• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Five: We got to see them BOTH lose!

This weeks game poster

201604-game-poster.jpg.pagespeed.ce.2LP4jZxVqZ.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Duke basketball fans know that feel. Hell, our last transfer played a ton, but he wasn't going to be guy that took all the shots (because his offense needed work) so his dad made him transfer.
Sometimes its seems like there is more riding on the player's expected success than what is directly best for the player.
We all expected him to transfer when he lost his job, but not in the middle of the year.

bpfd

I understand that you hate all things Michigan but if you are saying "but their AD said so", well Michigan's AD also said he was never offered.

Yeah Brandon was shit. His refusal to offer Harbaugh or Miles in 2011 because of pettiness was terrible.

That's why firing him and removing "Lloyd's boys" from the hiring processes was the single best thing the school did.

I thought is was common knowledge that Les was blackballed from ever coaching at Michigan due to a certain incident that occurred while he was an assistant under Moeller.

HeySeuss

Hope the rain holds off this week. This was not all too fun 2 weeks ago

qSUl7OY.jpg

It looks like the hour by hour says at noon and at 4 but they will be quick showers. But I won't lie and say I'm not concerned that it'll get worse. After all meteorologists don't have the best track record.

Here's the pick 'em for this week. Assuming my internet doesn't cut out, I'll try to have the results from the previous week up sometime in the next hour.

https://goo.gl/forms/1qkSpZVbxP90BEf02
Deadline for this one is Friday night.

Stan@Wash
Tex@OklaSt
NW@Iowa
Miami@GT
Tenn@UGA
UNC@FSU
Wisc@Mich
OU@TCU
Utah@Cal
USF@Cin
L'ville@Clem
ASU@USC

I got this:

CFBGAF-Week5
The form CFBGAF-Week5 is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

Karl2177

Week 4 results.

Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xgHum-Fr-6TGnLXzTrEgrDDqj_1ZbU0hOXx9mv8-dWU/edit?usp=sharing

Alphabetical
Code:
Week 4	Total	Username
10	29	Affeinvasion
7	32	ag
4	23	AlteredBeast
6	31	andycapps
5	22	Battlezone
8	30	BertramCooper
5	27	bpfd
8	31	BTM
5	21	Bucknuticus
6	24	cashman
11	33	Chicko1983
0	6	Chris R
5	26	Deacon
6	28	Dsyndrome
8	30	ErnieMcCracken
6	31	felixorion
0	7	fgfdgdfg
6	31	FloydtheFathead
0	8	Frank Beamer
7	23	Frustrated_Grunt
7	25	Ganhyun
0	10	Garryk
6	30	GoldenEye 007
0	23	Googly Eyes Dog
0	14	GreenyMac
0	9	HeySeuss
0	16	Jerm411
9	32	jfkgoblue
0	8	Jhriad
9	33	jstevenson
11	30	Karl2177
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
7	24	KingBrave1
4	4	LionPride
7	26	Lizardking
6	30	Lonestar
7	32	Mac the KNife
4	17	Monroeski
0	8	mre
8	33	MrJames
6	12	nobuyuki
9	27	OceanicAir
7	26	perfectchaos007
7	18	Quake1028
5	28	ryseing
6	32	sf2fanatic
0	13	Stooge
6	26	Subitai
0	23	Surge
8	29	Tebunker
0	5	tetromibi
6	27	TheLetdown
7	31	timetokill
0	4	Titanoboa
6	24	truly101
0	8	whytemyke
5	25	xeris
7	32	Yaboosh
10	32	zyxwvu4321

By total score
Code:
Week 4	Total	Username
11	33	Chicko1983
9	33	jstevenson
8	33	MrJames
7	32	ag
9	32	jfkgoblue
7	32	Mac the KNife
6	32	sf2fanatic
7	32	Yaboosh
10	32	zyxwvu4321
6	31	andycapps
8	31	BTM
6	31	felixorion
6	31	FloydtheFathead
7	31	timetokill
8	30	BertramCooper
8	30	ErnieMcCracken
6	30	GoldenEye 007
11	30	Karl2177
6	30	Lonestar
10	29	Affeinvasion
8	29	Tebunker
6	28	Dsyndrome
5	28	ryseing
5	27	bpfd
9	27	OceanicAir
6	27	TheLetdown
5	26	Deacon
7	26	Lizardking
7	26	perfectchaos007
6	26	Subitai
7	25	Ganhyun
5	25	xeris
6	24	cashman
7	24	KingBrave1
6	24	truly101
4	23	AlteredBeast
7	23	Frustrated_Grunt
0	23	Googly Eyes Dog
0	23	Surge
5	22	Battlezone
5	21	Bucknuticus
7	18	Quake1028
4	17	Monroeski
0	16	Jerm411
0	14	GreenyMac
0	13	Stooge
6	12	nobuyuki
0	10	Garryk
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	HeySeuss
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	8	Frank Beamer
0	8	Jhriad
0	8	mre
0	8	whytemyke
0	7	fgfdgdfg
0	6	Chris R
0	5	tetromibi
4	4	LionPride
0	4	Titanoboa

I got this:

CFBGAF-Week5
The form CFBGAF-Week5 is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

Thanks for pointing that out. Should be fixed now.

jfkgoblue

Stop alluding to it and tell me, already! What is the insinuation or whatever that happened with Miles at Michigan?
It's a long story but here it goes(to my best recollection of what has been reported)

Gary Moeller was a long time Bo assistant, when Bo retired as coach in 1990, Moeller became the new Michigan coach. 4 years go by and Michigan is doing very well, beating OSU, recruiting at an elite level etc.

In 1994, Moeller has an extremely embarrassing drunken display that public ally shames the university and is fired. One of his good friends and assistants, Lloyd Carr is promoted to HC, and we all know what happens from there.

Now on to what Les Miles has to do with this: Les was also one of Moeller's assistants, and things were going well between them until that night. It has been reported that the cause of Moeller's drunken outburst was due to Les sleeping with his wife, and Gary finding out about it. Lloyd Carr subscribes to this belief that it was in fact, Les's fault and thus hates him.

Fast forward to 2007 and Lloyd Carr has just retired, and Michigan is seeking a replacement. Les Miles is considered one of the elite college football coaches leading a traditionally mediocre program to elite heights, this, of course, captures Michigan's attention. Michigan has a conference call with him, in which Les tells Michigan "Wait until after the National Championship, but I will never say no to Michigan". This satisfies the AD and the President and Michigan is set to just wait.

Now Lloyd was an integral part of the search for his replacement, and in no way, shape or form is he going to let Miles take over for him. So he knows Rich Rodriguez is the new hot young coach that everyone wants(turned down Bama the year before), but knows nothing about him.

This leads to Lloyd going around the school and Miles agent, and contacting RichRod himself, and begging him to come to Michigan. He then convince Bill Martin that they can't wait for Les, and so Rich Rodriguez is hired at Michigan.

It was a similar situation in 2011, for god knows what reason, Lloyd was still involved and has Dave Brandon(the idiot) wrapped around his finger. They really wanted Brady Hoke because they knew that they could control him, but they had to make the fans believe that they were doing "due diligence" so they talked to both Miles and Harbaugh about the job but were never going to offer it.

Fast forward to 2014 and Hoke was failing miserably, the fans were sick of the bs, and eventually the school was forced to fire Dave Brandon, and then Hoke at the end of the year. The first thing that Jim Haslett did was remove Lloyd from the hiring process, and focus on getting the best coach available without the pettiness from Lloyd and his cronies. Thus Jim Harbaugh was hired as Michigan's coach and here we are now.

I know that this is more than what you asked for, but felt the full story was needed to understand the context

TL;DR
Moeller got fired following a drunken outburst. Lloyd Carr believes it happened because Les was fucking Moeller's wife. He subsequently black balls Miles every time Michigan has an opening at HC.

bpfd

That's how I heard it as well. LLLLLLLoyd also believed that Miles used false rumors about Carr's health to negatively recruit Michigan recruits.

Subitai

I think I'm officially out of the pick em contention for the year.

In other news, the Big 12 had their eye on Clemson and FSU.
http://newsok.com/tramel-ou-not-anti-expansion-ou-is-anti-expansion-candidates/article/5520007
The Big 12 held out hope into July that it might eventually entice Florida State and Clemson to leave the ACC. Then came word that the ACC was forming a conference network, leaving the Big 12 as the only Power-5 league without such a marketing force, and that the ACC schools were signing away their media rights to the conference into 2037.

So I missed this earlier but apparently USC nominated running back Justin Davis for Pac 12 POTW.

They didn't bother giving him a single carry in the fourth quarter versus Utah.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The Big 12 is toast, it's only a matter of time before the implosion, and adding G5 schools won't help it.

It will help if they add ones that matter and then lock up a huge TV contract. It really has to be done this year, though. The already narrow window is closing...

BYU (Utah market, Mormons travel, 30+ seasons of being anywhere from decent to great)

Cincinatti (Ohio market, big population, only other team besides OSU worth a damn in the state)

UCF (Florida market, been pouring shit ton cash into facilities, massive alumni base. Scott Frost could bring them back into relevancy. Superfan GoldenEye 007 a Gaffer)

Less impactfuls, but still good adds:

Boise State (Mountain market, top 10 team of that past decade)
Northern Illinois (Illinois market)
Colorado St (get back Colorado market lost from CU's bolt to Pac 12)

They only need two.

Yeah, but the Big XII gains very little by adding them. I mean, if no one else says okay, then sure, why not, but there are better programs.

I'de be okay adding UH if we added 4 teams OR if we did a straight up Baylor ->UH trade. Of course who knows if the AAC would even take Baylor. Who cares not our problem!

Limedust

Regarding the Miles / Moeller drama...

The relaxed version of the story that I heard is that Moeller and his wife were having issues, and Mrs. Miles allowed Mrs. Moeller to stay at their house during the conflict, with Les being okay with that. Moeller hated Les for "taking sides" with the wife.

Seems more believable to me, and Les doesn't seem like a shitbag, but who really knows.

andycapps

The relaxed version of the story that I heard is that Moeller and his wife were having issues, and Mrs. Miles allowed Mrs. Moeller to stay at their house during the conflict, with Les being okay with that. Moeller hated Les for "taking sides" with the wife.

Seems more believable to me, and Les doesn't seem like a shitbag, but who really knows.

That seems a bit more likely to me, but maybe Les was a douche back then. Who knows.

jfkgoblue

Yeah that's possible as well(it does sound more believable), never heard that version though, and in the end it was the same result, just makes Lloyd even more petty.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know about Les, after the story I read on the podcast. He's a big fan of aggressive use of fingers. This could have merit.

Here's a mural to him from a local beer place thing:
Cthuv8CW8AQD-LS.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Yeah, but the Big XII gains very little by adding them. I mean, if no one else says okay, then sure, why not, but there are better programs.

Big 12 adds 20 million to the hopper by adding them. If you want to believe in the power of TV ratings, they try to get back in a top ten TV market which they lost to the SEC. I think the Big 12 sees it more about the added money than anything else, but TV does factor into it. At the end of the day I think it will be Houston and Cincy.

Big 12 is dead man walking for sure, but whoever gets added will take much less of a full share just to have a seat at the table for when the conference dance starts again in about 10 years.

I think I'm officially out of the pick em contention for the year.

In other news, the Big 12 had their eye on Clemson and FSU.
http://newsok.com/tramel-ou-not-anti-expansion-ou-is-anti-expansion-candidates/article/5520007

That's silliness. They were dreaming of Florida State and Clemson several years ago, which is part of the reason the ACC signed their original grant of rights in 2013 running through 2027. Florida State and Clemson were never going to be in the mix even before the ACC announced a network and extended the GOR through 2036.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
In what world would FSU/Clemson join the B12? SEC would make sense but hoping for those two in the B12 is more than wishful thinking.

FSU and Clemson/Miami leaving the ACC for the SEC or Big XII has been talked about at least since A&M left the Big XII. Obviously it was toned down the last several years but in 2011 and 2012 I remember it being a reasonably large topic of conversation. Not to say there was any kind of good chance they would have left the ACC since that original GOR a few years ago, just saying it's not a new topic of conversation.

The ACC never really turned into the powerhouse they thought they would be when Miami and Virginia Tech got added a decade or so ago. It may be very stable right now, but it wasn't in the recent past, and they're still the second least stable P5 conference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
FSU and Clemson/Miami leaving the ACC for the SEC or Big XII has been talked about at least since A&M left the Big XII. Obviously it was toned down the last several years but in 2011 and 2012 I remember it being a reasonably large topic of conversation. Not to say there was any kind of good chance they would have left the ACC since that original GOR a few years ago, just saying it's not a new topic of conversation.

The ACC never really turned into the powerhouse they thought they would be when Miami and Virginia Tech got added a decade or so ago. It may be very stable right now, but it wasn't in the recent past, and they're still the second least stable P5 conference.

Why would you consider Pac12 more stable than the ACC? Because Maryland left?

ryseing

I meant thinking that as recently as July. I hold no delusions about the stability of the ACC, but thinking in 2016 that those schools would leave is insanity.

P12 has the entire West Coast to themselves. ACC has B1G and SEC on their borders, and both have a TV network that could have led to some poaching if the ACC hadn't gotten their deal done.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Alabama LB Tim Williams arrested after carrying a pistol without a permit.

Well, at least they didn't shoot him.

Another Louisiana kid.

Though, no word on it being a stolen gun, and the charge says nothing about it being related to being "on campus". Maybe he'll miss a game, but this doesn't seem like much of a crime to me, unless certain people aren't supposed to be able to use their 2nd amendment rights.

Kelvin Reynolds ‏@Fox6Kelvin

Court docs say Williams was arrested by University of Alabama police in the parking lot of Publix on University Blvd.

Williams told officers the car was his. Someone else was in the driver's seat.
Two UA campus officers say they smelled burned marijuana in the area. They walked to a Chevy Impala where the scent became stronger.

Officers searched the car and found "a clear twist plastic bag holding marijuana in the center console." #TimWilliams

They also found a Glock 41 pistol under under the driver's seat. Williams and the driver were read their Miranda rights. #TimWilliams

During questioning, the driver said the marijuana was his and a friend named "Brandon Chicken" gave him the contraband to hold. #TimWliams

Williams produced a receipt for the gun from the gun store. He thought the gun receipt would qualify for a pistol permit. #TimWilliams

Williams said he had a temporary paper permit by the gun store, but didn't have the permit in his possession. #TimWilliams

Williams was asked if he had a permit for his gun. Williams told officers he bought it 3 weeks ago while home in Louisiana. #TimWilliams

Officers told Williams he needed a valid permit to conceal carry. They arrested him and took him to the Tuscaloosa County Jail. #TimWilliams

Williams was booked 2am and bonded out around 4am. His bond was $300.

Williams does not face any drug charges. He's only charged with carrying a pistol without a permit. #TimWilliams

Brandon Chicken, though, he might be a problem.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I meant thinking that as recently as July. I hold no delusions about the stability of the ACC, but thinking in 2016 that those schools would leave is insanity.

P12 has the entire West Coast to themselves. ACC has B1G and SEC on their borders, and both have a TV network that could have led to some poaching if the ACC hadn't gotten their deal done.

But they did get the deal done.

Draxal

Pac12 completely owns California (and the other west coast states but it is the big thing) and is filled with powerful public colleges, they fucked up on the network by not partnering with FOX or ESPN to get more coverage.

ACC's problem is that they have alot of good schools but they have Big Ten or Sec presence in their states.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

The ACC is just more "new blood" than the PAC-12. Nearly half of the ACC has only been in the conference since 2004, and a big chunk of that are refugees from a conference that had to change its name 2 years ago. The PAC's membership list has been consistent since the '70s outside of the recent additions of defecting P5 school and arguably the hottest G5 school in the country at the time. The PAC has much more of a shared history and togetherness vibe than the ACC. Plus, they have about a third of the country pretty much all to themselves out West; things are pretty crowded on the East coast.

Look no further than these conversations we're talking about half a decade ago - the ACC conversation was "FSU and Clemson/Miam may leave, can the conference survive?" and the PAC conversation was "are they going to destroy another P5 conference and and pilfer the schools they want?"

In the Big XII's defense, no matter how unrealistic it was, if they weren't going to be hoping for schools like FSU, Clemson, and Louisville to defect the next level down is the ::cough:: "less than impressive" group they're working with now. With that as the alternative I think being a bit pie-in-the-sky is acceptable.

Top Bottom