• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 13| _ E ... _ A N _ ... _ A _ A

Enron

Banned

So, his draft status and thus, his nfl career, are in serious jeopardy now because our retarded coaching staff wouldn't take him out of a blowout meaningless game. Can't say I'm very surprised.

Mark Richt, Mike Bobo, and Todd Grantham are a trio of incompetence. They can't leave Athens fast enough.

OSU @ 7 is fair. I was gonna be pissed if we had stayed behind any 2-loss teams.

Also, how the fuck did we ever lose to you guys? No offense.
Damned if I know. I was there, ugly game all around. Teams were a combined 45/98 passing. Walsh missed a lot of open receivers, and y'all seemed to have a lot of dropped passes on top of that.

Edit: Looking at box score, penalties too.

KingGondo

Banned
Damned if I know. I was there, ugly game all around. Teams were a combined 45/98 passing. Walsh missed a lot of open receivers, and y'all seemed to have a lot of dropped passes on top of that.
Yeah. Kind of a perfect storm. I'd love to have that one over, if only because we'd have already clinched the Big 12 with that win.

Oh well. I'll take 11-1 and a BCS Bowl every single year (assuming we beat OU, and I'm not assuming anything at this point).
Wasn't that walsh's last game?
He played in the game we barely won against KSU at home, then got yanked in the next home game against TCU when he threw a terrible pick in the end zone.

Honestly, Chelf didn't play that well either until the last 2 weeks. Our unconventional OC hire from Shippensburg College is paying off big time now.

Gundy deserves a massive raise assuming we win the Big 12 again. And he'll get it considering his agent Jimmy Sexton will have the USC, Florida, and Texas jobs to leverage.

Any chance Baylor gets and at-large BCS game if they win out?
Hmm... dunno. Just looking at it without rankings, there are 10 BCS teams (just going to put leaders/probable winners).

Conference Champs:
1) SEC: Alabama
2) ACC: FSU
3) B1G: OSU
4) Pac-12: Stanford
5) Big 12: Okie St.
6) AAC: UCF

As of now, Fresno St. is ranked in the top 16 and ahead of UCF, and UCF is below #16, so that gives us...

7) Fresno St.

So 3 spots remaining. If we were to assume that Alabama beats both Auburn and Mizzou, that would probably let Clemson jump up to #4, giving them an automatic invite, so....

8) Clemson

After that, it would just come down to preference. We would have to assume the Sugar would invite a 2nd SEC team no matter what after losing Alabama to the championship game. So for Baylor to get in, they would probably need to for the current leaders/favorites to win their CCGames. A championship game-losing FSU or OSU would almost certainly be invited as an at-large before Baylor.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
AP Poll

Edit: Correction: Louisville is #21, not UL-Lafayette as the original copy/paste from AP's website had.

Code:
1	Alabama (56)	11-0	1,496	1
2	FSU (4)	        11-0	1,444	2
3	Ohio State	11-0	1,375	4
4	Auburn	        10-1	1,294	6
5	Missouri	10-1	1,202	8
6	Clemson	        10-1	1,196	7
7	Oklahoma State	10-1	1,177	11
8	Stanford	9-2	1,002	10
9	Baylor	        9-1	976	3
10	South Carolina	9-2	960	12
11	Michigan State	10-1	929	13
12	Oregon	        9-2	731	5
13	Arizona State	9-2	690	19
14	Wisconsin	9-2	684	16
15	LSU	        8-3	642	18
16	Fresno State	10-0	619	15
17	UCF	        9-1	588	17
18	N Illinois	11-0	470	20
19	Texas A&M	8-3	429	9
20	Oklahoma	9-2	386	22
21	Louisville	8-2	383	21
22	UCLA	        8-3	300	14
23	USC	        9-3	262	23
24	Duke	        9-2	135	25
25	Notre Dame	8-3	68	27
So some AP voters are punishing FSU for the Winston thing? I thought FSU stole some 1st place votes from us last week and I can't think of any other reason why they would have shifted their votes back other than the rape allegation.

desh

The orange bowl will select a Big Ten team if it is eligible. So if WISCY or MSUn stay in the top 14, one of them is going to the orange bowl.

Coaches' Poll

Okie St. 7, Baylor 8. Louisville still inexplicably ahead of UCF. Ducks down 7 spots, Aggie down 11.

