one I feel like I just need to have a drink and lie down.

Convinced though that this will win Oscars and be considered one of his best in the broader film community. It's an astounding achievement. Will answer a few questions

It delivers big time. It's fantastic. Believe everything you read that says it's intense. My heart was pumping the whole time. No there's no weird Nolan twists in this one.

As a big Nolan fan I really don't feel like I can compare it to the others now. It's so completely different tonally although direction wise his fingerprints are all over it. With the others I came out with my mind feeling blown, with this one I feel like I just need to have a drink and lie down.

Convinced though that this will win Oscars and be considered one of his best in the broader film community. It's an astounding achievement. Will answer a few questions
Awesome to hear.

Also I'm still shock people are expecting some kind of twist.

Superimposer

Which format did you see it in? How prominent is the music score?

Standard 70mm. Going for IMAX 70 when it opens for sure.
I'll spoiler the score stuff.
it's very prominent but definitely punctuates the action. It is a big character and it's excellent. It's about choosing when to be silent as well though, when to be loud,
and when to be brooding for lack of a better word

Dany

Banned
Standard 70mm. Going for IMAX 70 when it opens for sure.
I'll spoiler the score stuff.
it's very prominent but definitely punctuates the action. It is a big character and it's excellent. It's about choosing when to be silent as well though, when to be loud,
and when to be brooding for lack of a better word
not to surprising but glad to hear this, thanks!

zsynqx

One week...

He also added this.

i7jerXw.png

Thanks for the write up, sounds great!!

So pumped for this next week...

We get a lot of mock dogfights between the Spitfire and the Buchon 109 down here, will be fun to see them in "real" action.

Superimposer

Having slept on it, it leaves you with such a different feeling compared to his other films. Whereas with Interstellar, Inception et al, I left feeling energised, wanting to talk about the movie and different theories, the innnovation etc. With this one it's such a punch in the gut you're almost glad it's over so you can take a break from it. From a filmmaking standpoint I'm sure most will think this is his best. It probably won't have the same lasting effect on me as some of the others, but the time spent watching it was a total ride. This is why I'm finding it hard to place it in any kind of Nolan ranking - it almost stands on its own. Better go see it again to be sure!

ExInferus

Having slept on it, it leaves you with such a different feeling compared to his other films. Whereas with Interstellar, Inception et al, I left feeling energised, wanting to talk about the movie and different theories, the innnovation etc. With this one it's such a punch in the gut you're almost glad it's over so you can take a break from it. From a filmmaking standpoint I'm sure most will think this is his best. It probably won't have the same lasting effect on me as some of the others, but the time spent watching it was a total ride. This is why I'm finding it hard to place it in any kind of Nolan ranking - it almost stands on its own. Better go see it again to be sure!

Thoughts on Hardy's role?

Superimposer

Thoughts on Hardy's role?

No plot spoilers but just being careful:

Personally probably my favourite part, I think he plays it very well. He does very well with a limited set of opportunities. What little dialogue there is is muffled by his mask,
and you mostly can't see his face. But his scenes were the most well-made and exciting in my opinion. Some of the aerial shots are pretty spectacular.

Superimposer

Good now rian hun make Episode 8 your best film ever. Kthnx

---

I haaaate war movies but so incredibly hyped for this. A nolan film is an event. He's my fav director

For what it's worth, this is definitely not a grand-scale war movie with huge battles.

For those in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Indianapolis:

The Owens Group is giving away sneak peek tickets to a screening on Monday or Tuesday. Get your tickets before they are gone then show up super early, as they are first come, first served.

Looks like the one in Cinci is IMAX, but not 100% on that. The one in Indy is definitely not.

I cannot attend the one in Indianapolis (and I already have tickets for Thursday at the 70mm IMAX downtown), but I did get tickets, so let me know if you are interested (it's technically the theater up in Carmel/Westfield).

Update: I actually have two sets of two tickets I can give away to the "Indianapolis" showing. It is Tuesday, July 18 @ 7 PM and the Regal Village Park (2222 E 146th St., Carmel, IN 46032) (back to two again!)

Just send me a PM and I'll get your email and send them your way.

Sevenfold

For those in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Indianapolis:

The Owens Group is giving away sneak peek tickets to a screening on Monday or Tuesday. Get your tickets before they are gone then show up super early, as they are first come, first served.

Looks like the one in Cinci is IMAX, but not 100% on that. The one in Indy is definitely not.

I cannot attend the one in Indianapolis (and I already have tickets for Thursday at the 70mm IMAX downtown), but I did get tickets, so let me know if you are interested (it's technically the theater up in Carmel/Westfield).

Update: I actually have two sets of two tickets I can give away to the "Indianapolis" showing. It is Tuesday, July 18 @ 7 PM and the Regal Village Park (2222 E 146th St., Carmel, IN 46032) (back to two again!)

Just send me a PM and I'll get your email and send them your way.

Does it include flights from the UK and accommodation?
Nice gesture. Someone local to you is gonna have a treat :)

- J - D -

WBtickets just emailed me about early screening event passes for Dunkirk and I managed to get two tickets for Monday the 17th. Just a heads up for those on their newsletter to check your emails.

DMczaf

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/force-strong-director-christopher-nolan-48639705

"I wanted to experiment with a new rhythm," said Nolan in a recent interview. "What I wanted to do was take what I call the snowballing effect of the third act of my other films, where parallel story lines start to be more than the sum of their parts, and I wanted to try to make the entire film that way, and strip the film of conventional theatrics."

"Dunkirk" might not be an American story, but, Nolan said, "It needed to be made with an American studio budget." One of the first things he did to prepare was borrow Steven Spielberg's personal print of "Saving Private Ryan."

"You look at the horror that's presented in that film, and as a filmmaker you go: OK, we don't want to chase that in any way because he's done it definitively. You also say to yourself: The tension that I'm feeling watching 'Saving Private Ryan' is not the tension I want for 'Dunkirk.' You say: We need this story to be about survival and suspense. What defines suspense is you can't take your eyes off the screen. But what horror gives you is an aversion. You want to look away."

Instead, Nolan's model for sustained suspense was Henri-Georges Clouzet's "Wages of Fear," in which four penniless men drive trucks loaded with nitroglycerin through the mountains. George Miller's "Mad Max: Fury Road," a virtually perpetual car chase, also strengthened his resolve. "I was in the middle of writing the script when I saw that film and I took confidence from it," said Nolan. "It's not dissimilar in terms of the modulation I'm talking about."

-griffy-

Banned
"I wanted to experiment with a new rhythm," said Nolan in a recent interview. "What I wanted to do was take what I call the snowballing effect of the third act of my other films, where parallel story lines start to be more than the sum of their parts, and I wanted to try to make the entire film that way, and strip the film of conventional theatrics."

Hey, where have I heard that before...

The IMAX footage I saw would suggest it's a straight up action thriller. You know how the third acts in The Dark Knight and Inception and The Dark Knight Rises are just crazy intense rising action after rising action after rising action, building to this super intense crescendo? Seems like that's what this entire movie is.

Oh right! I see you Nolan.

JB1981

Motherfucker I really didn't want to know about the time spoiler in that piece

"The cinematic landscape has changed since I started making Batman films. When we were doing the 'Dark Knight' trilogy, I think it was easier for a filmmaker in the position I was in to express a more personal vision of what they wanted to do in a franchise property." - Nolan

Nolan throwing shade at Marvel LOL

Curufinwe

I was going to see this at the local IMAX but it's not 70mm and the theater itself is crappy and doesn't have assigned seating. So I'm going to try the King of Prussia IMAX which is about 45 minutes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom