• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

NH Apache

Banned
The app Cast Store is pretty good. Ad-supported, unofficial, and user-curated, but all it does is link to the Play Store.

Awesome, thanks.

Because of the sheer distance from my router to the main TV, I ended up using a powerline with a secondary router (DHCP off) to make sure the chromecast has good signal and bandwidth. For 30 bucks, it was a great investment, plus I have extended signal in my house too.

Time to see what other cool stuff I can do with this little device.

tirminyl

Does anyone have an opinion on if BubbleUPnP or Allcast is better for Chromecast streaming?

Honestly, I spent all of 5 minutes with Allcast and just stuck with BubbleUPnP. What I like about Bubble is that I can queue content. So after a long day of work, a workout and walk with the dog, I want to sit on my ass and watch multiple shows in succession without doing anything. I queue it up and it plays. It's really nice because I can resume that queue the next day. I can also search content versus strictly navigating through folders. Allcast did none of this.

Just my personal opinion.

Quasar

This is a good article:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2152484/heres-whats-still-missing-from-chromecast.html

It boggles my mind that watch ESPN and other heavy hitters are hesitant to put their apps on Chromecast even though it is successful. I don't get why is Google getting shunned.

Any ideas?

Well for apps that already support Airplay I'm pretty confused (the only logical reason is exclusive deals with Apple), but for cases where not even airplay on ios is supported I guess its all about potentially weakening cable deals.

Allforce

I'm curious if this chrome cast device fills my (specific) needs.

We don't have cable, but have a family members login for various network channels streaming websites (ESPN, NBC sports live extra, TNT OT, etc)

I'm mainly wanting this for sports, as it stands now to watch sports on our TV I just plug my laptop in via HDMI and go full screen on the video, it'd be nice if I could just stream it from the laptop in another room and skip the step of hooking it all up whenever we want to watch a game out in the living room.

Is this possible or is this primarily for using dedicated apps like Netflix, HULU, etc? Do sites like ESPN AND NBC where I just watch in a browser window work or is it glitchy? I can't find a concrete answer to this.

Quasar

Its mostly for use with dedicated apps.

But you can display whole Chrome browser tabs through it. That does work, but its not perfect. I've used it for plain old Hulu for instance. The not perfect part is that the PC has to create the stream for the chromecast.

DrSlek

I'm curious if this chrome cast device fills my (specific) needs.

We don't have cable, but have a family members login for various network channels streaming websites (ESPN, NBC sports live extra, TNT OT, etc)

I'm mainly wanting this for sports, as it stands now to watch sports on our TV I just plug my laptop in via HDMI and go full screen on the video, it'd be nice if I could just stream it from the laptop in another room and skip the step of hooking it all up whenever we want to watch a game out in the living room.

Is this possible or is this primarily for using dedicated apps like Netflix, HULU, etc? Do sites like ESPN AND NBC where I just watch in a browser window work or is it glitchy? I can't find a concrete answer to this.

If you install Chrome (if you don't have it already) and then install the chromecast plugin, you can quite easily send a tab to the TV and then enter fullscreen mode.

The only real problem with this is that you can end up with a slightly lower framerate when doing this.
I use it to watch RedLetterMedia videos on my TV before they're uploaded to youtube. I find it to be perfectly watchable.

Merguson

Banned
Recently bought a Chromecast in Canada.. haven't tried anything but Netflix on it. Works good so far.

The only problem is that Netflix-Chromecast seems to ignore my quality preferences. I have bandwidth caps so a lower-quality stream is sometimes required. Chromecast seems to ignore it. I looked for fixes but the only one was to mess around with the router and I don't want to do that.

EDIT: I might have used the wrong profile for playback settings. I`ll check later.

Yondy604

Banned
Hey guys!, I just bought a chrome cast.

i got streaming working from phone (youtube)
I got streaming working from websites (chrome cast app)

How do I play video's I have already downloaded on my PC, and wanna watch them on the TV?

daoster

You guys think ESPN is gonna announce chromecast support before the start of the world cup? Kinda want to use it to stream it at work..