Code:
1	Alabama (56)	11-0	1,544	1
2	FSU (6)	        11-0	1,488	2
3	Ohio State	11-0	1,428	3
4	Clemson	        10-1	1,289	6
5	Auburn	        10-1	1,268	7
6	Missouri	10-1	1,243	8
7	Oklahoma State	10-1	1,225	9
8	Baylor	        9-1	1,009	4
9	South Carolina	9-2	1,003	11
10	Stanford	9-2	981	12
11	Michigan State	10-1	962	13
12	Oregon	        9-2	777	5
13	Fresno State	10-0	687	16
14	Wisconsin	9-2	661	17
15	LSU	        8-3	646	19
16	Louisville	10-1	603	15
17	Oklahoma	9-2	581	18
18	Arizona State	9-2	574	22
19	UCF	        9-1	512	20
20	N. Illinois	11-0	459	21
21	Texas A&M	8-3	410	10
22	UCLA	        8-3	257	14
23	USC	        9-3	210	25
24	Duke	        9-2	203	24
25	Cincinnati	9-2	47	NR

So some AP voters are punishing FSU for the Winston thing? I thought FSU stole some 1st place votes from us last week and I can't think of any other reason why they would have shifted their votes back other than the rape allegation.
Looks like Alabama picked up 1 from last week. Neither team played anybody yesterday, so the Winston thing would almost have to be the reason for the switch.

JHall

Ron Zook > Will Muschamp

Jeremy Foley has only had to hire 3 head football coaches during his tenure as AD. Ron Zook, Urbz, and Muschamp. He's a terrible one for three right now.

mre

Ron Zook > Will Muschamp

Jeremy Foley has only had to hire 3 head football coaches during his tenure as AD. Ron Zook, Urbz, and Muschamp. He's a terrible one for three right now.

True, but the one he got right brought 2 MNCs.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, the OSU fans on my Facebook are already bitching about Auburn jumping them in the rankings in a future that doesn't exist yet.

Oozer3993

Man, the OSU fans on my Facebook are already bitching about Auburn jumping them in the rankings in a future that doesn't exist yet.

They don't have any reason to be angry. It's written in the stars that that MNC is just gonna be handed to them. Auburn's gonna knock off Alabama, MSU will choke the Big Ten Championship game to them, then FSU will win out only for Winston to be charged and suspended for the championship game.

I'm kinda over being annoyed at the world-wide SECSECSEC worship for anything other than humor purposes, so what I REALLY want to see now is:

Undefeated FSU (Winston cleared!)
Undefeated OSU
One-loss Auburn

That would be some good-time entertainment, no matter who did or did not jump whom.

JHall

True, but the one he got right brought 2 MNCs.

I think Foley impulse hires and doesn't actually do any research. Urbz was the most sought after coach after the 2004 season he had at Utah. He was the best hire at the time and we got him.

We could have gone after Charlie Strong, which I really wanted. Instead we took an unproven coach in waiting. I say go to the NFL or someone in college that has proven they know how to win. This Nick Saban tree of coaching is about as bad as the Bill Belichick coaching tree in the NFL. For some reason hiring assistants under the best coaches in football doesn't work out very well.

mre

I think Foley impulse hires and doesn't actually do any research. Urbz was the most sought after coach after the 2004 season he had at Utah. He was the best hire at the time and we got him.

We could have gone after Charlie Strong, which I really wanted. Instead we took an unproven coach in waiting. I say go to the NFL or someone in college that has proven they know how to win. This Nick Saban tree of coaching is about as bad as the Bill Belichick coaching tree in the NFL. For some reason hiring assistants under the best coaches in football doesn't work out very well.
I think the problem is looking at someone's coaching lineage and hiring them automatically without doing any real research into the coach. Look at FSU and Jimbo Fisher. I think he's really the only member of Saban's coaching progeny to really embrace Saban's philosophy in recruiting and coaching and is having success. I don't get the feeling from Boom that he is as meticulous in his approach to the job as Saban is.

andycapps

So, his draft status and thus, his nfl career, are in serious jeopardy now because our retarded coaching staff wouldn't take him out of a blowout meaningless game. Can't say I'm very surprised.

Mark Richt, Mike Bobo, and Todd Grantham are a trio of incompetence. They can't leave Athens fast enough.
They tried to take him out. He's a senior in his last home game and he set almost all of the current school records and conference records. So if he wants to stay in for a few more minutes, I don't see why you don't listen to him. It was just a bad accident. The only one I really agree with you on is Grantham. I think his system works great in the NFL where he can work with those guys as much as he wants, but with NCAA restrictions on how much time they get, it's just not enough. I wouldn't be shocked if he got fired or they let him take an NFL coordinator job and if we picked up Muschamp when he gets fired.

As awesome as Murray is, Mason looked really good last night. Great play action fakes and incredible accuracy and timing. Almost David Greene like in that aspect.

