• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbia University invites Ahmadinejad to Speak on Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Probably. But I agree with him.

He's on the offensive now.

And Ahmadinejad is cut off. But Coatsworth gives him an extra minute, a decision that is greated by applause.

? No CommentsTags: Uncategorized
Criticism
September 24th, 2007 · No Comments

Ahmadinejad argues that he should have the chance to ask these questions about the Holocaust without being attacked. “Why should an academic face insults,” he asked. “Is this what you call freedom?”

? No CommentsTags: Uncategorized
Question two from Ahmadinejad:
September 24th, 2007 · 2 Comments

If this is a reality, we have to still question whether the Palestinian people should still pay for it? Why are the Palestinians paying the price for an event they had nothing to do with?

besada

Banned
He's basically dodging the question of whether Israel should exist by pretending that Israel doesn't exist. He keeps talking about a Palestinian referendum, but what he's actually talking about is a referendum of all the people in Israel and Palestine, as he doesn't recognize Israel as a government, ergo it's Palestine.

Of course, since the number of Palestinians is approx. 11 million versus 9 million Jews, the problem resolves itself nicely for him.

Y2Kev

“In Iran, we don’t have homosexuals like you have in your country … I don’t know who’s told you we have it.”

The audience is responding with boos and laughs.

lolol

Archer

Phoenix said:
Letting this guy in and letting him speak is something that I personally think makes sense. Regardless of his views, if people want to see him/meet him/ask him questions and the like - that's a good thing. One should NEVER be quick to stiffle speech, even if its speech you don't want to hear.

I applaud Columbia for doing it.

+1

besada

Banned
HomShaBom said:
He just called US politicians retarded.

Well, that's pretty fair. I liked how he made sure to tell everyone he was going to tell a joke and then called them retarded, though. Amazing comic timing.

Y2Kev

besada said:
I wonder if that invitation is open to the Columbia GLBT groups?

why would they go there? there is a natural forcefield around iran apparently for the gayz

:lol I can't wait to see this

I want to hear the full thing though. I'd rather they don't seize on key comments like the homosexuals thing... I want to hear everything he says.

besada

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
:lol I can't wait to see this

I want to hear the full thing though. I'd rather they don't seize on key comments like the homosexuals thing... I want to hear everything he says.

Um, we were just listening to him live. There was plenty to seize on. him getting booed and laughed at was particularly enjoyable.

besada said:
Um, we were just listening to him live. There was plenty to seize on. him getting booed and laughed at was particularly enjoyable.

I'm sure it was... I missed it. So I tell you what -- I'll listen/watch it myself, and take from it whatever I like without settling for you (or anyone else) editing it or summarising it for me. Thanks.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don't like the way it went. The questions were biased and did not make him commit. Although I did not expect them to be kind to Ahmadinejad, I did find them to be a little bit rude in the beginning. He also side-stepped a lot of the questions, and they did not press him enough on his international relations. Is he really a professor still? I'd like to take his class! :lol

besada

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I'm sure it was... I missed it. So I tell you what -- I'll listen/watch it myself, and take from it whatever I like without settling for you (or anyone else) editing it or summarising it for me. Thanks.

Yeah, that's fine. You just appeared to be under the impression that it was some sort of news program soundbyte. No need to get your panties in a wad.

FightyF

Banned
APF said:
So asking a question unrelated to issues of translation is debating the translation.

Yeah...this is pretty much the basis of why I think you're the stupidest person I've ever met. You're debating the meanings of the words, meaning you are debating the translation. You never consider that other languages are loaded with meaning, that words in Farsi, Greek, Latin, Arabic, are loaded with meaning.

I'm glad you made this last comment, it totally "sealed the deal". :lol

If you're not willing to accept that he did not advocate for nuclear genocide, it's your problem. I did all that I could in attempting to educate you, I'm done with you.

Thanks a lot Y2Kev! GAF Pic Feed >>>> Mass Media, heheh

I look forward to a transcript...

More blunt dialogue like this is many times more useful than sabre-rattling.

APF

If you can't discuss the meaning of a translated work, what's the point in translating something? Or are you trying to make a largely irrelevant critique of communication as an enterprise?

Phoenix

APF said:
Again, where's my speaking engagement? "Freedom of speech" does not obligate an institution to invite everyone to speak; it only obligates the government to refrain from restricting speech.

I guess they don't care what you have to say - or just don't know that you exist.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
besada said:
He's basically dodging the question of whether Israel should exist by pretending that Israel doesn't exist. He keeps talking about a Palestinian referendum, but what he's actually talking about is a referendum of all the people in Israel and Palestine, as he doesn't recognize Israel as a government, ergo it's Palestine.

Of course, since the number of Palestinians is approx. 11 million versus 9 million Jews, the problem resolves itself nicely for him.

Yep. He's done the math.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
ahmadinejad_soccer.jpg

ahmadinejadtime.jpg

I mean c'mon, he can't be all that bad. :D

brocke

Banned
Wouldn't there be some high risk that a kid freaks out and injures the guy? I bet he has some insane security there.

Futureman

Well I just read the NY Times blog of the event.

The opening remarks by Bollinger seemed rather harsh. I don't know if he would have been so harsh if there wasn't such a huge uproar over this event. Perhaps he felt he had to come out swinging so Columbia could save some face over the whole incident.

Going by the Times account of Ahmadinejad's speech, I like a lot of what he said, but it really remains an issue of whether he's being honest or not. He seems to have clarified his ideas on Israel, stating that the creation of the state of Israel has been an uncalled for intrusion on the Palestinian people.

Of course he has to make his comments about gays not existing in Iran, and we'll probably see the media latching onto that one comment obscuring the rest of his speech.

I saw an alumni on Larry Kng who was upset about the visit complain about Columbia using free speech as an excuse and yet not leting ROTC or any recruiting material on the campus whats so ever.

APF

Futureman said:
Of course he has to make his comments about gays not existing in Iran, and we'll probably see the media latching onto that one comment breaking through the Potemkin Village facade
Fixed for reality-based community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom