• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS! Read first post for information.

bluemax said:
I hope by bringing Chrono Trigger back people will finally realize what an overrated piece of shit the game is.
2a4tpaa.jpg

Dali

Kind of hard for me to get excited about this unless the new content is really something. I've never been one to jizz my pants over $quare (yeah, I know, but it fits so fucking well when they do something like this) porting their games over to anything with a graphics chip and a screen. This is like the Square PSN announcement thread all over again, where I feel like I'm in bizarro world and everyone is unduly excited over what amounts to very little.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Golden Darkness said:
So it won't be anything like that fan retranslation I read about months back?

Oh god, that was too funny (in a horrible way).

I admit to being a Japanophile, but that shit was just too funny.

Dreavus

I have yet to see the scan for myself, but if this is true... I definitely cannot wait! :D

I haven't played CT in a looong time and this would be the perfect way to jump back in. :D

Jiggy

I hope they add Aim Tabs. I bumped Marle's and Lucca's Power stats to ** along with everyone else just because I played through the game enough times to do so, but I want it to have an effect!

Anyway, this will be mind-blowing. :O Still my fourth favorite RPG ever, and my third favorite predominantly single-player RPG, and my second favorite single-player-only RPG. And I heavily prefer portable games to non-portable, so basically all they would have to do is not hurt the gameplay or music and this would already be the superior version to me. That said, I know it's a super longshot, but I'll be quietly hoping for playable Schala and/or
Glenn
to go along with the obligatory uber bonus dungeon.

Sidenote. The DS is beating SNES for me in part with its own new and awesome games (Pokemon series multiplayer, Advance Wars series, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents series, The World Ends With You, Meteos, Etrian Odyssey series, and so many more) and in part by taking SNES' best games and making improvements. Kirby Super Star, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, now Chrono Trigger... What a system. :O

And this is even more true if accounting for GBA backwards compatibility, although not all of the various SNES ports there were necessarily improved. (Strongest example: the voices added to A Link to the Past. :/ Wait, no, even stronger example: the horrible, painful, awful battle slowdown added to Tales of Phantasia. D: )

Anyway, yeah. DAY ONE.

miguel_c_hammer said:
I know for a fact that the kind of people who will [be hyper-ecstatic] because of this are the types who've already played through it a hundred times on SNES.
That's some "fact." I've only played through it maybe 30-45 times at most. :D

Aeana said:
As far as I've heard, they're keeping Woolsey's original script, with some of the errors corrected.
Excellent! I especially hope they fix a certain error of epic proportions in one of the endings, where Lucca
basically chastises herself for turning off her brain
when it was clearly supposed to be Marle. Bugged me all twelve or so times I saw it. :(

nestea

Chrono Trigger sure does suck eh guyz? I bet you all want to quote me and flame me now eh! Haha, I am quite the rapscallion aren't I?

TreIII

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh god, that was too funny (in a horrible way).

I admit to being a Japanophile, but that shit was just too funny.

Exactly. The literal translation just lacks the overall charm of the translated script.

Hopefully, the fact that the original game has already been translated would imply that a localization wouldn't take forever to do.

Teknoman

_leech_ said:
I love this pic so much, Marle casting the wrong element :lol

lol yeah when I used to have the SNES cartridge, I was wondering what happened there. Also dont they fight that guy in an underground cave?

batbeg

Propagandhim said:
C'mon guys, this isn't that exciting. We've all beaten this game at least 2 times.

Never played it. Well, I tried it on an emulator, but the ROM was corrupt and emulation doesn't do it for me, so... I'd like it being put on a region-free system or released in my region this time.

That said I fear this is just hyped to ridiculously extreme levels like a few other SNES classics I didn't enjoy as much as I apparently should have :-\ Still, yay!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Propagandhim said:
C'mon guys, this isn't that exciting. We've all beaten this game at least 2 times.

And we've all got every ending as well... I hope they include the PS cut-scenes and orchestrate the music =D.

if true i'm interested. I already own these games that are remade/enhanced. But i can't help myself. Square knows i'm too weak and can't resist rebuying their games!

Teknoman

rainer516 said:
Already did that with PSX rerelease.

Seriously? I dont remember seeing any connections.

Though I do hope they keep those anime cutscenes or make new ones for the DS game.

Leezard

I've only played this for the PSOne, and those loading times sure does ruin the experience. I really look forward to this.

Kandinsky

NewLib said:
The one great thing out of this if it is true is that Square recognizes that the Chrono series exists for the first time in like 8 years.
This.

Man i really hope this is real, but for some reason i just cant see it happening D:

batbeg said:
Never played it. Well, I tried it on an emulator, but the ROM was corrupt and emulation doesn't do it for me, so... I'd like it being put on a region-free system or released in my region this time.

That said I fear this is just hyped to ridiculously extreme levels like a few other SNES classics I didn't enjoy as much as I apparently should have :-\ Still, yay!

I thought it was the greatest thing ever when I first played it, but it's hard to say how good I'd still think it is relative to what I know about gaming now.

Hmmm, another thing to ask, implying this is true, how will the music be handled? Try to use the same samples and try to reproduce it sound by sound, or do what they did for the FFIV DS version?

After all, memories of the SNES original soundtracks of all Square games are hard to replace...

Propagandhim said:

No, the PS1 port wasn't exciting.

But if this turns out to be a full remake, then yes, it is worth getting excited about. And I've played through the game at least five times.

Firestorm said:
Bannable offense.
BANNABLE OFFENSE.
I swear to god people >=o
I'm going to support this notion. It's one reason I can barely read the gaming side. Evil teases like this that get my hopes up but only to stomp on my heart. Yes, EVIL.

Teknoman

All I need to do is hear the boss music, Frog, Robo, or the main theme song...and any gameplay quirks that might be noticeable will fade away.

Also im a pretty big FFIV fan boy, and the DS version soundtrack sounds pretty much like the SNES game, except a little better.

nestea

batbeg said:

Maybe it's because all those games are over a decade old and won't have the same impact on you after seeing and playing any recent games.

Totz

Teknoman said:

Though I do hope they keep those anime cutscenes or make new ones for the DS game.

The anime cutscenes are the connections. You know,
Lucca finding a baby Kid, Crono, Marle and Frog somehow DYING AT THE HANDS OF UNKNOWN MOTHERFUCKERS WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN REVEALED IN CC
, stuff like that.

Teknoman said:

Ending PSX FMV Spoilers
the ending fmv shows Chrono & Marle getting married, and near the end Lucca discoveres Kid as a baby.

Teknoman

Totz said:
Lucca finding a baby Kid, Crono, Marle and Frog somehow DYING AT THE HANDS OF UNKNOWN MOTHERFUCKERS WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN REVEALED IN CC
, stuff like that.

Ok im gonna have to go back through Chrono Trigger PS1 and Chrono Cross.

DiddyBop

I enjoyed chrono cross a lot more but CT is a nice lil game to be able to play on the DS. im not that surprised really. DS is the perfect system to milk old games on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Totz said:
, stuff like that.

Goddamn them for doing that =(

It didnt even really add anything

MrDaravon

Totz said:
, stuff like that.

I could be wrong, but the only scenes I remember them adding were
Lucca finding baby kid, and a generic town/castle on fire with the message that Guardia fell in whatever year. Don't remember anything about Frog, or them going into any very specifics about what happened.
Again it's been forever, I only beat it once when it first came out on PS1 and never touched it again.

Top Bottom