• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

cynostic

Jumping on the bandwagon with this - just picked one up the other night. Absolutely fantastic. Trying Media Browser for now which seems nice, but a bit of a clunky interface.

Might have to grab that crunchyroll subscription too, persuading me to get back into anime.

So i've got photos, video media and tab casting which is all pretty epic. Anything else I might be missing out on?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hey guys.

I've just enabled Chromecast support on our stream player. Could some of you give it a try a tell me if 1080p60 works? For me it gets out of sync and it pauses, it doesn't seem to be buffering but simply the Chromecast not being able to handle the bitrate, but I'd rather be sure :)
All other resolutions starting with 1080p30 and below (include 720p60) work perfectly well.
My test video is the MGSV E3 trailer, but it's enabled for all videos:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_m..._phantom_pain_e3_60_fps_trailer-32536_en.html
Make sure you use the html5 version and you should see the Cast button in the lower right corner of the actual player.

Thanks!

eznark

Banned
Hey guys.

I've just enabled Chromecast support on our stream player. Could some of you give it a try a tell me if 1080p60 works? For me it gets out of sync and it pauses, it doesn't seem to be buffering but simply the Chromecast not being able to handle the bitrate, but I'd rather be sure :)
All other resolutions starting with 1080p30 and below (include 720p60) work perfectly well.
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_m..._phantom_pain_e3_60_fps_trailer-32536_en.html
Make sure you use the html5 version and you should see the Cast button in the lower right corner of the actual player.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how difficult was it to do?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Jumping on the bandwagon with this - just picked one up the other night. Absolutely fantastic. Trying Media Browser for now which seems nice, but a bit of a clunky interface.

Might have to grab that crunchyroll subscription too, persuading me to get back into anime.

So i've got photos, video media and tab casting which is all pretty epic. Anything else I might be missing out on?

Just make sure you have all of your accounts hooked up via an Android app like Hulu, Netflix, or HBOGO!

Also Watchespn was just added if you are a fellow sports bro!

NH Apache

Banned
Hey guys.

Thanks!
I'll give it a shot when I go home for lunch and edit this post with how it works. All the chromecast love lately has been amazing!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Out of curiosity, how difficult was it to do?

About as difficult as signing up for a chromecast dev and app id and adding 2 lines in the player configuration. Jwplayer added support for chromecast in version 6.9, released yesterday, it's extremely easy :)

joelseph

I have a hard time keeping a non-pixelated stream running from hulu over my chromecast device. Is there anything I can do on the software side of things to try and remedy this or is this a hardware issue? ie have to move it closer to the AP? This is the only device I have issues with streaming.

NH Apache

Banned
I have a hard time keeping a non-pixelated stream running from hulu over my chromecast device. Is there anything I can do on the software side of things to try and remedy this or is this a hardware issue? ie have to move it closer to the AP? This is the only device I have issues with streaming.

How far are you?

I ran into this. I ended up using a Powerline from my router in the back to near the chromecast with an old secondary router (Plugged into ethernet port (not modem port), same AP name and channel as main router, DHCP off). It extended my network and bandwidth is great, signal is great, ping increased by just a hair. Now I get HD everything.

joelseph

How far are you?

I ran into this. I ended up using a Powerline from my router in the back to near the chromecast with an old secondary router (Plugged into ethernet port, same AP name and channel as main router, DHCP off). It extended my network and bandwidth is great, signal is great, ping increased by just a hair. Now I get HD everything.

AP is in a downstairs den. Device is upstairs on the far wall. I am going to try and run a setup similar to yours and see if it helps.

NH Apache

Banned
AP is in a downstairs den. Device is upstairs on the far wall. I am going to try and run a setup similar to yours and see if it helps.

Yup. I live in a shotgun style house (long 1 level) and while my tablet and phone work in the front room, the chromecast is just behind a little wall and would show 3 bar on the main display. I would get drops a lot from Plex and Netflix would constantly buffer and then show pixellated.

After, I got 5 bar (like 3 feet from the broadcasting router) and haven't looked back. I get better bandwidth on my portable devices and console up there, too. I was surprised at how well Powerline works, especially for the 30 dollar investment.

BlingBang

Neo Member
Hey guys.

Thanks!

I just checked it and it worked pretty well besides some audio interruptions. And btw the Cast button was on the upper left for me ;)

kehs

Banned
I've actually been enjoying the shit out of youtube playlists for like an hour.

I tried so hard to do this effective on google tv. 😭

kehs

Banned
Google: recognize my google music casts and load up music videos please.

Also, is there such a thing as a remote control for chromecast? Like physical buttons for pause/play/volume/etc?

Just picked one up and I'm loving it. Mostly wanted to get it to stream movies and UFC streams to the TV without having a big hookup of my MBP to HDMI to TV situation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Don't see it mentioned in this thread, but a lot of recent phones can now screen mirror to the chromecast.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still no word on an updated version, right? Not that it's an expensive device, but I would hate to buy one only for a faster and better version to come out a week later.

SimleuqiR

Still no word on an updated version, right? Not that it's an expensive device, but I would hate to buy one only for a faster and better version to come out a week later.

July 24th, it will be a full year since the Chromecast release. So you could hold off until August and see if there are any leaks or rumors.

My bet is that they will wait closer to the release of Android TV to come out with a new version so that they compliment each other.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
July 24th, it will be a full year since the Chromecast release. So you could hold off until August and see if there are any leaks or rumors.

