• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ |OT| Don't you know that I'm toxic?

gaiages

Banned
I saw Impey's fangs, but I thought it was a male version of the female 'moe-fangs' that are seen in most anime. The reveal surprised me too.

Ah yeah, I can see why you would think that.
I blame not noticing them at all on my old people eyes :p

That calendar pic is <3

I'm only on chapter 3, but I really like the cast so far. I thought that I would eventually get annoyed by Impey's antics, but surprisingly I'm not. I think it's because of how the rest the cast reacts to him and it is very funny. The soundtrack is very nice, so I might end up importing it later. Also, I'm thinking about getting a PSTV later, so I can play C:R on the big screen. Unfortunately, I found out that I can't use my PlayStation gold headset on it, so what type of headphones do you guys use on the PSTV?

Hmm... I forget, do you use a DualShock 3 or 4 with the PSTV? I know with the DS4 you can plug headsets into the controller if you have the right type, but beyond that I'm really not sure :(

Hmm... I forget, do you use a DualShock 3 or 4 with the PSTV? I know with the DS4 you can plug headsets into the controller if you have the right type, but beyond that I'm really not sure :(
Oh, I don't have a PSTV yet, but I'm definitely getting one soon and I only have a DualShock 3.

The headphone port on the DS4 isn't enabled on the PSTV.
Hmm... I guess that I'm going to have to figure something out.

JPS Kai

Looks like I'm well on the way to my first ending, judging by the save icon and how somber the story's gotten:
Abraham.

pariah164

Victor Frankenstein Good End route complete!

You know how I roll; feelings on the route, in gif form:

izInkdr.gif

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as Impey's, either.

Good Ending:
This whole route was drama drama drama. Granted, Impey's had drama too, but his personality made it feel not so heavy. This one? Not so much. The drama turned on after I locked into Victor's route, and did not stop till the Good Ending was achieved. This time, Victoria was the big bad, which wasn't really a surprise; I knew it would happen sooner or later. Of course, Cardia and Victor thwart her plans, despite the fact that this time around, Cardia was at risk of becoming a real monster because of Finis. FINIS IS SUCH A DICK YOU GUYS. Others things to note include Victor actually figuring out how to cure the heroine, plus having it stick. Daily medicine win! And again, a whole mansion to themselves. I want more glorious snogging, you two. Also impressive was Cardia making the moves, this time around. She's the first to fall in love, and the first to confess. Not surprising, since Victor is Victor.
All in all, I liked it, but it was just so drama-filled; it lacked a bit of balance, I think.

Thoughts on Victor... The very first thing I noted was his lack of stamina. I guess it makes sense, him being the brainy type in the presence of all these manly men, but still. He is slightly adorkable, but not as adorkable as Kent in Amnesia. I usually have a weakness for the megane character, but oddly enough, not this time. He just didn't make my heart flutter. Victor's whole character is kind of angst-ridden because of spoiler/plot reasons, but the times he's being natural, he's cute, and once the route was done, I could see why Cardia fell for him. Overall, decent. 7/10.

Once again, it's time for screencaps.

Some lines do trot into adorkable territory, as I said.

I was expecting this effect, and wasn't disappointed.

And once again, fanservice! (Spoilers for Vic's Extra scenario.)

Yes, the heroine is undressing him, though not for the reasons I was hoping.

With that, onward to Saint-Germain's route!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Glad everyone is loving the game!

Impressions are great too! :)

Here are some Code: Realize chibis for those that need an extra dose of cute~

p1TvlTF.jpg

gaiages

Banned
I'll be honest, I only liked Victor's path a lot because I know the Frankenstein novel really well and liked trying to find references to the original story. Otherwise, it was kind of on the meh side.

And those chibis are super duper adorbs <3

pariah164

Saint-Germain Good End route cleared.

I need two gifs to express how I felt about this route:

and

Good Ending: Hooo boy. Where do I even fucking begin?
I thought it would be played straight. I really did. Some crisis would befall Cardia, and Sainty-G would come save the day. NOPE. He IS the crisis. He tried to kill Cardia, and I immediately got shades of Ukyo's route from Amnesia (the comparisons just keep rolling in). He got a little yandere, but it didn't bug me as much as a certain other Amnesia guy's route did because Germain actually DID spend time with Cardia, and Cardia genuinely fell in love with him before he pulled that junk. And it was also because he was torn three ways between duty, his guilt, and his love for a woman who by all rights shouldn't exist. He's working for Eve, AKA Omnibus, and the whole thing was about defying fate. Yet again, nailing my weakness for stories that are about that. This story was the best, especially the post-credits scene with her and Saint-Germain traveling, leading a nomadic lifestyle yet still getting together with the others often. There is the nakama I've been waiting for. And when Germain finally loses his cool? Chills. CHILLS. I thought his voice was nice before, but man. DAT ACTING. Also, props to Saint-Germain for being the only one with the stones to kiss her and touch her even when she's poisonous (I know, he's the only one able to do so without dying, whatever). Despite this route being perhaps even more full of drama than Vic's route, I loved every minute of it.
This is my favorite route so far, because the story blew me away, and his story was amazing, and just. Everything.

