• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

DonDraper

Banned
I'd check the following:

1. Wifi bandwidth
2. Hard reset the chromecast
3. Use an app like Wifi Analyzer to see if you should switch channel

Was the PS4 hard wired?

My wifi bandwidth is 15down/1up. About average for me with TWC.

I'm gonna check out wifi analyzer, thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the hard reset and still the same. Yes my ps4 was hard wired.

DonDraper

Banned
So I used wifi analyzer and saw I could be on a better channel. So I tweaked my router onto the better channel, but still no luck. I'll assume that hard wired ps4 makes all the difference. Something about my wifi setup or something just not jiving with my chromecast. Or just bad luck. :/

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Bought a Chromecast this friday, and it's really not working at all. iTunes Movie Trailers works thru Plex, but that's about it. Netflix causes chromecast to hang and reboot, both thru phone and web, Videostream causes it to crash and reboot, Plex works with SD-video, anything of higher quality causes it to crash and reboot. So while I see the potential of it, it's really quite annoying.

Hopefully I don't have a defective unit, since SD-video and Trailers of high quality works, but having spent two days searching for answers I'm none the wiser. Even went out yesterday, severely hungover, and bought a new router in the hope that my very old Airport Express was bandwidth limited, but still experience the same errors.

I'm using a latest version Macbook Pro Retina, Intel i5 2.8GHz, 16 gigs ram, OSX version 10.9.5. Internet is 100/100 Mbit. Asus AC68U router with latest firmware. Chromecast has latest firmware. Nothing about my hardware suggests that I shouldn't be able to cast 720p or 1080p.

Any suggestions?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Try a factory reset, if that doesn't improve things it is probably faulty.

I did that a few times to no avail. But posted the same on the chromecast help forums, and got some things to change in the router setting which seems to have worked. At least I got thru an episode of Knife Fight without any crashes.

Ashhong

Anybody use the twitch app on ios? The app is activating the chromecast and turning on my TV before I even select a stream and tell it to cast to the TV. Pretty annoying since it happens even if I'm trying to watch from another room.

Does this happen to anybody else?

SimleuqiR

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/16/an-updated-google-chromecast-stops-by-the-fcc/

nexus2cee_2014-10-16-11_48_02-https___apps.fcc_.gov_eas_GetApplicationAttachment.html_id2408403_thumb.png

zychi

Banned
Anybody use the twitch app on ios? The app is activating the chromecast and turning on my TV before I even select a stream and tell it to cast to the TV. Pretty annoying since it happens even if I'm trying to watch from another room.

Does this happen to anybody else?

yep. i have issues with a few specific streams too. plex also does this to me

Ashhong

Doesn't it have better wifi specs?

According to a comment that paragraph in the article doesn't mean that it actually supports or has 5ghz. It refers to the testing procedure or something. I'm not sure really. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about lol

Ashhong

Why does my chromecast overscan on my TV :( I don't have problems on my Panasonic plasma, but I put it on a Panasonic lcd and there's overscan on every app. Tried changing picture options but it doesn't help. I also can't change the position/size manually because it's hdmi and it's blacked out.

Any ideas? I'm watching on a TC-L32X1

Is there a chromecast app or service that would allow you to hook up an antenna inside your home and then re-transmit over wifi?

Here is my mother's dilemma. She has chromecasts all over her home but antenna reception is terrible on most tvs. If I could place one antenna hooked up to a computer and retransmit over wifi it would solve her issue and she could dump cable.

Edit:

Would this http://www.slingbox.com/Products/SlingboxM1/Features.aspx and the 15 dollar app work? Anyone try this setup?

krpiper

So I have a iPhone and use my Chromecast (as a gift) mainly for a netflix/hulu remote.

I saw a good deal on a next 7 2013 refurb. What can I do on the tablet that I can not do on my phone.

I know that there is screen sharing, can I do that with ANY app?

So I have a iPhone and use my Chromecast (as a gift) mainly for a netflix/hulu remote.

I saw a good deal on a next 7 2013 refurb. What can I do on the tablet that I can not do on my phone.

I know that there is screen sharing, can I do that with ANY app?

Yes it will mirror the whole tablet on the TV essentially you can use any app on the TV.

It also will allow you to make purchases straight in the google store for chromecasting. Apple blocks this.

There are some apps that are specific or done better on android for chrome casting as well.

Ashhong

Guys, I came home after being away for a week and suddenly my chromecast won't connect to the Internet. I disconnected the power and all that and it shows it's connected for about 30 seconds and then it disappears. I can't see the chromcast in my network list and I can't see it in the chromecast app.

Please help!

Edit: I reset my router twice and it started working again. I recently upgraded to this dual band dlink router thinking it would be a nice step up but it has been nothing but problems. So annoying

Edit 2: wtf now my twitch streams are cut off on the side, but only in one hdmi input but not the other...

sca2511

Completely noob question here so I just downloaded it but what can I use it for?

You can run a Plex Media Server(PMS) on your PC, then stream media you've loaded onto PMS to the devices that are running the Plex app. You can also sign into other people's PMS using the app and watch whatever they're hosting.

You can run a Plex Media Server(PMS) on your PC, then stream media you've loaded onto PMS to the devices that are running the Plex app. You can also sign into other people's PMS using the app and watch whatever they're hosting.

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely give it a shot.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm stumped. The Chromecast at my GF's work is acting odd. She can stream Youtube and all that crap. Anytime she trys to cast Netflix, this happens.

Any ideas? Already did a factory reset and still nothing.

Spinluck

Would you guys say Chromecast is absolutely worth it at $23?

I hear some great things, but some of the problems I've read about seem a bit concerning.

Regardless of the answers I get, I'm probably gonna buy it since it's only $23 lol. I would like to feel even better about this purchase.

terrier

Would you guys say Chromecast is absolutely worth it at $23?

I hear some great things, but some of the problems I've read about seem a bit concerning.

Regardless of the answers I get, I'm probably gonna buy it since it's only $23 lol. I would like to feel even better about this purchase.

it is a great little device. It depends on what are you planning to use it for. In the US seems a must have device since most streaming services support it. In euroland since netflix is almost no existant it is less useful but i use it all the time for music and youtube and local streaming with plex from laptop

sun-drop

NFL game pass finally has chromecast support

not via the mobile app though .... via chrome browser.

i mean it's not trans-coding ... i went to the webpage today and then under the game i wanted was the chromecast symbol ... click i and boom ... my chromecast kicks to life and starts streaming.

can tun pc off cause it's not playing on my pc.

about time

Futureman

I just bought one at Best Buy tonight and I swear there was a "$20 Google Play credit" sticker on the box. I looked through the trash and can't seem to find it. How can I redeem this?

Also GF just moved to a new place. No internet yet. Useless with our iPhones? I read an article about Google announcing at I/O a mode to use Chromecast without a router/internet connection. Is this active yet?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I just bought one at Best Buy tonight and I swear there was a "$20 Google Play credit" sticker on the box. I looked through the trash and can't seem to find it. How can I redeem this?

Also GF just moved to a new place. No internet yet. Useless with our iPhones? I read an article about Google announcing at I/O a mode to use Chromecast without a router/internet connection. Is this active yet?
There is a guest mode, but it is only for Android. You would need a router to set it up anyway and would have to screen mirror everything anyway, so it wouldn't have really helped.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You need internet to redeem...

Kathian

Banned
Hi all,

Thinking about picking up one for my brother. If he uses Netflix for another region on his laptop, is there any issues just streaming straight to the chromecast?

thespot84

Hi all,

Thinking about picking up one for my brother. If he uses Netflix for another region on his laptop, is there any issues just streaming straight to the chromecast?

yes, netflix uses DNS to determine your location. Chromecast will be the device connecting to netflix, and the DNS is baked into the device (it's google DNS). You'll need to get something to unlock your region (adfreetime has a service where you point to their DNS servers and they tell netflix you're anywhere you want) but for chromecast you'll have to BLOCK the baked in google dns at the router level in order to force it to your new DNS. Not particularly fun.

Quasar

Though with recent versions of the android netflix app they have somehow baked in the google DNS. I know for me I had to revert to an earlier version of netflix for it to work anymore.

Got mine today. It's beautiful when combined with plex. I love the chrome browser plugin too. Works great with giantbomb and things like that. Really happy with this thing.

Loving the chromecast. Bought the Plex app from google play since its on sale. Have the amazon free version but its so outdated. (wtf amazon?)

How does one get Plex to run with AC3 passthrough? Read that google enabled AC3 on Chromecast but not DTS.... yet.

Oni Jazar

Got Chromecast for Christmas and really enjoying it. Used the $20 offer to watch The Interview. :D Signed up for 3 months google music and 3 months Hulu. Nice!

Dwayne

Hey, got a chromecast today for my parents. We set up plex media server on their computer, and had it streaming just fine to the TV. My question is, after starting a file on the Pc, is there a way we can control it on a phone? Otherwise if they want to pause they'll have to get up and go to another room, not so great. I tried logging in to the Web app but couldn't see a way to control the currently playing video. Cheers

Hey, got a chromecast today for my parents. We set up plex media server on their computer, and had it streaming just fine to the TV. My question is, after starting a file on the Pc, is there a way we can control it on a phone? Otherwise if they want to pause they'll have to get up and go to another room, not so great. I tried logging in to the Web app but couldn't see a way to control the currently playing video. Cheers

You just use the app and control it from your phone. Then you can stream to any TV you wish

Dwayne

Do you mean the Web app or the Android google play store app? Phone isn't grunty enough to broadcast to the TV, that's why I want it casting from the Pc. If I try starting a video with the Web app, it plays on my phone. If something is already playing from the Pc, there's no clear way to control it from my phone with the Web app. Cheers

Do you mean the Web app or the Android google play store app? Phone isn't grunty enough to broadcast to the TV, that's why I want it casting from the Pc. If I try starting a video with the Web app, it plays on my phone. If something is already playing from the Pc, there's no clear way to control it from my phone with the Web app. Cheers

Yeah can't help you there than. I always use the play store app and its seamless.

Quasar

The phone doesn't broadcast like airplay it really just works like a remote. all the app on a phone does is tell the chromecast the url to stream. so really any phone should be able to do that.

That said, to get a device to take over control of a video played by the plex web app I think starting the plex phone app and then selecting the chromecast button should then give you control. i've done that with other apps, so
I assume plex can work that way

Dwayne

Thanks guys. After a bit of thought were going to return it and go with a fire TV instead, will be a lot easier for them to use and maintain in the long term.

Spinluck

it is a great little device. It depends on what are you planning to use it for. In the US seems a must have device since most streaming services support it. In euroland since netflix is almost no existant it is less useful but i use it all the time for music and youtube and local streaming with plex from laptop

I bought it and like it. I wish there was a Plex official thread or something.

I bought it but have no clue how it works exactly. I remember back in the days when I had my PS3 media server setup, life was good then! Is there some guide to this? I'm usually on top of these things.

I bought it but have no clue how it works exactly. I remember back in the days when I had my PS3 media server setup, life was good then! Is there some guide to this? I'm usually on top of these things.

That is a great thread idea! Start it!

Quasar

Its as simple ad PS3 Media Server really. Install server and then create libraries depending on what medias you have. Then it tries to grab the metadata for your files. I guess the hardest part is file naming if you never used xbmc or similar before. And thats only really hard in the time consuming sense.

Top Bottom