• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 2 |OT| Remember the L-amo? Liberty sure does.

I don't to want to quote that horrible Sumlin image but re: that shit, isn't it now a federal crime since it mailed? The "or else" inclusion definitely warrants criminal intent.

And about those Florida cancellations, Governor Rick Scott (known otherwise as Voldemort) issued a directive yesterday for all state universities, public schools and state offices to be closed Friday through Monday. I don't think I've seen a directive like that before. It's usually a recommendation but the counties make their own call.

That might explain the strange cancellations, like UCF when Memphis was already there ready to spank that Golden Knight ass.

The Miami game is one I always go to each season. I have a couple FSU friends who landed jobs there after graduating. So each season we all get up to talk shit to you Miami fucks, either in Tally or Miami.

But if the game gets rescheduled for October 7th, I'm going to miss it due to my wedding anniversary. But....uh...I'm pretty sure my wife will be ok with me watching the game, right?

The Miami game is one I always go to each season. I have a couple FSU friends who landed jobs there after graduating. So each season we all get up to talk shit to you Miami fucks, either in Tally or Miami.

But if the game gets rescheduled for October 7th, I'm going to miss it due to my wedding anniversary. But....uh...I'm pretty sure my wife will be ok with me watching the game, right?
I mean I would think? She knows this is your thing right?

You deserve this for getting married in the fall, you monster

1) Who the hell gets married in the fall?
2) In all seriousness, yeah, I'd hope she'd be cool giving you 3 hrs to watch a game lol. Just make it up to her before or after.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
With the Stanford-USC game this week, let us join in on ESPN's look back of this great moment ten years ago:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...man-stanford-pulled-biggest-upset-cfb-history

"What I do remember is, I don't think [quarterback] Tavita [Pritchard] got the playcall in. It was really loud, and for some reason Jim decided not to signal the play in," said Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, a wide receiver on that 2007 Stanford team. "So, we kind of were flying by the seat of our pants. Tavita just called the play that he thought Jim would have wanted to call, which was a simple double go route.

"He was really looking for Evan [Moore] or Mark [Bradford] on the play if he could get them. On that play, I got the middle of the field open and a closed read. If it's open, then I take down the middle and run a post route. If it's closed, I run basic. But at that point in time, a basic route wouldn't have gotten us a first down, so I took a post versus a single-safety look because we didn't really have a choice."

Pritchard delivered a perfect ball and Sherman took a crushing hit that cracked a rib. It was a first down at the 9 by a matter of inches. Stanford had two timeouts left and on first down Pritchard carried to the 5. He connected with Moore on the next play, but he came down out of bounds. Third down: End zone fade to Moore. Incomplete.

Harbaugh called timeout to talk things over.

USC, under Pete Carroll, entered the game ranked No. 2 in the AP poll -- No. 1 in the coaches' poll. The Trojans were riding winning streaks of 35 games at home and 24 in conference play.

While Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush & Co. were long gone from the USC offense, its defense was loaded. The Trojans were so stacked that future NFL star Clay Matthews, in his fourth year in the program, served primarily on special teams and in a backup role at linebacker behind early NFL draft picks Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers.

David Shaw was Stanford's offensive coordinator at the time and remembers preparing for the game with no idea how the Cardinal would move the ball.

"[The USC] offense had some skill and talent, but the defense, in my mind, was still legendary and so we really had a very conservative game plan," Shaw said. "For a team that was to a certain degree overmatched talent-wise, we knew we had ability and we knew that if we kept it tight we would have a chance at the end of the game."

Going into it, however, there was no reason to give the Cardinal a shot. After four games, Stanford was 1-3, suffering lopsided losses to UCLA, Oregon and Arizona State. Its only win had come against lowly San Jose State.

Then things got worse. The morning after a 41-3 loss to the Sun Devils, starting quarterback T.C. Ostrander suffered a seizure while out to breakfast with his family. Moore and his family were there, too, and watched as he collapsed.

Ostrander would ultimately be fine, but there was no way he would play the following week when Stanford traveled to Los Angeles for the USC game. Redshirt sophomore Tavita Pritchard would have to make his first career start.

There was also a question of whether Bradford, the team's best receiver, would play. Prior to the game against Arizona State, Bradford's father died of a heart attack and he spent the week with his family in Southern California.

Bradford could have skipped the game, but he grew up near the Coliseum and attended USC games with his father. He felt that playing would be a way to honor his dad and escape from his grief.

With all that, oddsmakers installed USC as a 41-point favorite.

"As far as spreads go, that's embarrassing. To think a conference game would be a 40-plus-point spread. It's mind-blowing, the disrespect going into that game," Moore said. "We hadn't played great ball leading up to that, but 41 points? That's insane. A conference game, 41 points?"

On the sideline during the timeout, Stanford discussed its options.

Harbaugh liked the second-down playcall and decided to go back to it, with a minor twist. The formation had three receivers to the right -- Sherman, Moore and Bradford -- and one on the left, Ryan Whalen. This time, Bradford would be the single receiver -- but not before the Cardinal was backed up five yards for having 12 men on the field coming out of the timeout.

"I really thought they would throw the ball to Evan," Bradford said. "But the ball was designed to go to whoever was single-covered, and when we lined up, I knew it was me."

Bradford remembers the play vividly, as if it occurred in slow motion. During the route, he recalls a sense of quiet taking over. He looked back, saw the ball and began checking things off in his head.

"OK, clear my man, go up, grab the ball, make sure I got it. Make sure my leg is down," he said. "Make sure I secure it and he doesn't rip it out of my hand, and then make sure my foot is in. Then make sure I didn't bobble it. Then I remember looking at the ref thinking I checked off everything. It was meant to be."

"Once I saw him go up, there was no question in the world that he scored," Sherman said. "I was just juiced for him, knowing everything that he had been through that week and knowing everything that he would be going through in the future. You don't get your dad back no matter what happens in that game. I was just glad he could have that moment."

lol USC

cdyhybrid

Speaking of USC

SNp8TrQ.jpg

🤔

I don't to want to quote that horrible Sumlin image but re: that shit, isn't it now a federal crime since it mailed? The "or else" inclusion definitely warrants criminal intent.

And about those Florida cancellations, Governor Rick Scott (known otherwise as Voldemort) issued a directive yesterday for all state universities, public schools and state offices to be closed Friday through Monday. I don't think I've seen a directive like that before. It's usually a recommendation but the counties make their own call.

That might explain the strange cancellations, like UCF when Memphis was already there ready to spank that Golden Knight ass.
Apparently UCF was blindsided by it. Memphis was the one who went through back channels to push the cancellation, using Scott's announcement as justification. UCF didn't even have a formal announcement of it until this morning. That's how off guard they were. Memphis would have been back tonight over 24 hours before any winds were felt in Orlando. I also heard Memphis refused to agree to play Thursday.

Also, UCF hasn't lost to Memphis in like 15 years lol.

I mean I would think? She knows this is your thing right?

Oh yeah. I take the family to at least 3 games in Tally each season. It's just the Miami game I make sure to go to every season. As soon as the date is announced, I book hotels and put in my PTO request.

So yeah, she already knows I'll be glued to the TV during the game.

It's like my uncle always said, it's never too early to get divorced.

You deserve this for getting married in the fall, you monster

1) Who the hell gets married in the fall?
2) In all seriousness, yeah, I'd hope she'd be cool giving you 3 hrs to watch a game lol. Just make it up to her before or after.

It was a fight that I never had a chance of winning...not with the in-laws paying for everything. My mother-in-law is a 2nd gen Japanese immigrant, and I guess it's a family tradition to get married in the Fall. About the only input I had in the wedding was the food and some of the songs the DJ played.

I went to that USC vs Stanford game. It was really obvious in the stands that John David Booty was not well (he broke his thumb during the game) but they kept letting him throw despite the insane depth they had at running back.

Pete Carroll sure has a lot of brain fart games, most of them seemed to come vs Oregon State though.

Velcro Fly

Excitement is up at Purdue. Makes me feel proud even though I couldn't watch the game last night. I know it is only Ohio but Purdue the past few years struggled to beat anyone. So being able to go out and thrash someone is a good step. This team has fight. Now in a few years if they are good again I hope Brohm doesn't want to leave :(

I can't imagine Louisville's defense is so bad that Brandon Harris could conceivably outduel Lamar Jackson. Geez.

Louisville starting center can't really have 11 false starts already. I heard that wrong, right?

Cam Robinson plays center for Louisville?

I can't imagine Louisville's defense is so bad that Brandon Harris could conceivably outduel Lamar Jackson. Geez.

Cam Robinson plays center for Louisville?

They started their redshirt freshman, Chazz something-or-another. And he looked really nice on that opening possession.

Standing by my upset pick still, but you're right about Harris being a steaming pile.

This Iowa possession is my kind of 10+ plays, 80 yard drive ending in a touchdown. The play-by-play of that would probably read like a sext to me.

They started their redshirt freshman, Chazz something-or-another. And he looked really nice on that opening possession.

Standing by my upset pick still, but you're right about Harris being a steaming pile.

Ahh. That'd explain it. I saw UNC scored in like 3 plays on their first possession and was confused as hell.

I might be able to watch the games tonight. Moved some things around. Please, God.

Zeke

Im going to the Texas A&M game tonight. It will be my first college game so I'm pretty excited about it. Wish I was up there already to enjoy the tailgating. GIG'EM!

Calamari41

41 > 38
With the Stanford-USC game this week, let us join in on ESPN's look back of this great moment ten years ago:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...man-stanford-pulled-biggest-upset-cfb-history

lol USC

Booty rode his bike through a red light directly in front of me like two days before that game and I slammed on the brakes, barely avoiding him.

I've regretted that ever since.

Pete Carroll sure has a lot of brain fart games, most of them seemed to come vs Oregon State though.

We essentially missed out on playing in three title games in a row because Peter couldn't get it done against teams in what should have been gimme, or close to gimme, games. The Ucla disaster in 06, Stanford in 07, and Oregon State in 08. Sad!

ag-my001

Who's gonna tell him?
Nicholls State will be a nice way to break him in. He'll hear lots of comments about the coaching, but against an FCS team there won't be that sense of looming dread.

Plus, if he's got a date, there will be tons of kissing opportunities.

Top Bottom