Non-spoiler talk about the man himself... Dude's charming. I think Lupin got some tips from him, because some of the things he said were so smooth. I loved his voice; so far, his and Impey's lines are the only ones I don't cut off once I'm done reading the line. He talks about the history of the country a lot in this route, and even though it's not the real history of London, I was still very much intrigued and never got bored. What really solidified him for me came when his route began proper.
He was so passionately in love with her, and she with him, and when he finally decided 'screw fate'... It was perfect.
10/10. Married. This may change, but I doubt it.

Screencap time~ I can't post many because holy fucking spoilers, Batman. But I will post this one, because as of right now, it's my favorite image in the game (spoilers for Chapter 8).

Get wrecked, Finis.

Like I said. Smooth.

As usual, your moment of fanservice (Saint-Germain extra scenario spoilers):

Not as good as the others, but I'll take it.

Onward, to Van Helsing's route!

gaiages

Banned
Saint-Germain Good End route cleared.

I need two gifs to express how I felt about this route:

and

Good Ending: Hooo boy. Where do I even fucking begin?
I thought it would be played straight. I really did. Some crisis would befall Cardia, and Sainty-G would come save the day. NOPE. He IS the crisis. He tried to kill Cardia, and I immediately got shades of Ukyo's route from Amnesia (the comparisons just keep rolling in). He got a little yandere, but it didn't bug me as much as a certain other Amnesia guy's route did because Germain actually DID spend time with Cardia, and Cardia genuinely fell in love with him before he pulled that junk. And it was also because he was torn three ways between duty, his guilt, and his love for a woman who by all rights shouldn't exist. He's working for Eve, AKA Omnibus, and the whole thing was about defying fate. Yet again, nailing my weakness for stories that are about that. This story was the best, especially the post-credits scene with her and Saint-Germain traveling, leading a nomadic lifestyle yet still getting together with the others often. There is the nakama I've been waiting for. And when Germain finally loses his cool? Chills. CHILLS. I thought his voice was nice before, but man. DAT ACTING. Also, props to Saint-Germain for being the only one with the stones to kiss her and touch her even when she's poisonous (I know, he's the only one able to do so without dying, whatever). Despite this route being perhaps even more full of drama than Vic's route, I loved every minute of it.
This is my favorite route so far, because the story blew me away, and his story was amazing, and just. Everything.

Hah! At the beginning of Sainty's route and... that, happened, I immediately started having flashbacks to that route in
]Amnesia. Fuck Toma. Fuck hiiiiiiiiiiim
Like Impey's, his route surprised me with how much I liked it, even if... when I think about it, I'd rate it second to worst.

jzbluz

The store where I preordered still hasn't received their stock, so I decided to buy it digitally. I've only gotten to the second chapter but for now my favorite guy is Fran since he's so adorable; Impey is my favorite in terms of looks, but he kinda annoys me for now.

I've already seen some complains about the translation. I personally don't care if a translation is literal or more liberal, as long as it flows smoothly and the intended meaning is the same. However, I'm bit perplexed why Aksys changed Fran's name to Victor, I mean, yeah, it's his name but he prefers to be called Fran (which is so much cuter). Also, I think Sisi is supposed to be Sissi (I saw the cartoon when I was a kid) but one letter less doesn't really make a difference to me.

p1TvlTF.jpg

Thanks! I'm taking Fran/Victor.

pariah164

Hah! At the beginning of Sainty's route and... that, happened, I immediately started having flashbacks to that route in
Amnesia. Fuck Toma. Fuck hiiiiiiiiiiim
Like Impey's, his route surprised me with how much I liked it, even if... when I think about it, I'd rate it second to worst.
Really? I like it the best so far.
The whole thing with Idea and fate being predetermined... I just really liked it.

Saphirax

'Stealing' Pariah's format since it's more easier than having one post talking about all the routes.

