• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The one guy who said that there are only grimdark Marvel comics and that they should diversify their lineup like they did with the movies 😂

Unsubbed.
Is the second article still worth reading?

No one keep up with Abe sapien nah? Pretty sure it's the last issue today. If I was a monthly reader that would be a huge deal to me, series has been great all the way through, with some incredible art.

28317.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know its a weekly comic and it must be this way, but man, the constant cliffhanger each four pages before Batman Eternal changes the subplot are fucking annoying.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
That OT thread feels like a trap for banning juniors. I really want to go to town on a certain "newprint" person, but I don't want the banhammer.

Owzers

If all comics were done with stick figures they could ship them as many times as they wanted per month, the industry would be saved.

They'd still be $4.99 though.

Amazing Spider-Man #17: I think if you were to bring a box of modern comics back to the writers of the Silver Age, the 6-issue arc would make sense to most of them. After all, they were already telling stories that wove complex soap operas in such a way that it's often hard to even divide many of those books into clean 'arcs.' I imagine you'd get a lot of "seemed like that's sort of where things were going" and "that makes a lot of sense."

These prelude arcs though, would be laughed off. They are a bad idea and I'm officially tired of them. This entire issue was completely unnecessary and I question the storytelling of
spending an issue telling us about how Hobie came under the Jackal's control rather than keeping that for a reveal.
Those guys would have used maybe 15-20% of this, sprinkling it here or there in the preceding arc. Not spend issue after issue just leading up to the big event. Even with events I have really liked, like Spider Island, the prelude stuff is no good for me. Get right to it. Spend a couple of issues giving us some nice vignettes. Anything but this. Start the story where it begins.

The alternative scenario is when the issues are labeled as being part of the event but actually have nothing to do with it, and that isn't any better. A recent example would be Invincible Iron Man's CWII issues, which only "tied in" to that event because Rhodey happened to be in them. That's dumb.

Hal Jordan's been a part of a lot of cool stories, too, but it doesn't make him any more or less boring. That's not the main point, though. My main point is that my issue with Warren is currently what's happening in All-New X-Men, which is actually both interesting and frustrating. SPOILERS FOR ANXM #12
On the frustration side, it feels like Warren suffers from the Jean Grey problem: we had one cool story revolving around a singular character-exclusive plot element, and now every story we tell afterwards with this character is going to involve that element. Or we just end up skirting around it. In Jean's case, that was the Phoenix and in Warren's, it's Archangel. Now, that's not to discredit any of those stories. They're good fucking stories, but it doesn't change my ultimate point of "We don't know what to do with this character, so we'll just keep doing the same thing again and again." Same thing with DC and Red Hood and Arsenal. "What do we do with Red Hood? Don't know? Have we done a story about him being the angriest Robin and how he was killed and he's not dead? DO THAT!" or "Arsenal? Have we done a story about him being an addict? Something along those lines? DO THAT! Wait, he had a kid? We killed her though, right? So now he's an addict? DO THAT!"

Now, on the side of interest: I find it incredibly interesting that the O5 are falling into the same traps that their adult selves did. I brought it up before with Hank going behind his team members' collective backs by experimenting with time travel in order to bring them back. Something that adult Hank was called out for and subsequently ostracized. So now young Hank, despite pushing that he and the rest of the O5 would choose their own paths, they are actually doing the same shit. Actually, it's happening to them even earlier in life due to their premature exposure to their futures. This little revelation is proved to be even more interesting given that Warren, the one that was the absolute biggest proponent for changing his future due to the whole Archangel-into-tabula-rasa future he has going for him, is actually going through a similar thing to Archangel yet again. His cosmic powers that he chose to keep have now taken a hold over him, as they get hotter and hotter which is forcing him to find a release. Obviously, that means burning the shit out of bad guys. Laura even comments on how he looked (something along the lines of crazy) when he was fire blasting all those demons, which I think is even more interesting that she'd be the one there, given that she's worked with adult Warren before on X-Force and has seen first hand what the Archangel persona would do to him.

Basically, I'm getting exhausted of these characters showing up and getting the same stories again and again, but I'm forgiving this one because the whole arc of these characters falling into the same traps regardless of age or motivations is an intriguing one and really is the only reason why I'm still reading ANXM.

And no, I'm not even bothering to bring up the current Uncanny book, because that shit is terrible and incredibly stupid.

Fair points, BK. I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing where that is going in ANXM.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Pull List for Sept. (bolded the must buys for me):

Black Panther #6; Doctor Strange #11/12; All-Star Batman #2; Batgirl #3; Batgirl and the BoP #2; Batman #6/7; Hellblazer #2; Nightwing #4/5; Titans #3; Doom Patrol #1; Black Monday Murders #2; Hadrian's Wall #1; Horizon #3; Kill or be Killed #2; Saga #38; Seven to Eternity #1; Black Hammer #3; Archangel #3 (if it gets released).

Going to pay attention to Civil War II #5, or is it #6? (do I really care?); final CW II X-Men #4; Uncanny X-Men #12/13 (only way to get a Psylocke fix); Batman Beyond Rebirth #1; Cyborg Rebirth #1; Frostbite #1; Action and Detective Comics if those are starting new arcs.

How has this series been man? Was really interested when it was announced, both for Gibson & Guice, but I haven;t really seen much of anything about it yet.

I didn't like the first issue but I can't recall much about it. I'm sure I posted about it whenever it came out...hmmm...lemme see if I can find that post...

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
How has this series been man? Was really interested when it was announced, both for Gibson & Guice, but I haven;t really seen much of anything about it yet.

The first two issues have been great. It helps if you have read Gibson's last novel The Peripheral as he is reusing the central conceit. I have no idea what's going on with the release schedule, though, and neither does my LCS.

I didn't like the first issue but I can't recall much about it. I'm sure I posted about it whenever it came out...hmmm...lemme see if I can find that post...

LOL of course echo's post would come first.

I should say I did my grad research work on William Gibson and cyberpunk, so I'm probably a bit biased.

Yeahhhh no I did not like that book.

Oof, Archangel is one of the worst comics I have read in a long time. The dialogue is wooden, the characters flat, the story kinda just a mess and all over the place, the storytelling itself is heavily flawed as transitions aren't always quite clear and the flow of the plot is extremely rough.

William Gibson is a living legend responsible for some of the best sci-fi ever written. He doesn't seem to know how to write a comic book. In fact the book made me appreciate just how difficult writing comics can be.

That was back in the innocent days before Daredevil Annual #1 which reminded me that comics could be much much much worse. Surprised it's only up to #3.

GODDAMN.

And Yu and Bunn on a book... c'mon, man.

I'm generally unfair to art, it's true. I focus too much on story. Like I should have noted in my ASM review above that there is a gorgeous shot of the new armored suit in the LA sun that I adored. But story is what I know how to talk about, I don't feel like I have enough of a critical eye for art to say much about it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
whoever is doing Sep OT - please include a note about the Battle for the Cowl ComicGAF's First Annual Fantasy Football League - 3 spots left!

1) jon bones
2) Tragicomedy
3) TheFlow
4) KoruptData
5) Bii
6) RepairmanJack
7) Zombine
8) Brian Fellows
9) Mudcrab

Hmm. When's your draft?

we still gotta figure that out

what say you, ComicGAF FF league - a week from tonight?

Wed, September 7th
draft?

Sandfox

Fucking facts right here

Hal Jordan's been a part of a lot of cool stories, too, but it doesn't make him any more or less boring. That's not the main point, though. My main point is that my issue with Warren is currently what's happening in All-New X-Men, which is actually both interesting and frustrating. SPOILERS FOR ANXM #12
On the frustration side, it feels like Warren suffers from the Jean Grey problem: we had one cool story revolving around a singular character-exclusive plot element, and now every story we tell afterwards with this character is going to involve that element. Or we just end up skirting around it. In Jean's case, that was the Phoenix and in Warren's, it's Archangel. Now, that's not to discredit any of those stories. They're good fucking stories, but it doesn't change my ultimate point of "We don't know what to do with this character, so we'll just keep doing the same thing again and again." Same thing with DC and Red Hood and Arsenal. "What do we do with Red Hood? Don't know? Have we done a story about him being the angriest Robin and how he was killed and he's not dead? DO THAT!" or "Arsenal? Have we done a story about him being an addict? Something along those lines? DO THAT! Wait, he had a kid? We killed her though, right? So now he's an addict? DO THAT!"

Now, on the side of interest: I find it incredibly interesting that the O5 are falling into the same traps that their adult selves did. I brought it up before with Hank going behind his team members' collective backs by experimenting with time travel in order to bring them back. Something that adult Hank was called out for and subsequently ostracized. So now young Hank, despite pushing that he and the rest of the O5 would choose their own paths, they are actually doing the same shit. Actually, it's happening to them even earlier in life due to their premature exposure to their futures. This little revelation is proved to be even more interesting given that Warren, the one that was the absolute biggest proponent for changing his future due to the whole Archangel-into-tabula-rasa future he has going for him, is actually going through a similar thing to Archangel yet again. His cosmic powers that he chose to keep have now taken a hold over him, as they get hotter and hotter which is forcing him to find a release. Obviously, that means burning the shit out of bad guys. Laura even comments on how he looked (something along the lines of crazy) when he was fire blasting all those demons, which I think is even more interesting that she'd be the one there, given that she's worked with adult Warren before on X-Force and has seen first hand what the Archangel persona would do to him.

Basically, I'm getting exhausted of these characters showing up and getting the same stories again and again, but I'm forgiving this one because the whole arc of these characters falling into the same traps regardless of age or motivations is an intriguing one and really is the only reason why I'm still reading ANXM.

And no, I'm not even bothering to bring up the current Uncanny book, because that shit is terrible and incredibly stupid.
One thing I like about ANXM is that every character is getting issues just focusing on them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Pull List for Sept. (bolded the must buys for me):

Black Panther #6; Doctor Strange #11/12; All-Star Batman #2; Batgirl #3; Batgirl and the BoP #2; Batman #6/7; Hellblazer #2; Nightwing #4/5; Titans #3; Doom Patrol #1; Black Monday Murders #2; Hadrian's Wall #1; Horizon #3; Kill or be Killed #2; Saga #38; Seven to Eternity #1; Black Hammer #3; Archangel #3 (if it gets released).

Going to pay attention to Civil War II #5, or is it #6? (do I really care?); final CW II X-Men #4; Uncanny X-Men #12/13 (only way to get a Psylocke fix); Batman Beyond Rebirth #1; Cyborg Rebirth #1; Frostbite #1; Action and Detective Comics if those are starting new arcs.

How are you feeling about Horizon after two issues? I'm pretty bored with it so far.

The first two issues have been great. It helps if you have read Gibson's last novel The Peripheral as he is reusing the central conceit. I have no idea what's going on with the release schedule, though, and neither does my LCS.

LOL of course echo's post would come first.

I should say I did my grad research work on William Gibson and cyberpunk, so I'm probably a bit biased.

!!!! The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: God versus man; day versus night; Son of Krypton versus Bat of Gotham!

Thanks for the response guys haha, both the positive and the negative, I will keep it in mind when the trade drops. The release schedule would example why I've saw very little about it though

Top Bottom