• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 14| It's Rivalry Week! (fucla!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can we conclude that the ACC is every bit as bad (arguably worse, IMHO) than the B1G this year?

Credit to FSU for blowing everyone out (save for BC) while we struggled almost every step of the way, but their schedule is every bit as garbage as ours.

I honestly don't know. Football is nuts this year. Look at the SEC East standings. What in the fudge is going on in the Pac 12? Duke? FSU could be great or terrible. OSU might actually be really good.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
If Auburn blows out Mizzou (2 TDs+), Auburn will leapfrog OSU.

Mark my words.

Nope. Won't ever happen unless tOSU loses against MSU. SEC fans can scream and cry all they want but it just isn't going to happen. A undefeated major program in a big conference just trumps everything else even if that conference isn't that strong. tOSU was the least of the unbeatens with their resume but now their fate is in their own hands.

And once again this country will be deprived of its true national champion for the 2nd straight year!

Nice one. OSU would have more respect if (1) they had a tougher non-conference schedule and (2) they didn't struggle that much against scrubby division rivals (Northwestern / Michigan).

Opiate

Hi all, I know very little about football, but my father is a big fan of college football and I'd like to get him a package similar to MLB.tv for college football if such a thing exists. His favorite team is a member of the SEC. Is there a way to get the year's games on his roku box / tv?

Nice one. OSU would have more respect if (1) they had a tougher non-conference schedule and (2) they didn't struggle that much against scrubby division rivals (Northwestern / Michigan).

Not our fault teams we scheduled 10 years ago turned to shit (cal) and others backed out (vandy)

offtopic

Hell, last year anyone with half a brain cell knew that Notre Dame was not one of the top two best teams in the country. But, they were undefeated so the system had to put them in. I'm not sure why we should change the "rules" now just because it is the SEC that is the one on the outside looking in (if FSU and tOSU win next week).

Not our fault teams we scheduled 10 years ago turned to shit (cal) and others backed out (vandy)

You forgot about Number 2, though. Giving up 600+ yards and 40+ points to Michigan stinks.

And having your marquee win lose against a shit PSU team.

SOS argument just doesn't look good at all for OSU.

And Auburn has another favorable matchup next week - we will see the BCS standings later, but it wouldn't surprise me if, after a convincing display by Auburn, they would get the sentimental vote to play FSU in January. OSU just looks like last year's Notre Dame team - undefeated record hyped to no end but very little substance.

You forgot about Number 2, though. Giving up 600+ yards and 40+ points to Michigan stinks.

And Auburn has another favorable matchup next week - we will see the BCS standings later, but it wouldn't surprise me if, after a convincing display by Auburn, if they would get the sentimental vote to play FSU in January. OSU just looks like last year's Notre Dame team - undefeated record hyped to no end but very little substance.

You're forgetting tOSU plays MSU which is a Top 10 team. A win over them, combined with staying defeated, it won't matter how much Auburn beats Mizzou by. If they even beat them. Simple as that.

Also, FSU's OOC was much worse than tOSU's, and don't forget who they're playing this week.

offtopic

OSU just looks like last year's Notre Dame team - undefeated record hyped to no end but very little substance.

Yup...but the thing is you still have to put them in. Making an exception because it is the SEC that is being left out would be bullshit and outright media bias. At least this is the last year of this shit system (we get a slightly less shitty system next year yay).

pxleyes

Banned
Less injuries. New OC.
Injuries is obvious, but I'm more pleased about Davis being let go. You can't run ANY offense without some blocking up front. When GaSo D linemen are blowing your O linemen off the block, you have to point to that as the source. Maybe Pease was the problem too, but hard to ruin an offense with that line.

Unlike Auburn which struggled against Miss St, Ole Miss, and Jawjaw?

Wins against A&M, Alabama and Georgia (better teams than any B1G not MSU/OSU) more than offset these shortcomings. OSU had a cakewalk schedule and should have stomped over every team FSU-style. They have not. Voters noticed - this is why Auburn got 2 1st place vote and OSU none.

And Auburn has another favorable matchup next week - we will see the BCS standings later, but it wouldn't surprise me if, after a convincing display by Auburn, they would get the sentimental vote to play FSU in January. OSU just looks like last year's Notre Dame team - undefeated record hyped to no end but very little substance.

I would like to see this. All i see every week on the mothership is how were trash and a 7 loss gata squad should jump us

offtopic

Wins against A&M, Alabama and Georgia (better teams than any B1G not MSU/OSU) more than offset these blimps. OSU had a cakewalk schedule and should have stomped over every team FSU-style. They have not. Voters noticed - this is why Auburn got 2 1st place vote and OSU none.

A couple of SEC homers doesn't count as "voters noticed".