My bet is that they will wait closer to the release of Android TV to come out with a new version so that they compliment each other.

Thanks, yeah, will wait until then at least.

kehs

Banned

I just bought one, and there's a new one coming out already?

Husker86

Screen casting on Nexus 5 is pretty quick. I love this thing.

Obviously a new one will come out eventually, but I'm not sure what would really change. It's not slow.

Quasar

I'd totally pay more for a remote than I paid for the chromecast.

But how would it work? Would you start the app on your phone and then switch to a separate remote?

I don't really get it, but then phone as a fully customisable remote for all your devices seemed brilliant to me. And much cheaper than buying one of those ultra expensive programmable remotes.

kehs

Banned
But how would it work? Would you start the app on your phone and then switch to a separate remote?

I don't really get it, but then phone as a fully customisable remote for all your devices seemed brilliant to me. And much cheaper than buying one of those ultra expensive programmable remotes.

I don't know man, But turning on a screen and trying to press the right soft key is bullshit in the middle of dark room.

As a google tv whore, this is a huge downfall of chromecast.

The google tv remote on android was garbage btw, cause there's no replacement for physical feedback.

Quasar

I don't know man, But turning on a screen and trying to press the right soft key is bullshit in the middle of dark room.

As a google tv whore, this is a huge downfall of chromecast.

The google tv remote on android was garbage btw, cause there's no replacement for physical feedback.

Well what I want is voice control, which is the one thing I hoped the whole androidwear might give me.

how much would a chromecast remote cost? it would need Wifi, a way to configure it from .. what, a phone/tablet? guess it would run Android... that sets a baseline on SoC/Flash/RAM ... for a remote ... yeah ... hardware buttons = more parts = more manufacturing costs ... then it would be sold for profit etc ...

Obviously a new one will come out eventually, but I'm not sure what would really change. It's not slow.

It's pretty underpowered. How much so? Enough that you literally cannot fast-forward/rewind a movie on the thing (you can skip forward, but you can't play anything at a speed above its normal play speed), because it's not powerful enough to handle doing that for the highest-end codecs it can decode.

Quasar

It's pretty underpowered. How much so? Enough that you literally cannot fast-forward/rewind a movie on the thing (you can skip forward, but you can't play anything at a speed above its normal play speed), because it's not powerful enough to handle doing that for the highest-end codecs it can decode.

Well I think that kind of stuff will be kept for AndroidTV.

For a v2 I'd mostly just expect more modern wifi (dual band and maybe even AC support).

Well I think that kind of stuff will be kept for AndroidTV.

For a v2 I'd mostly just expect more modern wifi (dual band and maybe even AC support).

I think there will be a power bump, enough to do simple things like that (and maybe even enough to support HEVC/H.265), but not enough start thinking about things like playing games or rendering particularly complex websites. That's the stuff I see them saving for AndroidTV.

kehs

Banned
Well what I want is voice control, which is the one thing I hoped the whole androidwear might give me.

Android wear is a good venue. I'm actually looking forward to that, though the distance authentication kinda has me worried. Their I/O demo had it not working further than a few feet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how much would a chromecast remote cost? it would need Wifi, a way to configure it from .. what, a phone/tablet? guess it would run Android... that sets a baseline on SoC/Flash/RAM ... for a remote ... yeah ... hardware buttons = more parts = more manufacturing costs ... then it would be sold for profit etc ...

Use HDMI-CEC so your TV remote transport and navigation controls get passed to the chromecast

Not sure if old or not but thanks to the screen cast in the chromecast app I can play music from spotify through the television. I guess it will do until they play ball and cast through the actual Spotify app.

Quasar

Not sure if old or not but thanks to the screen cast in the chromecast app I can play music from spotify through the television. I guess it will do until they play ball and cast through the actual Spotify app.

Yeah. That provides a workaround for a number of media services who are too lazy / in the pocket of a competitor to add in chromecast support to their apps.

Yeah. That provides a workaround for a number of media services who are too lazy / in the pocket of a competitor to add in chromecast support to their apps.

It's strange that some of these companies arent playing nice. I thought everyone would jump on board.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Considering how cheap this thing is and how much use I've gotten out of it I'm totally fine with getting a new one down the road for the same price in another couple years.

As of now though it does eveything I want it to. The SWMBO and I use it for Netflix/HBO Go/Google Play all the time, and I use it for WatchESPN.

Best cheap tech gadget on the market IMO.

NH Apache

Banned
Considering how cheap this thing is and how much use I've gotten out of it I'm totally fine with getting a new one down the road for the same price in another couple years.

As of now though it does eveything I want it to. The SWMBO and I use it for Netflix/HBO Go/Google Play all the time, and I use it for WatchESPN.

My non-tech wife was throwing a bridal shower at the house while I was out.

Withing 10 minutes, she had a slideshow of the bride showing on the TV with her iphone.

Ease of use and cost, this thing cannot be beat.

Quasar

It is the best basic streaming thing I've tried. I need a more feature rich version though, which I hope I might get in a AndroidTV box. Namely ethernet and more more/better codec support.

kehs

Banned
My dearest Netflix,

Please implement a Chromecast queue and an autoplay next episode feature(not unlike the web interface implementation).

Beloved,

Everyone in the world.

yyzjohn

Banned
My dearest Netflix,

Please implement a Chromecast queue and an autoplay next episode feature(not unlike the web interface implementation).

Beloved,

Everyone in the world.

Netflix said it's coming, I remember reading that sometime this year.

Top Bottom