SZGF

Banned
Chromecast is out in Australia!

But I have no idea how to get it to work with my router. I have a billion 7800N and I notice no billion devices at all in their compatibility list. Am I screwed GAF?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I believe Chromecast only works over 2.4 GHz on 802.11n. If you're using a dual-band router, or a 5 GHz router, that could be a problem.

Quasar

Chromecast is out in Australia!

But I have no idea how to get it to work with my router. I have a billion 7800N and I notice no billion devices at all in their compatibility list. Am I screwed GAF?

It should work with any router I'd think. Well as long as you are using 2.4ghz for your network.

NH Apache

Banned
New app support for Chromecast launched today

WatchESPN
MLS Matchday
Crunchyroll
Google+ Photos

Yes! Party time!

tumblr_m1r48ymupj1rshp7vo1_250.gif

Talon

I believe Chromecast only works over 2.4 GHz on 802.11n. If you're using a dual-band router, or a 5 GHz router, that could be a problem.
Yeah, it's a real bummer for me, as the ASUS RT-AC56U has major 2.4 GHz issues - literally 1/5 the throughput.

:(

Quasar

Nobody got time for that!

We got WatchESPN that's the megaton. Now Chromecast is 90% feature complete compared to the competition.

Eww. Sportsball TV.

As for crunchyroll, Its unfortunate that the android client still is SD, so if you control it with an android client you get SD, whilst if you use a ios device to control the chromecast you get HD.

DrSlek

Him. Suddenly today I can't stream from play movies. Every time I connect the play movies app to the Chromecast it instantly closes anything I attempt to play.

All other forms of streaming seem to work though. Youtube and tab streaming seem to be working fine.

All I wanted to do was watch an episode of Breaking Bad!

Talon

I didnt realise there were 5Ghz only routers out there. I figured they were either 2.4 or dual.
The router and most of my devices are dual band, so I stick to 5 Ghz. The 2.4 Ghz band is fucked on the router, and it appears to be a hardware issue after having doing some digging (DDWRT and Tomato forums).

thespot84

an update for chrome users:

I updated chrome to Version 37.0.2031.2 dev-m. The google cast extension was creating a "utility:" process that was using 13% of my CPU perpetually. I had to disable it, and can't locate a fix yet. Just a heads up if you notice your chrome is super slow and have google cast installed.

NH Apache

Banned
Chromecast is sponsoring the Tactical Cam view for ESPN3, at least for the Croatia vs Brazil game. Must be trying to push popularity for the new watchespn capability.

DSN2K

thinking of buying Chromcast for my mother, few questions....main thing for her will be seeing photos from her phone or Ipad on the TV. IS there specific app for this ?

Quasar

Any apps on the play store that have dubbed anime with chrome cast support? UK netflix has literally nothing on there.

Are there even any other UK services anywhere that offer dubbed anime. Even the us its just netflix, hulu and funimation. Everywhere else its as god intended.

Just what anime streaming services of any kind are there in tne UK? Netflix, CR....?

DrFurbs

I don't think I'd buy another chrome cast. Mine is awful because it randomly loses connection. Really annoying when you want to pause something out start a film. Resetting the router is the only thing that appears to fix it. My wife and I both have nexus phones.

Any idea why this happens?

sca2511

I don't think I'd buy another chrome cast. Mine is awful because it randomly loses connection. Really annoying when you want to pause something out start a film. Resetting the router is the only thing that appears to fix it. My wife and I both have nexus phones.

Any idea why this happens?

Have you tried returning it to be replaced or contacting support? I used to get a problem where it'd hang if I played too much YouTube, but it seems like that's been fixed.

sca2511

No I think I might just do that. Would it be okay if I returned it in a jiffy bag because I dumped the box I think.

I'm not exactly sure, I guess you'd have to inquire about it when you contact them. I'd assume that you'd just have to pack it up really well.

Top Bottom