Finished Impey's good route:

Alright, so I wasn't sold on Impey at the start. I like redheads and all, but airheads? Not really. And his terrible flirting - even if it was funny, sometimes got annoying. Although I love, LOVE how Cardia would always blow him off so casually. The faces he'd make were hilarious as well. He did grow on me throughout the story though. I have to admit, as annoying as it was, his 'heroic monologues' got a few laughs from me.There were also certain points near the end of his route where, surprise, he wasn't such an airhead. Unfortunately, his route did not explain much.
And that ending... I know it's meant to be a happy one, but Cardia still hasn't been 'cured'. I foresee some difficulties in their future marriage :p.

I feel like a lot of otome games, when it comes to the main heroine, rely on 'telling and stuffing it under a rug' tactic when it comes to
1. Heroine's personality.
2. The relationship she has with her love interest.
I'm not sure why that happens to be honest, especially in a visual novel, but I'm glad Code:Realize didn't rely on such tactics. At least for Impey's route that is.

Throughout his route it's easy to see why Cardia loves him, and why he loves her back. It's actually shown more than once and I've enjoyed those moments and liked seeing their relationship progress.

Cardia is awesome. Albeit a tad bit too nice. I'm glad she's not a doormat and can take care of herself.
Her saying how she'd protect Impey was refreshing as well.
Overall, I like how their relationship developed. I thought things would develop too quickly once I started his route, but I was wrong. I'm hoping other character's routes will be just as good as Impey's! Hopefully my expectations aren't too high.
---------------------------------------------

I've noticed something odd about Frankenstein's character model. I found it weird how in the game it appears he's the tallest of the bunch. Usually his type of character would be the shortest, but I simply thought Otomate wanted to subvert that particular trope. However, there is a certain CG of everyone together and it's clear Frankenstein is the shortest. It's kinda freaky seeing his character whenever he talks because of it.

Kirie

I've finished Impey's, Fran's and just finished San's route and holy shit San's route was amazing. Definitely my favorite so far, though Impey's comes in a very close 2nd place.

Glad my husbando is at work still because I was kind of a sobbing mess at the end of it, lol. When I first started his route I was thinking "god not this shit again" especially because he was my favorite character going into the game I was prepared to be let down, but it took so many unexpected turns and ahhhhh it was just so freaking good.

Edit:

p1TvlTF.jpg

Thanks for these! Taking San's <3

gaiages

Banned
Really? I like it the best so far.
The whole thing with Idea and fate being predetermined... I just really liked it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I certainly liked it! I personally find all the paths except one to be quite good. :D And the one I don't like... well, I don't know if it's actually bad, I just didn't like it much.

Kirie

Finished the game. Holy cow what a ride. Loved it so much and will be buying the fandisc day one when it comes out in Japan, but really hope it gets localized over here too!

Final rankings: San > Impey > Fran=Lupin > Van

Even though I place Van last I still really like him and the story in his route, it's just the romance portion pacing was kinda off to me. Dat extra cg of his though >_> All the guys are great and I really enjoyed the story and side characters like Delly and Sholmes.

Speaking of...main travesty in the game is there is no Sholmes route. Why ;___;

Saphirax

I know, right?

CfBcPGG.gif

His route is sogood.
giphy.gif

I still haven't gotten over his route. Definitely packs quite an emotional punch. One of my favorites so far.

On the other hand, I just started Van's route and

tumblr_inline_mwqlvp16le1r22yj6.gif

That turned morbid fast.
This is some Saw level shit.
I like him the most. His route better not disappoint!

FinnFish

Neo Member
Just finished all the routes. I love Saint-Germain >_< I mean, I fell in Love with him at first sight - and he was the first route I played. I just knew that he was my type XD
Always smiling and with closed eyes? I knew he was hiding something, and he didn't disapoint - aw I cried, I cried - and then I was happy XD
My Ranking would be: Saint-Germain > Van Helsing > Fran=Impey=Lupin
I really liked them all (Impey always made me laugh <3) - but Saint-Germain (my absolute favourite) and Van Helsing were special for me.

Kirie

Has anyone been able to get San's normal end? Where
San ends up dying and Cardia joins Idea?
I've looked at various guides and have followed them, but the choice that's supposed to lead you to it just also leads to the good ending. Not sure if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong here.

Trying to fill out the glossary is such a huge pain ;_; no idea which ones I'm missing at this point. Might have to fully replay the game if I want to get platinum

gaiages

Banned
I thought about it more, and changed my mind.

My personal ranking is Impey=Lupin>San>Fran>>>>>>Vanny

Saint-G's route really does punch an emotional punch that Franny's just doesn't have. Thinking about it a bit more objectively, it is the better route, hands down.

And I really just... didn't like Van Helsing's route that much at all. Not actually spoilers, but:
The whole thing felt weird in terms of pacing and the story itself. I really didn't like how much of a downer that route was compared to the others, too. All of the routes have their sad moments of course, but Van has significantly more sad times, and I feel with the kinda meh story it made everything a bit weaker for his path.

Has anyone been able to get San's normal end? Where
San ends up dying and Cardia joins Idea?
I've looked at various guides and have followed them, but the choice that's supposed to lead you to it just also leads to the good ending. Not sure if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong here.

Trying to fill out the glossary is such a huge pain ;_; no idea which ones I'm missing at this point. Might have to fully replay the game if I want to get platinum

Hmm... I'm assuming you'll have to make sure his happiness isn't maxed out as well? I'd recommend restarting his whole route, and pick whatever options are bad for the character that doesn't lead you directly to a bad end. I'm guessing that's how I got Lupin's normal end, at least (since that end doesn't require a choice to determine the ending path, it's all happiness)

Kirie

I thought about it more, and changed my mind.

My personal ranking is Impey=Lupin>San>Fran>>>>>>Vanny

Saint-G's route really does punch an emotional punch that Franny's just doesn't have. Thinking about it a bit more objectively, it is the better route, hands down.

And I really just... didn't like Van Helsing's route that much at all. Not actually spoilers, but:
The whole thing felt weird in terms of pacing and the story itself. I really didn't like how much of a downer that route was compared to the others, too. All of the routes have their sad moments of course, but Van has significantly more sad times, and I feel with the kinda meh story it made everything a bit weaker for his path.

Hmm... I'm assuming you'll have to make sure his happiness isn't maxed out as well? I'd recommend restarting his whole route, and pick whatever options are bad for the character that doesn't lead you directly to a bad end. I'm guessing that's how I got Lupin's normal end, at least (since that end doesn't require a choice to determine the ending path, it's all happiness)

Agreed totally about Van. I hope they give him a really nice fandisc route because I really like his character, but felt a bit disappointed by his route overall. Poor guy goes through so much D:

I just finished trying this and it's still not working for me for some reason ;_; Not the end of the world of course, but still a tad frustrating since I wanted to see all of the endings.

gaiages

Banned
Weird, maybe it is a glitch of some sort D: Sounds like a pain... I haven't tried to get the normal endings myself, I just managed to get 2 of them do to my failure at VNs (bad choice with Impey, failed to max Lupin's happiness out somehow), but I didn't realize some of the normal ends were radically different. At least Saint-G's seems pretty interesting to watch xD

If I feel motivated to go glossary term hunting (=__________=) I'll try manipulating Sainty's normal end and see what happens, if I find something out I'll let you know!

Kirie

Weird, maybe it is a glitch of some sort D: Sounds like a pain... I haven't tried to get the normal endings myself, I just managed to get 2 of them do to my failure at VNs (bad choice with Impey, failed to max Lupin's happiness out somehow), but I didn't realize some of the normal ends were radically different. At least Saint-G's seems pretty interesting to watch xD

If I feel motivated to go glossary term hunting (=__________=) I'll try manipulating Sainty's normal end and see what happens, if I find something out I'll let you know!

I did the same for Impey and Lupin normal ending-wise xD The others seemed pretty easy to avoid their normal endings on the first go around, but those two really caught me off guard. I particularly liked Impey's though
mainly because Delly is so damn precious about making sure Cardia writes him ;_;

It's very much appreciated gaiages! Guh, I really hope it isn't a glitch because I want to see it so badly D: Not looking forward to glossary term hunting either.. might just go through a route a day so I don't get too burnt out on it. I don't usually particularly care about platinums, but for VN-style games I almost always go for them for some reason.

Edit: Was looking at the fandisc teaser movie, and it seems that they are teasing potential
Sherlock and Finis routes. Makes sense since in one of the popularity polls they were the top two for side characters. Don't care about Finis but hnnnngh gimme that Sherlock route

gaiages

Banned
Okay, I'm letting the auto-read go through another playthrough for me (lol), and here's some glossary related stuff I noticed for the early/common route. Note this information is based on a replay:

- Choosing to go with either Lupin or Impey when trying to get into London will have different results, and offer new glossary terms involving the geography of London.
- Choosing to go with Lupin at the fair unlocks the card counting glossary, and I believe Victor's has something to do with cotton candy (I can't remember). Going with Impey didn't unlock anything when I did it.
- I originally thought that the different lessons would unlock new glossary terms, but it doesn't seem like they do! Then again, I just did Lupin's and Vanny's this time, since I was getting impatient... I did Fran's the first playthough, but I don't remember any terms there either.
- Choosing who to go with for the heist doesn't matter glossary wise.

That's all for now, since I gotta do other stuff. Haven't tried any Sainty stuff yet. My Glossary on the main menu is still greyed out too :/

Fandisc stuff:
A Finis route sounds creepy as balls. But yeah I'll take the Sholmes route pls

Saphirax

Fran's route:

This is my least favorite route so far. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, however Fran is the type of character I tend to like the least. I also expected more sappy moments. And while we did get some, they felt awkward.
Awkward in the sense that they happened at the worst times possible. You can have your tender moments AFTER you prevented a catastrophe, and not while the clock is ticking.
The drama in Saint-Germain's route was fitting. However, in Fran's route it falls short mainly because there's a disconnect between Fran and
his past. To me it felt like, that while Fran was scarred and full of guilt, it did not affect him nearly as bad as he claimed it had. Not saying this just because of how he acted in general. Something about it just felt off to me. In the end it did not pack an emotional punch like Saint-Germain's route did.
I'm also quite disappointed we did not get more of these:
In the end, Fran's route didn't have an impact like the other routes.
Yet, his good ending is and probably will be (one of) the best, simply because he found the means to cure Cardia, even if it's temporary.

Saphirax

Saint-Germain's route:

An emotional rollercoaster. That's the only apt description I can give this route. At first, I was conflicted. Generally I'd be intrigued by mysterious characters such as Saint-Germain. But, something threw me off at first. Whether it was his constant smiling face with his eyes closed or his VA, I don't know. I kept wishing he'd open his damn eyes.
Then I realized only bad shit happened when he did and quickly changed from 'PLS' to 'You know what, keep 'em closed!'

I noticed some people praising his route. And once I got to
the part where he tried killing Cardia I thought those people had lost their minds. As some, I also had terrible flashbacks of Amnesia. Needless to say, I did not like the way his route was going. The fact that Saint-Germain constantly smiled through the whole ordeal of imprisoning and trying to murder Cardia was even more unnerving.

And then, suddenly, everything did a 180°.
I suspected from before that the count would be immortal. However, I expected him to be acting alone.
Everything I knew and expected suddenly got turned upside down. His (and Van Helsing's) routes almost felt like constantly getting punched in the gut.
I dreaded we'd get a lunatic obsessed with Cardia, but instead we got a troubled and guilt-filled man who let himself get too close to someone and wherever he'd turn he'd be met with regret.
With Idea and Omnibus and Saint-Germain working for them, it was clear that he was no lunatic. Finally, a tortured character who actually has a reason to be that way. There is a real sense of conflict here that(sans one bad end) I appreciated. Then there was Cardia who refused to accept it'd either have to be him or her. It was nice seeing her being conflicted as well; wanting to sacrifice herself, but in the end wanting to live AND save Saint-Germain.
And man, oh man...When Saint-Germain lost his composure near the end. That was simply brilliant. A man as guarded as he was, always hiding behind a smile to just break down like that and resort to begging;it was really touching.

The concept behind Idea and Omnibus was interesting as well. In the end (not counting other Idea apostles) it came down to four people on a bridge, all wanting to be saved in some way. I only wish we could've gotten some better insight into Omnibus.

Also, I just love this look

The ending was really sweet too. Especially:
Overall, it's my second favorite route so far.

Kirie

Okay, I'm letting the auto-read go through another playthrough for me (lol), and here's some glossary related stuff I noticed for the early/common route. Note this information is based on a replay:

- Choosing to go with either Lupin or Impey when trying to get into London will have different results, and offer new glossary terms involving the geography of London.
- Choosing to go with Lupin at the fair unlocks the card counting glossary, and I believe Victor's has something to do with cotton candy (I can't remember). Going with Impey didn't unlock anything when I did it.
- I originally thought that the different lessons would unlock new glossary terms, but it doesn't seem like they do! Then again, I just did Lupin's and Vanny's this time, since I was getting impatient... I did Fran's the first playthough, but I don't remember any terms there either.
- Choosing who to go with for the heist doesn't matter glossary wise.

That's all for now, since I gotta do other stuff. Haven't tried any Sainty stuff yet. My Glossary on the main menu is still greyed out too :/

Fandisc stuff:
A Finis route sounds creepy as balls. But yeah I'll take the Sholmes route pls

Thank you so much for this! I think that I've done everything in the common route that I can (glossary hunting) so I'm apparently missing something on one of the routes it seems :/ I wish there were a full list of glossary terms somewhere so I could see which one/s I was missing. Might give a hint to which route I need to look on. Guess I'll just start with Lupin's route and go backwards through them.

Fandisc stuffs:
I don't even know how a Finis route would work, honestly. I'd hope it wouldn't be a love route because that's creepy as fuck x_x I'd rather them just throw in a friendship route with Delly and have her helping him with his vampire community rebuilding or something instead, lol.

Best part about a Sherlock route (if it actually happens) is how Lupin is going to react xD

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, it's really good, and the climax is really good, too. I speculated that Sainty was
a vampire, and thus probably long living
, but it was obvious that both of those assumptions were wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that connected the beginning of Sainty's route with *that* path in the other game. It's funny, too, when Saint-G
brought out the knife
, I was all like "well I learned my lesson last time" and
decided not to resist (as that's clearly the insane thing to do, but clearly the female protagonist is going to be insane since I'm on a yandere path)
, and was both surprised and pleased that it led to an immediate bad end.

EDIT: @ Kirie - Yeah, probably starting with Lupin's would be the best start, considering how the path goes, lol. I just wish I could figure out how to actually *open* my Glossary menu so I could document which ones I have already! xp Ah well, another day.

Fandisc (with actual very end game spoilers!):
I assume they'll work something off that final exchange that was in the Lupin end? Like they save him, and then him and Cardia start (re)building a sibling relationship of sorts? That's the only way I could see it working.

And now that you mention it, why no Delly route!? That sounds incredibly interesting!

Kirie

Got it! Finally D:

I went through 3 full routes until I went back and decided to just see if I missed something during the first few chapters... and I did ~_~

When you ask San to teach you the first time
and you can choose to go to two separate areas, I never chose to go to Central London on subsequent playthoughs which is where the last glossary term was. I feel so stupid lol

Fandisc stuff (with late Lupin route spoilers)
That's a good point! I have to admit I laughed at that point considering he was like "I hate you :D" *falls* I hope they make something work because it kind of sounds like a throwaway at this point, but I guess it could be endearing if done properly. Yuuki Kaji did great as his seiyuu though, so major props for that at least

I'd kill for a Delly route ;_; I really wish they'd flesh out more on the vampires as a whole, so it would be perfect for this. Ah well.. Though I guess Van's fandisc route could also do this as well.

Saphirax

This has been quite the journey. Finished Code:Realize and I miss it already. So far, this is my GOTY. The game was so good. It also made me realize that I should never, ever play otome games when I have a (slight) hangover. Seriously, Van's bad ending almost reduced me to a sobbing mess. (More impressions on his and Lupin's routes later).

Van Helsing > Saint-Germain > Lupin > Impey > Frankenstein

Code:Realize has it all - interesting setting, story and characters. The art is also lovely. Honestly thinking of importing the fandisc when it comes out and giving the anime a try. (The anime will most likely be 'bad' or 'mediocre', but I need more of C:R in my life).

--------------------

And now that that's over. It's time for...favorite character poll results!

Arsène Lupin ( 2443 votes )
Abraham Van Helsing ( 1718 votes )
Saint Germain ( 1112 votes )
Victor Frankenstein ( 841 votes )
Cardia Beckford ( 761 votes )
Impey Barbicane ( 541 votes )

I'm actually pleasantly surprised Van is so high. There's some hope for this world! :p

Westraid

Started this yesterday, only completed the prologue so far but I'm really liking it so far and super excited to find out what happens next.
The artwork is so beautiful, when the mansion appeared I was really amazed.

Starting Impey's route first. I really loved reading From the Earth to the Moon!

Saphirax

Van Helsing's route:

Cold? Distant? Badass? Sign.me.the.fuck.up. As I had hoped, Van turned out to be my favorite character. His route was heartbreaking and full of despair. I can see why some people aren't overly fond of his route - it has the least romance of them all. To me, it was perfect, it fits his character to a T.

The training sessions were hilarious.

And the way Cardia calls him 'sensei'. Given his history, that must've taken him by quite the surprise.

But my favorite was:
A man of his word, huh?

There aren't many endearing moments between Van and Cardia until the end of the game.
I'm glad he didn't pop up when Cardia was about to leave the mansion. That would've been out of character. Instead, he had to track her down and rescue her. I enjoyed their dynamic - one tracking/chasing the other. I don't think I would've liked Cardia constantly running after Van if he was a different type of character. Poor Van had to go through a lot and in the end did not want to get too close to anyone.

Except that he did. He also didn't just simply leave to exact his revenge. He could've left on his own without telling anyone, but he goes back just so he can say goodbye to Cardia. To me, those parts where he couldn't just turn his back on her, were one of the best ones. When he thanked Cardia, when he told her she was precious to him and when he finally told her that he loved her - as much as I wanted them to have a proper kiss CG, those were better.

He tried desperately, time and time again, to push her away. But the more she refused to give up, the more conflicted he was. The moment he told her that he didn't need her, only to tell her how precious she was moments later; and that was all because Cardia refused to give up and told him everything to the point where he couldn't just ignore her.

I usually go for bad endings first so I can finish the routes on a happy note. And man, oh man, his bad end almost destroyed me. He could've died not telling her that he loved her, but he couldn't - he had to tell her. In the end Cardia did manage to save him.

His true ending was really lovely. Not only did he finally admit his feelings, that dance CG was perfection. And that he was still intent on finding a cure for Cardia made me happy.

That and his extra scene CG...that was the best CG of them all.

I expected Van to be all flustered after admitting his feelings and starting a relationship with Cardia. It's the typical trope - the cold, aloof guy is actually flustered and clueless around someone he likes. But, Van is 100% shameless and direct and I love it.
If anyone was to ask me what Van's route was like, I'd have to reply with:

Yeah, so that was a lot of pics and a lot of gushing but I couldn't help myself.

Edit: This would've been far more coherent and better written if I didn't go all
Happy-excited-gif.gif
whenever I thought back to Van's route. So you guys ended up with a load of gibberish :p.

pariah164

Van Helsing route cleared.

How did I feel about this route?

X7v51fn.gif

Why.

Good Ending: I thought Saint-Germain's route hit the drama ceiling. I was wrong.
Van Helsing's route kicked it up to eleven. However, unlike Sainty-G's route... I didn't like it anywhere near as much. It was almost too depressing, and it didn't help that Van Helsing was a massive douchecanoe for 95% of the route. It really was all about him, his past, everything. No difference from the other routes, really, though nothing went back to Cardia. Therefore, no cure, temporary or not, for her poison, and thus this route had no kissing of any kind. My jimmies are very much rustled. ALL OF THEM ARE RUSTLED. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be dramatic, I should be playing this for the story, and I am, but come on! Give me something, you damn game. It was just disappointing. Yes, at the end, they finally fell for one another and danced under the stars but. Grr. I just really didn't like it. I can't bring myself to like it. Also, ALEISTER IS A DOUCHE.

Van Helsing himself was such a jerk. Yes, he had story/spoiler reasons to be, but I didn't see the appeal in him. Until the end of the route, he was just generally unlikable, and I didn't understand why Cardia fell for him. She was acting like a pathetic fangirl of his for most of the route, and lost so many respect points, at least in my eyes. She regained most of them at the end, but again, I had to suffer through the entire story to get back to that point. Ugh. After everything ends, he's much more tolerable, but I almost didn't make it to the end of the route to see that. 5/10. The megane boys have disappointed me in this game.

And now, for screencaps.

This route becomes instantly better if I think of Van as a male tsundere. "I-it's not like I like you or anything! Baka!"

I got flashbacks of a certain Amnesia route with this screencap/dialogue... Not sure why.

Swiggity swooty, he's comin' for that booty.
I'm not sorry.

Now, for your moment of fanservice (slightly censored so I don't get banned, not censored in the game, and Van Extra Scenario spoilers):

Yyyyyep. This almost made up for the entire route. Almost.

Onward, to Lupin's route at last.

Saphirax

Shame you didn't like him. Cardia pretty much acted similarly in Saint-Germain and Van's routes. At least to me. I really did enjoy his dynamic with others and with Cardia. Then again I have a weakness for aloof characters~.

pariah164

Shame you didn't like him. Cardia pretty much acted similarly in Saint-Germain and Van's routes. At least to me. I really did enjoy his dynamic with others and with Cardia. Then again I have a weakness for aloof characters~.
I know she did, and I wanted to like him, I really did. Something just didn't click for me.

gaiages

Banned
This route becomes instantly better if I think of Van as a male tsundere. "I-it's not like I like you or anything! Baka!"

It took me entirely too long to find the Tweet I posted about that very thing (complete with typo). Van Helsing is pretty much the ultimate tsundere. I Tweet way too much lol.

But yeah, wasn't a fan of his route either, but then again, I typically don't like the tsundere trope much in the first place, no matter how justified them being tsundere are. I will disagree about Cardia being too much different, though--when you get down to it, she actually has this somewhat rabid fangirlism for any man's path that she's on, I just think it sticks out more because her feelings aren't quickly reciprocated (
and sometimes outright rejected
).

pariah164

It took me entirely too long to find the Tweet I posted about that very thing (complete with typo). Van Helsing is pretty much the ultimate tsundere. I Tweet way too much lol.

But yeah, wasn't a fan of his route either, but then again, I typically don't like the tsundere trope much in the first place, no matter how justified them being tsundere are. I will disagree about Cardia being too much different, though--when you get down to it, she actually has this somewhat rabid fangirlism for any man's path that she's on, I just think it sticks out more because her feelings aren't quickly reciprocated (
and sometimes outright rejected
).
Heh, I never saw that Tweet. Sorry for semi-stealing it.

And yes, you could say she is a fangirl in every route, but only in Van's does it get annoying. Again, I don't know why that is.

gaiages

Banned
Heh, I never saw that Tweet. Sorry for semi-stealing it.

And yes, you could say she is a fangirl in every route, but only in Van's does it get annoying. Again, I don't know why that is.

lol, oh no, I wasn't bringing it up because I thought you semi-stole it or anything! x3 Just that I thought very much the same as you :D

Kirie

Damnit San causing all the problems :p

Seriously! Still can't get his normal ending ;__;

It's so interesting how low Impey ranks in that Japanese poll in comparison to what I'm seeing on various forums and whatnot over here. It's probably another one of those differences between the eastern and western fanbases (though of course Lupin reigns all for both in popularity :p ) kind of like Kent/Toma discrepancy for Amnesia in that regard I think.
Started this yesterday, only completed the prologue so far but I'm really liking it so far and super excited to find out what happens next.
The artwork is so beautiful, when the mansion appeared I was really amazed.

Starting Impey's route first. I really loved reading From the Earth to the Moon!

That's a great route to start with imo! I hope you enjoy it :D

About Van:

Yeah, I think one of Cardia's things is that she just tries so damn hard to save everyone (especially whatever guy's route she's on..makes sense) and it just seems like she has these "only see you" blinders on for whatever route you're on. For Van in particular it's
mainly the whole chasing after him > rejection > chasing after him > repeat > that threw me for a loop on his route pacing-wise and why I ultimately ranked him last personally, even if I still really like the character. Difference between him and San is that San never rejects her feelings outright like he does, his hand is ultimately forced on the matter because of all the Idea turmoil. You know he's in love with her as early as the second mansion section, so while the drama also hits high a high note in that one, there's a bit more of an emotional payoff I think during it because he reciprocates earlier.

But, while I got a bit annoyed at it in Van's route, I feel that it makes a lot of sense for his character.. would have been really out of character any other way I think. He shows his affection in a much subtle way even while pushing her away (only telling her he's leaving, being the one to always rescue her, that scene when he gets hurt, etc) so I guess it comes down to not only if you like that particular character trope, but a route that is more subtle until the big payoff at the end in that regard I think.

Really looking forward to seeing how they handle his fandisc though though!

Just my opinion anyway!

pariah164

This game need a fandisc. With a Sholmes route.

EDIT: Just now realized one is happening. Hey, Aksys, got a new project for you...

Saphirax

Seriously! Still can't get his normal ending ;__;

It's so interesting how low Impey ranks in that Japanese poll in comparison to what I'm seeing on various forums and whatnot over here. It's probably another one of those differences between the eastern and western fanbases (though of course Lupin reigns all for both in popularity :p ) kind of like Kent/Toma discrepancy for Amnesia in that regard I think.

That's a great route to start with imo! I hope you enjoy it :D

About Van:

Yeah, I think one of Cardia's things is that she just tries so damn hard to save everyone (especially whatever guy's route she's on..makes sense) and it just seems like she has these "only see you" blinders on for whatever route you're on. For Van in particular it's
mainly the whole chasing after him > rejection > chasing after him > repeat > that threw me for a loop on his route pacing-wise and why I ultimately ranked him last personally, even if I still really like the character. Difference between him and San is that San never rejects her feelings outright like he does, his hand is ultimately forced on the matter because of all the Idea turmoil. So while the drama also hits high a high note in that one, there's a bit more of an emotional payoff I think during it because he reciprocates earlier.

But, while I got a bit annoyed at it in Van's route, I feel that it makes a lot of sense for his character.. would have been really out of character any other way I think. He shows his affection in a much subtle way even while pushing her away (only telling her he's leaving, being the one to always rescue her, that scene when he gets hurt, etc) so I guess it comes down to not only if you like that particular character trope, but a route that is more subtle until the big payoff at the end in that regard I think.

Really looking forward to seeing how they handle his fandisc though though!

Just my opinion anyway!

Yeah, that's what I pretty much liked about his route. With routes such as Impey's they pretty much throw it in your face, but with Van it's way more subtle. It's completely different than the others.

Also
Saint-Germain admitting to Cardia that he loved her threw me off. And that's mostly because I thought it happened way too soon.

I didn't mind the whole chasing thing, but that's mostly because
Van is supposed to be the hunter. He's pretty much devoted his life to it. And then you have Cardia just running after him and him half running away because he wants revenge, and half being torn about it because he loves her. I thought it made for a pretty nice 'twist'.

Top Bottom