So Ohio State is putting up restrictions on one of the best traditions on college. Every Thrsday before the Michigan game student have jumped into Mirror lake in a massive drunk fest.

Ohio state is going to surround the lake with fences and require wristbands in order to jump into certain parts of the "lake" . Mind you the lake is 4ft at its deepest, and its not even a lake, is a pond with a fountain.

Fuck this shit, way to ruin one of the best campus traditions.

Any chance Baylor gets and at-large BCS game if they win out?

Their chances are slim to none. Like 5% tops. Hell, even Texas has a better shot of getting an at-large than Baylor if they win their final two games - although their percentage is like 7% tops. Money and a willing-to-travel fanbase carry more weight than whoever's the best remaining team for at-large bids.

UCF if they continue to win is pretty much a lock for the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team, be it Alabama (if they lose in the Iron Bowl - unlikely), Auburn, or (less likely) Missouri or South Carolina.

Fresno State if they win out is a lock for the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma State, assuming they beat OU in Bedlam. If Fresno loses, then maybe Northern Illinois gets in if they win out.

Orange Bowl is likely Clemson vs. an at-large team, and that team is most likely going to be a Big 10 team - Wisconsin or Michigan State. Wisconsin's fanbase travels very well. Or the 2nd SEC team if Auburn beats Bama in the Iron Bowl. There is very little chance they'll take a 2nd Big 12 team.

Baylor's most likely destination, if they win out, is probably the Alamo Bowl. They may have a mild chance to be selected for the better Cotton Bowl...but it's not exactly a secret that the Cotton Bowl strongly prefers a Texas - Texas A&M matchup.

KingGondo

Banned
Their chances are slim to none. Like 5% tops. Hell, even Texas has a better shot of getting an at-large than Baylor if they win their final two games - although their percentage is like 7% tops. Money and a willing-to-travel fanbase carry more weight than whoever's the best remaining team for at-large bids.

UCF if they continue to win is pretty much a lock for the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team, be it Alabama (if they lose in the Iron Bowl - unlikely), Auburn, or (less likely) Missouri or South Carolina.

Fresno State if they win out is a lock for the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma State, assuming they beat OU in Bedlam. If Fresno loses, then maybe Northern Illinois gets in if they win out.

Orange Bowl is likely Clemson vs. an at-large team, and that team is most likely going to be a Big 10 team - Wisconsin or Michigan State. Wisconsin's fanbase travels very well. Or the 2nd SEC team if Auburn beats Bama in the Iron Bowl. There is very little chance they'll take a 2nd Big 12 team.

Baylor's most likely destination, if they win out, is probably the Alamo Bowl. They may have a mild chance to be selected for the better Cotton Bowl...but it's not exactly a secret that the Cotton Bowl strongly prefers a Texas - Texas A&M matchup.
Good summary.

Btw, there's a small (but plausible) chance of a 4-way tie in the Big 12.

Baylor beats TCU and loses to Texas
Texas loses to Tech and beats Baylor
OU beats OSU

Baylor, OSU, OU and Texas would all finish with 7-2 conference records.

cashman

Banned

There's pretty much no way Texas will be ranked high enough to make a BCS bowl this year, and there's no way Texas makes the cotton bowl as a likely 4+ loss team over Baylor.

Yeah, Meyer was an easy pick. To be fair, Muschamp seemed like a solid choice and a great get. But the recruiting has whiffed too much. And Weis was Weis. Everyone knew Zook was shit though.

Strong might not be the answer either. I don't know who we would hire. NFL coaches hate recruiting. Texas and USC are coming open and those are more desirable jobs because recruiting is "easier" and bigger money.

I think the problem is looking at someone's coaching lineage and hiring them automatically without doing any real research into the coach. Look at FSU and Jimbo Fisher. I think he's really the only member of Saban's coaching progeny to really embrace Saban's philosophy in recruiting and coaching and is having success. I don't get the feeling from Boom that he is as meticulous in his approach to the job as Saban is.

Jimbo took seven years to right the ship including his time in waiting. But I agree partly. Not the lack of attention to detail, but swinging for the fences and not having a backup plan. I mean, we've signed six OLine in the past three years. Bama signed six this year. We've gone after big names and missed out, but had no backup plan.

So Ohio State is putting up restrictions on one of the best traditions on college. Every Thrsday before the Michigan game student have jumped into Mirror lake in a massive drunk fest.

Ohio state is going to surround the lake with fences and require wristbands in order to jump into certain parts of the "lake" . Mind you the lake is 4ft at its deepest, and its not even a lake, is a pond with a fountain.

Fuck this shit, way to ruin one of the best campus traditions.

Too many poop coolers in the fountain. It's why y'all can't have nice things.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hell, Jimbo might be getting favorable conditions in state, because of a fellow Saban disciple.

That, and attempt to make Alabama Jr, with Sunseri and Pruitt (who can go DIAF) coaching hires

There's pretty much no way Texas will be ranked high enough to make a BCS bowl this year, and there's no way Texas makes the cotton bowl as a likely 4+ loss team over Baylor.

It's not the second place Big 12 team, but the second choice of Big 12 eligible teams. They typically pick the second place Big 12 team, but they don't have to. It's usually done when that team has played in that bowl previously. You saw it happen when we played in the Holiday and Cotton Bowl a lot before 2005.

mre

Okay, I've crunched the numbers for the Iron Bowl by looking at both Alabama and Auburn's performance against conference and "quality" out-of-conference opponents (VA Tech for Bama, and WSU for Auburn). The main goal of my analysis was to see how both teams performed, both offensively and defensively, against their opponents' averages. I can post the spreadsheet later if someone wants it, but here's what the numbers suggest that we can expect to see in the Iron Bowl:

Code:
AU Rushing	150-180 yds
AU Rushing	1-2 TD
AU Passing	120-140 yds
AU Passing	0-1 TD
Total:	270-320 yds
	1-3 TD

UA Rushing	200-250 yds
UA Rushing	2-3 TD
UA Passing	225-300 yds
UA Passing	1-2 TD
Total:	425-550 yds
	3-5 TD

For comparison's sake, here are their straight averages in these games:

Code:
AU Rushing	286.13 yds
AU Rushing	3.13 TD
AU Passing	175.25 yds
AU Passing	0.88 TD
Total:	461.38 yds
	4.01 TD

UA Rushing	228.5 yds
UA Rushing	2.38 TD
UA Passing	226.25 yds
UA Passing	2 TD
Total:	454.75 yds
	4.38 TD

Personally, I think the statistics are on the low side for Auburn, and I would be shocked if they didn't go over 200 yards, unless they get behind early and have to attempt to pass it more than they prefer to.

Balphon

I think you may be overestimating the strength of Texas's drawing power (though not by much).

Still, Oregon vs. Baylor in the Alamo Bowl could be secretly amazing.

Though I'm not quite sure how the Pac-12's contract with the Alamo Bowl works. I don't think they're obligated to take the CCG loser, but I could be wrong? Either way, I'm counting my chickens.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke won. Barely.

Oh I know that. My dad pulled up the scores and when it was 14-0, I was

tumblr_lrfumfNvnN1qlf513.gif

then at half time of Bama/Chatt he pulled up the score and let me see it

d91.gif

Wake/Duke is always tough so I wasn't surprised. The 06 Wake team that upset FSU and won the ACC championship beat Duke on a shanked field goal.

Florida fans have been putting on a subdued melt. I think they're in the acceptance stage of dealing with their grief.

I heard a few people talking about that, laughing a UF more or less.

I think you may be overestimating the strength of Texas's drawing power (though not by much).

Still, Oregon vs. Baylor in the Alamo Bowl could be secretly amazing.

Though I'm not quite sure how the Pac-12's contract with the Alamo Bowl works. I don't think they're obligated to take the CCG loser, but I could be wrong? Either way, I'm counting my chickens.

I'm pretty sure the Alamo has 2nd choice but doesn't have to take the CCG runner up. They would totally take Oregon or Stanford over ASU.

Enfinit

Some interesting new stuff about Jameis' case... The accuser's name was leaked, what sorority she's in, and her using the hashtag "#FSUcleatchasers" on her Twitter and Instagram account, which is apparently what her and her clique called themselves (since deleted). There's some interesting rumors about what actually happened that night, but I feel kinda dirty spreading it around if it isn't true.

Certainly entertainingly interesting if all of the rumors are true. I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

Balphon

Some interesting new stuff about Jameis' case... The accuser's name was leaked, what sorority she's in, and her using the hashtag "#FSUcleatchasers" on her Twitter and Instagram account, which is apparently what her and her clique called themselves (since deleted). There's some interesting rumors about what actually happened that night, but I feel kinda dirty spreading it around if it isn't true.

Certainly entertainingly interesting if all of the rumors are true. I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, the public shaming of a potential rape victim sure sounds entertaining.

Balphon

I said if the rumors are true it'll be entertaining. I did not say I believed they were true. Please don't be ignorant.

I'm not commenting on what you believe. I just fail to see how the circumstances of that case could possibly be "entertaining," regardless of how they may be resolved. To say so is crass at best.

Top Bottom