• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

So I've been trying out the Chromecast with the mirroring...is the mirroring not HD? And when I mirror a webpage that streams video, I'm seeing a lot of jittering - is that normal?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I've been trying out the Chromecast with the mirroring...is the mirroring not HD? And when I mirror a webpage that streams video, I'm seeing a lot of jittering - is that normal?
From a phone or from a computer? Stupidly it works great from my cellphone, but my PC which can play battlefield 4 at 1080p and simultaneously record a stream of it, isn't powerful enough to stream a webpage to the chromecast at 720p.

NH Apache

Banned
As I've said a couple of times, it is heavily based on network strength.

Cell/tablet mirroring goes in HD for me. I also am able to cast a tab (watch espn) and it shows in 720p-ish (hardwired desktop).

Quasar

Interesting to see that Hulu now is allowing the android app access to the free content, though they are blocking casting within the app to subscribers only.

OS Level mirroring to the Chromecast still works though (though for me thats SD or less it seems).

Quasar

What's the best way to Steam video files over chromecast?

From your PC or something? I use Plex, which I find pretty much perfect. Its a variant of XBMC if you are familiar with that is a server program you install on your PC, and Chromecast enabled clients you put on your phone or tablet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, weird. I found the case screen option but it can't find my Chromecast.

I think I'll try the Plex option though because most of my videos are on my PC anyway.

teiresias

I completely don't know when it happened, but I just realized Doggcatcher supports Chromecast now. This is a gamechanger for me since it's my podcast aggregater of choice!

AndyD

aka andydumi
How can I cast videos stored on a network drive? A drive plugged into my router, so not on a PC that can run Plex server.

NH Apache

Banned
I completely don't know when it happened, but I just realized Doggcatcher supports Chromecast now. This is a gamechanger for me since it's my podcast aggregater of choice!

Podcast addict also has an option for chromecast as well. It's my new player of choice because of its cost (free) and BeyondPod requires the pay key to chromecast.

MNC

Hey guys.

I've just enabled Chromecast support on our stream player. Could some of you give it a try a tell me if 1080p60 works? For me it gets out of sync and it pauses, it doesn't seem to be buffering but simply the Chromecast not being able to handle the bitrate, but I'd rather be sure :)
All other resolutions starting with 1080p30 and below (include 720p60) work perfectly well.
My test video is the MGSV E3 trailer, but it's enabled for all videos:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_m..._phantom_pain_e3_60_fps_trailer-32536_en.html
Make sure you use the html5 version and you should see the Cast button in the lower right corner of the actual player.

Thanks!
question, why is this necessary? I just bought the Chromecast (godlike that you can keep browsing other tabs while it plays) but I thought you could mirror any tab? Why did you have to "adapt" to Chromecast?

NH Apache

Banned
question, why is this necessary? I just bought the Chromecast (godlike that you can keep browsing other tabs while it plays) but I thought you could mirror any tab? Why did you have to "adapt" to Chromecast?

The 1080p60frames part. Casting tabs is maybe 20-25 frames if I had to guess.

How good/bad does the desktop streaming work? I want to stream my desktop without having to run my long hdmi cable anymore. Is it still problematic or is it solid?

TxdoHawk

Those impressions on tab casting seem kind of insane.

I was just experimenting with 1080p60 casting via the beta plugin (older gaming desktop, i5 2500k) and I was able to play a 1080p video off Vimeo full-screen and windowed with no stuttering (aside from a slight bit of pause when I full-screened the video.) Looking at Task Manager, CPU is at about 26% utilization when casting a windowed 1080p video, about 40% fullscreen, definitely not taxing my system.

That said, I'm running gigabit from the desktop to a high-end ASUS router sitting maybe ten feet from the dongle. Are you guys sure you're not network constrained?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those impressions on tab casting seem kind of insane.

I was just experimenting with 1080p60 casting via the beta plugin (older gaming desktop, i5 2500k) and I was able to play a 1080p video off Vimeo full-screen and windowed with no stuttering (aside from a slight bit of pause when I full-screened the video.) Looking at Task Manager, CPU is at about 26% utilization when casting a windowed 1080p video, about 40% fullscreen, definitely not taxing my system.

That said, I'm running gigabit from the desktop to a high-end ASUS router sitting maybe ten feet from the dongle. Are you guys sure you're not network constrained?
My computer is ethernet to an airport extreme sat maybe 10 inches from my chromecast, it's definitely not a network issue, besides my Galaxy S4 can stream just fine.

Wellscha

hey Chromecasters! i had this little device for a while and love it! though, I do have an issue that is driving me nuts, I'm tab casting a flash video of a CFB I'm watching, the thing is whenever i command tab a game I'm playing, the video start losing audio feed then stops. The thing is, when I command tab back to Chrome the video resumes without a hitch. Any tips?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So whenever I cast from Crunchyroll on Android, I get ads. Whenever I cast it from my iPod Touch, it has no ads. WTF?

FinKL

hey Chromecasters! i had this little device for a while and love it! though, I do have an issue that is driving me nuts, I'm tab casting a flash video of a CFB I'm watching, the thing is whenever i command tab a game I'm playing, the video start losing audio feed then stops. The thing is, when I command tab back to Chrome the video resumes without a hitch. Any tips?

I've had that happen and just shrugging it off as annoying random disconnects. Mirroring & Tab casting are still big iffys for whatever reason. I feel Chromecast is underpowered for these even with a beefy rig. I run WiFi AC and had the router right next to my Chromecast and this still happens. I think it really depends on the how demanding the tab is, I've had longer stable success streaming Soundcloud than I have Twitch (in the past) for example.

So whenever I cast from Crunchyroll on Android, I get ads. Whenever I cast it from my iPod Touch, it has no ads. WTF?
Noticed this too, had to uninstall Crunchyroll, load up the webpage and mirror the webpage on my Android phone when wanted to use it. They obviously don't know about how bad the app user experience is.

Also, I loaded up the new Sunset Overdrive youtube videos this morning on my iPhone to Chromecast and noticed there was my normal Chromecast display AND Xbox-SysOS or something like that? I'm wondering if I can beam Youtube to my Xbox One (ala Chromecast style) somehow, I don't even know why it would display. I'll have to test this when I get home.

DonDraper

Banned
Just picked up one of these and love it. I do have an issue though. I'm using my LG G3 to cast Netflix and the quality is not quite up to par with what I was getting streaming through my PS4. Its not as clean and I can notice pixels. Anything I can do?

SimleuqiR

Just picked up one of these and love it. I do have an issue though. I'm using my LG G3 to cast Netflix and the quality is not quite up to par with what I was getting streaming through my PS4. Its not as clean and I can notice pixels. Anything I can do?

That's odd. I find Chromecast streaming quality, specially Netflix, pretty great.

Granted, I do not have a PS4. So it's possible that via the PS4 you get a much better bit stream.

NH Apache

Banned

How far is it to the router?

Basically, it's bandwidth and signal strength determinate.

Mairu

That's odd. I find Chromecast streaming quality, specially Netflix, pretty great.

Granted, I do not have a PS4. So it's possible that via the PS4 you get a much better bit stream.

I have a PS4 and typically prefer to just use Chromecast if possible - haven't noticed anything lacking in the quality comparatively (Netflix, Crunchyroll, HBO GO is what I typically use my Chromecast for)

Quasar

I have a PS4 and typically prefer to just use Chromecast if possible - haven't noticed anything lacking in the quality comparatively (Netflix, Crunchyroll, HBO GO is what I typically use my Chromecast for)

Yeah. I have a PS4 (among other things) and I tend to prefer just using the Chromecast for streaming. I guess the limitations are related to bitrate (hopefully a wired AndroidTV box would solve this) and audio codecs.

DonDraper

Banned
How far is it to the router?

Basically, it's bandwidth and signal strength determinate.

it's probably a foot and a half to two feet away. I also tried using my iPad Mini retina & I still seem to have the same problems. Netflix will tend to have a grainy look to it. maybe I need a better router? the video quality is passable don't get me wrong but it's definitely not up there with what I was getting with my ps4. just a little annoyed and hoping there's some sort of technical thing I can do to maybe help I appreciate your guys advice

NH Apache

Banned
it's probably a foot and a half to two feet away. I also tried using my iPad Mini retina & I still seem to have the same problems. Netflix will tend to have a grainy look to it. maybe I need a better router? the video quality is passable don't get me wrong but it's definitely not up there with what I was getting with my ps4. just a little annoyed and hoping there's some sort of technical thing I can do to maybe help I appreciate your guys advice

I'd check the following:

1. Wifi bandwidth
2. Hard reset the chromecast
3. Use an app like Wifi Analyzer to see if you should switch channel

Was the PS4 hard wired?

Top Bottom