So if we end up in the Fiesta Bowl, I'll try to make the most of it. Probably fly into Vegas on NYD and drive down to Glendale for the game.... or just fly directly to Glendale from Orlando.

Then spend the day for the game and partying after, and leave the next day for Vegas then stay in Vegas through Sunday and fly out from there to Orlando.

You're forgetting tOSU plays MSU which is a Top 10 team. A win over them, combined with staying defeated, it won't matter how much Auburn beats Mizzou by. If they even beat them. Simple as that.

Also, FSU's OOC was much worse than tOSU's, and don't forget who they're playing this week.

Based on current form, it wouldn't surprise me to see a very tight game that could go either way. MSU is flying under the radar and has a very strong defense. I definitely smell the upset here.

I did not forget MSU; Auburn still has the best matchup, and if they blow out Mizzou, they definitely have a good shot at the NC (unless OSU stomps all over MSU, which I don't expect). Michigan has laid the blueprints on how to beat/challenge OSU.

MIMIC

Banned
Coaches' Poll:

1. Florida State 12-0 (58)
2. Ohio State 12-0 (4)
3. Auburn 11-1
4. Alabama 11-1
5. Missouri 11-1
6. Oklahoma State 10-1
7. Baylor 10-1
8. South Carolina 10-2
9. Michigan State 11-1
10. Stanford 10-2

yay ^_^

Based on current form, it wouldn't surprise me to see a very tight game that could go either way. MSU is flying under the radar and has a very strong defense. I definitely smell the upset here.

I did not forget MSU; Auburn still has the best matchup, and if they blow out Mizzou, they definitely have a good shot at the NC (unless OSU stomps all over MSU, which I don't expect). Michigan has laid the blueprints on how to beat/challenge OSU.

Michigans mobile QB did us in. Spartys offense plays into our one defensive strength. this is why I would much rather play bama than FSU in a title game.

And Auburn's loss to LSU is a better loss than OSU's loss to some nobody team.

Go back 1 year. Alabama, a 1-loss team as you put it, destroyed an undefeated team (ND).

I don't particularly like the SEC, but a 1-loss SEC team is still a pretty darn good team. OSU should be penalized for struggling against shitty opponents as much as Auburn should be for its loss against a then-well ranked LSU team.

MIMIC

Banned
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's that kind of package. I think you can get an SEC channel kinda thing on your roku or whatever, but actual games would be demand or payperview.

ESPN is launching an SEC Network next year, IIRC

Go back 1 year. Alabama, a 1-loss team as you put it, destroyed an undefeated team (ND).

I don't particularly like the SEC, but a 1-loss SEC team is still a pretty darn good team. OSU should be penalized for struggling against shitty opponents as much as Auburn should be for its loss against a then-well ranked LSU team.

Palmerisms 101 right here.

Remember guys, Stanford, still undefeated when playing Furd football.

Since TheBatman requested a photo from yesterday, here was the view from my seat. (Pre-game, obviously. I'm too distracted during games to pull out my phone to take photos.)

B9k59Fj.jpg

$150 a seat, which as I stated earlier, was about $50 less than the C-Deck seat I had for the Wisconsin game at The Shoe this year.

My thanks to the nameless Michigan Man™ who decided to sell these awesome seats on StubHub.

bachikarn

Both Pease and Davis out. Something had to be done, but I'm not sure what the answer to our woes is.

Rumors are that we are bringing back the spread. A power O can obviously work, but I don't think it was a good fit for our players and our fans. We got to use all that Florida speed.

Hi all, I know very little about football, but my father is a big fan of college football and I'd like to get him a package similar to MLB.tv for college football if such a thing exists. His favorite team is a member of the SEC. Is there a way to get the year's games on his roku box / tv?

Who is his favorite team, where does he live, and what cable provider (if any) does he currently have?

Since TheBatman requested a photo from yesterday, here was the view from my seat. (Pre-game, obviously. I'm too distracted during games to pull out my phone to take photos.)

$150 a seat, which as I stated earlier, was about $50 less than the C-Deck seat I had for the Wisconsin game at The Shoe this year.

My thanks to the nameless Michigan Man™ who decided to sell these awesome seats on StubHub.

Holy crap, great seats! :jnc Michigan Man.

Coaches' Poll:

1. Florida State 12-0 (58)
2. Ohio State 12-0 (4)
3. Auburn 11-1
4. Alabama 11-1
5. Missouri 11-1
6. Oklahoma State 10-1
7. Baylor 10-1
8. South Carolina 10-2
9. Michigan State 11-1
10. Stanford 10-2

yay ^_^

Failed to mention that Auburn is only 25 points behind OSU, despite OSU having 4 1st place votes.

This is very, very close.

Karl2177

Why does the conference matter in their 1 loss? If you look at the one loss teams headed to bowls last year they were Bama, Florida, Oregon, and Kansas State. Of those teams, I'd be willing to bet that all could easily hand it to ND, but you only can play one of them. The best out of that bunch is Bama.

Go back 2 years and it's a completely different story. Bama, Stanford, and Okie State are your one loss teams to compete against undefeated LSU. Bama already lost to LSU in the season, and I'd argue that Okie State was better than Bama. So why Bama went to the championship game is beyond me. With Bama going to the game, it threw out any shred of legitimacy the BCS had, and Bama winning it killed it even more.

Auburn also struggled against shitty opponents, which was my point. Basically what you're really suggesting is that beating Alabama and... well, that beating Alabama should get you into the title game regardless of the rest of the season. (And as far as OOC scrubs: a D2, a Sun Belt, and a C-USA ain't exactly setting the world on fire. I'll give them some credit for scheduling Wazzu at least)

OSU's only good win came against a team which just got upset by a terrible team.

Auburn won against the 2x defending champion and unanimous #1 team entering last week. Also marquee wins against A&M and Georgia, both ranked teams.

Why does the conference matter in their 1 loss? If you look at the one loss teams headed to bowls last year they were Bama, Florida, Oregon, and Kansas State. Of those teams, I'd be willing to bet that all could easily hand it to ND, but you only can play one of them. The best out of that bunch is Bama.

Go back 2 years and it's a completely different story. Bama, Stanford, and Okie State are your one loss teams to compete against undefeated LSU. Bama already lost to LSU in the season, and I'd argue that Okie State was better than Bama. So why Bama went to the championship game is beyond me. With Bama going to the game, it threw out any shred of legitimacy the BCS had, and Bama winning it killed it even more.

I didn't single out the SEC because of SECSECSEC, but rather because the discussion involves an SEC team here. Had it been Oregon, Stanford or Baylor, I would have said the same.

Also, where is NIU?

MSU moving up to #9 will help tOSU too. I can't see the majority of voters putting Auburn above tOSU with them staying undefeated and beating the #9 team, unless Auburn wallops Mizzou by like 50 points.

Enfinit

FSU just needs to win and they're in. Doesn't matter who has better wins. FSU has proven they belong in the title game, there's no doubt about that. Sure, the ACC isn't the most competitive conference, but FSU has proven every game (even the BC game) that they belong there.

And I can't believe I'm about to say this but...

As of right now, Ohio State belongs there too. Unless they lose next week (which is a very real possibility), Ohio State has beaten every team that's put in front of them. Sure, they haven't necessarily been "convincing" victories, and the B1G is nearly just as competitive as the ACC, but what more can you ask of a team than to beat every opponent you put in front of them? For the most part, teams can't control who they play. Ohio State has gone out there and found a way (however lucky or shitty) to win every game for two seasons.

But fuck Urban Meyer. An FSU/OSU national championship would be a tad boring, and I'm pretty sure FSU would pull a huge win. It'd be a repeat of Bama/ND all over again.

And fuck Auburn too. While I love the fact that they upset Bama (which made for some wonderfully entertaining and memorable television), they've won the last two games on pure fucking luck. Georgia had 'em beat, and I have a tendency to think Bama would've gone over Auburn if it went to OT.

FSU vs. Ohio State = meh.
FSU vs. Auburn = pretty cool, but still some degree of meh.
FSU vs. Mizzou = could be pretty interesting, maybe better than Auburn?
FSU vs. Bama = still the matchup people want to see, I suppose.
FSU vs. Oklahoma State = probably not going to happen, but it'd be interesting.

From an entertainment standpoint, FSU/Bama is still the best matchup. But my guess is it'll end up being Auburn vs. FSU.

Good.

Because Jesus Christ, Duke is in the ACC title game.

DUKE.
Duke's better than people think! I mean, they're not elite, but props to them for going 10-2. They're a lot of fun to watch and root for. They just seem like a bunch of guys that's like "Hey, we won!!! Let's win again!! Man, we're ranked!! Holy shit, the ACCCG?!"

It's like the Georgia Southern story. To me, they just seem like a team that's having fun and embracing the moment. Definitely fun to watch.

KingGondo

Banned
So can we conclude that the ACC is every bit as bad (arguably worse, IMHO) than the B1G this year?

Credit to FSU for blowing everyone out (save for BC) while we struggled almost every step of the way, but their schedule is every bit as garbage as ours.
The top 4 of the Big 12 is better than the top 4 of the B1G and ACC.

That's right, I'm lobbying for our rightful MNCG berth!

MIMIC

Banned
MSU moving up to #9 will help tOSU too. I can't see the majority of voters putting Auburn above tOSU with them staying undefeated and beating the #9 team, unless Auburn wallops Mizzou by like 50 points.

Helps us TREMENDOUSLY. Beating a top 10 team will keep us ahead of Auburn no matter what they do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom