• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 14| It's Rivalry Week! (fucla!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesways

Im making the trip out, actually got really good seats for face value. Probably leave cbus around 8 am get into Indy by 11.

Hope you have a great time! Do take some pics and give a report after of the crowd/environment.

It's going to be an interesting game, that's for sure. High powered offense vs great defense.

scurker

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's that kind of package. I think you can get an SEC channel kinda thing on your roku or whatever, but actual games would be demand or payperview.

There's not. However the SEC network launches next fall, so there's no telling what it's going to be on yet. It's essentially backed by ESPN, so I imagine it'll have similar offerings to whatever the Longhorn network is on.

So far, Charter hasn't committed to carrying the SEC network but I have a hard time believing they'll be able to keep that stance.

ag-my001

There's not. However the SEC network launches next fall, so there's no telling what it's going to be on yet. It's essentially backed by ESPN, so I imagine it'll have similar offerings to whatever the Longhorn network is on.

So far, Charter hasn't committed to carrying the SEC network but I have a hard time believing they'll be able to keep that stance.
Well, Missouri's next two games are going to be nationally televised, so he's good for the rest of this year at least.

Speaking of LHN and the sec network, I noticed last night I suddenly got all the PAC-12 networks. And they gave me cbs sports network even though it wasn't in my package before. I don't know if they are giving us a free trial or not, but I have the 350 channel pack on Uverse

To be fair, Auburn started the season with a new coaching staff and a quarterback who had about a month of practice.

They had a ton of close games and a lot of luck, but they've done what good teams should do - steadily improve from week to week. Hopefully that improvement will continue into the SEC championship game.

That shouldn't overcome an undefeated team, but it's something to take into consideration.

AntoneM

FSU just needs to win and they're in. Doesn't matter who has better wins. FSU has proven they belong in the title game, there's no doubt about that. Sure, the ACC isn't the most competitive conference, but FSU has proven every game (even the BC game) that they belong there.

And I can't believe I'm about to say this but...

As of right now, Ohio State belongs there too. Unless they lose next week (which is a very real possibility), Ohio State has beaten every team that's put in front of them. Sure, they haven't necessarily been "convincing" victories, and the B1G is nearly just as competitive as the ACC, but what more can you ask of a team than to beat every opponent you put in front of them? For the most part, teams can't control who they play. Ohio State has gone out there and found a way (however lucky or shitty) to win every game for two seasons.

But fuck Urban Meyer. An FSU/OSU national championship would be a tad boring, and I'm pretty sure FSU would pull a huge win. It'd be a repeat of Bama/ND all over again.

And fuck Auburn too. While I love the fact that they upset Bama (which made for some wonderfully entertaining and memorable television), they've won the last two games on pure fucking luck. Georgia had 'em beat, and I have a tendency to think Bama would've gone over Auburn if it went to OT.

FSU vs. Ohio State = meh.
FSU vs. Auburn = pretty cool, but still some degree of meh.
FSU vs. Mizzou = could be pretty interesting, maybe better than Auburn?
FSU vs. Bama = still the matchup people want to see, I suppose.
FSU vs. Oklahoma State = probably not going to happen, but it'd be interesting.

From an entertainment standpoint, FSU/Bama is still the best matchup. But my guess is it'll end up being Auburn vs. FSU.

Duke's better than people think! I mean, they're not elite, but props to them for going 10-2. They're a lot of fun to watch and root for. They just seem like a bunch of guys that's like "Hey, we won!!! Let's win again!! Man, we're ranked!! Holy shit, the ACCCG?!"

It's like the Georgia Southern story. To me, they just seem like a team that's having fun and embracing the moment. Definitely fun to watch.

Lol.

University of Missouri, Saint Louis, Charter.

He should be able to get most games on either national TV (CBS, ESPN family) or whatever the local network might be showing (SEC Network or sometimes a loal Fox Sports). Plus, there will be an actual SEC Network that Charter should carry.

In addition, make sure he downloads the Watch ESPN app (or goes to ESPN.com) to watch any games that aren't on regular TV. That should cover 10-11 of the games with 1-2 that might be on PPV.

Long story short, keep Charter (maybe expand the sports package is necessary), get Watch ESPN, and he's already covered. And get him something else for Christmas :)

Reality check -

Auburn was up huge against ugga before they blew it (with an assist from the lack of a reverse camera angle). The last play was lucky. The outcome was not based on the whole 60 minutes.

The Alabama victory has little to do with luck. The teams were very evenly matched but Auburn played better special teams. The last play was a calculated decision by both coaches and without that play, we still go into overtime where it was still probably a 50/50 game. I'm not sure why the word "luck" is being thrown around.

Meier

FSU just needs to win and they're in. Doesn't matter who has better wins. FSU has proven they belong in the title game, there's no doubt about that. Sure, the ACC isn't the most competitive conference, but FSU has proven every game (even the BC game) that they belong there.

It's a shame that Andre Williams got hurt early yesterday. BC would have finished 8-4 and probably been ranked or close to it. They're a pretty decent team and he is an absolute beast.

Reality check -

Auburn was up huge against ugga before they blew it (with an assist from the lack of a reverse camera angle). The last play was lucky. The outcome was not based on the whole 60 minutes.

The Alabama victory has little to do with luck. The teams were very evenly matched but Auburn played better special teams. The last play was a calculated decision by both coaches and without that play, we still go into overtime where it was still probably a 50/50 game. I'm not sure why the word "luck" is being thrown around.

Because AU success is hard for some to handle?

Karakand

The top 4 of the Big 12 is better than the top 4 of the B1G and ACC.

That's right, I'm lobbying for our rightful MNCG berth!

Iowa State would win the ACC
Coastal
DVpDJRK.gif

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where the rankings are made up and the SEC losses don't matter

#damnitstrue

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MSU moving up to #9 will help tOSU too. I can't see the majority of voters putting Auburn above tOSU with them staying undefeated and beating the #9 team, unless Auburn wallops Mizzou by like 50 points.

Helps us TREMENDOUSLY. Beating a top 10 team will keep us ahead of Auburn no matter what they do

I keep seeing people say this while completely ignoring the fact that Auburn, with a win, will have beaten the #5 ranked team in the country. Computers love that stuff and with such a small spread in the coaches poll, it's clear that there are no guarantees here.

I have no dog in this fight, but I can easily see a scenario where, if Auburn blows out Missouri and OSU struggles against MSU, Auburn jumps them.

(I still think OSU blows out State and Auburn loses, by the way)

andycapps

Hi all, I know very little about football, but my father is a big fan of college football and I'd like to get him a package similar to MLB.tv for college football if such a thing exists. His favorite team is a member of the SEC. Is there a way to get the year's games on his roku box / tv?
If WatchESPN has an app for Rolu, that's probably your best bet. ESPN used to have a TV package that was essentially the same thing but I don't know if it's necessary now that they have WatchESPN.

Congrats to the Gata fans for Pease and offensive line coach getting the boot. Maybe some improvement next year depending on who they get. They need to get someone that's a proven recruiter in FL, for sure.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'll pull for OSUn in the NC game.

Auburn didn't win on luck, but won with a lot of help from Saban. Miserably stupid idea going for that kick, with a kicker appearing for the 1st time in the game (and barely used in the year). Nevermind not kicking a chip shot FG with 5 minutes left. Though, Griffith struck the ball well, and maybe if they were 5 yards closer. But Saban stuck all year with the guy who lost the 9-6 game. Live by that sword, died by it.

MIMIC

Banned
I keep seeing people say this while completely ignoring the fact that Auburn, with a win, will have beaten the #5 ranked team in the country. Computers love that stuff and with such a small spread in the coaches poll, it's clear that there are no guarantees here.

Auburn already beat the No. 1 team in the country (vs. Ohio State's "struggle" against an unranked opponent). If that wasn't enough to move Auburn ahead of Ohio State, why would a win vs. No. 5 (vs. Ohio State's win vs. No. 9) be more impressive? A win against No. 5 really isn't that much different than a win against No. 9....and that negligible difference certainly won't overcome Ohio State's undefeated factor.

I have no dog in this fight, but I can easily see a scenario where, if Auburn blows out Missouri and OSU struggles against MSU, Auburn jumps them.

IMO, I don't think the margin of victory either way is going to matter. Ohio State won by 1 point against an unranked opponent and still maintained its lead. A win against a top 10 opponent is only going to help distance Ohio State from the rest because it'll help answer any questions about it being untested.

Meier

Probably has something to do with Auburn winning two in a row on extremely low-percentage plays. The FG return even moreso than the hail mary.

Sure, they might've beat Bama in OT anyway. But they didn't. They won on one of the least likely scores ever.

Not to mention the Tide having a 28-yarder negated due to penalty then missing the 33 (a gimme). Auburn got exceptionally lucky in this game but sometimes that's what decides a game.

I don't see how that's stupid. A FG of that distance is low-percentage, but a FG returned for a TD is infinitesimal percentage.

Kicking the FG would generally be the correct decision, it just happened that everything came up Milhouse.

I see what you're saying, but a Hail Mary probably would have been a better move than a 57 yarder, though. Making them from 60 in practice is far less complicated than hitting a 57yarder at the end of the Iron Bowl.

(I still think OSU blows out State and Auburn loses, by the way)

There's no guarantees, sure. Except for the fact of that 1 in the loss column of the Tigers. That won't go away. Yes, I understand they'll have beaten #1 and #5, doesn't change the fact they lost earlier, and the Buckeyes have no losses.

Staying undefeated with a quality win over a #9 team will be too much for the Tigers, I honestly feel.

Karakand

Auburn didn't win on luck, but won with a lot of help from Saban. Miserably stupid idea going for that kick, with a kicker appearing for the 1st time in the game (and barely used in the year).

Big Game Lane Kiffin once went for a kick like that while coaching the Raiders.

He had one of the best kickers in the game, and it was still obvious he was just doing it to get fired.

MIMIC

Banned
There's no guarantees, sure. Except for the fact of that 1 in the loss column of the Tigers. That won't go away. Yes, I understand they'll have beaten #1 and #5, doesn't change the fact they lost earlier, and the Buckeyes have no losses.

Staying undefeated with a quality win over a #9 team will be too much for the Tigers, I honestly feel.

I agree. I wasn't too sure about this a few weeks ago, but being undefeated carries significant weight...more weight than I originally thought. It was enough to keep Ohio State ahead of Stanford, ahead of Baylor, and now, ahead of Auburn. And a win against a top 10 opponent will add to that weight.

Balphon

I agree. I wasn't too sure about this a few weeks ago, but being undefeated carries significant weight...more weight than I originally thought. It was enough to keep Ohio State ahead of Stanford, ahead of Baylor, and now, ahead of Auburn. And a win against a top 10 opponent will add to that weight.

Not when you're competing against an Auburn team that's going to play a higher ranked team than you are.

Cal backup quarterback Zach Kline confirmed that he's transferring out. It's too bad he didn't get a shot this season. Goff did pretty well all things considered, but if you're going to lose all of your games, might as well see what the other guy is capable of. There are rumors floating around that some other guys are looking into transferring, as well, including offense lineman Freddie Tagaloa. :/

Probably has something to do with Auburn winning two in a row on extremely low-percentage plays. The FG return even moreso than the hail mary.

Sure, they might've beat Bama in OT anyway. But they didn't. They won on one of the least likely scores ever.

They were lucky plays, but the win itself wasn't luck. That's the distinction. You can't luck into a 3-score lead over UGA or luck into a tie game with Bama.

They were lucky plays, but the win itself wasn't luck. That's the distinction. You can't luck into a 3-score lead over UGA or luck into a tie game with Bama.

Is your argument that Auburn blew a three-score lead, therefore they are really good? Because that's what it sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom